Russia at the 2014 WJC

Old
11-10-2013, 01:15 AM
malkinfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
What would be your blueline then? These guys, at this point, are among the most tested at the pro level.
I would object to that. Yudin plays a minimal role on an a great team so not as easy to look bad, but he has managed at times. I've seen him make atrocious defensive plays, helooks better on paper than in reality IMO.

My choice would be Mironov, Vasiliev Tryamkin, Koledov as staples. For the final 2 spots I would also strongly consider Valiyev and Sinitsyn from CHL. Possibly Lysenko to provide some sand paper. Either Tikhonov or Rafikov purely as an offensive dimension. That should form a well rounded defense.

Guys playing minimal KHL minutes IMO are not always best option. Having a guy like Rafikov, one of best defenseman in MHL playing big minutes I would rather have in place. Also, I would not write off some of the guys in the CHL.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I would object to that. Yudin plays a minimal role on an a great team so not as easy to look bad, but he has managed at times. I've seen him make atrocious defensive plays, helooks better on paper than in reality IMO.

My choice would be Mironov, Vasiliev Tryamkin, Koledov as staples. For the final 2 spots I would also strongly consider Valiyev and Sinitsyn from CHL. Possibly Lysenko to provide some sand paper. Either Tikhonov or Rafikov purely as an offensive dimension. That should form a well rounded defense.

Guys playing minimal KHL minutes IMO are not always best option. Having a guy like Rafikov, one of best defenseman in MHL playing big minutes I would rather have in place. Also, I would not write off some of the guys in the CHL.
99% agree.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Fantomas

Quote:

The CHL guys you name aren't much good. Not good enough to dismiss Yudin.

Lysenko is awful. Completely stalled.

I like Tikhonov.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Fantomas

Grigorenko and Zadorov might still be on this team:
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...d.html?ref=bmh

Old
11-18-2013, 02:53 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
if this happens, our chance for medals will grow higher.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
If they're junior age, and you don't need them to hold down a regular shift on the ice, why not send them to junior/WJC? They will benefit from tough competition in which they will be the ones relied on to deliver. Here's hoping!

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2013, 10:51 PM
malkinfan

Im pretty sure Bereglazov has sealed himself a spot. Strong D and goaltending this year, hopefully the offense comes together... Fully expect some roster surprises from Varnakov.

Old
11-27-2013, 02:45 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Im pretty sure Bereglazov has sealed himself a spot. Strong D and goaltending this year, hopefully the offense comes together... Fully expect some roster surprises from Varnakov.
Offence reinforced by the KHL and the CHLers brought together shouldn't be a problem.

Old
11-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Im pretty sure Bereglazov has sealed himself a spot.
On what basis? Not disagreeing. Just wondering.

Old
11-27-2013, 11:37 PM
malkinfan

Quote:
On what basis? Not disagreeing. Just wondering.
He has erased the top guns from the CHL, positioning, physicality has been spot on. Cleared out any rebounds, bodies around the net. Big bodied with decent offensive ability. Varnakov has him favourite too.

Rafikov, Gavrikov and Koledov have also been rocks (Gavrikov I predict will make it next year as he is only 17 and Koledov appears to have been injured tonight)... Big minute Dmen from Russia have been perfect, no dumb mistakes, I think Varnakov really likes what he has back there... I think some KHL guys who think they have spots are going to be unpleasantly surprised.

Last edited by malkinfan: 11-27-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old
11-27-2013, 11:52 PM
malkinfan

Like I've explained above, the D is solid as I've seen it in years for Russia at the junior level. If you ask me, I could see Tryamkin and Yudin getting the pass over... I know from past that Varnakov will take a guy who might not be playing on the fancy KHL team or have the big numbers, but if he does his job, he got a spot locked down.

Forwards are sufficient for this series, they are opportunistic and play the system well, but you can clearly see the lack of firepower. I expect the forward ranks to be similar to SS with a few additions. Yakimov, Buchnevic for sure, maybe Zharkov...

Some evaluations:

Busarov: At first sight, not so interesting, little offensive value.. Best defensive forward on the ice, blocked 12 shots in one game, roughed up, gets right back out there. Announcers were overwhelmingly surprised by his performance, as was I. Just keep him off the PP please! He has a spot locked down.

Tkachev: Unbelevably smart and tricky. Big guys run him but never hit him because he knows how to dodge them. Has deceptive speed to speed the play up, or ability to slow the play down. Made offense out of nothing with great moves and seeing eye passes. Some turnovers, which Im sure Varnakov wasn't pleased about. IMO you can afford a few turnovers from a guy like this because the payoff is worth it.

Barabanov: Not as slippery as Tkachev, but very fast and agile. Smart player who can play a system. Quick stick, rarely would lose a puck battle. You can tell he is a pro.

Rudenkov/Voronin: Quick, shifty guys, not consistent but a few times a game they wind it up and make a great rush or offensive play... I'm certain 1 of these guys will be on the final roster.

Those are some guys who stood out, feel free to add to the analysis.

Old
11-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Like I've explained above, the D is solid as I've seen it in years for Russia at the junior level. If you ask me, I could see Tryamkin and Yudin getting the pass over... I know from past that Varnakov will take a guy who might not be playing on the fancy KHL team or have the big numbers, but if he does his job, he got a spot locked down.

Forwards are sufficient for this series, they are opportunistic and play the system well, but you can clearly see the lack of firepower. I expect the forward ranks to be similar to SS with a few additions. Yakimov, Buchnevic for sure, maybe Zharkov...

Some evaluations:

Busarov: At first sight, not so interesting, little offensive value.. Best defensive forward on the ice, blocked 12 shots in one game, roughed up, gets right back out there. Announcers were overwhelmingly surprised by his performance, as was I. Just keep him off the PP please! He has a spot locked down.

Tkachev: Unbelevably smart and tricky. Big guys run him but never hit him because he knows how to dodge them. Has deceptive speed to speed the play up, or ability to slow the play down. Made offense out of nothing with great moves and seeing eye passes. Some turnovers, which Im sure Varnakov wasn't pleased about. IMO you can afford a few turnovers from a guy like this because the payoff is worth it.

Barabanov: Not as slippery as Tkachev, but very fast and agile. Smart player who can play a system. Quick stick, rarely would lose a puck battle. You can tell he is a pro.

Rudenkov/Voronin: Quick, shifty guys, not consistent but a few times a game they wind it up and make a great rush or offensive play... I'm certain 1 of these guys will be on the final roster.

Those are some guys who stood out, feel free to add to the analysis.
Once you get past Tkachyov and Shiksatderov, I'm not sure whether the other forwards from the Subway Series will be included in the WJC. Barabanov is a playmaker, and Rudenkov had some brilliant moments, but it seems to me that the core of guys back that didn't make the trip over are safe in their positions.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 08:57 AM
wings5

We can expect a roster like this perhaps?

Slepshev-Buchnevich-Zhafyarov
Zharkov-Barbashev-Tkachyov
Kuptsov-Yakimov-Barabanov
Golyshev -Osnovin-Zykov
Rudenkov

Mironov-Zadorov
Tryamkin -Yudin
Koledov-Bereglazov
Rafikov

Vasilevski
Nalimov
Sorokin

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Fantomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post

Golyshev -Osnovin-Zykov
Rudenkov

Mironov-Zadorov
Tryamkin -Yudin
Koledov-Bereglazov
Rafikov

Vasilevski
Nalimov
Sorokin
I don't think Tkachev is this high on the depth chart. In all likelihood, he will fight for the depth spot. Too young, too skinny.

Tolchinsky I think should be on this team and on one of the top lines.

Yakimov is probably the strongest center, unless Grigorenko is on the team (very possible).

I wouldn't have Kuptsov there. Has anyone seen him play this year?

Busarov, Bereglazov appear to be likely inclusions due to recent reviews.

Would not be shocked if Zykov is left off.

Vasiliev, Koryagin, Lyubushkin, Ogurtsov also to be considered for the blueline.

Last edited by Fantomas: 11-29-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old
11-30-2013, 06:06 PM
cska78

Quote:

Golyshev -Osnovin-Zykov
Rudenkov

Mironov-Zadorov
Tryamkin -Yudin
Koledov-Bereglazov
Rafikov

Vasilevski
Nalimov
Sorokin
Yudin? I am not so sure about him making the team
Kuptsov/Tkachiov/Golyshev/Zykov/Rudenkov are all huge may be's.

Shiksatdarov/Busarov had a good showing, Tolchinskiy a must.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:10 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Yudin? I am not so sure about him making the team
Kuptsov/Tkachiov/Golyshev/Zykov/Rudenkov are all huge may be's.

Shiksatdarov/Busarov had a good showing, Tolchinskiy a must.
What makes Tolchinskiy a better choice than Tkachyov?

Old
11-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Even if it's the couple of pounds more.

But seriously, Tolchinsky has at the very least the same talent Tkachyov posesses AND Tolchinsky is no prima donna unlike Mr.I deseve a spot in the KHL Tkachyov.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:40 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Even if it's the couple of pounds more.

But seriously, Tolchinsky has at the very least the same talent Tkachyov posesses AND Tolchinsky is no prima donna unlike Mr.I deseve a spot in the KHL Tkachyov.
Ok so attitude then?

Old
12-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Caser
@RUSProspects

Quote:
Ok so attitude then?
Also, Tolchinsky is one of the top OHL scorers this season + he is half year older and 30lbs/15kg stronger.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Fantomas

I'd rather see Goldobin than Tkachev. Tkachev can wait another year.

Old
12-01-2013, 03:41 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
Also, Tolchinsky is one of the top OHL scorers this season + he is half year older and 30lbs/15kg stronger.
Is Tkachyov really under 140 lbs.....

Regardless he is very shifty and on big ice size and strength are less of a factor.

Old
12-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Is Tkachyov really under 140 lbs.....

Regardless he is very shifty and on big ice size and strength are less of a factor.
I've been thinking about this too. I think he was listed at 150 lbs somewhere.
Anyway, this kid's trademark seem to be those solo goals dangling through the defense and putting the puck in the back of the net. Fun player to watch.

Yet, I like Tolchinsky's game more. Hopefully he will be in the team. Nothing against Tkachyov - but both of them hardly will make it?

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 04:02 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
I've been thinking about this too. I think he was listed at 150 lbs somewhere.
Anyway, this kid's trademark seem to be those solo goals dangling through the defense and putting the puck in the back of the net. Fun player to watch.

Yet, I like Tolchinsky's game more. Hopefully he will be in the team. Nothing against Tkachyov - but both of them hardly will make it?
He reminds me of Kucherov a lot tbh. 150 seems more realistic tho I saw 6'0 181 somewhere the guys measuring/weighing must have been drunk...Regarding Tolchinskiy every time I've seen him on big ice he looked dynamite whether on the National team or clips from him on CSKA youth team.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:54 AM
cska78

Quote:
Tolchinskiy has proved to be successful in MHL/OHL. Tkachyov is not doing so great just yet. Even though Tolchinskiy disappointed a little in game two against the OHL

Old
12-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Aceonfire*

Why are people leaving Goldobin off? I think on the larger ice his size won't be a huge disadvantage.

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote