HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you support trading Ryan Smyth?

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of trading Ryan Smyth?
Yes 40 32.00%
No 54 43.20%
Undecided 18 14.40%
metallicat sucks 13 10.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Ryan is an excellent hockey player, and would be almost imposible to replace in the near tear. I did vote yes because the qualifier was under any conditions. I do belive if we are not going to make the playoffs it is time to trade a handfull of vets for picks/prospects. So to make a long story short, if we cannot make the playofffs I would support a trade............

Old
01-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydrop
He is a guy that is supposed to take the team on his back and win them some games. He doesnt do that, he loses them more then he wins.
Really? Was that in his contract ($3.45 mill)? I for one, have never thought of Smyth as a player who was capable of carrying a team on his back. I think you're getting confused with the description of Dougie Weight. I'm not saying that Smyth isn't a good player. He's a lower end power forward LW who's a warrior on the boards and in front of the net and is consistently a 30 goal, 65 point guy. That's NOT a description of a player who is going to carry the team. He's probably comparable to players like Rolston in Boston ($3.1 mill - 60 pt guy), Eric Daze of Chicago ($3.2 -70 pt guy), Martin Lapointe ($5.5 for 40-50 pt guy).

I don't see Chimera or Isbister as capable of replacing Smyth currently (maybe in the future). Maybe Torres could do the job. I would not be for trading Smyth unless there was an overpay coming back. He has bled Oilers in the past but I expect a better game from him. He needs a centreman with whom he has some chemistry with.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Oi'll say!

I voted undecided because I just thought that Yes was too strong of an answer.

If I was the GM I wouldn't be shopping him around, but if anyone was asking about him I'd be all ears, or if there was a playoff contender looking for a veteran scorer then I'd call them up and ask what they'd cough up for him.

Old
01-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Hemsky #83

I voted YES!

I really believe the oilers need to maximize assets at the draft and try and draft a legit franchise player without a doubt in my mind.

The best way to do that, I believe is to deal Smyth.

I personally don't believe we have a franchise player, someone so good you would go just to watch him. Like Fedoprov, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Thornton, Jagr, Lindros (when playing his game).

I think it would cement a new core of the team as well, Smyth was part of an old core, and that satherian experiment failed. Lowe needs to finish the reformation IMO.

enough ramblings

Old
01-22-2004, 01:33 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

What about if a package deal for a guy like Gabs could be reached?

Old
01-22-2004, 01:55 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Gaborik would be a great compliment to a guy like Hemsky.. unfortunately, I think it would take a lot more than Smyth to acquire him. However, Gabs' value might be a lil lower than it should be due to his sub-par season thus far and his holdout..

Old
01-22-2004, 05:11 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Gaborik is probably one of those franchise players. It will take a deal where the other team is overpaying to get Gaborik out of Minny, IMO.

Old
01-22-2004, 10:06 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Gaborik has a whopping 5 goals this year... if you think Smyth is overpaid at 3.5 mil, what does that make Gabby at 4?

Old
01-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Under any circumstances?

I said "no," but I was also adamantly against them trading Comrie. Plus, if Lowe was offered Jason Spezza for Smyth I think it would be a good deal. I think part of the reason Lowe traded for Isbister was in case Smytty got awarded a huge arbitration settlement in the summer. Thus, being forced to trade him.

Old
01-22-2004, 02:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Gaborik has a whopping 5 goals this year... if you think Smyth is overpaid at 3.5 mil, what does that make Gabby at 4?
DB, please tell me you're not gonna start saying Marian Gaborik is overrated...........

Old
01-22-2004, 02:58 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Gaborik is probably one of those franchise players. It will take a deal where the other team is overpaying to get Gaborik out of Minny, IMO.
And I'm pretty sure it'd be worth an overpay, a substantial one even. What's everyone else think?

The way I see it is, you either overpay to get a high draft pick, then gamble on your guy actually turning out.

OR

You overpay to get a guy who is already essentially proven, but still the young future franchise guy.

Old
01-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure it'd be worth an overpay, a substantial one even. What's everyone else think?

The way I see it is, you either overpay to get a high draft pick, then gamble on your guy actually turning out.

OR

You overpay to get a guy who is already essentially proven, but still the young future franchise guy.
True but how much of an over pay? What if they asked for Smyth + Brewer or Smyth + Hemsky or Smyth + York?

Old
01-22-2004, 04:20 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
DB, please tell me you're not gonna start saying Marian Gaborik is overrated...........
it's called food for thought.

Old
01-22-2004, 04:45 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
True but how much of an over pay? What if they asked for Smyth + Brewer or Smyth + Hemsky or Smyth + York?
Well that's too much, gotta be reasonable right? Guess it all depends on asking price. Definately use some first-rounders in this deal.

Closed Thread