HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How responsible are refs for controlling games?

Old
11-23-2013, 11:59 AM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
If a goalie clearly has a puck covered, whistle or no whistle, I dont take an extra whack. Its adult league and its not the goalies fault refs are lazy.
Agreed

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 01:58 PM
ccarrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
If a goalie clearly has a puck covered, whistle or no whistle, I dont take an extra whack. Its adult league and its not the goalies fault refs are lazy.
There need to be more people like you.

ccarrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 03:46 PM
I Am The Stig
SPACESHIP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarrigan View Post
Playing last night against a highly penalized team. Lots of the smaller things aren't getting called (slashes, boarding, trips) which leads to a couple of scuffles late. As it continues the games goes to 8 minors, 3 majors, 2 fights and 3 ejections. Kid got hit and snapped his wrist.

A lot of us felt that if the smaller things were called like they should be, there wouldn't have been as much escalation, ESPECIALLY after the first fight. Thoughts?

(Adult hockey league, B level, non contact.)
For me if I ref a rivalry game where I know the two teams hate each other I'm very adamant about calling penalties and blowing the whistle early when the goalie has the puck to avoid stupid **** that's going to happen, but I'm mainly doing that also to save my own skin.

And then there are times where I'll just let them play if it's the other way around but the blatantly obvious ones I'll call. I actually gave a 2+10 last night to a kid that hit someone from behind. But it wasn't like a charge and ramming him into the boards, the kid playing the puck was a foot away and had his head down looking at the puck and another kid behind him just two handed him (not a shove but like a small push) into the boards. It's a play that could've easily been avoided and could've ended badly and if you're too lazy to play the puck then I'm probably going to call a penalty if you do something illegal.

I Am The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 04:24 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

I play in a checking leaguer and the last game I played we lost 6-1. The refs decided to call EVERY little play. If a guy checked another player and that player fell down, the ref would call it for a roughing/boarding play. Going into the third period, both teams had around 15 minor penalties already, and tempers I guess overboiled and because of that, it resulted in many 10 minute misconducts and a fight was about to break loose. If the refs didn't call every dang thing, I don't think that game would get as physical as it did late in the game.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 11:14 PM
TatarTangle

The sooner every Beer Leaguer understands they are in a beer league and they don't see a paycheck from whatever rink they are skating at, the better off everyone will be. We play late at night, most likely in some city nobody has heard of and there aren't scouts in the seats. Skate hard, pass the puck, have fun. Drink beer in the locker room after because it always tastes the best after hockey. Repeat.

To answer the OP's question; it's up to the players

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 08:39 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post
The sooner every Beer Leaguer understands they are in a beer league and they don't see a paycheck from whatever rink they are skating at, the better off everyone will be. We play late at night, most likely in some city nobody has heard of and there aren't scouts in the seats. Skate hard, pass the puck, have fun. Drink beer in the locker room after because it always tastes the best after hockey. Repeat.

Yup, and this applies to several things like taking slap shots from the point when you can't keep it down, getting your stick up in battles etc.

It all comes down to taking a step back and realizing it's beer league.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 01:01 PM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Yup, and this applies to several things like taking slap shots from the point when you can't keep it down, getting your stick up in battles etc.

It all comes down to taking a step back and realizing it's beer league.
its a lot easier for a ref to manage/control a game than it is to get 25+ people to understand its just a beer league

we had an incident over a month ago where a goon on the opposing team threw a flying elbow at our captain. not only did the ref miss the call, he didnt give both players matching minors to help them cool off after they were trying to fight each other. the very next shift, my captain boarded the guy who elbowed him and was suspended for 30 days. it all could have been easily avoided if a) the ref made the right call off the bat b) realized he missed the call, and given both players matching minors to diffuse the situation

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 06:04 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
its a lot easier for a ref to manage/control a game than it is to get 25+ people to understand its just a beer league

we had an incident over a month ago where a goon on the opposing team threw a flying elbow at our captain. not only did the ref miss the call, he didnt give both players matching minors to help them cool off after they were trying to fight each other. the very next shift, my captain boarded the guy who elbowed him and was suspended for 30 days. it all could have been easily avoided if a) the ref made the right call off the bat b) realized he missed the call, and given both players matching minors to diffuse the situation
BS.

It could have all been avoided if A. The player that gave the flying elbow, realized what exactly they were playing for.

And B. If your captain, acted like an adult and didn't deliberately board another player.

Regardless if the ref missed the call, refused to make the call didn't see the call. Your captain finished the shift, sat on the bench for another shift, THEN took the penalty, how in the hell is that the officials fault that your captain decided then to board an opponent?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 07:18 AM
Marotte Marauder

One of officials' shortcomings that drive me crazy is the lack of enforcement of so-called playing till the whistle type plays.

From USAHockey:

A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player who makes stick contact with an opposing goalkeeper while he is in his goal crease, who has covered or caught the puck, regardless of whether or not the Referee has stopped play.

If the puck is loose, go for it and you don't need to hack the goalie in doing so. If it's not free, what are you doing? Incurring a penalty.

Enforcement of this rule from Mites on would go a long way to improving hockey and eliminating all the protecting their goaltender nonsense that is way too prevalent.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:01 AM
madguitarist

The ref's role in controlling a game is huge. Nobody likes a guy who calls everything, but at the same time, putting the whistle away all game, can lead to chaos if guys are getting away with stick work and dirty plays. There has to be a balance between the two, and it's not easy to find. A bad ref, can kill a game and cost a team goals. Had a hand pass one-timed past me yesterday that was missed, and a couple of missed offsides that turned into goals. Refs are only human, but sometimes, it can be tough to swallow. When a ref calls a great game, let 'em know about it. If they get credit for it, then maybe they'll call games consistently, based on the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
One of officials' shortcomings that drive me crazy is the lack of enforcement of so-called playing till the whistle type plays.

