HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Won one in their last four.

Old
12-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Spectral

vCash: 500
Won one in their last four.

Habs win five in a row and now won one of their last four. How to explain such events? Lazziness, Fatigue? The inconsitence of the second line?

Spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:35 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
Habs win five in a row and now won one of their last four. How to explain such events? Lazziness, Fatigue? The inconsitence of the second line?
No.. the team was just overachieving at the start...

We're a borderline playoff team.

NO 5 ON 5 scoring whatsoever

No superstar... sniper... someone to BANG get you the goal at the important time

This team is a 500 team.

I said we will slump and lose 10 of our next 15.

Well that means were losing 8 of the next 13.

KOVALEV10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat39 View Post

No superstar... sniper... someone to BANG get you the goal at the important time

This team is a 500 team.

I would not go that far but obviously the 4th spot might be too high for this team. We are a good young team but we are not a contender yet.

The best is to come with guys like Higgins , Latendresse , Perezhogin and Komisarek. If we can find a solid second line center and a top 4 Dman to replace Rivet, we should be a good contender for 2009.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:37 PM
GSK*

No offense we suck.

Sammy - Can't see ****, can do ****
Ryder - This is not a sniper, this is a nightmare
Plekanec - I don't know if he know where he need to score
Kovalev - Try on 3 shifts per game and its seems to be the impossible for him
Johnson - Where he is ?
Bouillon - The Cube will have a new nickname soon. The "Brutal" Cube.

And everybody except Koivu and Huet are bad...

But we don't need to panic, its the first time we lose 2 games in a row in regulation time in 38 games.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
No offense we suck.

Sammy - Can't see ****, can do ****
Ryder - This is not a sniper, this is a nightmare
Plekanec - I don't know if he know where he need to score
Kovalev - Try on 3 shifts per game and its seems to be the impossible for him
Johnson - Where he is ?
Bouillon - The Cube will have a new nickname soon. The "Brutal" Cube.

And everybody except Koivu and Huet are bad...

But we don't need to panic, its the first time we lose 2 games in a row in regulation time in 38 games.
I agree with you but I fear the slump who might be coming soon. We hit the 4th spot in the east for 2 reasons...

-The Powerplay/Penalty Kill
-Huet

This year might be hard but the future is bright for the Habs.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Spectral

Quote:

This team is a 500 team.

I don't think it will go as bad as losing 10 in our last 15 but I know it will get worse before it gets better. We have no super star but I see one who could raise to be one in the upcoming years, Higgins. Montreal as a great team were 1st on the pp were first on the pk but like you mention we can't score 5 on 5. If we hope to get the cup our second line will need to wake up. I hope for the best, I think Carbo will deal with those problems and we should get back to winning shortly, at least I hope.

Old
12-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

The simplest explanation is that all teams go through slumps. We can micro-analyze it, but it's just an overall thing: pucks start bouncing over sticks, bad penalties at bad times, costly turnovers, individual struggles, soft goals, etc. In a slump, those kinds of things start happening all at once.

So far, the Habs haven't faced that, and they've been able to steal wins and points because if one or two things weren't working, other things were. Tonight and last night nothing was working. It just happens over the course of a season.

Good teams keep those phases short. We'll see how the Habs handle it.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:54 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
i like it .

It's the best time for a slump - or a mini-slump - because that could mean that Gainey is going to move to correct the second line problem .

Good thing because Carboneau tried to mixe his line tonight , and because he sat Ryder and Samsonov few times .

Good thing because when the team is going well , you don't pay attention to your weakness , but when the team is going bad you don't miss them ; Just tonight , it was enough for me to realise at what point a player like Ryder , even if he scores 25 goals , has to be trade because of all the bad plays he 's doing 95% of the time he touches the puck . And seriously , i am not in a panic mood at all .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Spectral

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
The simplest explanation is that all teams go through slumps. We can micro-analyze it, but it's just an overall thing: pucks start bouncing over sticks, bad penalties at bad times, costly turnovers, individual struggles, soft goals, etc. In a slump, those kinds of things start happening all at once.

So far, the Habs haven't faced that, and they've been able to steal wins and points because if one or two things weren't working, other things were. Tonight and last night nothing was working. It just happens over the course of a season.

Good teams keep those phases short. We'll see how the Habs handle it.
Very well said, when put this way.

Old
12-30-2006, 10:24 PM
canadian_man_44

Try not to get too down on our Habs. This is the first time this season they've lost two in a row in regulation. I'm sure they'll bounce back on Tuesday in the game against Tampa. After that January goes Washington, NY Rangers, New Jersey, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Detroit, Vancouver, Atlanta, Buffalo, Toronto then Ottawa again. IMO there's 6 fairly easy wins and 7 games that are winable but they'll have to play their hardest. My prediction is a win against Tampa Tuesday then a record of 8-2-2 for the month of January. Also with 45 games left in their season schedule, only 12 of those games are against top 10 teams. Unless some of the other teams load up before the trade deadline, the Habs should have a fairly easy time staying in the top three in the conference for the rest of the year. Of course, I would expect Gainey to also load up a little for a run deep into the playoffs.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 10:47 PM
ToysInTheAttic

What are you people talking about, a phase, they just got b*tch slapped by 2 teams with losing records. This is the mark of a loser.

The Habs thought that they would be able to cruise against the Panthers and Lightning. I hope the last 2 nights woke them up. We can only hope. Maybe, with the exception of Huet who was outstanding, the team will actually try playing hockey in the future..

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:06 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Gotta love the Habs fans always panicking when we don't win 1 or 2 games.I think people would have thrown themselves down some bridges if we lost like the Sharks did tonight.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:13 PM
!nkubus

alright alright alright, it's start all over again we are nervous fans. Habs ruled this year and will continue rocking in 2007.

go go

..don't tell me Buffalo didn't had a slump ?

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Monsieur

It's the Holiday...

Too much party...

They'll go back to winning in 2007.

Monsieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Biggsy

Cant expect them to win all the time they gotta hit slumps as long as it doesnt get worse

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:22 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
cup contender? welcome back to the reality..this is an average team who play over his head for the first part of the season...

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:29 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatTraverse View Post
Gotta love the Habs fans always panicking when we don't win 1 or 2 games.I think people would have thrown themselves down some bridges if we lost like the Sharks did tonight.
I really think some people around here suffer from bi-polar disorder. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder) But I notice the doom and gloom usually comes from newer posters, every year it's the same thing just different user names and avatars. Any time we lose I know what to expect on the board and who's posts not to pay attention to.

I will say tonights loss was a tough one to watch even more so since I have a season pass to the dogs webcast and they weren't doing much better. But I also realize that we were bound to lose 2 in a row and it's no surprise it came while on the road. We seem to struggle on the road trip this time of year, although it used to be out west, now it's down south. We got outworked and if not for Huet it could have been ugly, and boy would the flood gates open if that were to happen. (some posters would need to be talked down from jumping off the nearest bridge if we get blown out badly)

Still we have a good team with one of the league's top goalies and special teams plus a very good management team in place and an impressive farm system. Our 5 on 5 play has been poor but the new NHL is the NPPHL or National Power Play Hockey League, which is a big reason for our success. Our 2nd line is hurting us, they have been in a big slump and I don't know what Carbo is going to do. At some point you have to wonder if a light will go off and they will finally break up Kovalev and Sammy.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:33 PM
sonnytheman

bad two nights, they'll rebound, this is just a mini snag in the road, the team will play better, i'm not too worried about it.

sonnytheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:34 PM
canadian_man_44

Quote:

Let's do a little comparison before you all go shooting off your keyboards about how bad this team is. Maybe I'll compare it to the 1993 Montreal Canadiens. The current team has just as many so called superstars as the 93 team. I know everyone is grabbing their keyboards in rage that I could possibly say that when they had Patrick Roy so let us compare him and Huet. Roys numbers at the end of the 93 season were 2.33 GAA with a .894 SV%. I know Huets could change by the end of the year, but currently he has a 2.33 GAA and .931 SV%.

Okay, now let's move on to how well the team in 93 was faring when compared to our current team. Let's see, right now the 2006-2007 team is 22-11-5. In 1993 at the same point in the season the team was 21-13-4. It seems to me for a team that in some peoples words "sucks" we're doing pretty damn good. IMHO if the 1993 Habs could go on to win the Stanley Cup then the current team could do the same.

Please don't sell this team short just because they've had a couple bad games. They can and will rebound from this and like I said in an early post, I predict a 8-2-2 record for the month of January. Too optimistic, maybe. On the other hand I would rather be a little too optimistic then have my head stuck up my a** crying about the second line all the time.

Old
12-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
cup contender? welcome back to the reality..this is an average team who play over his head for the first part of the season...
Would you, or anyone else for that matter, please explain to me exactly what is meant by "playing over one's head"?

If a team plays better than expected then the expectations are incorrect not the reality of how a team plays. Vice versa if a team plays worse than expected then the expectations were too high. Expectations are arbitrary predictions based on a mixture of historical, objective and subjective data. The reality of how good a team actually is can be determined quite accurately by looking at it's won-lost record. Nothing arbitrary about that.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:40 PM
habsfan88

LOL.

Wow...I mean, im pissed too guys but come on? can a team not lose a couple games in a row? we have been playing awesome this year and no idont think we've been playing over our heads. this team is better than a 500 team and you will see. we will smarten up, just watch and see. although i do think a trade should happen to take care of the underachieving scorers...maybe bring in a guy like shane doan or datsyuk...but besides that, this team is going to do just fine.

habsfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:41 PM
canadian_man_44

Quote:

How many times do you people have to be told???? It is impossible to play over ones head. It is actually called playing up to ones potential. For the first part of the season the Habs have shown us what they are capable of. Just because they have had a couple bad games these past few days doesn't make them a bad team. They are a good team that may need tweeking in a couple spots before the trade deadline. Perhaps there are a couple players that don't give it their 100% every night. Quit crying over them and let Gainey and Carbo take care of them. I'm sure if said players don't start pulling their weight there are a couple guys in Hamilton that are ready and willing to take their spots.

Old
12-30-2006, 11:47 PM
fredez

We lose 2 games in regulation for the first time of the friggin' season and that means that we were playing over our head all along? What the hell? The Habs are a very good team and a top 5 team in the East and are far from a borderline playoff team like some dumbo said a earlier.

We have a very good mix of players and very good depth players. We even have two NHL ready players in Hamilton (Kostitsyn and Lapierre). We are set to be a top team for the next 5 years if we can keep our core intact.

I have no doubt in my mind that the team will come back strong and start the new year on a good note. I am 100% confident that the Habs will finish in the 4th or 5th spot and not in the 8th or 9th spot.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:48 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_man_44 View Post
How many times do you people have to be told???? It is impossible to play over ones head. It is actually called playing up to ones potential. For the first part of the season the Habs have shown us what they are capable of. Just because they have had a couple bad games these past few days doesn't make them a bad team. They are a good team that may need tweeking in a couple spots before the trade deadline. Perhaps there are a couple players that don't give it their 100% every night. Quit crying over them and let Gainey and Carbo take care of them. I'm sure if said players don't start pulling their weight there are a couple guys in Hamilton that are ready and willing to take their spots.
dude..its the way they lost..its not the lost...when u got overplayed by boston,florida,and t.b..i mean..they were not even close of winning one of those game...btw...sry for my bad expression..i still learning

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 11:50 PM
fredez

Quote:
dude..its the way they lost..its not the lost...when u got overplayed by boston,florida,and t.b..i mean..they were not even close of winning one of those game...btw...sry for my bad expression..i still learning
**** happens.

Phoenix pummeled San Jose 8-0 today. I consider San Jose a top 3 team in the league and Phoenix a bottom 3 one. How do you explain this? You can't, it just happens.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote