HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2013, 04:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
i think laughton will become a better player that couturier
I actually agree with you here.

Old
11-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Jtown

I just remember all the disappointment with posters here when he was chosen over Maatta.

Old
11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I just remember all the disappointment with posters here when he was chosen over Maatta.
I was a little disappointed at the time, not because I wanted a certain player, I just wanted anything but a center. Also I did not know much about Laughton before the draft.

Old
11-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Striiker
Non-factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Why? From what I know of each player Couturier is better defensively than Laughton and Couturier also has more offensive potential. I'm just curious what makes you think Laughton will be better?

Old
11-26-2013, 05:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Why? From what I know of each player Couturier is better defensively than Laughton and Couturier also has more offensive potential. I'm just curious what makes you think Laughton will be better?
I'm just not as high on Couturier as many around here are. I think he's a fine player but I just don't see him becoming the player many around here thinks he will become.

I see Couturier topping out as a consistent 35-40 point center with shut down capabilities (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that btw).

I could see Laughton's offense translating better to the NHL because of his skating which is much better than Couturier's.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 11-26-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old
11-26-2013, 06:13 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
i think laughton will become a better player that couturier
Yeah I highly doubt it

Old
11-26-2013, 09:06 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
this is the 1st time

Old
11-26-2013, 10:21 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
It's not like Maata is a bust here. He is currently in the NHL and playing very well. And if I am not mistaken as a op 4 defender already.

Old
11-26-2013, 11:06 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Jordan Staal's ceiling is Sean Couturier

Would that make Eric Staal's ceiling Scott Laughton?

Old
11-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
It's not like Maata is a bust here. He is currently in the NHL and playing very well. And if I am not mistaken as a op 4 defender already.
Was going to say. Laughton could turn out to be a great player and Maata could still end up being the right pick at that spot still. Both guys would very likely be drafted well above where they went in a re-draft.

Frankly, until Laughton does something at the NHL level, there's not a whole lot of room for "I told you so's" or "Yeah, we totally blew it"

Old
11-27-2013, 04:36 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Yeah I highly doubt it
I wouldn't say it's likely but it's not out of this world to predict it.

Old
11-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Flyerss

anyone watched Rimouski vs Gatineau? from watching the highlights Morin looked very good.

Old
11-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
anyone watched Rimouski vs Gatineau? from watching the highlights Morin looked very good.
Link, please?

Old
11-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Link, please?
http://www.oceanic.qc.ca/video/index...2901f6ba206b09

Old
11-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
You and I have very different standards for "good".

Old
11-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Both of the goals he was on the ice for were not a direct result of his play. The second goal was just a horrible goal given up by the goalie and the first the defensive partner lost his area and someone snuck in back door.

He had the primary assist on the tying goal, which was a nice pass.

That was just what I concluded from watching the highlights.

Old
11-27-2013, 06:58 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree as well. I've only seen Morin play a handful of games this year and quite honestly I really haven't been too impressed so far. I know the season is young and he's still extremely raw, I just hope he puts it together for the remainder of the season.

Old
11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
first thing that i noticed was when his team rush into the net, he make sure to stay back and not let any **** happens, the only guys that do that everytime are Pietrangelo and OEL definitely liked that.

he is used his slapshot to create rebounds and 2goals came from that.

only bad thing that i saw was when he used his body to neutralize that player and that guy made the pass.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Larry44

Taylor Leier was, acc. to the announcers, the best player on the ice for the WHL tonight in a 3-2 loss to the Russians. He started the play on the first goal and tied it at 2-2 with a great shorthanded breakaway goal. They raved about his play all year as one of the best '200 foot' players in the WHL.

He's fast, smart, gritty and skilled. Pencil him in for 2-3 LW in a couple years. However, Raffl was so good tonight, he might still be there by then...

Old
11-28-2013, 03:38 PM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Taylor Leier was, acc. to the announcers, the best player on the ice for the WHL tonight in a 3-2 loss to the Russians. He started the play on the first goal and tied it at 2-2 with a great shorthanded breakaway goal. They raved about his play all year as one of the best '200 foot' players in the WHL.

He's fast, smart, gritty and skilled. Pencil him in for 2-3 LW in a couple years. However, Raffl was so good tonight, he might still be there by then...
Leier was impressive, in my opinion as well. He played even-strength, penalty-kill and powerplay all night. He scored a beautiful shorthanded goal on the backhand, after he broke away and got the goaltender moving laterally. Most noticeable was his speed.

He was out late in the game for the final ninety seconds, and appeared to tie the game - but was disallowed because of 'intent to blow the whistle'.

His team is coached by Brent Sutter - Team Canada WJHC coach. Likely a longshot to make the team, but his performance bodes well in any case. He was also named Team WHL MVP.

Old
11-28-2013, 04:28 PM
poneill27

This may not belong in this thread but...

Whats the deal with this Mitch Holmberg guy? He's leading the WHL in scoring by a lot. Over 2 ppg.

Question is. since he's 20 and been passed over in 2 drafts can he be offered a deal from an NHL team at any time or does he have to wait until a certain date or enter the draft again?
I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him(if we had contract room)

Old
11-28-2013, 04:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2573
Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post

Whats the deal with this Mitch Holmberg guy? He's leading the WHL in scoring by a lot. Over 2 ppg.

Question is. since he's 20 and been passed over in 2 drafts can he be offered a deal from an NHL team at any time or does he have to wait until a certain date or enter the draft again?
He is eligible to sign an entry level contract.

A giant among racehorses, Unbridled became an even more towering figure at stud, siring a winner of each Triple Crown race, as well as champions, Grade 1 winners, and major producers at stud.

Paulick Report, May 19, 2015
Old
11-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post

61pts in 26games
and he had a good season last year according to his numbers

Old
11-28-2013, 05:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2573
^ This article is from within the week:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...161758847.html

Quote:
Some NHL teams may regret not selecting Holmberg in the 2013 draft now, but at the time it wasn’t that surprising to see him get passed over for the second consecutive draft. His 80-point season, which was an impressive 25-point improvement from his 18-year-old year, wasn’t strong enough to hurdle himself ahead of the loads of talented players two-years younger than him. Not to mention, his compact 5-foot-10, 175-pound frame doesn’t do him any favours in scouts’ eyes.

“I think it just took me a bit longer than some other guys,” says Holmberg. “Some guys can adapt quicker; it took me a bit longer to get used to the league. In my third year (where he scored 55 points in 66 games) I started to get going and I’ve just continued to build off that.”

Even though precedents, such as Brendan Shinnimin signing with the Phoenix Coyotes during his 134-point overage season with the Tri-City Americans in 2011-12, are in Holmberg’s favour to earn an NHL deal this year, he’s trying to keep his mind off it.

“It’s nice to get attention, but I’m trying to not worry about it,” says the Sherwood Park, Alta., native. “I can’t control what happens with that stuff. I’m just focusing on what’s going on here in Spokane.”

If Holmberg does indeed ink an NHL deal, it wouldn’t be the first time a high-scoring Chiefs forward did so in his 20-year-old season. Just over a couple of years ago back in the 2010-11 season, Tyler Johnson signed an entry-level contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning in the midst of his 115-point overage season.

Old
11-28-2013, 05:52 PM
RoDu

I was thinking draft wise, go winger first two rounds maybe? We're rather shallow depth wise in both the Flyers and with our prospects

Closed Thread