HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think Carbo's constant whining is affecting the refs?

Old
12-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Pascal

vCash: 500
Do you think Carbo's constant whining is affecting the refs?

Every game I see obvious penalties against the Habs not being called, goals being disallowed for no reason, penalties reversed, double standards when it comes to game misconducts, etc.. It never happens in the other games I see for some reason. Word's been around that the refs are annoyed at Carbo's constant complaining about calls (they said so on RDS one night).

Do you think it is affecting the refs just a little bit? They seem to want to stick it to the team. Note that I am not being a homer here, but I really do think it's weird how calls rarely ever go our way.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Mike McPhee

I think it might have some effect, but then again coaches seem to be rolling their eyes all around the league this year. At least Carbo hasn't been fined, like say Lemaire and MacTavish (if I remember correctly).

Though sometimes it seems that all Carbo does behind the bench is fold his arms, look angry, and swear at the refs (I guess Muller and Jarvis take care of all the line changes). On RDS last night they showed some footage of Carbo coming out early before the 2nd period to talk to complain to the refs. And I remember another time they cut to him and, for like the 18th time this season, I saw the words "You've got to be *****ing kidding me" come out of his mouth.

I'm not sure it effects the calls. I haven't been watching enough other games to tell. But it sure can't help. I remember when I was a ref (for soccer though) whenever a coach would be giving me abuse, I was definitely less likely to make calls for his team.

Mike McPhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Mathletic

it does have an effect, and it just shows how poor refs are

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Every game I see...goals being disallowed for no reason...penalties reversed

Note that I am not being a homer here, but I really do think it's weird how calls rarely ever go our way.
Um, no you don't.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 03:35 PM
BLONG7

Carbo is going to have to become a little more like BG....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
it does have an effect, and it just shows how poor refs are
Bang on.

No matter how much of a bunch of whiners, complainers, dicks a whole team can be, no matter how much the coach can complain, it should never ever effect the way any calls are made. But it's my belief that it is indeed affecting the way they call games. There's really no way to justify the constant stream of bad/missed calls coming our way. Or are they just that horrible ? Either way, it doesn't reflect well on referees leaguewide.

When you have a referee like Magoo (sp?), an out of shape joke of a referee, how do you expect fans to think reffing as whole is in good shape at the NHL level ? You really can't.

There is something wrong with reffing and there has been for quite some time. Where is the problem ? I don't know. And it's pretty much leaguewide, it's bad reffing all around, last playoffs it was horrible, and it still is. At least 2-3 BS calls are made every game, on both sides and at least 2-3 calls are missed. Sometimes it varies and is much worse. What bothers me is not so much missed calls though, it's the BS calls. The phantom calls where the ref assumed he saw something he didn't. If you're not sure, DO NOT CALL IT. That's what it should be. There shouldn't be any guessing going around. You either did see it or not.

The fact that reffing appears to be this bad ever since last season is because the refs have been asked to call it by the book and their worthlessness is truely showing up. They're not used to call the game the way it should be. Hopefully there will be a new generation of referees that are going to step up and be more competent in the future. But unless things change at the top, it will take a long long time.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I think it has an effect on the refs. Not many, and not all the time, but there are some odd calls and I think the refs make them knowing full well that Carbonneau is going to start complaining. I'm not sure that they're out to stick it to the Habs, but I think they're at least conscious when making borderline calls, and they steel themselves beforehand almost in a dismissive, "ahhh, he's going to complain anyway." It's as though their expectation that Carbonneau will complain makes them less self-critical and more self-assured.

But I think it has an even bigger effect on the team. Carbonneau demands aggressiveness. Then the refs will call a bad penalty or two (like the 2 minutes for bodychecking on Latendresse last night). In some games the players just seem to give up and become very passive. It's as though they're collectively thinking, "Sorry coach, but the refs just aren't letting us play the way you're telling us to, and even you (with your constant complaining) can see that -- so it's not our fault."

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Um, no you don't.
Obviously your understanding of the English language is poor at best, since the statement meant "every game I see some or one of these happen", and not "every game a goal is disallowed".

Old
12-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Pascal

And to add to the thoughts already posted here.. Anyone noticed the refereeing has gone from bad to worse ever since they added a 2nd ref? I think adding a 2nd one was a big mistake. First it doesn't really help catch more infractions, and 2nd I believe it's better to have 1 ref calling a game the way he sees fit, and letting him be the only authority, rather than have 2 refs with 2 different ways of seeing things. So during games players have to deal with 2 different point of views at all times, it can be confusing. Refereeing is not a black and white thing.