HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

how does skate size affect how you can skate?

Old
11-29-2013, 01:29 PM
JZCislesHockey

vCash: 500
how does skate size affect how you can skate?

My power skating instructor (Barbara Williams) thinks that my skates are too large. I have CCM U+12's in a 10.5, which I got a bit larger as my feet are still growing. She thinks I should go down to a 9.5 or 10. Will the little bit smaller make a difference in my skating abilities?

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 01:49 PM
sanityplease

How big are your shoes?

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 02:10 PM
JoeCool16

If your skates are too big for you, yes, it'll make a difference. I've worn what felt like a size up at a public skate before as a rental, and I could barely stay up. Your skates should be the best-fitting piece of equipment you have, next to your helmet! Could you maybe get a cheap pair to use during your lessons, and then switch back to these ones once you grow into them?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 02:30 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
How big are your shoes?
Why is that relevant? There's no correlation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCislesHockey View Post
My power skating instructor (Barbara Williams) thinks that my skates are too large. I have CCM U+12's in a 10.5, which I got a bit larger as my feet are still growing. She thinks I should go down to a 9.5 or 10. Will the little bit smaller make a difference in my skating abilities?
This is always a difficult scenario as it's very very costly to buy new skates every few months as your feet grow, especially if you hit growth spurts.

The best thing from a performance as well as value standpoint is for you to be fitted properly by a store given that you will be growing. They should be able to put you in a size that's bigger than your true size now, but not too big as to impact comfort and performance.

Why did she say that the skate size might be hampering you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
If your skates are too big for you, yes, it'll make a difference. I've worn what felt like a size up at a public skate before as a rental, and I could barely stay up. Your skates should be the best-fitting piece of equipment you have, next to your helmet! Could you maybe get a cheap pair to use during your lessons, and then switch back to these ones once you grow into them?
Well, that could be due to the poor quality of the rental, not necessarily the skate size. While skate fit is paramount, you need to consider the fact that parents cannot and do not want to spend on skates every few months. Everyone needs to find a happy medium.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 02:45 PM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

This is always a difficult scenario as it's very very costly to buy new skates every few months as your feet grow, especially if you hit growth spurts.

The best thing from a performance as well as value standpoint is for you to be fitted properly by a store given that you will be growing. They should be able to put you in a size that's bigger than your true size now, but not too big as to impact comfort and performance.

Well, that could be due to the poor quality of the rental, not necessarily the skate size. While skate fit is paramount, you need to consider the fact that parents cannot and do not want to spend on skates every few months. Everyone needs to find a happy medium.
She thinks it hampers me due to speed, edge ability and so forth. Thinking I'm going to get a smaller pair of 12's, with the hockeymonkey sale, and then go back into the 10.5s when I grow some more. I love those skates

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 03:25 PM
AIREAYE

Going to a smaller size and smaller holder/runner should help with where your weight is being distributed.

Old
11-29-2013, 04:25 PM
vapor11

Quote:

I seem to have conflicting opinions with you on a lot of things AIREAYE.. Not just this topic

His shoe size is relevant.. Not saying he shouldn't be properly fitted for skates

And all the points your instructor made are correct.. You won't be able to stand on your toes in skates too large.. Not that you do it often but you should be able too

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 04:56 PM
sanityplease

Quote:

It might indicate a problem. If they wear size 10.5 shoes & purchased the same size of skate not understanding the difference in sizing, it would be a pretty good clue. Or maybe they wear size 9 shoe & bought larger skates which they hope to 'grow' into. I've seen it happen MANY times. Most of the poor fits that I've seen are skaters wearing long, standard width skates, where they should be wearing a shorter, wider skate that fits their foot type.

We simply can't assume that everyone with an issue has been fitted properly for the skates they wear.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
It might indicate a problem. If they wear size 10.5 shoes & purchased the same size of skate not understanding the difference in sizing, it would be a pretty good clue. Or maybe they wear size 9 shoe & bought larger skates which they hope to 'grow' into. I've seen it happen MANY times. Most of the poor fits that I've seen are skaters wearing long, standard width skates, where they should be wearing a shorter, wider skate that fits their foot type.

We simply can't assume that everyone with an issue has been fitted properly for the skates they wear.
Ahh I see what you're getting at, good point.

What I meant was that you shouldn't use your shoe size as a ruler for grabbing skate size.

Old
11-29-2013, 05:40 PM
CarpeNoctem
I Pity #26

A half size in length is NOT a big difference. A half size is only about 1/6th of an inch, however width really is important in my book. If your foot is loose or your heel is sliding around, you'll likely always have an issue skating. If the width is ok, a full size might make a difference but I doubt a half size will.

CarpeNoctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 05:40 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
A half size in length is NOT a big difference. A half size is only about 1/6th of an inch, however width really is important in my book. If your foot is loose or your heel is sliding around, you'll likely always have an issue skating. If the width is ok, a full size might make a difference but I doubt a half size will.
Great point.

Old
11-29-2013, 11:12 PM
vapor11

When I see younger guys skating at the rink I can't help but look at there skates and notice a lot are using skates way too large for them.. I am full grown 27 in a month 5'9 170lb and wear a size 9 shoe and 7.5D skate

I was guilty myself but I think the difference in shoe size and skate size is not common knowledge and alot of players are skating in clown shoes because they buy skates the size of there shoes

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote