HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bergeron sent to Roadrunners

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Bergeron sent to Roadrunners

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/pressb...e=20040121_893

Not very surprising...I assume Luoma will be joining him once Smith returns?

Brewer
Semenov
Staios
Cross
Ulanov
Ferguson
Luoma
Smith

Mind you, I guess they could go with 8 guys as long as Reasoner's still on IR.

Last edited by Digger12: 01-21-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old
01-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Slats432

Wasn't Luoma sent down already?

Old
01-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Wasn't Luoma sent down already?
According to last night's boxscore on SLAM, Luoma is listed as a healthy scratch. I haven't heard anything today saying that he's been sent down, but I could be wrong...

Old
01-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Slats432

He played this past weekend for the 'Runners.

http://www.canoe.ca/Roadrunners/News...17/316479.html

Old
01-21-2004, 04:51 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:

luoma is listed as a left winger on the oilers website under the category recalled. reasoner, that's the defense version of him, is listed as being on IR.

I would have expected the oilers to pay a little more attention to their website but i guess it's only us internet types so why should they care.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Digger12

Quote:

See, I have something tickling the back of my head saying that Luoma was recalled right after that game you're linking to.

On the Oilers' website, their current roster shows Luoma on it as a 'new/recalled' player, while also showing Smith and Reasoner on the IR so it must've been updated recently...yet it doesn't mention him being called up.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Old
01-21-2004, 04:56 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

he was called up right after the oilers game with columbus

Old
01-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Digger12

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040118/nhl_edm1-sun.html

At the very bottom, it mentions the Oilers calling up Luoma, just after the Nashville game.

Man, that was a stealth callup.

Old
01-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Allan

It was in both papers - not very stealthy. I think that not much was said because they had no intention of actually playing him, barring another injury.

Old
01-22-2004, 01:58 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
It was in both papers - not very stealthy. I think that not much was said because they had no intention of actually playing him, barring another injury.
Yeah, you're probably right.

Don't mind me, for me 'stealthy' is my son waking me up in the morning with a megaphone.

Old
01-22-2004, 02:54 AM
Boondock Saint

What are everyone views on Bergeron's place on this team in the next few years??

I feel that by next season (whenever that may be) he will be behind Lynch, Woywitka and possibly Luoma on the depth chart.

He might have made the team out of camp this year, but only for lack of better options. I think that his defensive gaffes will require more time in the minors to correct. I'd guess that Bergy will spend a couple more years before he becomes a regular on this team, if he even does become a regular.

While I realize that it is unlikely that all our d-men will be here next season, here's how I see the depth chart for that year.

Brewer
Smith
Staios
Semenov
Cross
Ulanov
Lynch
Woywitka
Ferguson
Luoma
Bergeron
Allen

So in order for Bergeron to make this team out of camp, the Oil would have to lose four guys above him on the depth chart, and it would be unlikely that him, Lynch and Woywitka would make this team.

Therefore I doubt that Bergeron will ever find a regular job on this team and will eventually either be lost on waivers or bounce around the minors until catching on somewhere else, which is a shame because he seems like a good guy and I like the way he plays (besides the whole throwing it up the middle thing).

Nice problem to have though....... too many guys for too few spots...... what a difference half a season can make.....

Old
01-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
What are everyone views on Bergeron's place on this team in the next few years??

I feel that by next season (whenever that may be) he will be behind Lynch, Woywitka and possibly Luoma on the depth chart.

He might have made the team out of camp this year, but only for lack of better options. I think that his defensive gaffes will require more time in the minors to correct. I'd guess that Bergy will spend a couple more years before he becomes a regular on this team, if he even does become a regular.

While I realize that it is unlikely that all our d-men will be here next season, here's how I see the depth chart for that year.

Brewer
Smith
Staios
Semenov
Cross
Ulanov
Lynch
Woywitka
Ferguson
Luoma
Bergeron
Allen

So in order for Bergeron to make this team out of camp, the Oil would have to lose four guys above him on the depth chart, and it would be unlikely that him, Lynch and Woywitka would make this team.

Therefore I doubt that Bergeron will ever find a regular job on this team and will eventually either be lost on waivers or bounce around the minors until catching on somewhere else, which is a shame because he seems like a good guy and I like the way he plays (besides the whole throwing it up the middle thing).

Nice problem to have though....... too many guys for too few spots...... what a difference half a season can make.....
MacT told Bergy that he's not behind Luoma or anybody else. It's circumstances. He has to play and macT doesn't want to keep him in the press box. Luoma is not supposed to see lots of action in Edmonton. Their plan isn't to have Bergy as a 7th.

Old
01-22-2004, 08:34 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
MacT told Bergy that he's not behind Luoma or anybody else. It's circumstances. He has to play and macT doesn't want to keep him in the press box. Luoma is not supposed to see lots of action in Edmonton. Their plan isn't to have Bergy as a 7th.
Thanks for the update. Sometimes players don't react well to situations like the one Bergy finds himself in but I understand that he likes Edmonton and has a positive attitude so I expect that he will go the RR and do what needs to be done. I look forward to seeing him in the future. How can you not like a D who can generate offense?

Old
01-22-2004, 10:53 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Thanks for the update. Sometimes players don't react well to situations like the one Bergy finds himself in but I understand that he likes Edmonton and has a positive attitude so I expect that he will go the RR and do what needs to be done. I look forward to seeing him in the future. How can you not like a D who can generate offense?
You mean someone like Tom Poti???

Bart

Old
01-22-2004, 12:24 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Poti? - you must mean the guy who had more points last year than Smith and Staios combined.

Wait - I forgot - our objective is to win every game 1 - 0 - who needs offense anyway?

Old
01-22-2004, 12:28 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Poti? - you must mean the guy who had more points last year than Smith and Staios combined.

Wait - I forgot - our objective is to win every game 1 - 0 - who needs offense anyway?
Not to worry...we've got Scott Ferguson on a 1-game goal-scoring streak, so everything will be fine...

A guy with Poti's offensive ability would be nice to have, but on the other hand the Oilers are still in the top third of the league in scoring, so that clearly hasn't been a problem this year like it has in other years. This year it was team defence, which obviously isn't Poti's strong point.

Seems to me that most Rangers fans aren't too thrilled with the guy now that they've had him for most of a season...

Bart

Old
01-22-2004, 01:17 PM
zamboni

Quote:

Poti is an efenseman. He forgets about the D. I'd rather win 1-0 than lose 2-1 with Poti causing 2 goals against. He was not going to do well in Edmonton with his confidence level. Besides, he didn't even provide offense for the Oilers. 1 goal his last season here, that's terrific. Now Rangers fans want him out of town too.

Old
01-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Poti is an efenseman. He forgets about the D.
haha, Great line Zamboni!

For next season's training camp (assuming no other trades)

Smith
Brewer
Staios
Ulanov
Semenov
Cross
Ferguson
--------
Luoma
Woywitka
Lynch
Bergeron
Allen

Who is ready to make the jump next season? I think Luoma, Bergeron, are challenging again. Woywitka almost made the deep Philly lineup. Lynch didn't look too bad, but will probably need some additional seasoning. Allen, I don't have that much hopes for, but I could be wrong.

How many seasons left does Ulanov have? He's already 34 or something. I can see Smith being shipped out during the summer to make room unless Lowe manages to sign Smith for a longer term contract. Luoma can probably challenge Cross as they play a similar style. I believe Staios has already signed a long term contract. And Cross is signed for a while at reasonable rate.

Brewer - Staios
Ulanov - Semenov
Cross - Woywitka/Lynch/Bergeron
Ferguson

But I can also see Woywitka and Bergeron playing so incredibly well that one of the veterans (Ulanov or Cross) either being shipped out or sat as the 7th defenseman while Ferguson gets sent down to the Minors. During that time, Lowe will give Woywitka the time to see if the can survive the NHL. If he can't, then he'll get sent down, and Ferguson gets recalled.

Old
01-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Walsher

I am willing to bet that Bergeron will never suit up on a consistent basis for this team. Unless they get severe injuries he will likely be in the AHL for a while. They have 7 guys now - Woywitka and Lynch in the wings. Bergeron is a poor mans Greg Hawgood (to steal another posters description) and frankly he won't be a steady NHL player.

Old
01-22-2004, 06:22 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I am willing to bet that Bergeron will never suit up on a consistent basis for this team. Unless they get severe injuries he will likely be in the AHL for a while. They have 7 guys now - Woywitka and Lynch in the wings. Bergeron is a poor mans Greg Hawgood (to steal another posters description) and frankly he won't be a steady NHL player.
That's a pretty bold statement on a guy who's 24 years old. He has an exceptional level of talent that will result in him being a regular NHLer one day, and the Oilers had better hope it's with them. And to go with his talent, there's a great attitude and toughness, don't take this kid for granted. Get back from T.O. soon MAB!

Old
01-22-2004, 06:31 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
That's a pretty bold statement on a guy who's 24 years old. He has an exceptional level of talent that will result in him being a regular NHLer one day, and the Oilers had better hope it's with them. And to go with his talent, there's a great attitude and toughness, don't take this kid for granted. Get back from T.O. soon MAB!
I agree with you on that...

Basically, MAB has 3 things he needs to work on to be a successful NHL player.

1). Realize he doesn't need to hit a homerun with every single outlet pass. That is his biggest weakness right now.

2). Get his point shot on net all the time. He seems to think he needs to blow it past the goaltender, when in reality, all he needs to do is get it on net.

3). Get stronger. He's never going to be 6-2 220, and that is fine. At the same time, it never hurts to get physically stronger, especially when you don't have size to use as leverage.

All 3 things are very easy to work on, and he can do it.

Closed Thread