HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Nov. 25, 2013|Flyers 1 at Panthers 3

Old
11-25-2013, 09:12 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Giroux is looking like his old self. Creating so much out there. Pity it goes to waste with Hartnell flubbing 27 chances a game
Hartnell has sucked, but up until tonight, what can you do with him? Stick him on the fourth line? You couldn't break up the Lecavalier and Couturier lines with the way they were playing.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:12 PM
blinds

Get Hartnell off the first line, my God. Other than that, I don't see the horrible game that others are seeing (admitted, I missed the first). At least not early season bad.

Tim Thomas stood on his head. Panther's got lucky they got possession after the ref stopped the puck before the 3rd goal. Couldn't fault Mason on the 2nd or 3rd, 1st was pretty bad though.

But what is up with our 5 on 3's? They look awful, way worse than the 1 man advantage.

Can we scratch Hartnell? He's terrible out there, almost every time he touches the puck we lose possession.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:13 PM
PhillyFlying

vCash: 500
meh. came out cold, lots of awful bounces (thanks florida/refs on the third goal) and the team played very well in the third.

bound to lose one eventually. rebound on wednesday.

oh yeah and trade everyone.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Flyers had 56 total shots (inc blocked)

Panthers had 42.

Thomas was excellent tonight, and the Flyers missed a few great chances. That was really the difference.

But neither team played well really. Scrappy game.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:14 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Some of you guys really over react. They didn't pay great, but not bad either. Not a lot of puck luck either
Very true. You're bound to have nights where you don't get the bounces. Case in point: Florida's third goal courtesy of the esteemed referee.

Old
11-25-2013, 09:14 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Hartnell has sucked, but up until tonight, what can you do with him? Stick him on the fourth line? You couldn't break up the Lecavalier and Couturier lines with the way they were playing.
They don't have the balls to scratch him, but maybe switch him with Read . Maybe Couts and Downie get him back to blue collar hockey and Read hopefully bury some G set ups ?

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:15 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
I agree about the Couturier line, but what has the Vinny line done recently other than consistently get pinned in their own zone? They have created nothing as of late.

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:16 PM
blinds

Touching on the 3rd Panther's goal again, why isn't the play blown dead when the ref interferes so blatantly? Couts (I think) was clearly going to gain possession, ref stops the puck dead, Panthers get possession and immediately score.

It's not the first time we've seen this, and it's a disgrace that it decides games sometimes (not this case, although it pretty much robbed us of the chance to come back). Play should be blown dead if a ref touching the puck causes a change of possession IMO.

Old
11-25-2013, 09:17 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
They don't have the balls to scratch him, but maybe switch him with Read . Maybe Couts and Downie get him back to blue collar hockey and Read hopefully bury some G set ups ?
I'd just let it ride. G and Voracek will get him going. The other two lines are gaining some serious chemistry, tonight not withstanding.

Old
11-25-2013, 09:17 PM
BringBackStevens

The second line is definitely a concern. They pick up points but they rarely have sustained pressure

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:18 PM
The Couturier Effect

Everyone is really overreacting about Hartnell. He's been "meh" the past few games, tonight, he along with the rest of the team played like **** in the first 2 periods but had a strong 3rd period. He was good on the forecheck and created a couple of chances. I really don't see a big problem there.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:18 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I agree about the Couturier line, but what has the Vinny line done recently other than consistent get pinned in their own zone? They have created nothing as of late.
Their puck possession down low is a force, and they're all producing. What else do you want?

Old
11-25-2013, 09:19 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Touching on the 3rd Panther's goal again, why isn't the play blown dead when the ref interferes so blatantly? Couts (I think) was clearly going to gain possession, ref stops the puck dead, Panthers get possession and immediately score.

It's not the first time we've seen this, and it's a disgrace that it decides games sometimes (not this case, although it pretty much robbed us of the chance to come back). Play should be blown dead if a ref touching the puck causes a change of possession IMO.
Kind of my sentiment as well. That's a total kick in the balls kind of play.

Old
11-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Winston Wolf

Please, switch up the top two lines. Neither is doing anything at even strength. Just as the complete lack of scoring was unsustainable to start the season, shutting out teams at even strength for 6 straight games was also unsustainable. Now that that has stopped, this team is going to start losing games as they can't score at even strength and the power play sure isn't going to win them games at this point.

