HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MTL should find a way to lower the cost of defensive line

Old
11-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Darth Joker

vCash: 500
Just keep the term reasonably short, and it's manageable.

We're going to be getting this year and the next of the Gallys on EL contracts. That means we'll have two excellent Top 9 forwards for less than a million each. Should Bournival continue to be productive, we'll have three excellent Top 9 forwards for less than a million each. That means we can afford to overspend on D for the next year and a half.

After the 2014-15 season, we'll have to make a choice. We'll probably have to pick two out of three between Markov, Gorges, and Emelin (presuming that Markov sticks around beyond this season, and that he doesn't choose to retire at this point). All three should at least give you decent return in a trade. And if Tinordi and/or Beaulieu develop as hoped then the choice shouldn't be that painful.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Patty Roy

I don't disagree with this thread. To me there is just no way that Markov, Gorges and Diaz are all playing for us next season. It's got to be 2/3 at most.

IF we re-sign Markov, i let Diaz go.

IF for some reason Markov is asking for an unreasonable deal, then i could see them falling back and signing Diaz and then looking to see whats out there with the balance on July 1st.

IF for some reason we re-sign both Markov and Diaz then i kind of expect Gorges to be dealt.

Personally i'm fine with re-signing Markov and having our top 4 be Subban, Markov, Emelin and Gorges. Tinordi and Beaulieu should be ready to make the jump to round out the top 6, and fill the 7th spot with a veteran at around 1 million per season. That puts at around 25 million for our top 7...still on the high end but im comfortable with that number. Anything higher would be too much.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I don't disagree with this thread. To me there is just no way that Markov, Gorges and Diaz are all playing for us next season. It's got to be 2/3 at most.

IF we re-sign Markov, i let Diaz go.

IF for some reason Markov is asking for an unreasonable deal, then i could see them falling back and signing Diaz and then looking to see whats out there with the balance on July 1st.

IF for some reason we re-sign both Markov and Diaz then i kind of expect Gorges to be dealt.

Personally i'm fine with re-signing Markov and having our top 4 be Subban, Markov, Emelin and Gorges. Tinordi and Beaulieu should be ready to make the jump to round out the top 6, and fill the 7th spot with a veteran at around 1 million per season. That puts at around 25 million for our top 7...still on the high end but im comfortable with that number. Anything higher would be too much.
If you're fine with that then be happy because that is what you will see next season. Markov will be re-signed. Assuming he wants to stay here and MB isn't an idiot. The question is for how long? 3 years is fair, anything more and you're asking for trouble. Look at what happened to Hamrlik. At some point Marky will start slowing down. Question is how soon and how fast. It's like a ticking time bomb. This is not a knock on Markov either, just a fact of getting old.

That leaves us with Diaz. Either you trade him at the deadline or extend him and let the kids play him out of the line up and then trade him. Diaz will always have value as a R-PMD.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:00 PM
TiCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
I have a hard time not liking what Gorges brings. He is a very solid guy who blocks shots, kills penalties and eats up a lot of minutes.
The Habs have to start thinking though at how they plan on integrating the young D they have waiting in the wings. Pateryn literally has nothing left to prove in Hamilton. Tinordi has to be a regular next year. Beaulieu I am not sold on, he simply can't play defense.
Thrower and Bennett are likely joining Hamilton next year, promoting a D to the big league opens a roster spot/minutes in the AHL.

I think Gorges will get Bouillon's role of pairing with every young D next season.

TiCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:11 PM
mrinsane

Nygren, Beaulieu, Pateryn and Tinordi should crack our lineup and Gorges be deal with Bourque for offensive upgrade

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
So like the title says Montreal needs to lose some salary on the defensive line. I see the top4 being too expensive at this point Markov(5)-Subban(7-8),Emelin(4)-Gorges(4). I see Gorges as the odd man out if indeed Bergevin signs Markov and Subban. We would need to find a cheap top4 defenseman option (salary wise) to lower the cost. Names that comes to mind are Kulikov, Demers.
That's your opinion. Bless you for having one but it's not your money or responsibility and you have no knowledge of who is available and at what cost, MB has to figure things out for himself. Like you, I woukd like to see improvements but unlike you I don't care what is costs.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:35 PM
onice

I can't believe some of the comments in this thread. change for change's sake.

Markov Subban
Emelin Gorges

Is a very respectable top 4. i would even say it's in the top grouping of d-corps.

Even if you keep Diaz as a 5th d-man that is an exceptional defence. Bouillon & Murray will most likely not be here next year. That frees up 1 - maybe - 2 spots.

We have Pateryn & maybe Tinordi ready to step in. Although I have my doubts about Tinordi. He may need another year in the A. Beaulieu definitely needs another year. I've read that Nygren is really the most ready of the d-men in Hamilton but they just want to master his gap game. So we could add Pateryn and it brings it to

Markov Subban
Emelin Gorges
Diaz Pateryn
with Drewiske as the 7th man.

If Nygren is ready next year then I'm guessing Diaz could be dealt. I really see no problem with our defence.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That's your opinion. Bless you for having one but it's not your money or responsibility and you have no knowledge of who is available and at what cost, MB has to figure things out for himself. Like you, I woukd like to see improvements but unlike you I don't care what is costs.
Also, to make easier to understand for us normal folks.

A family needs a house (Subban) and 2 cars (Diaz, Markov). They also have two salaries that add up to 200k

They have their budget, they know their needs. They're not going to buy a BMW and a Lexus.

MB knows how much he wants to spend on each position. His job is to convince them to fit that budget.....or move on.

As to the OP....what's with the added drama?

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 04:10 PM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I really see no problem with our defence.
especially when we are 2nd in ga/g in the whole league.

defence is not a problem at all.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote