HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XI

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
I see what you did there...
Pun not intended.

It literally took me a moment to realize what you were talking about.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Bryz stopped 12 of 13 after Dubnyk got pulled against Chicago. I was waiting to see when he would get a chance.
Made a couple of nice saves, as well. But that's what goalies coming in relief usually do, so it'll be interesting see how it goes when he starts a couple of games and faces actual adversity and pressure in games the Oilers are still in.

Old
11-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Made a couple of nice saves, as well. But that's what goalies coming in relief usually do, so it'll be interesting see how it goes when he starts a couple of games and faces actual adversity and pressure in games the Oilers are still in.
How often are the Oilers actually in games? Bryz may have a great year if there is no hope of winning..

Old
11-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
I'd do a Schenn for Kane....**** give them both Schenn's for Kane.

L.Schenn
B.Schenn
2nd

for

Kane
3rd

I dunno...

Old
11-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Prongo
Beer

Bobby Mac on the radio up in Canada about PK Subban(it's from another poster on their forum)

Quote:
GM's are waiting the Subban situation in Montreal and if Montreal does not sign him sooner than later, GM's intend to call Bergevin and ask him what he plans to do with him and make offers.
I know a lot of us don't like him, but if the opportunities arises that you can get him, you make the attempt.

Old
11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Bobby Mac on the radio up in Canada about PK Subban(it's from another poster on their forum)

I know a lot of us don't like him, but if the opportunities arises that you can get him, you make the attempt.
I agree, but to net him would be incredibly risky unless they have a deep farm which they do not. Flyers would most likely be outbid.

Old
11-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I agree, but to net him would be incredibly risky unless they have a deep farm which they do not. Flyers would most likely be outbid.
I think it really matters what they are looking for. If they want youth and to build a young team, we would make pretty good partners. Schenn,Couts,Morin,Hagg,Ghost and every pick under the sun Homer would use. If they want more established players(like Eberle) then we won't have a chance.

Old
11-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
I think it really matters what they are looking for. If they want youth and to build a young team, we would make pretty good partners. Schenn,Couts,Morin,Hagg,Ghost and every pick under the sun Homer would use. If they want more established players(like Eberle) then we won't have a chance.
At what point does it hurt the team more than help?

If you go with Subban, you'll have another giant contract to fit and all of the younger cheaper players are gone.

I think they can be a player, but subtract Couturier from the every day line up, then subtract a 1st round pick and then subtract a player like Hagg.

I mean you just costed the team 3 cost effective players for one guy who will cost 7-8M soon

Old
11-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Prongo
Beer

Paul Martin out 4-6 weeks with a broken leg.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...s-bonanza.html

Quote:
It means your team will get an infusion of cash, with the Canadian clubs getting a little extra to make up for regional games that will no longer have blackout protection. No doubt NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has made his owners very happy with the new contract. Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis even tweeted his support. Under the new collective bargaining agreement, the league's salary cap cannot drop below this season's figure of $64.3 million. But that's not going to be at all relevant the way this is going. The new Canadian rights contract could bump the max up $3 million on its own (although it won't take effect until 2015-16 because it doesn't count as revenue until next season).

While there is nothing firm for 2014-15, a couple of NHL general managers said they expect the cap to be close to the $70.2-million figure from the lockout-shortened 2013 season (Don't forget there is a clause in the new CBA allowing for a five per cent "escalator" on the initial figure and only once in the previous deal did it go unused). Last summer, those same GMs said they'd been told to expect an $80-million limit in the not-too-distant future. Now, depending on outdoor games, a World Cup and the fact the annual media rights fee grows toward $500 million per season, I can't help but wonder if we're looking at an even higher number very soon. That's really something.
Quote:
The true test of the new CBA will be how many teams can't afford to go much higher than the floor because you know the revenue powerhouses can't wait to flex their financial-steroid muscles.

That's the only concern I see. It's at $44 million this season, and a $60-million base - with the upper limit approximately $20 million higher - is not out of the question in the near future.
So we are almost surely looking at a 70 million dollar cap next year... Holmgren has that checkbook ready right now.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Flyerfan4life

DO NOT WANT SUBBAN...

i hate how he plays hockey... him n crosby are both about as far from Flyers type hockey players as can be..

i would not taint this team with either of those players even for free...

Old
11-27-2013, 11:09 AM
3Fs

Quote:

Trade our entire second line and throw in Mez for him. Build up a second line from our farm.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:12 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...s-bonanza.html

So we are almost surely looking at a 70 million dollar cap next year... Holmgren has that checkbook ready right now.
I really like that NHL is starting to make some power moves on TV deals. Ten years ago they were begging for deals.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Hiesenberg

NBCSN is still not in every household I believe. They might to partner back up with ESPN. However, the deal with NBC is legit because I think they show every single playoff game, right?

Old
11-27-2013, 11:17 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
DO NOT WANT SUBBAN...

i hate how he plays hockey... him n crosby are both about as far from Flyers type hockey players as can be..

right.
I dont care for his antics at times but I would take Subban on this team. But its not going to happen. so whatever.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:24 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I think we have enough assets where we can pretty much keep a lot of the same players (when the cap goes up). Maybe even bring in Niskanen? Bring up Laughton. Re-sign Downie, Schenn and Gus. Hell, if he does well enough, maybe keep up Morin next year... just some thoughts...

Old
11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
DO NOT WANT SUBBAN...

Subban is the type of player you hate to play against, but love to have on your team.

I'd love him on the Flyers, and after some time, I'm sure you would agree.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
DO NOT WANT SUBBAN...

We have Hartnell, Rinaldo and Downie.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:51 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I really like that NHL is starting to make some power moves on TV deals. Ten years ago they were begging for deals.
Not in Canada, they weren't.

This deal has the potential to be awful for Canadians, unless Sportsnet improves their broadcasts (visually first off, then they need to jettison every commentator they have and replace them with professionals).

Just to give you all an idea... this is the network that put Eklund on one of their trade deadline or free agent day shows. No really, they did. And it went as well as you might expect.

This would be comparable to the NFL moving from CBS/Fox to some local community access channel. Obviously SN is not quite as bad as community access, but they're not a hell of a lot better.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
right.
I dont care for his antics at times but I would take Subban on this team. But its not going to happen. so whatever.
If Subban were on the team I would like his play and probably hate everything else. Definitely wouldn't be looking to get his jersey over a vintage Desjardins/Timonen.

11-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

This deal has the potential to be awful for Canadians, unless Sportsnet improves their broadcasts (visually first off, then they need to jettison every commentator they have and replace them with professionals).

Just to give you all an idea... this is the network that put Eklund on one of their trade deadline or free agent day shows. No really, they did. And it went as well as you might expect.

This would be comparable to the NFL moving from CBS/Fox to some local community access channel. Obviously SN is not quite as bad as community access, but they're not a hell of a lot better.
It sounds like there will be a lot more access to Canadian games though.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:03 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
DO NOT WANT SUBBAN...

That's asinine. Crosby is the best player in the world and doesn't have a "type". If you're talking about diving, he's far from the only player in the league that does it, and I haven't seen it in awhile. If you're talking about "whining" to the refs, take a look at our own captain sometime. I hate how Crosby's handled some situations in the past, but I'd never pass up a chance at him being a Flyer.

As for Subban, he's one of the best defensemen in the world. We need one of those. I don't care much what he does, I'd take him. The other antics...we have veterans and young coaches for that.

Flyers haven't won with "Flyers type players" in quite a long time. Maybe it's time for a change.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:05 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Cam Cole's column says pretty much the same thing, only more polite. I agree, and am disappointed that TSN won't still be carrying NHL games. They put out a well-polished product. Ray Ferraro is about the best ex-NHLer colour commentator running.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If Subban were on the team I would like his play and probably hate everything else. Definitely wouldn't be looking to get his jersey over a vintage Desjardins/Timonen.
i wouldnt go out and get his jersey either.
but he would make our defense miles better.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Cam Cole's column says pretty much the same thing, only more polite. I agree, and am disappointed that TSN won't still be carrying NHL games. They put out a well-polished product. Ray Ferraro is about the best ex-NHLer colour commentator running.
A lot of people don't really like him much & I don't get why. He's one of the better color guy's out there IMO. The WJC's have been much better since he took over for Pierre.

Closed Thread