HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XI

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2013, 12:17 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
I'd be all for getting Subban, without gutting the system, of course.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Funf

Count me in on the Subban bandwagon. He gets on my nerves a bit but I'm sure I'd learn to love him if he were playing for us...

That being said I wouldn't want to dismantle the team for him. And I really doubt he ends up anywhere except for Montreal, honestly.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
That's asinine. Crosby is the best player in the world and doesn't have a "type". If you're talking about diving, he's far from the only player in the league that does it, and I haven't seen it in awhile. If you're talking about "whining" to the refs, take a look at our own captain sometime. I hate how Crosby's handled some situations in the past, but I'd never pass up a chance at him being a Flyer.

As for Subban, he's one of the best defensemen in the world. We need one of those. I don't care much what he does, I'd take him. The other antics...we have veterans and young coaches for that.

Flyers haven't won with "Flyers type players" in quite a long time. Maybe it's time for a change.
Until Grandpa Ed is gone that is unlikely to happen. He doesnt seem to think a culture change is necessary. Hes kinda like Jerry Jones in that regard. He is trying to prove that they can win a Cup "his way".

Old
11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'd be all for getting Subban, without gutting the system, of course.
yeah I would agree. but if Subban were on the block and I really dont think he is it would cost a ton to get him. He would make the defense better. The rest? probably not.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:29 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Considering the contract and possible HUGE price increase in his contract, wouldn't offer-sheeting him kind of hurt us?

Old
11-27-2013, 12:31 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
It sounds like there will be a lot more access to Canadian games though.
That remains to be seen. Sportsnet will still black out games on certain days of the week (unless you pay Rogers extra money to have their channels, and you hope like hell the game you want is not blacked out), but they will have more days with national games where everyone can see the game*.

*assuming the cable package you have offers that channel. There are five or six Sportsnet channels - most of which are in one package level or another.

As for Canadian teams, I couldn't possibly care less.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
That remains to be seen. Sportsnet will still black out games on certain days of the week (unless you pay Rogers extra money to have their channels, and you hope like hell the game you want is not blacked out), but they will have more days with national games where everyone can see the game*.

*assuming the cable package you have offers that channel. There are five or six Sportsnet channels - most of which are in one package level or another.

As for Canadian teams, I couldn't possibly care less.
I'll take your word for it. But I have to believe that the NHL wants to be seen, if the coverage over these years proves to back lackluster, NHL may not return.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:37 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
I'll take your word for it. But I have to believe that the NHL wants to be seen, if the coverage over these years proves to back lackluster, NHL may not return.
I don't believe for a moment that Mr. Bettman gives a **** what happens 12 years from now. He knows that Canadians are not going to walk away from hockey, regardless of how crappy the broadcasts are.

If he were concerned about the long term viability of Hockey Night in Canada or the quality of broadcasts for the people who support so many of the non-traditional markets and prevent them from going under, this deal would not have been made.

It's all about the immediate money. In 12 years, he'll be long gone (please God) and it'll be someone else's problem. In that time frame, we may all be watching on our tablets and TV channels won't exist. In addition, it may well be that the next generation of viewers have little interest in hockey and soccer will be king.

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 11-27-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old
11-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
I don't believe for a moment that Mr. Bettman gives a **** what happens 12 years from now. He knows that Canadians are not going to walk away from hockey, regardless of how crappy the broadcasts are.

If he were concerned about the long term viability of Hockey Night in Canada or the quality of broadcasts for the people who support so many of the non-traditional markets and prevent them from going under, this deal would not have been made.

It's all about the immediate money. In 12 years, he'll be long gone (please God) and it'll be someone else's problem. In that time frame, we may all be watching on our tablets and TV channels won't exist. In addition, it may well be that the next generation of viewers have little interest in hockey and soccer will be king.
What makes you think he'll be gone in 12 years. The guys' job is pretty safe.

Old
11-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Hiesenberg

Lundqvist wants a 9 year deal.

Hey good luck with that Henrik.

Old
11-27-2013, 01:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I thought that 8 was the max?

Old
11-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
What makes you think he'll be gone in 12 years. The guys' job is pretty safe.
His age, probably. He'll be 73 then, who knows how many more lockouts he wants to deal with.

11-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I thought that 8 was the max?
It is, so if he wants 9 he's gonna need more luck than Hiesenberg can wish him.

Old
11-27-2013, 01:42 PM
UKFlyers

Interesting that Connor Murphy was called up by Phoenix ahead of Brandon Gormley. I know Phoenix do tend to take their time on d prospects, but maybe they're not quite as high on him as people thought? I haven't heard much about him this year mind, so I'm not sure if his play has tailed off, but if he's still highly regarded he could be a good pick up for someone.

Old
11-27-2013, 02:40 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Not in Canada, they weren't.

This deal has the potential to be awful for Canadians, unless Sportsnet improves their broadcasts (visually first off, then they need to jettison every commentator they have and replace them with professionals).

Just to give you all an idea... this is the network that put Eklund on one of their trade deadline or free agent day shows. No really, they did. And it went as well as you might expect.

This would be comparable to the NFL moving from CBS/Fox to some local community access channel. Obviously SN is not quite as bad as community access, but they're not a hell of a lot better.
I think we'll see some of the major guys move to Sportsnet when their contracts are up.

I'm not currently a fan of Rogers, but this deal is an incentive for them to improve everything, including their staff. While TSN has good guys (like McKenzie, Cuthbert & Ferraro), they also have had their share cringe worthy guys, too (Healy, Ward, O'Neill).

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now; I'm most interested to see what happens after 4 years when the initial agreement with CBC expires. Will 2019 be the death of HNIC?

11-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Hiesenberg

Whats is the CBC?

Old
11-27-2013, 03:02 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I think we'll see some of the major guys move to Sportsnet when their contracts are up.

I'm not currently a fan of Rogers, but this deal is an incentive for them to improve everything, including their staff. While TSN has good guys (like McKenzie, Cuthbert & Ferraro), they also have had their share cringe worthy guys, too (Healy, Ward, O'Neill).

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now; I'm most interested to see what happens after 4 years when the initial agreement with CBC expires. Will 2019 be the death of HNIC?
I can't imagine Rogers lets the CBC keep the crown jewel of hockey after the 4-year agreement. They're going to want HNIC on one of the Sportsnet channels. That's assuming, of course, that CBC even exists at the end of 4 years. They're not going to be making money on advertising revenue, and that forms a big part of their total income.

I hope Rogers improves their entire hockey operations, but I suspect the really good commentators will go to either NBC or FoxSports1 and the guys who aren't wanted by those networks will be available to Rogers.

I'm really hoping TSN goes after the CHL and promotes it the way they have the World Juniors. They'll also be keeping their regional broadcasts as long as possible, so they won't be out of the hockey market entirely.

Old
11-27-2013, 03:03 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Whats is the CBC?
Canadian Broadcasting Company - the home of Hockey Night in Canada, Don Cherry and a bunch of other dinosaurs. And one or two good broadcasters/panel members.

Old
11-27-2013, 03:04 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Whats is the CBC?
CBC is a public broadcasting company in Canada, so it's funded (in part) by taxpayer dollars and has been the home of Hockey Night in Canada for over 60 years.

Rogers is allowing CBC to broadcast games in their regular Saturday time slots (7:00pm & 10:00pm ET) for four years, but there is no commitment after that.

Old
11-27-2013, 03:06 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
I can't imagine Rogers lets the CBC keep the crown jewel of hockey after the 4-year agreement. They're going to want HNIC on one of the Sportsnet channels. That's assuming, of course, that CBC even exists at the end of 4 years. They're not going to be making money on advertising revenue, and that forms a big part of their total income.

I hope Rogers improves their entire hockey operations, but I suspect the really good commentators will go to either NBC or FoxSports1 and the guys who aren't wanted by those networks will be available to Rogers.

I'm really hoping TSN goes after the CHL and promotes it the way they have the World Juniors. They'll also be keeping their regional broadcasts as long as possible, so they won't be out of the hockey market entirely.
Unfortunately for them, they don't have the entire Leafs regional package.

Old
11-27-2013, 03:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Bettman is a smarmy, smarmy man. But a terrible commissioner he is not. He gets paid a lot of money to not care about the fans and what they think.

How minuscule are the losses the league took on from owning the Coyotes? Bettman made that money back by putting a price on exclusivity Rogers just bought. This is why we can keep having lockouts.

Old
11-27-2013, 03:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
Interesting that Connor Murphy was called up by Phoenix ahead of Brandon Gormley. I know Phoenix do tend to take their time on d prospects, but maybe they're not quite as high on him as people thought? I haven't heard much about him this year mind, so I'm not sure if his play has tailed off, but if he's still highly regarded he could be a good pick up for someone.
Murphy's a really solid prospect but he's been hurt a ton in his early career so far which makes that even more surprising.

Old
11-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
How often are the Oilers actually in games? Bryz may have a great year if there is no hope of winning..
Well, every game starts off 0 - 0, no? Seriously, though, it does, and that's what I meant - not coming in when you're down a bunch. Plus, the Oilers are actually in games often enough even with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
A lot of people don't really like him much & I don't get why. He's one of the better color guy's out there IMO. The WJC's have been much better since he took over for Pierre.
It's because he's boring and his lisp is annoying (**** it, it just is). I probably ascribe too much to him, but he always comes off as a puritan and a conservative in terms of moral values, both real-life and hockey related.

He's a well-meaning guy and his commentary on its own is usually decent, but I'll never overcome my dislike for him, and neither will I for Gord. In terms of actual commentary, though, they are pretty clueless on anything outside of North America, and sometimes make bold, but untrue statements in that regard. And before you ask, I don't have an example ready, I just know it when I hear it and that's when I get pissed off

Old
11-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Prongo
Beer

You know who I am surprised no talk of re-signing with his current club as of right now? Ryan Callahan. There hasn't been anything in those regards. Man would be very nice have him come here in UFA. Ranger fans would want to kill him. He will likely re-sign with them though.

Old
11-27-2013, 05:27 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
You know who I am surprised no talk of re-signing with his current club as of right now? Ryan Callahan. There hasn't been anything in those regards. Man would be very nice have him come here in UFA. Ranger fans would want to kill him. He will likely re-sign with them though.
I have a friend who is a Ranger fan and I comment all the time about how I would love to see Callahan in Orange and Black.

Hard to believe he isn't resigning there at some point, like you said.

Closed Thread