HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Streit

Old
11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Funf

vCash: 500
The turnovers at the blue line are ugly, but I think it's simply a case of trying to do too much.

Other than that, he's looked good some nights, and bad some nights, but overall he's had more good nights than bad nights, IMO.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 03:01 PM
xifentoozlerix

Streit plays the type of game where his mistakes are easy to spot and the stuff he does well is easier to overlook. His ability to consistently skate with the puck up ice and make a good first pass or dump in should not be easily discounted.

The spin-o-turnovers are cringe-worthy, yes, but overall the team looks WAY better on the breakout and moving through the neutral zone, and Streit is definitely a significant part of that improvement (Berube's/Paddock's systemic adjustment to improve puck support being the other big reason). The only thing I would like to see differently from him is to simplify his game and/or be more decisive in the offensive zone, especially when on the PP. As has been amply stated, his turnovers almost always seem to be a result of him holding on to the puck too long and trying too hard to make a perfect or pretty play.

His defensive zone abilities are nothing to write home about, but then again it is not really part of his role to excel there.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Good god no - no way. Mez can't see the light of day on the lineup again...
I would rather be stuck with Mez this year and then see him gone next year then have Streit for the next 5 years

Legion of Goon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 05:32 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Streit has been awful for the most part. I hated the signing the moment it happened. The fact that Homer signed him for 4 years, added to the fact that it's a 35+ contract, makes me

The only good thing is his contract doesn't have a NMC...

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Streit has been awful for the most part. I hated the signing the moment it happened. The fact that Homer signed him for 4 years, added to the fact that it's a 35+ contract, makes me

The only good thing is his contract doesn't have a NMC...
Disagree completely. Streit has not been awful. Many nights, esp. early, he was one of our best players and he has been playing very well. Since being paired with Grossmann, which allowed Kimmo and Coburn to play together, he's been solid. His D is fine, he moves the puck creatively. With Luke and Gus, we've got the three balanced pairs we thought we'd have before the season.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 10:16 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I can't remember, did Streit get any king of NTC. I don't remember there being one.

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

His spin move at the opposing blue line which usually results in a turnover really rustles my jimmies.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:32 AM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Disagree completely. Streit has not been awful. Many nights, esp. early, he was one of our best players and he has been playing very well. Since being paired with Grossmann, which allowed Kimmo and Coburn to play together, he's been solid. His D is fine, he moves the puck creatively. With Luke and Gus, we've got the three balanced pairs we thought we'd have before the season.
This.

Streit's giveaways are some of the ugliest you'll see but it seems that they are not the ones we've paid for on the scoreboard. Either way they have to stop because his flash hasn't been a strength for him at all so far. His first passes have been solid all year though and have provided a major catalyst for our ability to move the puck up the ice. He was absolutely the only D-man at first who could even come close to connecting a pass into or throgh the neutral zone. All in all I'd say hes been a bright spot, yet mediocre. I don't often notice him in our end which is about as good as I'll expect from his player type.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I can't remember, did Streit get any king of NTC. I don't remember there being one.
It doesn't appear so according to CapGeek

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
His spin move at the opposing blue line which usually results in a turnover really rustles my jimmies.
He needs to cut that out. Otherwise, I thinks he's been OK.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 10:15 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
came here to post this... FML

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 06:21 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Even if he's only been "OK", he isn't going to get any better as his contract progresses

it's an awful signing that will hurt us in the future

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 07:57 PM
flyersfan28

i take lauridsen and manning over him

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
i take lauridsen and manning over him
Let's not go overboard now but I do agree if he is just ok now ..not sure how over the life of his contract he exceeds ok...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 08:27 PM
SgtJoseph

He is struggling some lately, but he will get it going and yall will be happy campers when he scores one from the point........Its just the way hockey is over the course of a season.........

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 09:59 PM
3Fs

Played better against Buffalo....Lets hope he doesn't stand out anymore other than setting up scoring chances.

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2013, 01:39 PM
3Fs

Forgot about other thread for this topic.....Would a mod either move this to other Mark discussion thread or just delete it,

Thank you,
3Fs

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:14 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I have to admit that I was saying we should sign Streit before free agency started this past summer. I wanted him for 3 years and 4.5-4.75 per but he cost us more. Now I am willing to admit I was definitely wrong about signing him. I don't know who else we could have got but he has not live up to 5.2 million and it doesn't look like he will.

Last edited by FLYERSFAN18: 11-25-2013 at 11:27 PM.
FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Winston Wolf

He's been fine, but he'll probably be a scapegoat during his time here, much like Carle was.

He has made some poor plays, but if this team could score and he had about 12 points in 23 games instead of 7 in 23, I don't think we'd hear nearly as many complaints about him.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 12:35 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
He's been fine, but he'll probably be a scapegoat during his time here, much like Carle was.

He has made some poor plays, but if this team could score and he had about 12 points in 23 games instead of 7 in 23, I don't think we'd hear nearly as many complaints about him.
I agree, he get's a lot of **** for his turnovers, but that's what happens with puck movers. They have to take more risks on breakouts. Same reason Carle was hated here too, and missed once he was gone. I like what he brings, I just wish it was at a lower price or less term.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 07:41 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I've never seen this groundswell of people who missed Carle.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 08:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Haven't been disappointed in Streit this season. He hasn't been great but he has not been bad at all. Not the best bang for your buck, but not a complete waste of money.

My thinking is that Streit will only be an actual problem starting in year three of his contract at the earliest (actual meaning really having a negative impact, not HFBoards overreaction type of situation). He may not ever be a problem from an on ice stand point or from a cap stand point, but I think year three is when it will happen if it does. Until then, I don't think there is anything to complain about with Streit.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 09:19 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Streit has been meh and yes his contract will seem more like an anvil by year 3 or maybe even by next year if he continues to be meh.

The thing is when Holmgren let Carle walk for nothing the Flyers needed a PMD. He was the best available this offseason. He is still a need regardless of his so-so play.

My issue is that Holmgren was forced to fix an initial miscalc by not prioritizing Carle and had to go with what was out there. Kind of like the Bryz situation. People didn't want to overpay for Carle who is younger, durable and basically just as good of a PMD (albeit with less offensive acumen than Streit)...so we had to overpay for Streit who was a need just as Carle was last season since Holmgren struck out with his pipe dream attempt at Suter.

This is what is aggravating about Holmgren. He is lucky he had compliance buyouts to help him fix his mistakes otherwise the Flyers would really be screwed. I hope he has learned his lesson but not really since he gave Hartnell that contract. I also agree that eventually Giroux's KT will saddle the Flyers as well but he is our best player so kind of had to overpay him as well. Hartnell..not so much. Also, Vinny's KT was a little too rich..at least from a term perspective.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:12 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Streit has been meh and yes his contract will seem more like an anvil by year 3 or maybe even by next year if he continues to be meh.

The thing is when Holmgren let Carle walk for nothing the Flyers needed a PMD. He was the best available this offseason. He is still a need regardless of his so-so play.

My issue is that Holmgren was forced to fix an initial miscalc by not prioritizing Carle and had to go with what was out there. Kind of like the Bryz situation. People didn't want to overpay for Carle who is younger, durable and basically just as good of a PMD (albeit with less offensive acumen than Streit)...so we had to overpay for Streit who was a need just as Carle was last season since Holmgren struck out with his pipe dream attempt at Suter.

This is what is aggravating about Holmgren. He is lucky he had compliance buyouts to help him fix his mistakes otherwise the Flyers would really be screwed. I hope he has learned his lesson but not really since he gave Hartnell that contract. I also agree that eventually Giroux's KT will saddle the Flyers as well but he is our best player so kind of had to overpay him as well. Hartnell..not so much. Also, Vinny's KT was a little too rich..at least from a term perspective.
I like the Bryz comparison because that's exactly what this is. Holmgren messed up and had to try to patch the issue with a less-than-ideal FA signing. I'm liking Streit much more than Bryz though of course, difference between a locker room cancer and a locker room leader.

But still, could've kept Carle and had some youth instead of being stuck with this contract that's probably around the same price we would've gotten for Carle, and one that will probably bite us in the ass by year 3.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2013, 11:52 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I agree, he get's a lot of **** for his turnovers, but that's what happens with puck movers. They have to take more risks on breakouts. Same reason Carle was hated here too, and missed once he was gone. I like what he brings, I just wish it was at a lower price or less term.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...giveaways&pg=6

According to nhl.com, Streit has all of 11 giveaways. As many as Suter, fewer than Doughty and WAY fewer than Karlsson or Big Buff. This puts him in about a 30 way tie for 142nd in the league for most giveaways. People are complaining about this? Seriously?

He's been as advertised imo. Good offensive defenseman who is not a real liability in his own end. As others have said, when Homer let Carle walk and failed to reel in Suter or Weber the die was cast and Streit was as good an option as any other. At least Homer didn't give him 8 years.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote