Notices

A. Sutton

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2003, 09:44 AM
chuckie

vCash: 500
A. Sutton

I was just wondering what you guys think of andy sutton, i don't see too many thrasher games.I was checking his stats with 7 points and a + 17 rating he is looking pretty good defensivley.CBS sportsline has him ranked as the sixth best defenseman in the league, probably a little too high but he seems to be having a good season . Any thoughts thanks.......

Old
12-27-2003, 10:00 AM
cws
...in the drink

Opinions will vary on this one.

I've heard some people say that he's been very lucky this season, doesn't use his size enough, makes too many poor decisions, can play much better, etc. To an extent, some of that is true. If you were able to see him enough, you could see that he has the ability to play at a higher level. He just doesn't do that consistently.

Please don't mis-read this, I'm not trying to rag on Sutton. Too many of us fans have high expectations for him, and nitpick too much. He is playing well and doesn't make as many mistakes as maybe I alluded to. He has the size and strength to go against pretty much any player, even the super-sized forwards. And is a very good skater for a big man.

Sixth best is a bit much, but that might just be by stats. He is good nonetheless. What team wouldn't want a monster who can skate?

Old
12-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Plan 9

I picked him up in my Yahoo keeper league over the summer, based on his performance last season. I'd be lying if I were to say that he hasn't disappointed. I was expecting better offensive production, but his plus/minus is certainly valuable.

Old
12-28-2003, 07:54 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I think the amazing thing about his numbers is that he is probably playing his best hockey of the year right now.

I think it took him a while to get over the injury last season, he just has not seemed like the same player he was last season. It isn't just his relative lack of aggressiveness, but at 6'5 250 he also has a pretty good offensive side to his game.

Old
12-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Voynich

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
I think the amazing thing about his numbers is that he is probably playing his best hockey of the year right now.

I think it took him a while to get over the injury last season, he just has not seemed like the same player he was last season. It isn't just his relative lack of aggressiveness, but at 6'5 250 he also has a pretty good offensive side to his game.
He said as much in an intermission interview against Tampa. A lack of confidence in the ankle held him back early in the season.

Old
12-29-2003, 07:10 AM
Atlanta Jim

Sutton

For the most part I think he's played well. He did have a run of games a while back where he kind of got in the habit of playing with the puck too much and he had some real bad turnovers. He's stopped doing that lately. And while statistics can lie we've given up something like 113 goals and he's a plus 17. He's not THAT lucky.

Old
12-30-2003, 04:43 AM
ogczar

Send a message via AIM to ogczar
sutton

As a converted left winger, he does make some mental errors. Last year before his injury, he was leading the league in PIMs. This year it appears as if he is trying to adjust to being a full time defender and stay on the ice. Let the younger guys take the beatings like Exelby. Sutton never really fought the heavy weights. The biggest plus this season has been his +-. I figure his number is higher than normal is possibly due to the goals scored by Illya.

Old
12-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Voynich

I don't know if he spends a significantly relevant amount of time on the ice with Ilya for his goals to create a correlation.

His +/- is just one of those weird stats that pop out at you. You could be onto something with his continuing adjustment to full time defenseman though.

Perhaps Brad McCrimmon is teaching the tricks of the trade to just more than XLB? That is what I'm putting my money on.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:39 AM
Ender

Send a message via AIM to Ender Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
Glad to hear that Suttons doing pretty good in Atlanta, I never though of him as a scoring defenseman. With the Sharks he looked like a defenseman who knows what he needs to do and he'll work on doing that first. Plus his size is great when he uses it properly.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogczar
As a converted left winger, he does make some mental errors.
He was originally a defenseman, Minnesota tried and failed to use him at wing.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:52 AM
Holly Gunning

Sutton is not as good as his plus/minus indicates. He's average. I wouldn't carry him on my fantasy team, that much I know.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Hockey Mojo

[QUOTE=HollyG]

Sutton is not as good as his plus/minus indicates. He's average.

So True, average at best!

Old
12-30-2003, 12:28 PM
BIG FAN

[QUOTE=Hockey Mojo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG

Sutton is not as good as his plus/minus indicates. He's average.

So True, average at best!
Average? Are you kidding me? Just because a player doesn't put up huge offensive numbers doesn't mean his value to a team isn't huge. (Look at Scott Stevens). The guy is a +14 on a team that has given up just as many goals as it has scored. This can't be a fluke considering he plays over 20 minutes a game, and lately 25+ minutes. Most of these are also at even strength where the +/- stats come into play.

I believe Atlanta would be a .500 team at best without him right now. He's very reliable in his own end - where they need him. He has to cover off for Atlanta's offensive minded d-men. Sutton is a top 2 d-man on Atlanta, and he would be considered that high on quite a few NHL teams.

Old
12-30-2003, 05:28 PM
dunwoody_joe

Sutton discussions always generate emotion. I think that is because his numbers are good (especially that +/-) but to watch him play I always wonder how come!

He's big but not physical. He has been using his reach and size to better position himself defensively. He's not overly strong but holds his own in the defensive zone.

He is quick and has some offensive sense. He'll lead a breakout and make good decisions in the offensive zone but will get caught out of position occasionally (as expected). He's a good skater and works hard.

A top 10 defenseman he is definitely not though. No way!
But he is a #1 or #2 on this team. I shudder to think where the team might be without him.

Best thing yet--he is still learning the game and he seems to be learning quickly. Some nights he is rock solid.

So +14 is really cool (with only 3 defensemen ahead of him) but I have no idea how he's accumulated that. Who cares though, I'll take it everyday--and twice on Sundays.

Now, Tamer on the other hand!

Old
12-31-2003, 05:13 AM
ThrasherB

Sutton's play has been spotty. I agree with Holly in that he's been rather average. Not that his play is average, but more that his strengths and weaknesses tend to balance out. His positional play is improving, but not yet to the level of his best play from last season. He has begun to play more physically, and has made some very good defensive plays in the crease during scrambles. Last week against Tampa he saved a goal off a rebound, and is one of the few Thrashers who will clear the crease with force.

However, he tends to have horrible giveaways at times, and as was mentioned, his offensive aggression sometimes takes him out of the play. Add that to a bad turnover, and the puck is going the other way, usually with an odd-man rush. Examples of these have dwindled as of late, and his play is improving, but I honestly have no idea how his +/- looks as good as it does.

Old
01-02-2004, 07:15 AM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe

A top 10 defenseman he is definitely not though. No way!
But he is a #1 or #2 on this team. I shudder to think where the team might be without him.
Alrighty then, let the shuddering begin.

Let's see what 'ol Bob has up his sleeve and what Sutton means to this defense corps.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:48 AM
thrashers77

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG FAN
Average? Are you kidding me? Just because a player doesn't put up huge offensive numbers doesn't mean his value to a team isn't huge. (Look at Scott Stevens). The guy is a +14 on a team that has given up just as many goals as it has scored. This can't be a fluke considering he plays over 20 minutes a game, and lately 25+ minutes. Most of these are also at even strength where the +/- stats come into play.

I believe Atlanta would be a .500 team at best without him right now. He's very reliable in his own end - where they need him. He has to cover off for Atlanta's offensive minded d-men. Sutton is a top 2 d-man on Atlanta, and he would be considered that high on quite a few NHL teams.
This i like to hear, truly Atlanta would be a 500. team without him!! He is a great hitter and a pretty good offensive strength for us, as well as a great defensive one. He has had some trouble minding his play and have received alot of minors for it. He has a spectacular +/- to be a d-man and defensive qualities are many. This is truly a player Hartley would wanna keep.

Old
01-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Let's see what 'ol Bob has up his sleeve and what Sutton means to this defense corps.
Well.. The team is 1-6-0-0 without Sutton in the lineup. Coincidence?

Old
01-17-2004, 05:46 PM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Well.. The team is 1-6-0-0 without Sutton in the lineup. Coincidence?
My fears have been confirmed. Sutton means plenty to this club. A top 2 defenseman on a team loaded with #5-6s. The team has sucked wind since his injury.

This thing will be over by the end of January if the biys don't stop the bleeding soon!

Old
01-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Plan 9

Yeah, I hope he's back in there soon. Did they ever announce how long he is expected to be out? I only ever read "out indefinitely".

Old
01-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Hockey Mojo

According to Hartley, + and - means nothing to the team, plus he says Exelby's the best D-Man we have on the team! He's been in the negative 11 out of 14 games. Go Figure!

Old
01-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Plan 9

I read that he had his cast taken off yesterday. But he's still several weeks away from returning.

Old
01-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie
I was just wondering what you guys think of andy sutton, i don't see too many thrasher games.I was checking his stats with 7 points and a + 17 rating he is looking pretty good defensivley.CBS sportsline has him ranked as the sixth best defenseman in the league, probably a little too high but he seems to be having a good season . Any thoughts thanks.......
SIXTH BEST IN THE LEAGUE?!!?!?!??!?!? you mustve had a misprint

Closed Thread