HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[DAL/CGY] Lane MacDermid to the Flames for a 2014 6th round pick

Old
11-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Reinhart

vCash: 500
Flames really wanted an AHL tougher guy who is young and could be up on the Flames if need be. The Heat are the #1 team in the AHL, and the rookies are actually leading most of the way. Ferland has started exploding in production lately, and they don't really want him having to be that guy on the Heat since he does have upside (though he is more than capable).

Trading for a guy who just cleared waivers seems stupid at first - but there is definitely reasons behind such moves. He is definitely not the only GM to have done so, and both of these moves (this one and Russel) were good moves.

Look forward to seeing Lane contributing to the Heat. He is a borderline NHL 4th line energy guy right now, but is still young enough to improve and be a pretty good 4th line guy later, while helping to protect the prospects on the Heat (and allowing Ferland to concentrate more on scoring).

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:04 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Not really, they could have claimed him for free on Wednesday! They could have flipped Jackman for the pick and kept the pick and had MacDermid!
Yes really.
they can move him up and down the AHL now

DropIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 09:35 PM
Paper

If the Flames picked him up off waivers they would have to pass him through waivers to place him in the AHL.

However, Dallas would be allowed to put in a claim for him (and assuming no one else did) and assign him to Texas.

So if the Flames wanted him for the AHL, which obviously they did, they weren't going to accomplish it by picking him off waivers.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:32 PM
smackdaddy
x Edmonton

His name is so close to Lanny McDonald the Flames couldn't resist.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Lord Flacko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Trading for somoene they could've had for free? A Feaster special!
I laughed.

Lord Flacko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:42 PM
TrueGrit

Well done by Calgary, well done by Dallas. They can upgrade from within.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Meat Hammer
Goin' Deep

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Well all his moves have to be approved by Burke from now on so I guess Burke's a bonehead too.

I don't particularly care for this trade. It is what it is. If we gave up the Ducks pick vs our own, then great.
The fact that Calgary hired a babysitter for Feaster, is a testament to his incompetence.

Meat Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 06:30 PM
SteenMachine

These are such minor pieces, people are reading way too much into this like the organization has to be shuffled around because of a late draft pick or some 4th liners who drop the gloves. He found a way to get a guy that was clearly available and keep control over how he manages that asset. End of really insignificant story.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Tapu Debe
Serene Grace

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLongR0D View Post
The fact that Calgary hired a babysitter for Feaster, is a testament to his incompetence.
Yeah because no one in the history of the NHL has ever hired a "President of Hockey Operations" except, oh wait, a lot of teams.

Tapu Debe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:14 AM
caley

Maybe this was the deal that finally sold Burke on firing Feaster. It was one of the last deals he made before being fired and, as people pointed out, he could have kept the pick and claimed MacDermid off of waivers (I know that he said it was so he could assign him to the AHL without worrying about him clearing).

And the trade has ended about as terribly as it could have. MacDermid never returned to Abbotsford after the AHL All-Star break, and today he retired.

Quote:
The Lane MacDermid situation got a little clearer. He's officially filed his retirement papers, according to Craig Conroy. #Flames
https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...75586869022720

02-26-2014, 01:36 AM
CR15

wow, interesting development.

Always thought this kid could carve out a 4th line role in the league if he stuck with it. Guess that's not happening.

CR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:14 AM
caley

I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot more players like MacDermid, NHL/AHL tweeners who have to fight for their career, retire early rather than risk ending up with CTE from repeated pummelings in the AHL.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:17 AM
Mithrandir
I only own my mind..

Hockey will be better off without them.

Honestly, I look at a team like Boston, especially when Thornton is out, who roll a fourth line like Paille, Campbell, Thornton/Caron, etc and I wonder why on earth a team like Toronto bothers with regularly dressing guys like Bodie, Orr, McLaren. What a waste. Just roll a line that can actually play hockey. Guys like McLaren honestly should not be dressing anywhere, ever.

Mithrandir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:03 AM
Homesick

vCash: 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot more players like MacDermid, NHL/AHL tweeners who have to fight for their career, retire early rather than risk ending up with CTE from repeated pummelings in the AHL.
I'm sure his dad was the voice of reasoning here. He would be the best one to tell him that he's never going to carve out an NHL career

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:19 AM
Diatomic
Mitch Matthewlander

I remember this guy on the Bruins last year, he scored a goal and brought down Mark Fraser in a fight in the same night. Thought he would be a decent 4th liner but I guess I was wrong.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 05:59 AM
Dr Pepper

vCash: 50
Wow, that is very surprising. He was solid in limit minutes with Dallas, even scored his first career goal in his first game as a Dallas Star.

Wish him all the best in his next career, I guess.

02-26-2014, 06:07 AM
Ret

Wish him all the best, only memory I have of this guy is when he knocked Fraser senseless in a fight.

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:11 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post

Honestly, I look at a team like Boston, especially when Thornton is out, who roll a fourth line like Paille, Campbell, Thornton/Caron, etc and I wonder why on earth a team like Toronto bothers with regularly dressing guys like Bodie, Orr, McLaren. What a waste. Just roll a line that can actually play hockey. Guys like McLaren honestly should not be dressing anywhere, ever.
This.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 06:21 AM
BK201

Quote:

do you not play boston that often they're pretty tough and so is most of our old division except for maybe montreal

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:11 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:

This guy is an actual hockey player. Otherwise, you are 100% correct.

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Mithrandir
I only own my mind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
do you not play boston that often they're pretty tough and so is most of our old division except for maybe montreal
Obviously they're tough. What does that have to do with anything? They're tough and still manage to dress four lines of actual hockey players. It's refreshing and it's how all teams should be built going forward. No Rosehills and McLarens.

Mithrandir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

He didn't do much fighting with Dallas, and I thought he was a useful depth player. Good luck to him in his future endeavors!

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Losveratos

Quote:

Bodie's an adequate 4th liner. I don't care for the others. But our 4th line could be Ashton, McClement and Bodie. I'd be happy.

Losveratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Quares27

Quote:

Their team seems to be doing better than the Rangers and their extremely soft team with their "can actually play hockey" 4th line so i'm not sure why you're so worried. It's funny to hear this from the Rangers fanbase that has cried all year about how they wanted an enforcer and needed more toughness, and fans of a team that had Colton Orr for years and recently John Scott. McLaren is a better player than both of them, but he hasn't played for the Rangers so he shouldn't be dressing anywhere. Makes sense.

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:33 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
And so it begins...

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote