*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Luvtowatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
4 game winning streak for the guys! Love the way the team is playing. Battling and getting timely offence from all lines at the moment. Word is that at the "town hall" meeting Boyd said there was no more trades left to be made and this is the team. Now, I am not oblivious to the fact that we can get quite a bit for Smosky and Carrick (especially the way he is playing this year) but if that's not the case I wanna see how far this team can go in a wide open East. Hopefully finally get a playoff series win (haven't had one since Mem cup year)
Does no more trades mean that Smosky and Carrick really do stay? Those 2 can really help a contender. Thing is, in the east who is a contender? Haven't the boys been showing that on any given night they are a contender?

Old
11-07-2013, 03:49 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Does no more trades mean that Smosky and Carrick really do stay? Those 2 can really help a contender. Thing is, in the east who is a contender? Haven't the boys been showing that on any given night they are a contender?
The only way I would trade Smosky and Carrick would be for a big package, (1996/1997 and second round picks) if we can't get that then with the east open this year hope Martin can stop you through a couple rounds. IMO I think he's a top 5 goalie in the OHL.

Old
11-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensehockey19 View Post
The only way I would trade Smosky and Carrick would be for a big package, (1996/1997 and second round picks) if we can't get that then with the east open this year hope Martin can stop you through a couple rounds. IMO I think he's a top 5 goalie in the OHL.
I think he is too. Problem is the team can only go as far as these 3 can carry them with Spencer being the main guy. You can't give Carty too many chances, he's been bad.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Luvtowatch

Is the team as good as their record?

Old
11-11-2013, 03:54 PM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
They have played more Eastern teams than Western teams overall which might be helping. This weekend will be a good test on the road - although they already did play Plymouth and Saginaw before.

Many of the wins have been pulled out after falling behind in the games.

Last edited by WhoisJohnGalt: 11-11-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 04:06 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Team is better than many predicted at the beginning of the year. Great goaltender, Smosk and Carrick playing well, stud D in Sean Day (imagine this 1998 in the future!). Agree that the Western Road trip will be telling.

Old
11-11-2013, 04:26 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
I don't know why everyone had them last. The team has always been a win by committee team. Defense and goaltending wins games.

Old
11-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I don't know why everyone had them last. The team has always been a win by committee team. Defense and goaltending wins games.
I think Martin is playing better than expected. He has really taken his game to another level. On paper, the defense is supposed to be much weaker than last year. I can't figure it out, just let the boys keep it up and continue to win.

The one thing I do see is much more balance up front and some very good play from the young guys.

Old
11-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Torts

My answer to why the fish are doing as well as they are. Progression in players that everyone thought wouldn't and be the same as last year.

Graves to me has flipped his game around this season since the last 2. He is now IMO a top 4 d man in the OHL. Has been able to contribute more on offence and doesn't make the mistakes he was making.

Zottl has become an everyday OHL dman. Also contributing offence and playing solid defence.

Another thing has been the offensive depth that we all thought would not be there. I know Smosky and Carrick carry this team but they have gotten great/ok contributions from both Russian imports (Babinstev and Rasulov) as well as the rookies/1st year players. Everett Clark has stepped in an become a reliable player while guys like MacIntyre, Jammes, Goldberg and Cianfrone continue to chip in.

RIGHT NOW. I would not trade anyone, maybe even add a very very small piece for hopefully not a lot. Even staying put with this team makes me fine and I am confident they can make the play-offs and maybe go even further.

Old
11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
My answer to why the fish are doing as well as they are. Progression in players that everyone thought wouldn't and be the same as last year.

Graves to me has flipped his game around this season since the last 2. He is now IMO a top 4 d man in the OHL. Has been able to contribute more on offence and doesn't make the mistakes he was making.

Zottl has become an everyday OHL dman. Also contributing offence and playing solid defence.

Another thing has been the offensive depth that we all thought would not be there. I know Smosky and Carrick carry this team but they have gotten great/ok contributions from both Russian imports (Babinstev and Rasulov) as well as the rookies/1st year players. Everett Clark has stepped in an become a reliable player while guys like MacIntyre, Jammes, Goldberg and Cianfrone continue to chip in.

RIGHT NOW. I would not trade anyone, maybe even add a very very small piece for hopefully not a lot. Even staying put with this team makes me fine and I am confident they can make the play-offs and maybe go even further.
Right on Torts. I totally agree and also think that another nice piece would be great.

Old
11-19-2013, 09:03 PM
WhoisJohnGalt

Congratulations to Jesse Barwell and Sean Day for being named to the Ontario U17 team

Old
11-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Torts

Quote:
Right on Torts. I totally agree and also think that another nice piece would be great.
A guy like Brendan Bell from Ottawa, having a nice year obviously with lots of playing time in Ottawa. Hopefully could get him for a 2nd round in a draft like 2015 or 2016. Or someone to fill 3rd OA spot who we can get for cheap hopefully - Giftopolous, Hope, Simmonds, Van Stralen etc...

Reaching a little bit but maybe Garrett Hooey of Belleville. Might cost us more but could add some forward depth and some experience. Hooey may cost us 2 2nd's and maybe even more.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
11-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
A guy like Brendan Bell from Ottawa, having a nice year obviously with lots of playing time in Ottawa. Hopefully could get him for a 2nd round in a draft like 2015 or 2016. Or someone to fill 3rd OA spot who we can get for cheap hopefully - Giftopolous, Hope, Simmonds, Van Stralen etc...

Reaching a little bit but maybe Garrett Hooey of Belleville. Might cost us more but could add some forward depth and some experience. Hooey may cost us 2 2nd's and maybe even more.

Just my 2 cents.
Costs are crazy! Graham for 2 2nds + 1 3rd. Another 2nd if he plays OA year. What's Carrick worth? He's better.

Old
11-27-2013, 04:17 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Costs are crazy! Graham for 2 2nds + 1 3rd. Another 2nd if he plays OA year. What's Carrick worth? He's better.
If you are trading Carrick strictly for picks, at least 4-5, depending on the rounds. Min of 2-3 2nd rounders.

Old
11-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Torts

Quote:
If you are trading Carrick strictly for picks, at least 4-5, depending on the rounds. Min of 2-3 2nd rounders.
IMO picks don't do much for this squad. Top notch 97's and 96's is what I would want. Potentially be more ready to contend next year opposed to the year after.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Building for 95 OA year and 98 NHL draft year might be best bet. I guess lots of picks in this years draft would be good. Players that can play next year and be more ready to contribute the following year.

Old
11-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
IMO picks don't do much for this squad. Top notch 97's and 96's is what I would want. Potentially be more ready to contend next year opposed to the year after.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Building for 95 OA year and 98 NHL draft year might be best bet. I guess lots of picks in this years draft would be good. Players that can play next year and be more ready to contribute the following year.
Boyd must decide in the next week if he is a buyer or a seller.

Old
11-29-2013, 12:44 PM
FrontenacSens

What's up with Everett Clark? I noticed he hasn't played the last few games

Old
11-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontenacSens View Post
Played last night, playing with MacIntyre and Gerhart.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:36 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontenacSens View Post
The team had 15 forwards. Looking at the online roster looks like they dropped Venuto so still 14 forwards, rookies are going to have to sit some games. This team lacks so much offense, but I honestly feel an OA defensemen would help their defensive struggles of late. Their young defensemen are becoming liabilities.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Luvtowatch

Time to start trading.

Old
12-04-2013, 02:44 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Time to start trading.
Personally you look at guys like Carrick, Smoskowitz, Cianfrone, Burnside and Martin all have some value on the market.

Old
12-04-2013, 02:47 PM
NHL Fanatic

Spencer Martin is well sought after, If Boyd trades him he might as well get some picks and players for his veterans.

Old
12-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Personally you look at guys like Carrick, Smoskowitz, Cianfrone, Burnside and Martin all have some value on the market.
Carrick and Smosky are rentals. The others will be back so no use trading them as they are a good foundation and are all 95's.

Old
12-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Luvtowatch

Is it blow up time yet?

Old
12-09-2013, 06:50 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

where has day been?

Closed Thread