HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predator Prospect Updates

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
FYI, Blake Geoffrion is playing left wing for the US. He was drafted by the Predators as a center prospect and he is playing center at Wisconsin, but had previously played wing for the US NTDP prior to the draft.

Old
12-27-2006, 02:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I cannot wait to get Franson's passing and point shot on our PP. Cannot wait.

Old
12-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
And his defense didn't look too bad either. Great prospect. A total steal in the second round...this kid wasn't even invited to the CHL Top Prospects game in his draft year despite being named Vancouver's Most Improved Player.

Franson should provide the Predators with a big, yet surprisingly very mobile defenseman that can quarterback the power play and is known for making excellent passes out of the defensive zone. He still needs to improve his physical game, but he still has a ways to go on filling out his lanky frame with muscle.

Old
12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
And his defense didn't look too bad either. Great prospect. A total steal in the second round
He was a 3rd rounder

Old
12-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
He was a 3rd rounder
I was thinking that after I typed it, but didn't have time to look it up. What a steal!!!

Old
12-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Beaner

Watched Franson today, and in fact watch him all year here in Vancouver, and you did in fact get a steal considering you got him in third round.

Looks like Cody is only getting PP time right now, but c'est la vie. I have noticed that he has gotten beat ont he outside a couple times during the tourny, it looks to me like he is a step slow right now.

There was a report he had a hip injury here in Vancouver, I'm wondering if that is what is slowing him down, because he is not usually that slow.

Another tidbit - Franson and Weber are from the same home town (Sicamous, BC), and neither were drafted in the WHL bantam draft....

Old
12-28-2006, 01:33 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
You will be pleasently suprised how good this 6'5'' 220 pound fella is defensively then.

Old
12-28-2006, 09:44 AM
ladypredator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
Watched Franson today, and in fact watch him all year here in Vancouver, and you did in fact get a steal considering you got him in third round.

Looks like Cody is only getting PP time right now, but c'est la vie. I have noticed that he has gotten beat ont he outside a couple times during the tourny, it looks to me like he is a step slow right now.

There was a report he had a hip injury here in Vancouver, I'm wondering if that is what is slowing him down, because he is not usually that slow.

Another tidbit - Franson and Weber are from the same home town (Sicamous, BC), and neither were drafted in the WHL bantam draft....

Twisting his ankle in the exhibition game can't have helped his foot speed either. Glad he's getting the PP opportunity.

Franson and Weber grew up together; their families are close friends. Franson's said that Weber is his role model as Weber is a couple of years older. Going to be awesome to see them both on the blueline for the Predators in the future.

Regarding Geoffrion - I was seriously impressed with him in this game. He was excellent throughout, but particularly on the penalty kill. Every team needs that, so it was good to see him do so well in those situations. But he also showed some ability to make things happen offensively, he got a couple of good scoring chances and set up his linemates for some opportunities as well. His line with Carman and Sweatt was definitely the best on the ice for Team USA and most of it was due to simply working harder than anyone else.

Old
12-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Savolainen

Laakso scored 2 goals for Finland in a 6-2 win against Czech!

He already has 3 points (2+1) in the first 2 games!

Old
12-29-2006, 04:26 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savolainen View Post
Laakso scored 2 goals for Finland in a 6-2 win against Czech!

He already has 3 points (2+1) in the first 2 games!

Not to mention he leads the tournament in +/-, d-men scoring and PIM (and his 3 points in 2 exhibition games as well)

And yes, I know it's only two games in.

Old
12-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Savolainen

Another goal for Laakso in Finland's 4-0 win against Swiss!

Old
12-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Seth Lake

Predators power forward prospect Ryan Maki of Havard is playing in the Great Lakes Invitational third-place game on FSN Detroit right now for anyone interested.

Maki is a Michigan native and had a goal and an assist in last night's loss.

Predators goalie prospect Mark Dekanich of Colgate is backstopping the Red Raiders in the UConn Holiday Classic championship game against UConn tonight too. Sorry, no TV for that contest.

I'm sure there are more prospects playing in tournaments this weekend outside of the WJC's, but...these are the ones that caught my attention right now.

Old
12-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Seth Lake

An "unconfirmed rumor" out of Guelph has it that the Storm have traded Predators prospect and Storm captain Ryan Parent to the Belleville Bulls in the OHL. Belleville is in first place in the Eastern Division, while Guelph is sitting in fourth place in the Midwest Division.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=327273

***Mods feel free to delete this if you feel necessary, just thought it would be newsworthy...although I'm not sure I can post a link to another thread on the same forum without a link in it as a source. If not, I'm sorry.

Old
12-31-2006, 05:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
An "unconfirmed rumor" out of Guelph has it that the Storm have traded Predators prospect and Storm captain Ryan Parent to the Belleville Bulls in the OHL. Belleville is in first place in the Eastern Division, while Guelph is sitting in fourth place in the Midwest Division.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=327273

***Mods feel free to delete this if you feel necessary, just thought it would be newsworthy...although I'm not sure I can post a link to another thread on the same forum without a link in it as a source. If not, I'm sorry.
That's interesting. Never a bad thing when we get our guys into a winning environment.

Teemu Laakso is quietly having a whale of a tournament, by the way. I think he might be our most underrated prospect, even by our fans. He was set to be a first rounder in 05, but fell due to injuries before the draft.

Old
12-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
That's interesting. Never a bad thing when we get our guys into a winning environment.
My thoughts exactly. Parent's development is much better suited by making a deep run in the Memorial Cup playoffs with Belleville than it would be by finishing out the season in Guelph and heading to Milwaukee to get in some late regular season games and maybe some playoff action. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Teemu Laakso is quietly having a whale of a tournament, by the way. I think he might be our most underrated prospect, even by our fans. He was set to be a first rounder in 05, but fell due to injuries before the draft.
I too think he is underrated because we here in the States don't get to see him anywhere but the WJC's and are also unable to read many of the news articles charting his progress due to the language barrier.

The two injuries during his draft year really dropped him down and luckily landed him in a spot where the Predators could snatch him up in the third round with Franson. Here's hoping to continued good health for Laakso and all of our other players throughout the rest of the season and beyond.

Old
12-31-2006, 09:38 PM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
I had to read this twice. I was just read it real fast first and only saw...

trade, Predators prospect Ryan Parent... scared me there for a second.

Old
12-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
I had to read this twice. I was just read it real fast first and only saw...

trade, Predators prospect Ryan Parent... scared me there for a second.
I was thinking of really trying to fool people by making a whole new thread named "Ryan Parent Traded...", but I figured with the Prospect thread already here and the whole "unconfirmed rumor" part of it...I would simply tuck it in here for the time being.

Sorry for any confusion.

Old
01-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Mystic

Parent

Sorry, is there already a thread about how he does in the WJC in Sweden?

Old
01-01-2007, 06:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Sorry, is there already a thread about how he does in the WJC in Sweden?
any prospect updates take place in the preds prospect thread stickied at the top.

Old
01-01-2007, 06:39 PM
teddygmr

Laakso is VERY under-rated and it will be very interesting to se him play next season. I understand that he will be coming over to north America.
IS this a situation where if he is not signed by June 1 , then he will be a ufa, due to adjustments in the new CBA?

Old
01-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Laakso is VERY under-rated and it will be very interesting to se him play next season. I understand that he will be coming over to north America.
IS this a situation where if he is not signed by June 1 , then he will be a ufa, due to adjustments in the new CBA?
Yes, if he is not signed by the draft this summer he will be a UFA...so there will be a big push to get him under contract as soon as his European season ends.

Old
01-02-2007, 02:33 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
If he comes over, what kind of a role do you guys see him getting in your AHL team (because it's important for Laakso's game to get at least 12-15 mins ice team and some PP time)?

I understand that, of course, this depends a lot on his performance there, but you can probably still guess based on the quality of the d-men there and the amount of ice time prospects of his level usually get in their first year there.

I did not remember that rule about having to sign him, but I've heard that he is pretty interested in coming over anyway. He just has to be signed quickly because I understand that there's a lot of interest for him here in Finland.

And another question: did anyone get to see him during the condition camp last summer? If yes, how did he look?

I was at the WJC (came back because of work), and I heard a lot of people praise him over there (one of those people praising him had a Detroit logo on his jacket and was talking to Steve Yzerman and other people about "Kenny" Holland and Detroit related things so I'm assuming they were from Detroits organization... just a little rumor for you guys to chew on). Only certain Finnish posters and "experts" are criticising him and even that's mostly about his penalties...

Old
01-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think Laakso will get minutes. Add in Parent and Franson, and the trio should be forming a very young/deadly group in the AHL.

01-02-2007, 11:12 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think Laakso will get minutes. Add in Parent and Franson, and the trio should be forming a very young/deadly group in the AHL.
Ads D next year will be scary with potential. Either with the Preds or traded, Klein will be out of the picture, but add in Laakso, Franson, Parent, that is half the unit there.

Old
01-02-2007, 11:20 AM
teddygmr

the scary thing is that Laakso and his agent might feel he would get a far better chance to play in the NHL sooner if he did not sign with Nashville; their great depth of young D could work against them here.
A team like Detroit, with older dmen Chelios, Schneider and Lidstrom would have more room for him.

Closed Thread