HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Wolski - Interesting stat

Old
12-24-2006, 12:17 PM
12# Peter Bondra

vCash: 500
Wolski - Interesting stat

(Taken off nhl.com) THIS SEASON - Ranks among the NHL rookie leaders in goals (8), assists (13) and points (21). - Has not committed a penalty in 33 games this season. - He and Toronto's Kyle Wellwood are the only NHL players to skate in at least 30 games without a penalty minute

Is that a good or bad stat to have? On one hand Im happy he doesnt hook up players but on the other hand Id like him to be more physical and hit guys more.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Wolski could use his body more effectively and play with more 'heart'. He just isn't there every game, but he's still a prospect with huge upside. Yes, Stastny might be more ready than Wolski is now, but in few years i think Wolski will put up more points than Stastny. Wolski has so much talent and potential. You can see that just watching him. Hopefully in near future he can add another gear to his game.

It's good not to take bad penalties.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 04:59 PM
SB

I have a soft spot for Wolski, because my son is just like that. He plays lacrosse in the summer, defense, and has never committed a penalty -- in 2 years. And this is the age when kids are hitting each other about the head all the time.

He doesn't play hockey anymore; his main sport is soccer, and of course he's a striker. He's 5'5" at age 11, great skills, LOVES to score, but isn't so concerned about the rest of it. He likes setting up scores, too; he isn't a ball hog. With 10 field players, you worry less about him playing defense, but it would be nice if he was a little more tenacious about winning the ball even in the attacking end.

Actually, it drives me crazy sometimes. His coaches salivate over his size and skill and potential, but some pull their hair out over his seeming lackadaisical play.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Gene Freak

Ummm... this is definitely a good thing. It means he has a good understanding of the new NHL's rules. And he's not here to "rough up" other players or even play an overly-physical game. That's not the Avalanche's style, let alone Wolski's. We have one guy on our team for that reason, Laperierre.

Gene Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2006, 11:05 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Although he only has 18 hits on the season, he's only behind vaananen, klee, skrastins, clark, brisebois, lappy, and rycroft. he's been MUCH better in terms of finishing his checks lately. I think this is a great thing. rather than pulling a svatos and instinctively hooking a player when beat, i think it shows that he skates his butt off to try and catch the player rather than take a penalty. he COULD be more physical which would probably lead to a few penalties, BUT it's great that he simply isn't taking them.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whutthizzit View Post
Ummm... this is definitely a good thing. It means he has a good understanding of the new NHL's rules. And he's not here to "rough up" other players or even play an overly-physical game. That's not the Avalanche's style, let alone Wolski's. We have one guy on our team for that reason, Laperierre.
It's pretty sad that we only have one though.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 04:28 AM
44magnumopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
It's pretty sad that we only have one though.
Remember Simon? Parker? Worrell? Parros and his one game? Where are they? The Avs hate physicality.

44magnumopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 04:42 AM
Westguy13

You don't have to rack up the penatlies to play a physical game. Look at Madden a great defensive player plays very physical and has only 6 PIMs so far this season. Wolski could play alittle more physical but the great thing about him is he is a very controlled player and that will carry over if he decides to play a more physical game.

Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2006, 10:35 AM
CrossCheck

if Im not mistaken, I thnik that wellwood already had a full major junior season without PIM !!!!

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2006, 04:01 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnumopus View Post
Remember Simon? Parker? Worrell? Parros and his one game? Where are they? The Avs hate physicality.
I agree that the Avs definitely underrate the physical part of the game, but I don't think we need a guy like Simon, Parker, Worrell, or Parros. We just need a couple guys that will finish their checks, and not get pushed around all the time.

Losing Kono was a big blow for many reasons, but it also made this team even softer than it already was. Not that I think we need to be a huge team that bullies guys around, just not the softest team in the league. Even when you look at a smaller team like Buffalo, they have a couple bigger guys, but even the smaller players finish their checks. They have a kind of hockey toughness that we don't have.

It's not just a matter of physicality either. It makes for a better team IMO. You get into the game and are less likely to take shifts off and just float around, plus the most simplistic reason of them all is it takes your man out of the play. Perfect example was in the last game where the Avs had been finishing their checks more often. Wolski took out his man along the boards who had just tried to pass the puck out of the zone, which forced him to rush the pass, and it lead to a turnover and a two on one. You take one guy out of the play for a couple seconds, and one of your guys will be open. Same goes for the defensive zone. You take out one guy and maybe force a bad pass, or at the very least take away a passing option for the guy with the puck.

Old
12-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Draft Dodger

Wolski is just lucky that they don't give out penalties for standing around and watching...

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Wolski is just lucky that they don't give out penalties for standing around and watching...
I guess you haven't watched the last 10 or so games?

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Draft Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
I guess you haven't watched the last 10 or so games?
I watch every game, and focus quite a bit on #8. The key here is to watch what he's doing when he doesn't have the puck. I think if you do the same, you might be surprised. and yes, even over the last 10 games.

Old
12-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
I watch every game, and focus quite a bit on #8. The key here is to watch what he's doing when he doesn't have the puck. I think if you do the same, you might be surprised. and yes, even over the last 10 games.
I think over the last 8-10 games or so he has been alot more assertive and trying to initiate a little more contact. We can't expect him to be like Lappy and hit everything that moves and play amazing defensively just like we can't ask Lappy to score 25 goals and get 40 assists. Wolski is a skill player. I'm not saying he should just coast all the time but I think he has been alot better the last 8-10 games and we shouldn't expect so much physical play from a player like him especially when he is only 20 years old.

Old
12-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Draft Dodger

Quote:
I think over the last 8-10 games or so he has been alot more assertive and trying to initiate a little more contact. We can't expect him to be like Lappy and hit everything that moves and play amazing defensively just like we can't ask Lappy to score 25 goals and get 40 assists. Wolski is a skill player. I'm not saying he should just coast all the time but I think he has been alot better the last 8-10 games and we shouldn't expect so much physical play from a player like him especially when he is only 20 years old.
I actually don't expect much in the way of physical play from him - today, or down the road. I just don't think he's that kind of player. and that's ok.

But he does need to move around a bit more. He spends too much time watching the play, in all 3 zones. My biggest complaint is when he's trying to get back to help defensively on an odd-man rush. I know he's not the fastest guy in the NHL, but I think my grandmother could hustle back faster than he does, and that's not ok.

I agree that he's had a couple of good effort games since he was scratched. But he's also had a couple of real crap efforts too (the previous Chicago game, for example), and that's disturbing, because I think good work ethic is something that can't really be taught.

sorry if my half-joking aside trainwrecked the thread.

Old
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
I actually don't expect much in the way of physical play from him - today, or down the road. I just don't think he's that kind of player. and that's ok.

But he does need to move around a bit more. He spends too much time watching the play, in all 3 zones. My biggest complaint is when he's trying to get back to help defensively on an odd-man rush. I know he's not the fastest guy in the NHL, but I think my grandmother could hustle back faster than he does, and that's not ok.

I agree that he's had a couple of good effort games since he was scratched. But he's also had a couple of real crap efforts too (the previous Chicago game, for example), and that's disturbing, because I think good work ethic is something that can't really be taught.

sorry if my half-joking aside trainwrecked the thread.
I see your point I'm just saying some have too high expectations in respect to defensive play. He is only 20 and is known as a highly skilled player so give it time.

Old
12-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I see your point I'm just saying some have too high expectations in respect to defensive play. He is only 20 and is known as a highly skilled player so give it time.
It's not his defensive play that worries me, that I'm willing to wait out. It's more his lack of intensity most of the time. He looked much better in the last game, and looked hungry to score or make a play, but for most of the year he hasn't had that hunger. He seems to give up too easily on plays sometimes. I see him make weak efforts for loose pucks all the time, and when he does have the puck and an opposition player comes towards him, he loses control of the puck because he's too concerned about getting hit. Hopefully the last game will be a sign of things to come, and not just one game, becuase we need him playing with that level of intensity.

Old
12-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Roy33

Quote:
It's not his defensive play that worries me, that I'm willing to wait out. It's more his lack of intensity most of the time. He looked much better in the last game, and looked hungry to score or make a play, but for most of the year he hasn't had that hunger. He seems to give up too easily on plays sometimes. I see him make weak efforts for loose pucks all the time, and when he does have the puck and an opposition player comes towards him, he loses control of the puck because he's too concerned about getting hit. Hopefully the last game will be a sign of things to come, and not just one game, becuase we need him playing with that level of intensity.
Again, I couldn't agree more. I didn't see the CHI game, but tonight, he was obviously a beast. The hit at the end of the 1st said a lot to me. As well as the move on the 2nd goal. He seems to really be getting some confidence. I didn't see him get sticked, muchless knocked, off the puck much tonight. My biggest disappointment so far was how little control of the puck he has when it's on his stick. I truly think a shorter stick might help; but what do I know.

Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2006, 11:47 PM
SB

Quote:
Interesting bit about this -- on the radio pregame interview with WW, he was asked reasons he was playing better, and one thing (the only thing?) he mentioned was that he doesn't get so tired anymore.

That would explain a lot -- it's hard to be intense if you're pooped.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 01:40 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Wolski has really turned it on as of late. He's shown us quite a few glimpses of his future potential, and I truly think he'll be one of those players that will be able to hit it. As his body grows more conditioned to the NHL I think we'll see him use it more effectivel.

We just need a Canadian National team to tell him he's not good enough

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Draft Dodger

and, of course, he goes out and puts in his best game of the season...and takes his first penalty.

Old
12-29-2006, 03:53 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Size Queens!

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote