HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose David Desharnais thread (post-Pressbox edition)

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2013, 11:12 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Itt?

Old
11-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Tyson

He hit rock bottom and has shown character in climbing out. Good for him.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Saundies

How's he back on top? He's scored 2 goals and has 6 points in 23 games. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have him producing than not producing but the facts remain; his contract still sucks, the criticism against him at the beginning of the year was absolutely warranted, and I would look to trade him if he actually gains any value during this stretch where he's actually producing.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Et le But

There's a lot of reasons to still think he shouldn't have a future here, but all the talk about him not being an NHL player were extreme. He's still a very good exploitation scorer and a plus playmaker.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:16 PM
HABS win CUPS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Itt?
in this thread

i feel bad i said some bad stuff too

Old
11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
CHwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
There's a lot of reasons to still think he shouldn't have a future here, but all the talk about him not being an NHL player were extreme. He's still a very good exploitation scorer and a plus playmaker.
Just not on a good team.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
ottawa
go habs go

DD roaring back

11-27-2013, 11:18 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS View Post
in this thread

i feel bad i said some bad stuff too
I'm sure Desharnais will feel better if you call backsies, now what can I say that hasn't been already said in response? Nothing really, I like that he's producing and feel good for the guy. But I don't think he has a future here and would trade him as soon as I can.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:20 PM
MDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
DD roaring back
I hope so, we need his trade value to increase.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:20 PM
MXD

Oddly...
At the beginning of the season, DD played much better games than this one, and got no points.

Didn't play great at all tonight, got 2 points.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
'Very good' is pushing it IMO. Well I guess my definition of very good exploitation scorer would be a competent point producer who can produce high end with exploitation minutes - Ribeiro.

I think Kyle Wellwood is a good comparable (better work ethic/skating + worse hands/faceoff/defensively). Neither are ideal for a contender but can be useful if you don't have good offensive depth. Unlike Wellwood though, Desharnais is getting paid.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:23 PM
HABS win CUPS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDN View Post
this isnt going well

Old
11-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
I think it's wishful thinking to think any team would actually give up anything for Desharnais. It's more like he has to do well or else Habs have a 3.5M cap handicap for 4 seasons.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

After all that line juggling, it turns out the remedy was to put him back on a familiar line. He needs pacioretty and Gallagher. Hopefully he can build himself up to the point that he can become a tradeable asset. In the long run, he's not a solution to the Habs cup aspirations.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
'Very good' is pushing it IMO. Well I guess my definition of very good exploitation scorer would be a competent point producer who can produce high end with exploitation minutes - Ribeiro.

I think Kyle Wellwood is a good comparable (better work ethic/skating + worse hands/faceoff/defensively). Neither are ideal for a contender but can be useful if you don't have good offensive depth. Unlike Wellwood though, Desharnais is getting paid.
I'm being nice. I consider Desharnais effectively a 3rd liner, and so he's definitely getting overpaid for it, so yes, closer to a Wellwood or an Andrei Kostitsyn than a Ribeiro, but his passing is valuable.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:48 PM
CarrePrisme

I wanna know who will replace Desharnais as the whipping boy on this board. I predict Bourque. Perhaps Parros, though he is inconsequential.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 60
Quote:
Let him continue doing what he's doing -- although he'll always be a bitter pill for any opposing GM to swallow since he's going to represent the tax part in any business transaction -- the player a team has to take in order for them to secure the player they really want.

Old
11-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
I wanna know who will replace Desharnais as the whipping boy on this board. I predict Bourque. Perhaps Parros, though he is inconsequential.
DD had 1 point in his first 19 games, is one the first year of his extension that was too long to begin with, was still getting good linemates and PP time. So ya, he wasn't a whipping boy, he wasn't living up to the standards, the criticism was warranted.

Bourque is also getting his share of criticism, there's a thread called ''The ''I can't stand Rene Bourque'' Thread. It's warranted as well.

Parros is a guy that plays 5min when dressed, he will never be a whipping boy.

Old
11-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Hugo Sham

he's playing better but still playing a perimeter game (and soft minutes) - aside from PP..which gets me thinking..this Therrien bromance has to end..when the **** will eller, chucky and pleks get some pp time?

Old
11-28-2013, 12:13 AM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
DD had 1 point in his first 19 games, is one the first year of his extension that was too long to begin with, was still getting good linemates and PP time. So ya, he wasn't a whipping boy, he wasn't living up to the standards, the criticism was warranted.

Bourque is also getting his share of criticism, there's a thread called ''The ''I can't stand Rene Bourque'' Thread. It's warranted as well.

Parros is a guy that plays 5min when dressed, he will never be a whipping boy.
Or maybe slumps happen.

Old
11-28-2013, 02:05 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 60
Slumps happen intermittently.

One-dimensional dwarfism happens for life.

Old
11-28-2013, 02:47 AM
boynickname

Quote:
For me it is not making Desharnais a whipping boy....I really admire him. He was never suppose to make the NHL....and he has.

I really think he can continue to produce at the NHL level. My problem is that the Habs are very small and when playoffs come around small centers disappear....

We need to get bigger at center. If we need to spend so much energy getting DD going instead of experimenting with Eller, Alex Galchenyuk,and Michaël Bournival with Tomas Plekanec as our 3rd line shut down center is crazy.

Everyone watches playoff hockey and knows you need these bigger (not the biggest) centers to open up the playing field for smaller high skilled wingers.....which DD is not.

He has already stated he can not play wing so to me DD.....or better Desharnais does not help us for a real playoff run.

Price and Subban...and I really believe Alex Galchenyuk at center our are future. Play Pacman with Eller and Chucky with Alex Galchenyuk........for our future CUP run

And trade DD because he really does deserve to be in the NHL...but not with Habs because of the way the team has been built...sorry but we can"t have 3 forwards under 5-9....along with a D-man to boot~

Old
11-28-2013, 03:41 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Whipping boy? He deserved the criticism he got and so does Bourque.

Old
11-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Mr. Hab

I do like that his value is going UP instead of DOWN!!

PROS (DD):
crafty passer and sometimes has good hand-eye coordination for tip-ins...seems like a nice, down-to-earth guy in interviews! (but never met him!). Good for feeding snipers (ex: Pacioretty).

CONS:
very small, not fast, not slow, but still not that fast! (smooth skater, decent speed, but should be faster at that size/height). Not a playoff player...hopefully I'm wrong in case he's here for some playoff hockey. Seems like you really really really need to surround him with really really good players!
And, if his passes aren't working...he becomes too predictable (rarely shoots at net).

My wish for playoffs:
Bourque/Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust/Gallagher
Pacioretty/Bourque-Briere OR Prust-Gallagher/Prust/Briere
Moen-Bournival-White

Old
11-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Prust should be nowhere near the top 9. He's been awful with the ice time he's been given this year. Move Bournival back up and make Prust-White-Moen a line.

Closed Thread