From USAHockey:

A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player who makes stick contact with an opposing goalkeeper while he is in his goal crease, who has covered or caught the puck, regardless of whether or not the Referee has stopped play.

If the puck is loose, go for it and you don't need to hack the goalie in doing so. If it's not free, what are you doing? Incurring a penalty.

Enforcement of this rule from Mites on would go a long way to improving hockey and eliminating all the protecting their goaltender nonsense that is way too prevalent.
I really like this rule, and wish that it were enforced everywhere. As a keeper, it's a piss off when some overzealous bender, hacks away at your hands and arms, or bowls you over when you're in a vulnerable position because he's trying to jar the puck loose. I have a job to go to, and I don't need some wannabe who still thinks that there are scouts in the stands, putting my job and health in jeopardy, because he's to daft to understand that rec. league isn't the gateway to a pro career.

Last edited by madguitarist: 11-25-2013 at 08:07 AM.
madguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 08:14 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madguitarist View Post
The ref's role in controlling a game is huge. Nobody likes a guy who calls everything, but at the same time, putting the whistle away all game, can lead to chaos if guys are getting away with stick work and dirty plays. There has to be a balance between the two, and it's not easy to find. A bad ref, can kill a game and cost a team goals. Had a hand pass one-timed past me yesterday that was missed, and a couple of missed offsides that turned into goals. Refs are only human, but sometimes, it can be tough to swallow. When a ref calls a great game, let 'em know about it. If they get credit for it, then maybe they'll call games consistently, based on the feedback.

I really like this rule, and wish that it were enforced everywhere. As a keeper, it's a piss off when some overzealous bender, hacks away at your hands and arms, or bowls you over when you're in a vulnerable position because he's trying to jar the puck loose. I have a job to go to, and I don't need some wannabe who still thinks that there are scouts in the stands, putting my job and health in jeopardy, because he's to daft to understand that rec. league isn't the gateway to a pro career.
Agreed,

It's a hard call to make in MOST instances, only because it's a bang-bang style play by nature, one minute the player sees the puck, and reacts, and a second later, the goalie has it, and the player can't hold up, how do you penalize that?

As a goaltender for over 20 years, I know both sides, if it's a reasonable attempt at the puck and not just a swipe, I will let it go, but if it's a hard dig etc, then you have to call it, MOST guys won't dig hard at the goalie, but you get some weekend warriors with a contract in their pocket.

What is worse is when goaltenders try and draw that penalty by hovering their hand over the puck but not covering it, when that happens, then they definitely will not get a call from regardless if the hand is severed from the wrist

Old
11-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:

Beer in the locker room? Where is there beer in the locker room?

No matter what they tell you, there is NO BEER in the locker room. None.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 03:39 AM
madguitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABearshockey View Post
Agreed,

It's a hard call to make in MOST instances, only because it's a bang-bang style play by nature, one minute the player sees the puck, and reacts, and a second later, the goalie has it, and the player can't hold up, how do you penalize that?

As a goaltender for over 20 years, I know both sides, if it's a reasonable attempt at the puck and not just a swipe, I will let it go, but if it's a hard dig etc, then you have to call it, MOST guys won't dig hard at the goalie, but you get some weekend warriors with a contract in their pocket.

What is worse is when goaltenders try and draw that penalty by hovering their hand over the puck but not covering it, when that happens, then they definitely will not get a call from regardless if the hand is severed from the wrist
Fair enough, but if I cover it, and the whistle goes, if that guy's still digging and whacking or bowling me over, then he deserves a penalty. I've had guys skate in well after the whistle, and two-hand me in the glove with no call made. I'll warn the ref that if he doesn't make the call next time, that bad things will happen when I defend myself, and it usually wisens them up.

madguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 11:29 AM
hyster110

Quote:

unless your in edmonton where if your caught with beer in the room, your team is kicked out of the league

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:36 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madguitarist View Post
Fair enough, but if I cover it, and the whistle goes, if that guy's still digging and whacking or bowling me over, then he deserves a penalty. I've had guys skate in well after the whistle, and two-hand me in the glove with no call made. I'll warn the ref that if he doesn't make the call next time, that bad things will happen when I defend myself, and it usually wisens them up.
Agreed, in that instance, a call should be made.

Most instances, it doesn't happen that way to be honest, you will get some ****** who do that, but for the most part, this is what happens,

Shot comes in, hits the tender, puck is near/close/around/ the feet/legs/hands of the goaltender, defenseman, winger, center, trainer, waterboy all pick up a stick and shove the goaltender, and you can't tell which stick it is, referee blows the whistle, and it takes everyone about 2-3 seconds to realize the whistle went, then they look up, see someone from an opposing team, and throws a punch....because....get this....they crashed the goalie, when in reality, it was the defenseman hitting the goalie, while the other D is hitting his own C, and the two wings from the same team are locked up with each other playing tiddlywinks,

Maybe that's just me though...

Old
02-26-2014, 12:09 PM
chapel

Depends on the game. I've had games where I had no penalties because everyone behaved. I've also had games that got out of hand because I should have called more penalties... and that's my fault as a referee for letting that happen.
Some refs are more lax on chippy plays and that can cause serious problems as the teams get more and more angry and sometimes can erupt into fights and injuries.
Also, some refs blow plays down right away, others let it play out. A play blown down early like a goalie tie up could have turned into a scoring chance, while letting it play out could result in a goal or an injury... or a fight.

So, yes. Refs do have some responsibility in the outcome AND the atmosphere of a game.
I was always more lenient during close games but made player safety a priority.

chapel is offline   Reply With Quote