HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need serious skate help.

Old
10-28-2013, 11:26 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

vCash: 500
Need serious skate help.

I was skating on Bauer vapor x50s for a few years, and had some mild-minimum foot pain in my arches. Recently, I got some nice insoles and threw them in, and my problem was solved.

I needed new skates, and went to my local hockey shop. Recently, they got in a shipment of LA Kings gear. I tried on a pair of Willie Mitchell TotalOnes, and fell in love. They said that a lot of the skates had only been used a few times, and we came to the conclusion that these had only been worn a few skates (very little cosmetic damage, Not broken in at all). I spent $400 on these skates and they felt amazing in shop, with my insoles in.

Tonight, I skated on them for the first time, and they KILLED my feet. The pain in my arches was serious. Way more than ever with my x50s. I skated for 5 minutes, then had to switch back into my x50s.

Before I go and try to negotiate a return for pro stock skates, I need to know if this problem is just because they're new skates, and need broken in? Or is the structure of the vapor x50 so much different than the supreme TotalOne that it would cause serious pain, even with the insole?

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:03 AM
jsykes

In retail skates, the difference in fit between the Supreme line and Vapor line are very different. Not so much in the arches, but that can certainly be a side effect of poor fit in other areas.

However, you're talking about pro stock skates here, so there is nothing that is to say that those Supremes fit like a retail Supreme. Customs can be whatever the player wants them to be, so you're dealing with a lot more of a basic fit difference between two models of skates, you're dealing with what that players foot is shaped like and what your foot is shaped like.

So no one can really answer your questions since we dont know how Mitchell's skates are actually built.

You may just need to try other insoles, maybe some custom insoles, maybe try to punch or stretch certain areas, etc.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 09:05 AM
AIREAYE

Did you bake them? Is the pain an indication of narrowness or the collapsing of your arches?

You should remember that they are custom; meaning that the fit is customized to that player's foot, and may not resemble the retail Supreme fit.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Did you bake them? Is the pain an indication of narrowness or the collapsing of your arches?

You should remember that they are custom; meaning that the fit is customized to that player's foot, and may not resemble the retail Supreme fit.
Yes, I baked them. The pain is in the collapse of my arches, the width is perfectly fine.

Old
10-29-2013, 11:34 AM
AIREAYE

what jsykes said. what insoles are in there? consider ccm's arch support ones?

Old
10-29-2013, 01:15 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
what jsykes said. what insoles are in there? consider ccm's arch support ones?
I was recommended these over the CCM ones, and got them. They worked perfect in my vapors.

http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insol...sandals/yellow

Old
10-29-2013, 02:48 PM
AIREAYE

Superfeet is pretty awesome, but its a completely different support system when compared to the CCM product. The CCM is an arch support. SF is a foot and heel stabilizer.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:56 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Superfeet is pretty awesome, but its a completely different support system when compared to the CCM product. The CCM is an arch support. SF is a foot and heel stabilizer.
Interesting. Might have to get those checked out!

Old
10-29-2013, 05:37 PM
goodriddance628

the CCM arch support foot beds and the superfeet are way different first determine what arch your feet are they can due that at the LHS with the CCM foot disc if they don't have the foot disc get your foot wet and take a 3 normal steps if your foot print barely shows any of your foot between your toes and heal you have high arches if there's more of that area showing your medium or neutral and if your foot prints shows your whole foot from toes to heal you are flat footed and have low arches, when I was picking new foot beds I tried the CCM and super feet foot beds I have really high arches and the super feet offered very little arch support for me once I put the CCM high arch foot beds in I couldn't believe how they felt

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 06:43 PM
AIREAYE

More punctuation next time please lol that was hard to read haha

Old
10-30-2013, 01:07 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I put my old foot beds (from in my x50s) and they felt better, but not great. The pain was bearable while I break them in, and go get some of the CCMs. Thanks for the help, guys! Much appreciated

Old
10-30-2013, 05:08 PM
goodriddance628

Quote:
More punctuation next time please lol that was hard to read haha
haha I did that on my phone wasn't really thinking of punctuation just correcting auto correct

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2013, 05:28 PM
will13

I also use the superfeets.. I bought a pair of one95s 2or3 years ago and they feel great. I got them molded around my foot and swapped the insoles with the superfeets and they feel great.

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcoyotes View Post
Tonight, I skated on them for the first time, and they KILLED my feet. The pain in my arches was serious.
90% of the time, Arch pain is due to tightening the skate wrong causing the blood not to circulate through the foot correctly.

If you locate the lace eye holes starting at the toe of the skate, count up four lace holes up from the toes towards the ankle on both sides of the boot. The laces that go through the four lace holes on each side should be very loose.

As for the rest of the lace holes, the lace needs to be very tight to provide ankle support. But the bottom four needs to be loose to allow blood to circulate through the toes and arch support.

When there is no blood circulation, it causes the arch to ache like someone had just driven a knife into the bottom of your foot. By loosing up the laces that go through the four bottom eye lace holes, the pain is reduced due to added blood flow.

11-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Stickchecked

I used to have issues over tightening my laces but then I struggled with skates that felt a little loose. This was made worse after replacing a broken lace with waxed laces.

Lately, though, I discovered if I crank down on the bottom two loops HARD and just apply normal pressure on the middle loops and then tight on the top two, my foot feels snug in the boot and I have zero pain/discomfort.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:40 AM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Perhaps you are dealing with the lateral stiffness of the supremes, the supreme line is one of the stiffest skates on the market, and comparing them to the older vapor skates, it's just two totally different boots.

Don't expect those to "break in" that much, they are meant to be stiff, if anything your foot will break in, kidding slightly, but not entirely, your foot will probably adjust. I remember the first 2 times I put on my supremes it felt like i was walking barefooted on concrete slab, unbelievably stiff. Now I love them, approx 30-40 skates on them.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 12:22 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Perhaps you are dealing with the lateral stiffness of the supremes, the supreme line is one of the stiffest skates on the market, and comparing them to the older vapor skates, it's just two totally different boots.
Completely false.

Old
11-22-2013, 01:43 PM
jsykes

Why is that false? I'd agree, Supremes are one of the stiffest skate lines out there.

Old
11-22-2013, 02:42 PM
AIREAYE

No way, what are you comparing? Price-point to price-point?

Old
11-22-2013, 03:11 PM
jsykes

At any particular price point I think Supremes are one of the stiffest going. I skate in TOs and they are even softer than a One.9 and I still cant lace them up all the way or they are bricks (they just happen to fit me best). Other than maybe an APX, which are also insanely stiff, there isnt much stiffer.

Reebok, Graf and Easton are all definitely softer and CCM is pretty close, but still softer imo.

Old
11-22-2013, 03:42 PM
AIREAYE

Price-point for price-point, you can easily compare Supreme and Vapor. The lower level skates from everyone are pretty close. The divergence happens at that mid level. For that reason I disagree with the opinion that the entire line is stiffer.

Old
11-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Should I bake my skates with Superfeet in my skates?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 07:37 PM
AIREAYE

Bake them without SF in the oven with the skates. Put the SF in right after the skates come out of the oven and proceed.

Old
11-28-2013, 09:13 PM
vapor11

I did some research online before hand and saw mixed answers but I recently baked my 5.0s with superfeet in.. No problems

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Bake them without SF in the oven with the skates. Put the SF in right after the skates come out of the oven and proceed.

So, bring them with you into the store and place them in before you put them on your feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor11 View Post
I did some research online before hand and saw mixed answers but I recently baked my 5.0s with superfeet in.. No problems
Interesting, I am just not going to do it just in case something happens (the insole melts or something), its too expensive to risk it.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote