HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
11-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Why would he imply that?

I thought Kavis was very calm, cool and collective.
Kavis was calm at the start of the game, but when there were important decisions to be made at crucial times, he was anything but calm, cool and collective. It looked like a Chinese fire drill on the sidelines some games. If it wasn't so bad and sad, it would be hilarious.

As for being animated during a game and showing passion, I have no problem with that. Different strokes for different folks, everyone is wired differently. As long as it doesn't impact the decision making, it's fine with me.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 10:49 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Any well rounded sports fan. One could ask the same thing about the oilers considering they have stunk, provided poor entertainment and have a tit useless front office.
Hence why I said this City. Doesn't matter who the Eskimos or Oilers hire at this point for me, they need to show results.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Stoneman89

I have a guarded good feeling about this hire. This is not some guy that was given the job because he used to play for us, or knows how the Eskimos used to be. He brings his own strengths and resume to the table, and that resume is quite formidable. I like how it wasn't mentioned during the presser, though. Humble, but aggressive. Not living in the past, but using those experiences to move forward.

I can't see any of the current coaches surviving his hire, least of all Marshall or Sams. That would be like the Oilers continuing with Bucky and Smith. Let's hope not.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 11:54 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I'm glad its Jones, I have wanting him for a couple of years. listened to his presser today, what refreshing change all around: tone, content, knowledge... He will also make Hervey's job easier, he was asst. GM in Toronto and is well connected with the colleges down south.

I haven't given much credit to Hervey, but this is a very good move and refreshing that a HC was hired because of his credentials and not who knows. also, can't see too many of the assistants sticking around, maybe Marshall, hopefully Leroy Blugh.
Well said.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 11:59 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who in their right mind has been waking up and thinking about Football the past 5 years or so?
I have. This is roughly my order:

1. My wife laying beside me, available.
2. My tasks for the day
3. Esks football
4. Peeing
5. Letting the dog out for peeing
6. Breakfast

Old
11-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Why would he imply that?

I thought Kavis was very calm, cool and collective.
lucky I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
When a deal isn't worth the money?

CFL is locked into the TSN deal for another 4 seasons.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle10053800/

What looked like a great deal turns out to be brutal.

lol at TSN as well overbidding for CFL and then subsequently losing the Canadian product that really matters. Heads should fall.

As I speculated in the Rogers thread TSN, and their partners, like the CFL, are going to be hit hard with being now locked out of the NHL (except for two regional markets). What this means is TSN will lose viewers, subscribers, draw, and CFL ratings can go nowhere but down. This in turn will impact TSN's recoup on the CFL deal as payout won't be the same for a lukewarm cable broadcaster that had achieved high market penetration which would now be on a clear downturn.
This will be a slippery slope for both businesses. This means far less CFL exposure, that all the traction they've gained in the marketplace now took one between the eyes.
CFL is really going to get caught in the crossfire on this, that part is unfortunate and I wonder if Cohen would have signed that deal knowing TSN was getting shutout of the only must have sports contract in Canada.

TSN ceased being significant cable channel this week and with that the CFL now has no significant carrier as coverage. I wonder if the CFL can backout given this probably unforeseen event. CFL would be better off with CBC and or going Snet route as well. Its possible that both the CFL and TSN might want to opt out of this deal. TSN might want to consider just folding imo.
I think you're overreacting big time in thinking TSN will wither and die without the NHL. They didn't have the NHL in the late 90's or early 2000's and survived just fine.

The CFL going with any network besides TSN would be monumentally stupid. They have the best production, the best analysts, the best presentation. Now that the CFL is their #1 property, I'd expect coverage of it to improve even though it's already well-covered by TSN. It draws huge ratings and is profitable to them, the fact that the NHL is no longer on TSN (there's only a 7 week overlap of seasons anyway) should have minimal effect on the CFL.

Nobody is going to be calling up their cable providers and cancelling TSN next fall. It's still the #1 default sports channel in Canada. Sportsnet's production and personnel are absolute bush league, and even though I'd expect them to start upgrading, it's not going to happen overnight. People will still watch SportsCenter for their nightly sports highlights, not Sportsnet Connected, which is about the quality of something I'd expect out of NAIT broadcasting students. For Shaw customers, which is most of western Canada, TSN is available on basic cable anyways so you can't cancel it unless you're doing away with cable entirely.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:06 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I think you're overreacting big time in thinking TSN will wither and die without the NHL. They didn't have the NHL in the late 90's or early 2000's and survived just fine.

The CFL going with any network besides TSN would be monumentally stupid. They have the best production, the best analysts, the best presentation. Now that the CFL is their #1 property, I'd expect coverage of it to improve even though it's already well-covered by TSN. It draws huge ratings and is profitable to them, the fact that the NHL is no longer on TSN (there's only a 7 week overlap of seasons anyway) should have minimal effect on the CFL.

Nobody is going to be calling up their cable providers and cancelling TSN next fall. It's still the #1 default sports channel in Canada. Sportsnet's production and personnel are absolute bush league, and even though I'd expect them to start upgrading, it's not going to happen overnight. People will still watch SportsCenter for their nightly sports highlights, not Sportsnet Connected, which is about the quality of something I'd expect out of NAIT broadcasting students. For Shaw customers, which is most of western Canada, TSN is available on basic cable anyways so you can't cancel it unless you're doing away with cable entirely.
I agree with this.

Lets also not forget that TSN built up the CFL product big time just like they did with the World Junior Hockey tournament.

They will rally around other products and develop them as well.

Losing the NHL is a blow to be sure but TSN isn't going anywhere despite Replacments wishful thinking.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Beerfish

MOAR curling!

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 02:13 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
MOAR curling!
What...you dont like Ron Burgandy?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post

I would never opt to pay for TSN. Can't stand american sports coverage, or toronto centric coverage. CFL the only thing on there and I wish it wasn't. I'd cancel TSN in an instant given the chance and as I stated CRTC, and customers are demanding change in the ability of consumers to select channels they want. TSN is all the stuff I don't care about. Its like talk radio except on the tube. I don't get my hockey analysis from TV or radio period. No interest in it either.

Give me the games like Snet will and I'm gold. Thats all I want, just televised hockey. Not programs about hockey which I never watch.

Of course my comments are predicated on changes which are coming to the cable universe where subcribers get to pick ala carte channels instead of packages. The cable channels have been fighing long and hard but a lot of them deserve to die.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-28-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:15 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
I would never opt to pay for TSN. Can't stand american sports coverage, or toronto centric coverage. CFL the only thing on there and I wish it wasn't. I'd cancel TSN in an instant given the chance and as I stated CRTC, and customers are demanding change in the ability of consumers to select channels they want. TSN is all the stuff I don't care about. Its like talk radio except on the tube. I don't get my hockey analysis from TV or radio period. No interest in it either.

Give me the games like Snet will and I'm gold. Thats all I want, just televised hockey. Not programs about hockey which I never watch.
thats fair enough... but this is only you.... those programs (draft day, trade deadline, season and playoff previews, thats hockey, etc) are very, very popular with the vast majority of hockey fans... you may cancel TSN if you were able, and there may be a few more like you, but the vast majority of us will end up keeping TSN

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
thats fair enough... but this is only you.... those programs (draft day, trade deadline, season and playoff previews, thats hockey, etc) are very, very popular with the vast majority of hockey fans... you may cancel TSN if you were able, and there may be a few more like you, but the vast majority of us will end up keeping TSN
For sure, I'm untypical.

tbh there isn't one sports program on TSN that I like. probably because I detest sports talk programming whether it be on TV or radio. I try to watch occasionally to see what the attraction is and just don' get it. I find the analysis, poor, simplistic, and uninteresting.

I just never got into in anyway. I get my facts online. I watch games. Thats it.

I think being an independent thinker I'm entirely averse to some media wag telling me what to think.

I'm the same way with news. Print, online, or get out. Anything that isn't source, root info has no value.

Same way with radio of any kind. Soon as the tunes stop and the talking starts I'm out of there.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:

Of course my comments are predicated on changes which are coming to the cable universe where subcribers get to pick ala carte channels instead of packages. The cable channels have been fighing long and hard but a lot of them deserve to die.
I have to say it surprises me you wouldn't considering you seem to be a close follower of the CFL.

You may be an exception, but I suspect the vast majority of CFL followers will make sure TSN stays available to them. TSN is basic cable anyway though unless Rogers themselves is your cable provider, but they're only a provider out east.

Don't want to drift too off topic, but the a la cart channel pricing that you sound excited about will prove to be very expensive now that Rogers has a total monopoly on NHL distribution in Canada. Prepare to pay high prices for each of the 8 different Sportsnet channels that Rogers will now spread Oiler games around on.

Old
11-29-2013, 01:15 PM
MoneyGuy

Anyone going to the dressing-room sale to scoop up something with which to mark this memorable season? It'll be busy; it always is.

Old
11-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Anyone going to the dressing-room sale to scoop up something with which to mark this memorable season? It'll be busy; it always is.
nah. they got enough of my money this year, and I've been too embarrassed to wear team gear from the esks and Oilers for several years now.

Old
11-29-2013, 02:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
They would raise way more money if it was a sale to burn everything and forget about the season.

Old
11-29-2013, 02:46 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
They would raise way more money if it was a sale to burn everything and forget about the season.
That would be a fire sale.

Old
11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
I like this

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:14 PM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 2h
#Eskimos sign SB Adarius Bowman to a 2-year contract extension. #CFL #yeg

Old
12-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Wasn't there someone in here pinning the Esks woes on Adarius Bowman?

Good signing. Hell of a receiver and always racks up YAC's.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Excellent move, very happy about this.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Kyle McMahon

Good signing, top flight receiver locked up for two more years. I guess that one guy will be disappointed, good news for everyone else though.

Old
12-02-2013, 04:27 PM
joestevens29

Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 2h
Eskimos announcement of Bowman signing is not news. His name wasn't on CFL free agent list. Along with Sewell, has been done for some time

Old
12-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
yes!!!!