Maybe it's just me, but I think I've seen enough of Simmonds skate up the right wing with the puck, chip it off the glass, and if he's lucky, take a terrible angle shot. I'm not exactly sure why one of the poorer skaters and stick handlers on the team is usually taking the puck through the neutral zone for his line. Simmonds can be a real useful player, but this should never be his role. I know it's moot to even bring up right now, but once the Couturier line cools down, I'd love to see Simmonds play there in place of Downie. I feel like the offensive player Couturier is developing into would play great with a guy like Simmonds.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Readyrock
(・_・;)

That was a tough hockey contest but we'll get em next time, boys!

;D

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
orangecrush8

Quote:
Their puck possession down low is a force, and they're all producing. What else do you want?
They're producing on the PP

Schenn is irrelevant 5 on 5. I still don't get how he has 7 goals.

Their puck possession isn't consistent enough to pin the opposition in their own zone for any sustained period of time enough to wear them down throughout the game. Too many one and done's

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:

The referees and linesmen are part of the playing surface, period. That happens to every team over the course of the season, nothing you can do about it.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:26 PM
bennysflyers16

Could switch Harts with Brayden, but then u have Simmer and. Harts on same line. Maybe even try a few shifts with G and Read ? Watching Jake and Harts whiff on even strength chances is quite concerning. Very good chance our top line doesn't have a 20 goal scorer this year ?

Old
11-25-2013, 09:28 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Everyone is really overreacting about Hartnell. He's been "meh" the past few games, tonight, he along with the rest of the team played like **** in the first 2 periods but had a strong 3rd period. He was good on the forecheck and created a couple of chances. I really don't see a big problem there.
I like Harts, but he is in most games our worst forward outside of Rosehill and Zac. It's not just a few games, for close to 5 mill he has to be a lot better imo

Old
11-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

That Vinny Line contains so many of the Flyers goals but spends so much time in defensive zone!

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Please, switch up the top two lines. Neither is doing anything at even strength. Just as the complete lack of scoring was unsustainable to start the season, shutting out teams at even strength for 6 straight games was also unsustainable. Now that that has stopped, this team is going to start losing games as they can't score at even strength and the power play sure isn't going to win them games at this point.

Maybe it's just me, but I think I've seen enough of Simmonds skate up the right wing with the puck, chip it off the glass, and if he's lucky, take a terrible angle shot. I'm not exactly sure why one of the poorer skaters and stick handlers on the team is usually taking the puck through the neutral zone for his line. Simmonds can be a real useful player, but this should never be his role. I know it's moot to even bring up right now, but once the Couturier line cools down, I'd love to see Simmonds play there in place of Downie. I feel like the offensive player Couturier is developing into would play great with a guy like Simmonds.
Fully agree. Simmonds needs to be on the 3rd line. Downie is far more skilled and reads plays much quicker and can keep the puck on his stick for longer than .5 seconds at at time. Simmonds is a 1 trick pony in the offensive zone, he really doesn't do anything productive anywhere on the ice. Is famous for turning the puck over during failed clear attempts to opposition sticks in the neutral zone. Skates like a fat man half the time and rarely uses his size to his advantage anymore.

Schenn was pretty invisible tonight too.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:36 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
The referees and linesmen are part of the playing surface, period. That happens to every team over the course of the season, nothing you can do about it.
Sure there is, blow the play dead. It happens when the puck touches the netting even though it remains in play. They're supposed to get out of the way of the play, when they don't they sometimes put one team at an unfair disadvantage.

Old
11-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Sure there is, blow the play dead. It happens when the puck touches the netting even though it remains in play. They're supposed to get out of the way of the play, when they don't they sometimes put one team at an unfair disadvantage.
Score more than 1 goal on 56 shot attempts, 4 or 5 power plays, a 5on3 and this is a very, very, moot point.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

They talk about not taking a team like the panthers lightly all day, and they still come out half-assed.

Always ceases to amaze me on trap games, even when everyone knows its one.

Sniped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 09:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
I think it is more so because Giroux is finally playing like his old self, yet Hartnell is really ****ing it up. He has to be better than just checking to be on the top line. But I do agree with others, he is currently the weakest player in the top 9 and shamefully is playing next to our top center who has got his game going again.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote