HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McGuire on Price

Old
01-02-2007, 08:45 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
McGuire on Price

On Saskatoon radio CKOM Pierre was interviewed and he said that Price's play was "outstanding." I guess that the book isnt out on Carey.

Last edited by toshiro: 01-02-2007 at 09:17 AM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 09:16 AM
BLONG7

Hey guys, remember draft day 2005...when the Habs took Price, Peter Mcguire says, that is a HUGE error in judgement on behalf of the Montreal Canadiens...take what Peter says with a grain of salt, he blows with the wind...he flip flops more than Andre Racicot...Personally, I think Price was, and still is an excellent pick, but with goalies, it always seems hard to tell until they play 25-30 games in the NHL...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 09:35 AM
HABit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
it always seems hard to tell until they play 25-30 games in the NHL...
That's still not enough...anyone remember a Calder trophy winner by the name of Raycroft?

Or what about a Vezina and Hart trophy winner by the name of Theodore?

HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 10:17 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABit View Post
That's still not enough...anyone remember a Calder trophy winner by the name of Raycroft?

Or Jim Carey.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Marco Corleone

Price is going to be a decent goaltender. Just need to give the kid some time to develop. Spend some time in the AHL, and dont let the kid sit on the bench in "the show".

Price will be the Habs starter in a few years.

Patience.

Marco Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Price will not be a flop. The way he is built makes it pretty hard.

He's big, unlike any of the aforementioned goaltenders. He's positionally sound. He has great pads, glove hand, and is quick. He also has a calm demeanor.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Teufelsdreck

If the nets are enlarged, Price's value will increase because of his size.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I really think we have one of the best goalie prospects around if not the best. He's got everything a team wants in a goalie and he's also very calm on the ice and that's good for his team.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Not to mention he can play the puck VERY WELL.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 12:48 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABit View Post

good points...definitely a wait and see with goalies, but it sure seems Price is the real deal...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Duster

Agreed. One can never be really sure when it comes to goalies. I do think McGuire is trying to restore his credibility when it comes to Price. He was wrong and he simply won't admit it, imo. He is saying Price has improved "a lot". The stuff about rebounds and being square to the shooter is nonsense. Price has always played that way and, even this year, he still lets in the occasional bad goal. Perhaps the real improvement is that Price, at last, is playing behind a decent defense that clears away the puck and doesn't let opposition forwards skate right in, as opposed to what he has in Tri-City.

I'm pretty certain the rhetoric could have gone the other way if Price would have let in an easy one against the Swedes or the U.S.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Le depisteur

Price = God

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 02:06 PM
turnbuckle*

What bothers me is Pierre talking about how much better he is this year, that he had an absolutely horrible camp in Calgary last year.

By most accounts, Price was the second best goalie at last year's camp, but Sutter decided to go with the 19-year-old in Dubnyk. Many figured he was penalized for choosing not to practice the last day, and that is why he was cut, not because he was the worst goalie.

Even if he had been the worst goalie at last year's camp, you should probably watch a few of the goalie's junior games before pronouncing that Price was horrible last year merely because he had some struggles during a 4-day training camp. As someone else pointed out, McGuire's criticisms of his rebounds and being square to the shooter were nonsense; he always had incredible rebound control and solid positioning.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 05:00 PM
bipolarhabfan

Price has not miraculously gotten better over the past year. He was always this good. I went to see him play against the Giants a couple of seasons ago and he was "outstanding" in that game. What really impressed me the most was his calmness, puck-handling abilities, and his rebound control. He is the premier goalie prospect under the age of 21, IMHO.

I was quite angry when the Habs decided to draft Price that high when they had a chance at the likes of Kopitar and Brule to choose from. However, as time goes by, I am starting to like this pick more and more. Huet's play this year and Ward's play last year in the playoffs indicate that good goaltending is fundamental to a team's success. In the past 25 years or so, I can only think of one Stanley Cup winner that did not rely on good goaltending to win the Cup, which were the Detroit Red Wings when they won with Chris Osgood in net.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Hmmm. Last year, McGuire defended Theodore during some horrid starts, saying he must be injured because Jose's not capable of playing that poorly.

Then he went on to call Huet a flash in the pan. Said he went down to early and the shooters will know to go top shelf.

Now he raves about how technically sound Price is.

My friends, this is the McGuire kiss of death!

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 05:24 PM
JrHockeyFan

One thing for sure

After listening to some of the backround info on Price, his work ethic must be pretty darn good. How many Minor hockey players travel 7 hours for each away game.

His dad eventually bought a plane. Life must be good in the Price family to own and operate a Cessna.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 05:44 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
After listening to some of the backround info on Price, his work ethic must be pretty darn good. How many Minor hockey players travel 7 hours for each away game.

His dad eventually bought a plane. Life must be good in the Price family to own and operate a Cessna.
It wasn't a Cessna jet, it was a $13,000 twin engine Cherokee. Im impressed he'de fly in it to begin with!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't mind Price but dammit I wish we would have gotten the third pick and get Jack Johnson. That would have been fantastic. The Habs' own Phaneuf.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:13 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't mind Price but dammit I wish we would have gotten the third pick and get Jack Johnson. That would have been fantastic. The Habs' own Phaneuf.
I don't mind Price but dammit I wish we would have gotten the first pick and get Sidney Crosby. That would have been fantastic. The Habs' own Crosby

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
I dunno, after watching the Can-Us game I'd rather have Price right now.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
I don't mind Price but dammit I wish we would have gotten the first pick and get Sidney Crosby. That would have been fantastic. The Habs' own Crosby

you're sooo obvious!

Problem was the first four picks were stellar and we got the fifth! The Habs had horrible bad luck that night.

Old
01-02-2007, 06:22 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
you're sooo obvious!

Problem was the first four picks were stellar and we got the fifth! The Habs had horrible bad luck that night.
Yeah, might as well have picked 30th

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:23 PM
antidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
What bothers me is Pierre talking about how much better he is this year, that he had an absolutely horrible camp in Calgary last year.
Price had a good camp last season . They returned him because he didn't show his face to an optional practice the day he was in the net , like he was always doing in the juniors , the day of a game . Sutter didn't like it .

antidot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Tusk

Quote:
If we picked 4th I would still want Price over Pouliot, I'm still waiting for this Pouliot to be stellar.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I would still pick Pouliot personaly. It's always a risky thing to pick a goalie so high on the first round. Because it takes more time for a goalie to develop and you can always find one that hasn't emerged and become a solid player for your team. There's not a lot of bad goalies these days. So to me it's a waste to put so much value in drafting one where you can get one anywhere at any time and the guy will do a good job. Unless it's a super-elite guy in the category of Roy/Brodeur but that's shear luck and you can't base your futur on that philosophy.