HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
11-23-2013, 11:20 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post
Don't know if anyone saw this but:

"REGINA — The Edmonton Eskimos have found their next head coach.

Sources confirmed to sportsnet.ca that Toronto Argonauts defensive coordinator Chris Jones has been offered the top job in Edmonton. Jones, who has three Grey Cup championships on his resume as a defensive assistant, has been seeking a head coaching job in the CFL for a number of years."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...-coaching-job/
DCs have a history of making *terrible* head coaches in the CFL, i don't see why this case would be any different.... you'd think we would learn, DCs do NOT make good head coaches, with the obvious exception or two

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 12:07 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=437307

was just coming by to post this and change the thread title

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
I hope it snows at least. What's the forecast? I remember, was it 1996 where we lost to Toronto? That game was like a winter wonderland... always makes for exciting football. I just despise the Riders (mostly their fanbase) and can't stand to see them possibly win it at home.
Who can forget this play? Loved that game btw except result. I thought we were jobbed and should've won it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
used to like the riders until they and their fans became ******-bags about5-7 years ago or thereabouts.
now they are my most hated team after Calgary.

go Hamilton!

one thing I will mention is I finally was able to buy grey cup pool tickets.
I didn't find anyone who was selling them the previous couple of years.
I don't think its Riders fans as much as the current fandome has been largely a youth or young adult phenomenon in Saskatchewan. I often feel that due to how that franchise was struggling for years and got tuned out and people stopped caring about it as much that theres a generation, now between say 35-50yrs old that kind of never got into the Riders and are still underrepresented. So what you see instead is a whole lot of Riders fans that are under 35 and disproportionately so. With behavior that might be more typical in that demographic.
For instance as you know our generation isn't much into taunting, in your face ridicule, etc. But in the internet age flaming is pretty much a given. Its too bad.

The same thing is observed with the Vancouver Canucks fanbase currently. Because its largely also a young fanbase and with the same generation before it that tuned out the Canucks more or less. So the trolling, taunting fanbase is over represented.

All we're really seeing here is new behaviors that we subscribe to. But we're on the internet so we see it a lot. Reality is we see it a lot on this board, or any board.

Old
11-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Argos fan here, congrats on the new hire. Jones will be a fantastic head coach and has been trying to get a head coaching gig for the past several years, really happy he's finally getting his shot. He's an intense guy and he will do wonders for your defence. Not a very happy two weeks being an Argo fan, losing last weekend in the East Final and now losing our D-Coordinator.
Not sure I'd be too quick to annoint him a slam dunk as a great HC. As a DC, he is practically without peers, one of the best of all time, no question. We'll see, but a lot of times, these coordinators don't turn out well as HC's. Now, if we signed him up as our new DC, I would be all over that.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 12:58 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not sure I'd be too quick to annoint him a slam dunk as a great HC. As a DC, he is practically without peers, one of the best of all time, no question. We'll see, but a lot of times, these coordinators don't turn out well as HC's. Now, if we signed him up as our new DC, I would be all over that.
exactly! he would be a no-brainer as a DC, but as HC, i doubt he'll have success.... DCs generally don't make good HCs, and in fact usually make terrible HCs... i see no reason why jones would be any different

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Argos fan here, congrats on the new hire. Jones will be a fantastic head coach and has been trying to get a head coaching gig for the past several years, really happy he's finally getting his shot. He's an intense guy and he will do wonders for your defence. Not a very happy two weeks being an Argo fan, losing last weekend in the East Final and now losing our D-Coordinator.
Its the death knell here when some Toronto fan posts the "You'll love this guy" epitaph.

Cites MIke Brown, Dallas Eakins, etc..

Just clowning around and I like the Jones hire.

I am worried though about another intense guy in charge of things. I think Jones intensity is more reigned in or at least logical. Trouble with Reed is he would lose his brain and fly off the handle at anybody.

I like the passion, if controlled, and with purpose.

Old
11-23-2013, 02:54 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
DCs have a history of making *terrible* head coaches in the CFL, i don't see why this case would be any different.... you'd think we would learn, DCs do NOT make good head coaches, with the obvious exception or two
You can't infer that he won't be a good HC because of previous failures by different coaches. That's more to do with the quality of the person. If Jones is hired, I think it's a good move. He's a good coach. I'm glad if it's not Campbell.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Kyle McMahon

I'll go on the record as supporting a Jones hire. Much more qualified candidate than Rick Campbell, and he's definitely paid his dues as a co-ordinator.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 12:13 PM
MoneyGuy

Go, Tiger-Cats. I couldn't stand Rider fans chirping for the next year.

Old
11-24-2013, 01:41 PM
PETRYDISH

I'm cheering for the Riders. It's a fan-base that is keeping the cfl alive well. I don't think any other fans in any sport are more deserving, I'd rather see a fanbase that actually cares get it and enjoy it to it's fullest. I also love the trash talking, I love going to esks/riders games because you know there's going to be rival fans there who actually give a crap about the game and their enthusiasm is pretty contagious. Go riders, life of the CFL.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Kyle McMahon

Got my money on Smilin' ****, you won't hear me say that very often. Hoping for the letdown of the century in Regina this evening.

Oops didn't know that Hank spelt with a W was a swear haha.

Old
11-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I don't think its Riders fans as much as the current fandome has been largely a youth or young adult phenomenon in Saskatchewan. I often feel that due to how that franchise was struggling for years and got tuned out and people stopped caring about it as much that theres a generation, now between say 35-50yrs old that kind of never got into the Riders and are still underrepresented. So what you see instead is a whole lot of Riders fans that are under 35 and disproportionately so. With behavior that might be more typical in that demographic.
For instance as you know our generation isn't much into taunting, in your face ridicule, etc. But in the internet age flaming is pretty much a given. Its too bad.
Nah, that crowd still exists and are just as passionate, they just have this callus built up where they expect the Riders to blow it. Hard to trash talk and taunt when you believe the other side to get the last laugh. Take where the Oilers are right now, they are just about as bad as the Riders during the period when many of those fans cut their teeth on the game.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 210
well, I'm going to go off to a grey cup party right away.

enjoy the game, all.

go cats!

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 04:18 PM
MoneyGuy

My party starts soon as my guests will soon arrive.

Riders win 30-24. Hope I'm wrong.

Old
11-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My party starts soon as my guests will soon arrive.

Riders win 30-24. Hope I'm wrong.
I think the Ticats are going to take it. Riders will have more pressure to compete in front of home crowd and they've defused before. Shut down Sheets and the running game and Riders are done. Not the easiest thing to accomplish but you gotta make Riders put the ball in the air. I don't trust Durant to get that done.

Old
11-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Got my money on Smilin' ****, you won't hear me say that very often. Hoping for the letdown of the century in Regina this evening.

Oops didn't know that Hank spelt with a W was a swear haha.
Hanks got his weird quirks but all in all the guy deserves to have another GC, I'm going with him as well and he took out Ricky so he's god in my books right now..

Old
11-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

Go Ti-Cats. Please win.

Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Citrus Fruits

Did I just jump ahead in time or did they skip the Riders introductions?

Citrus Fruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Fruits View Post
Did I just jump ahead in time or did they skip the Riders introductions?
The entire team ran out when the second guy was being announced.

Old
11-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Citrus Fruits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
The entire team ran out when the second guy was being announced.
Error or intended "team" concept?

Citrus Fruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 05:35 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

The same thing is observed with the Vancouver Canucks fanbase currently. Because its largely also a young fanbase and with the same generation before it that tuned out the Canucks more or less. So the trolling, taunting fanbase is over represented.

All we're really seeing here is new behaviors that we subscribe to. But we're on the internet so we see it a lot. Reality is we see it a lot on this board, or any board.
I'm a lifelong Riders fan, and some of the best trash talkers I've seen at Taylor Field have been in their 70's and 80's. One guy when I went to a game was from Hamilton, but in the Riders band. So he had a Ti-Cats scarf on. Every time he would try to play his trumpet, the old man in front of him who must have been 70 at least, would stick his hand in it

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Kyle McMahon

Two fumbles already for Durant, and one gains his team 40 yards. Sask already benefitting from ridiculous good luck. That should end.

Old
11-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Del Preston
Fire Eakins

And it's already a wipe.

Old
11-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Citrus Fruits