HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can the Flyers...

Old
12-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Can the Flyers...

catch up if Forsberg is healthy?

Watching tonight's Flyers/Tampa game, it's really obvious how important Forsberg is to this team (and the fact that he's missed around 10-12 games and the Flyers have won none of them). I was wondering how far can he take them. They've lost 9 in a row, what if they won 5-6 in a row - are they back in it?

It's interesting because it's similar to the Rangers. If Jagr missed 10 games, what would happen to this team? Even the defense often looks better when these guys are in the lineup.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 03:03 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
If Jagr missed 10 games,

bite your tongue!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 03:53 AM
Balej20*

Quote:

It's interesting because it's similar to the Rangers. If Jagr missed 10 games, what would happen to this team? Even the defense often looks better when these guys are in the lineup.
Hmm, if Jagr missed 10 games, with the way he's been playing, there would be less neutral zone turnovers by the Rangers, they'd probably try a hell of a lot harder, and they'd probably only give up at most 2 goals a game due to the lack of turnovers. Problem is, they'd have zero offense and lose every night 2-1 and 1-0.

So, in the midsts of this 6 (soon to be 7 and 8) game losing streak...would u rather lose 5-2 or 2-1?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 03:55 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Hmm, if Jagr missed 10 games, with the way he's been playing, there would be less neutral zone turnovers by the Rangers, they'd probably try a hell of a lot harder, and they'd probably only give up at most 2 goals a game due to the lack of turnovers. Problem is, they'd have zero offense and lose every night 2-1 and 1-0.

So, in the midsts of this 6 (soon to be 7 and 8) game losing streak...would u rather lose 5-2 or 2-1?
Rangers will win tonight. I bet the house.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 06:21 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
your a brave man.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
catch up if Forsberg is healthy?

Watching tonight's Flyers/Tampa game, it's really obvious how important Forsberg is to this team (and the fact that he's missed around 10-12 games and the Flyers have won none of them). I was wondering how far can he take them. They've lost 9 in a row, what if they won 5-6 in a row - are they back in it?

Thats the trick though isnt it? I dont think anyone can really answer that question but if you look at the current points Philly has 20 I belive and the divison leading Devils have 43 or something around there so thats what roughly 12 wins back. With the Rangers playing like they are dropping thr last 6 it isnt completly crazy to think that Philly could climb back into the race for the divison by winning 12 IMO.If they go on a tear like NJ last season its a possibility. So yes I think its possible for them to get back into in, will it happen who knows. But as for the Jagr missing 10 games i'm not hearing anything....

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Ola

Can the Flyers make the PO-

Nah, I mean they could catch us if JJ went down or we fall apart completly, its not that. But the east is so tough and it will be hard to climb into the top 8.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Wow - you must really like Jagr. The Rangers have a chance largely because of him. Shanny would have 10-12 goals if he wasn't manning the PP and attracting checkers. Somehow, despite all his turnovers, he's been on the ice for 15 more goals than against. And again, when the Rangers have a chance to win, it seems as though Jagr plays a role, and he's not even 100%. Couldn't imagine this team's record without him. You conveniently chose to speak to the current streak to say Jagr's absence would mean nothing - but pick a different ten game stretch, say from Nov 25-Dec 15.

Old
12-29-2006, 09:40 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Flyers can certainly make the playoffs. Especially if they get younger. At this point there is no expectations for the team, no pressure.

12-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Chimp

I think the Flyers are too far behind. They must perform a tremendous second half season to stand a chance.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 10:00 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Flyers can certainly make the playoffs. Especially if they get younger. At this point there is no expectations for the team, no pressure.
they have no shot. they are to inconsistent and their d and goaltending is not good enough and they still cant score. They play with no emotion. Even if they reel off a few wins dont let that fool you if you dont watch them on a daily basis. Hopefully they continue to improve without hurting their chances for the #1 pick. I personally think this year is a fluke and expect them to be back fighting for the division next year as long as they spend their money wisely as they will have roughly to 15mm in cap space coming off the books(get a better goalie and 1 top 4 d).

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Fletch

I think abev...

was talking about next season.

This season, they'd have to get between 65-70 points in their last 45 games (I'm guessing 85-90 points gets a playoff spot (I was going to guess 88)). What's that, 30 wins, 5-10 'ties' and only 5-10 losses without a point. Whe I originally posted, I hadn't done the math since I was watching the game and it reminded me how far a team can go if they get production from their top line - how that often makes things seem so much better.

Old
12-29-2006, 11:43 AM
kasparaitis666

Quote:
If Jagr missed 10 games,
If we don't start protecting Jagr he is going to get hurt.

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 12:16 PM
eco's bones

The Flyers are rated last by HF in terms of prospects. In reality that might be debateable however it points to problems beyond who is actually on the main roster now. I don't think there is any way that they'll make this years playoffs now--they seem to be about in the shape we were in towards the end of 03-04. That makes a healthy (or somewhat healthy) Forsberg a player they should do everything to get the best return for and keeping that in mind building next years team around Gagne, Carter, Richards and Pitkanen and trying to get the maximum out of this years draft.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
If it weren't Forsberg, I'd say no way. But I don't count out his ability to do anything, so I'll say there's a slim chance.

That said, for all his brilliance, back in Colorado, Forsberg and Sakic were more than the sum of either of them. Having the each other on the team amplified the effect either one could have individually.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 06:04 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
If Jagr misses 10 games? Who cares.

Now... if Shanahan misses 10 games, you guys are royally screwed.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Esche played lights out last night, and he claimed it was because there was no pressure anymore. They'd gone 10 games without a win, what was one more?...is basically what he said.

If they carry this attitude throughout the rest of the season and get a little better and make a push for the last playoff spot, well, I'll be pretty pissed off. This is the first chance in a lot of years to "win" a high draft pick, hopefully 1 or 2 overall. Flyers fans have endured a lot of crap since last February, we are really hoping to finish dead last.

However, if the "I don't care anymore" attitude works for them, I might actually be disappointed.

They're not out of it until they're out of it, but right now, it's looking pretty impossible. I'd be curious to know if a team has ever been dead last on January 1st and gone on to make the playoffs.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 01:01 AM
NYRMatt

This is not going too happen.

A.) Forsberg is going to get hurt again, what else is new?
B.) Nittymaki isn't the greatest of all goalee's to bring his team to the top.
C.) There is no way there going to win 10 games and catch us (While we too are playing our games)

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 01:30 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I've got the name of a good homeless shelter if you need it.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote