HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TFP: Bergevin is looking to make a BIG splash

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Martin Erat would makes no sense here. So I can't wait to see how he'll do on the 3rd line....
Unless he has some sort of chemistry with Tomas Plekanec. Bourque for Erat kinds of makes sense. Both players are underperforming for their teams. Erat costs more, but Bourque's contract is one year longer. It would probably be a fair deal. We'd get smaller, but Bourque rarely plays big. Erat surprisingly isn't a midget he would actually be one of bigger top 9ers lol

Old
11-25-2013, 12:47 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
BS.....

Just traffic is slow on the website, need more hits. This is a complete 180 of what Bergevin is preaching for his outlook on the team and his approach.
I'm gonna quote this. I don't think we're there yet

Old
11-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
News flash - Every GM is trying to add a 'big name player' , nothing new here. Oh, and Bourque + Diaz isn't bringing back a premiere forward who is kidding who here?
Thank you for a dose of reality. A bunch of secondary players doesn't equal a primary player. If we want to get someone good, we'll have to say goodbye to someone good.

This would be the year to consider trading our 1st-round pick. One more 20th-overall pick who'll be ready when Subban and Price are 30 isn't going to help us now. Time's ticking, we're not getting stronger by waiting longer. We have a cupboard full of good prospects getting close to the NHL. Develop them, and add any missing pieces through a trade.

Old
11-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

And now Sportsnet.ca is in on the act. Unfortunately they're citing TFP and the Sun as sources, ouch.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:02 PM
S Bah

The Sun is willing to trade Chris Neil's mom for the Habs Pacioretty and their 2014 1st round pick, and a shallow promise not to beat up our players, unless they can do it without penalties or suspensions.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:07 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
What GM would want Bourque with that salary, those stats, and his questionable health? His reputation for being a lazy player are known in the league, nobody wants a player like that , not with that salary.

Regarding Diaz, you are over-estimating his value.
I haven't seen that about Bourque other than on this board... not a credible comment. Inconsistent maybe... but then again most players are if you pay attention to their game to game production and performance.

As for Diaz, I think you might be the one who is miscalculating his value.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
And now Sportsnet.ca is in on the act. Unfortunately they're citing TFP and the Sun as sources, ouch.
Yup.

If I am following along correctly:

-Garrioch tweets something vague about Bourque.

-TFP quotes it and adds their own vague statement by claiming Bergevin is looking to make a big splash.

-And now Sportsnet basically copies the TFP story to give it mainstream attention.

Boom, web hits.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Bryson

MB signed DD to a 4 year deal when we should have been getting bigger, not to mention there was no room for him at C. Then he signs another small player in Briere. Now he wants to give up assets to make up for his mistakes when he could have had Jagr for free. Jagr is unanimously superior than every single forward on this team all for a measly 2M/yr. Oh but wait at 6'3 230lbs he's too big for this team rofl. Not impressed by MB, in fact he's worse than Gauthier sorry folks.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Thank you for a dose of reality. A bunch of secondary players doesn't equal a primary player. If we want to get someone good, we'll have to say goodbye to someone good.

This would be the year to consider trading our 1st-round pick. One more 20th-overall pick who'll be ready when Subban and Price are 30 isn't going to help us now. Time's ticking, we're not getting stronger by waiting longer. We have a cupboard full of good prospects getting close to the NHL. Develop them, and add any missing pieces through a trade.
If we're signing Markov (and it looks like we are) then we should be more aggressive with our moves. I'd be okay with dealing away a 1st to a rebuilding team but if we're going to do that I'd hope that the team we're trading with would take some dead wood in return to help us with the cap.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:18 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
MB signed DD to a 4 year deal when we should have been getting bigger, not to mention there was no room for him at C. Then he signs another small player in Briere. Now he wants to give up assets to make up for his mistakes when he could have had Jagr for free. Jagr is unanimously superior than every single forward on this team all for a measly 2M/yr. Oh but wait at 6'3 230lbs he's too big for this team rofl. Not impressed by MB, in fact he's worse than Gauthier sorry folks.
Just over 1 year does not give enough facts to compare. I do think this team has a good compete level and is deeper. [thats just off top of my head, do we have someone playing at Darches level now???]

Old
11-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Yup.

-TFP quotes it and adds their own vague statement by claiming Bergevin is looking to make a big splash.

-And now Sportsnet basically copies the TFP story to give it mainstream attention.

Boom, web hits.

Actually, Bill Tull (Conan's in-studio MacGyver) intervenes on the last step and boom, it's trending on the internets.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Killerguitar101*

Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
Would anyone be mad if Marc Bergebin acquires Martin Erat for Rene Bourque?
I would.

Erat is 4,500,000$ on the cap until the end of next season. Rene Bourque is 3,333,333$, which is at least "not as bad as" Erat's cap hit considering each player's role.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:21 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourers View Post
Two former mid 1st round picks, a 1st round pick in itself, and a 2nd round pick. This isn't exaggeration this is fact. When you have a GM specifically stating he isn't going to mortgage the future for now, and he trades any of these assets especially in combination for a pending UFA or an older more proven player, you're for sure potentially jeopardizing the future.

Also I think it's a little too early to write-off Leblanc as a 3rd liner at best, while I don't disagree with you it's still a little too early. I sure hope our GM isn't basing his trading on that type of mentality, that's how you lose trades.

When we got Bournival people never thought he'd break the 4th line and that O'Byrne would be a stud. People thought Pacioretty was a bust when he wasn't producing early on in his career. Others wanted Plekanec dealt after one bad year. Point is although a player like Leblanc or Beaulieu may seem tradeable right now, doesn't mean in 1 year the trade will look good.

For a GM who preaches building from within I expect better than dealing away former 1st rounders, 1st and 2nd rounders, etc. It's bad enough we dealt Kristo away, but we'll see how that one plays out.
Who said that it would be for a UFA?

And what the fact that Beaulieu is a former 1st rounder has anything to do with jeopardizing the futur? The futur is related to the way they play, and their value vs other prospects.

You're not jeopardizing the future if your trading a former 1st round pick who doesn't play better than a 5th round pick (just an example, not necessarily related to Beaulieu). The round of selection means nothing in analyzing how a prospect play!

If Habs' management has the feeling other prospect can take Beaulieu's spot in the dept chart, then trade Beaulieu for something the team doesn't have around the actual core, how is it jeopardizing the future?

For the second part in Bold, I agree with the principle. But when you have a young core like the team has right now, it's time to slowly move from "building-for-future" to "put-the-pieces-together". Otherwise, you will never win a cup.

I'm not saying Bergevin should make a 180 degrees turn around in philosophy. All I'm saying is now that he knows which prospect he wants to build around and the others he doesn't want or need, trading them isn't jeopardizing anything. And trading a pick from time to time doesn't change anything.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:22 PM
BRAD HABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusty8 View Post
I would.

Erat is 4,500,000$ on the cap until the end of next season. Rene Bourque is 3,333,333$, which is at least "not as bad as" Erat's cap hit considering each player's role.
Yes seems to be a lot like re-arranging the chairs on the Titanic.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:25 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Two former mid 1st round picks, a 1st round pick in itself, and a 2nd round pick. This isn't exaggeration this is fact. When you have a GM specifically stating he isn't going to mortgage the future for now, and he trades any of these assets especially in combination for a pending UFA or an older more proven player, you're for sure potentially jeopardizing the future.

Also I think it's a little too early to write-off Leblanc as a 3rd liner at best, while I don't disagree with you it's still a little too early. I sure hope our GM isn't basing his trading on that type of mentality, that's how you lose trades.

When we got Bournival people never thought he'd break the 4th line and that O'Byrne would be a stud. People thought Pacioretty was a bust when he wasn't producing early on in his career. Others wanted Plekanec dealt after one bad year. Point is although a player like Leblanc or Beaulieu may seem tradeable right now, doesn't mean in 1 year the trade will look good.

For a GM who preaches building from within I expect better than dealing away former 1st rounders, 1st and 2nd rounders, etc. It's bad enough we dealt Kristo away, but we'll see how that one plays out.
By the way, Thomas is younger than Kristo.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:28 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Chucky-eller-gaborik line?!

Old
11-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
As per David Pagnotta and The Fourth Period, Bergevin is looking to make a BIG splash and I hope it's true and it happens:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl131124.html

Rene Bourque and Raphael Diaz might be dealt, but I also see Beaulieu, Leblanc and possibly a 1st or 2nd round draft pick being offered for a top line player.
Link opens with: "Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is looking to make a "big splash" (...)

Seems to me GMs don't use that type of language. "Big splash" sounds like something lifted from a bad 80s sitcom. Especially not likely for Bergevin, who plays his cards close to the vest and comes off as very understated.

Since there is a connection between the 4th Period and Garrioch's rumor, only thing I can remember from Garrioch that actually happened (broken clock syndrome?) is when he wrote a piece about the Habs looking to move Cole, one week before his trade to Dallas was announced.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:30 PM
ROSSter

puuuuuuurreeeee SPECULATION!

Old
11-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Gaborik maybe?
I thought he was hurt and there were rumours of him going back to Europe after this season.
Not sure I would give much to get him...

I'm hoping it's Evander Kane!

I'd be willing to move a 1st a 2nd Beaulieu and Bourque for him maybe even more.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Yup.

Boom, web hits.
Nailed it, thats why i refuse to click on ANY links ever given on here unless theres a nice big red "Confirmed" in the headline, no way will i ever give them my hit even by curiousity

Old
11-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
By the way, Thomas is younger than Kristo.
Yes, we've debated Thomas/Kristo at length, however, seems to me that Kristo has more of a game-breaking profile than Thomas. I'll give Bergevin the benefit of the doubt and assume Thomas is the best he could do for Kristo. Can't say I'm especially enthused about a smallish, north-south type player like Thomas who owns a great shot but who is yet another 5'9", 180 lbs. prototype that our system features abundantly.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:35 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Please explain the bolded part - and what we have had to do to this point to have you feel that he IS showing alot?
Well he isn't playing that well in hamilton, against players who won't be more than 3rd or 4th liners in the NHL for the most part, if they do it someday.

He was horrible in Montreal at the start of the year, and wasn't playing better in the AHL. He didn't show any progression vs last year. Now he seems to wake up a bit offensively, but he has to be better defensively.

Anyway, my point wasn't that Beaulieu isn't good. I do think he has plenty of time to become a valuable NHL d-man, and I do think he'll reach the NHL. All I was saying is that trading an asset like Beaulieu doesn't necessarily jeopardize the future, especially if the management has the feeling other prospects can take his spot in the dept chart.

For now, Beaulieu is closer to a Ron Hainsey than to a Markov. And he can also become something between the 2, like let's say a Patrice Brisebois. Tarding a young Hainsey or a young Brisebois wouldn't jeopardize any team's future.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
If they could somehow move Diaz and or Bourque into Perron, I would be happy.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

Kristo was 2nd round #54 overall in 08 , Thomas was 2nd round #40 overall in 2010, just sayin

Old
11-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
He better not trade Plekanec or Eller. This DD lover is dangerous, anything could happen.

Closed Thread