HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Third Period Hockey

Old
12-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Mules
Ouch!

vCash: 500
Third Period Hockey

I mentioned in the GDT, but Avs is VERY POOR in the third period. They could hardly hold onto a lead, getting a tie breaker, or even getting ahead.

What do you think is the problem? Do you think it is coaching, or is it personnels? I feel that some of our players are underachieving and not having winning mentality like before. I hate seeing opposition teams got the tying and go ahead goals when we can barely cling onto the lead or the tie.

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 966
One thing I've noticed, and it's been mentioned in the GDT...

...Q sure puts some odd line combos out there in the 3rd when we're losing. I don't think it's helping.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Mules
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post

...Q sure puts some odd line combos out there in the 3rd when we're losing. I don't think it's helping.
Well, I guess he panicked. But I really wonder why are suck so much in the third period...

Old
12-29-2006, 11:20 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
Well, I guess he panicked. But I really wonder why are suck so much in the third period...
Lack of motivation, Q screwing with the lines, lack of motivation, usually already playing a rather awful game, lack of motivation, Quenneville, lack of motivation.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Mules
Ouch!

One thing I noticed that all good teams with winning records have GREAT third period. IF we can't do well in the third period with energy and motivation, we will be destined for basement.

Old
12-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Roy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post

I just watched/finished my DVR replay, and haven't seen the GDT, but the lines tonight just killed me. I understand that Stats, Turg, and Arny are all passers, but Tyler with Rycroft and Lappy? Have Paul and Milan even played together all season? It mystified me. Initially I didn't like Stats/Turg together, but they played pretty damned well when Sneaky Pete came back. Whoever it was in the GDT early had the lines right.

A little more on topic ... the team seems to deflate when they are down. Earlier in the year, if they were down EVER, it was a done deal. I think they're out of that now... if down early, they can make it back (see tonight). But, if down late, it seems like there is no confindence.

Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Foppa2118

I don't think it's the line combos. I think it's goaltending not making the big saves in the 3rd when it counts, and the fact that this is a fairly young team, that isn't good defensively. We can't seem to hold on to leads, and we can't seem to come back late in the 3rd despite having clutch goal scorers like Sakic, Hejduk, and Svatos. Whenever they're down late in the 3rd, they just start throwing every weak shot on goal, and the goalie just eats them up. They seem to panic for whatever reason this year late in games when they're down. That wasn't the case last year. I really think a lot of it has to do with how much younger we are.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Draft Dodger

Tyler Arnason played with Lappy, Rycroft, Laaksonen, Hejduk, Turgeon, Svatos and Wolski last night at even strength. That's just ridiculous.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Draft Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33 View Post
Have Paul and Milan even played together all season?
Hejduk has played with Stastny more than anyone else this year.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Roy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Hejduk has played with Stastny more than anyone else this year.
Obviously one too many for me last night. Maybe I didn't recognize them without Wolski.

Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Commander Enigma

This year it seems like the Avs are really struggling to score goals when down by a goal in the third period. This is a change because prior to this year they seemed to do really well in these situations. I can only think of one game this season... against Carolina... where they came from behind to win in the 3rd. I can't put my finger on the reason. I don't think it's the young players because the folks who generally scored or assisted on those game tying goals in prior seasons... Sakic, Brunette, Hejduk, Svatos, Liles... are all still here.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2006, 06:41 AM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

I was about to ask about Tyler because he hasn't really impressed me much the last few games. He pops up once and awhile to say howdy but I've lost track of him in the ebb and flow of the game lately.

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that or if I was just off my rocker but after reading how many different players he's been on the ice with I'm now wondering if any has a clue as to what Q's idea of chemistry is? I'm now thinking he believes it's all about love at first sight and there's no such thing as a seven year itch to work through and overcome.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote