HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emphasis on drafting speed and skill paying off for New York Rangers

Old
11-23-2013, 02:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Emphasis on drafting speed and skill paying off for New York Rangers

It seems like a distant memory now, but just six or seven years ago, the New York Rangers had few homegrown players on their NHL roster. Big name free agents were the norm for this original six team, with few of the team's prospects ever appearing in more than one or two games on Broadway.

Over the last five years however, that has completely changed, as eight of the 23 current roster players were drafted by the Blueshirts. There are also numerous players such as Dan Girardi and Cam Talbot, who went undrafted when eligible, but were signed by the Rangers after the completion of their amateur careers and then developed in New York's system.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:17 PM
SnowblindNYR

This article is begging to be bashed by fans about how we're .500, but I more or less agree.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Donnay, at 6'7, is one of the tallest Rangers' draftees ever selected. In his final year of CHL eligibility, Donnay will likely spend an overage year in the league to continue to work on his skating and positioning.

this is wrong.. he was signed as an UFA.... he was not drafted...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Leslie, good article, but incomplete IMO. You left out the reason for the change in philosophy.
I know you have tons of respect for Gordie Clark, he should get some love in the article. But most importantly, 2008 coincides with Jeff Gorton coming on board. To me that's the key to the philosophy change.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Ail
k.

Good article, one thing that confuses me however is the continuous theme of certain players getting called up to the NHL as soon as later this season. Just short of a getting a bunch of injuries I don't see the Rangers finding room for any of these kids this year. I am hoping they can find a way to dump Pyatt and Pouliot so guys like Kristo can get a call-up, but I'm also not sure that is the right decision if this team is trying to stay competitive for the playoffs.

If DZ is traded for a top-6 forward that would most likely push someone out of the line-up, and when Pyatt comes back Miller will probably be sent down rather than someone else getting called up.

I just don't see anyone else getting a call-up this season, short of injuries.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 02:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

It's pretty clear this team needs to shore up its center depth. Been true for a while.

As for the lack of goalie prospects, I'm simply not that concerned with Hank and now Talbot. They are thin and HFD could use someone capable at the AHL level, but I would continue to try to get NCAA UFAs and late round picks. Save the 1st-3rd round picks for centers and more depth on defense.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 04:31 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

High end skill ?? Um ok.

We've got some decent players but count me as generally unimpressed.

Not a Gordie Clark fanboy whatsoever.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 10:49 AM
eco's bones

Rangers have some good prospects but not enough depth. I think they really have reached the point where they need to hang on to their draft picks. We've got 4 guys in the CHL-4 in college and 3 in Europe (unless you want to count Pashnin--then we have 4). That's considerably less than the norm and some of these guys are not going to make it or be impact players. That's a wave of replacements 3 years from now that is going to be kind of weak.

At the pro level--we've got maybe a half dozen really worthwhile guys--McIlrath, Fast, Miller, Lindberg, Kristo, Allen and a few other maybes--Hrivik, Yogan, Kantor. That's not bad but it's not fantastic either.

Goaltending and center icemen are two areas the Rangers need to focus on in the next couple years. Between Missiaen and Stajcer the job doesn't seem to be getting done in Hartford. Our defense at the NHL level is still pretty young and we've got three prospects who look to be solid NHL players one day--McIlrath, Allen Skjei.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:01 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Need to restock the system. Of guys still in juniors, Europe, or NCAA, up front it's Nieves, Buch, and Duc, and on the back it's Skeji.

Guys like Anderson, Graves, Fogarty, Donnay, Skapski, etc. are all projects.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers have traded away many top picks in the last few years. The 2nd round pick in 2011 was included in the Tim Erixon deal along with the 2nd round pick acquired from Carolina through Washington for Bobby Sanguinetti. He is in the KHL. I read the Islanders were planning to take Sanguinetti with their #1 in 2006 before Neil Smith was hired. Smith told them to draft Kyle Okposo. The 3rd round pick in 2011 was traded to Florida for Bryan McCabe. The Rangers got a 3rd back from the Blues for Evgeni Grachev who is now in the KHL. That pick was used on Steven Fogarty. Erixon was traded in the Rick Nash deal. Erixon is having trouble breaking into the Jackets top 6 and becomes waiver eligible next season. The first round pick in 2013 was traded to Columbus in the Nash deal. The second round pick in 2013 was traded in the Ryane Clowe deal. So in a very deep 2013 draft,the Rangers didn't have a pick in the first two rounds. The Rangers had 3 3rds in 2013. You look at how many third rounders have played a game in the NHL and those players are the luck of the draw.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 11:33 AM
ecemleafs

in the 5-6 months after the draft we do seem to have hit with 2 of our 3rds. both duclair and buch are having big post draft seasons so far.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:14 PM
RangersHank*

Speed? Hagelin and Korpikoski are the fastest guys we drafted in a while imo. Skill? Def not top end skill

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
Speed? Hagelin and Korpikoski are the fastest guys we drafted in a while imo. Skill? Def not top end skill
kreider? duclair seems to have some skill as well, have to wait and see how he turns out.

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
in the 5-6 months after the draft we do seem to have hit with 2 of our 3rds. both duclair and buch are having big post draft seasons so far.
Grachev tore up the OHL in 08-09 with Duchene and Hodgson for Brampton. 3rd rounder in 2008.

Old
11-24-2013, 02:35 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Grachev tore up the OHL in 08-09 with Duchene and Hodgson for Brampton. 3rd rounder in 2008.
While true, that was under a different scenario (with big time linemates), too.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:37 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Duclair doesn't have two of the best prospects in hockey on his line, though. He leads his team in scoring by 7 points.

11-24-2013, 02:41 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
High end skill ?? Um ok.

I'm with you. A lot to be desired with group right now.

Aside from an acquired player in Rick Nash we have no real difference makers.

Passive past first mentally guys that seem more content to let the game come to them.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Grachev wasn't the Kostitsyn brother who played on a line with Gagner and Kane at London. Grachev was a big time prospect in the OHL. I emailed an OHL writer about Del Zotto and Grachev who were both playing in the OHL in 08-09. I asked about the Brampton guys. He liked Grachev better than the other two. There was a game played between London and Brampton in Brampton that season. DZ had just been traded from Oshawa to Brampton. I bought the game on the OHL website. Grachev was a dominant player. The defenders couldn't contain him. Lets not have revisionist history here and say he was a product of the other two guys. Grachev didn't just play with the other two guys.

Old
11-24-2013, 03:04 PM
ecemleafs

grachev wasnt ready for the AHL and should have played another year in the OHL.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:10 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
High end skill ?? Um ok.

I'm with you. A lot to be desired with group right now.

Aside from an acquired player in Rick Nash we have no real difference makers.

Passive past first mentally guys that seem more content to let the game come to them.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:18 PM
eco's bones

Duclair and Buchnevich are both doing well this year but there is the Russian factor with Buchnevich and in Duclair's case CHL numbers don't always equate to being an NHL player--see Michael St. Croix--there were big predictions for him a couple years ago when he was making a run at the WHL scoring title. Duclair is a better skater than St. Croix but a lot comes down to heart and grit and how that's going to work out remains to be seen.

If I were to rank the non pro's:

1. Skjei
2. Nieves
3. Buchnevich
4. Duclair
5. Andersson

After that it's a pig pile with Spelling and Skapski on the bottom.

I can easily understand why HF has our prospect pool ranked as low as it has. The best case scenario is any of Skjei, Nieves, Buchnevich are two years away but it's more likely we won't see any of them for at least three. At least with them they all have good size and frames--are great skaters. Duclair is a great skater too but he's smaller.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:34 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Duclair and Buchnevich are both doing well this year but there is the Russian factor with Buchnevich and in Duclair's case CHL numbers don't always equate to being an NHL player--see Michael St. Croix--there were big predictions for him a couple years ago when he was making a run at the WHL scoring title. Duclair is a better skater than St. Croix but a lot comes down to heart and grit and how that's going to work out remains to be seen.

If I were to rank the non pro's:

1. Skjei
2. Nieves
3. Buchnevich
4. Duclair
5. Andersson

After that it's a pig pile with Spelling and Skapski on the bottom.

I can easily understand why HF has our prospect pool ranked as low as it has. The best case scenario is any of Skjei, Nieves, Buchnevich are two years away but it's more likely we won't see any of them for at least three. At least with them they all have good size and frames--are great skaters. Duclair is a great skater too but he's smaller.
That's all true, but I'd argue our pro prospects are pretty strong with Kreider, Miller, Kristo, Lindberg, Fast, McIlrath and Allen. Hence why I think our prospect pool shouldn't be ranked that low.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
The Rangers have traded away many top picks in the last few years. The 2nd round pick in 2011 was included in the Tim Erixon deal along with the 2nd round pick acquired from Carolina through Washington for Bobby Sanguinetti. He is in the KHL. I read the Islanders were planning to take Sanguinetti with their #1 in 2006 before Neil Smith was hired. Smith told them to draft Kyle Okposo. The 3rd round pick in 2011 was traded to Florida for Bryan McCabe. The Rangers got a 3rd back from the Blues for Evgeni Grachev who is now in the KHL. That pick was used on Steven Fogarty. Erixon was traded in the Rick Nash deal. Erixon is having trouble breaking into the Jackets top 6 and becomes waiver eligible next season. The first round pick in 2013 was traded to Columbus in the Nash deal. The second round pick in 2013 was traded in the Ryane Clowe deal. So in a very deep 2013 draft,the Rangers didn't have a pick in the first two rounds. The Rangers had 3 3rds in 2013. You look at how many third rounders have played a game in the NHL and those players are the luck of the draw.
The Clowe deal cost the 2nd + Florida's 3rd, which was the first pick in the 3rd round.
It's very possible that they could have packaged the 2nd + a combination of the 4 3rds to get a decent pick in the first round in a deep draft..

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 04:10 PM
RangersHank*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
kreider? duclair seems to have some skill as well, have to wait and see how he turns out.

I said top end skill. Skill yeah but any legit 1st liners?

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 04:15 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
I said top end skill. Skill yeah but any legit 1st liners?
Kreider? He certainly is playing like a 1st liner right now. It depends on how you define top end talent. If you only consider superstars as top end talent, then we have none. But a player like Kreider can be a good 1st liner if he continues his current level of play and matures further.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote