HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/17)

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2013, 12:20 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
How is McIlrath's shot, passing, and outlet passing?

Good. Getting better. Getting better.

Old
11-26-2013, 03:10 AM
Ola

Quote:
How is McIlrath's shot, passing, and outlet passing?
Athletically and talent wise, he is just fine for sure. This is easy to forget about McI. He is what, 21 y/o? 4 of his last 5 years he has played in the WHL. In that league, he was a nr 3 D that played a balanced 2-way game. He was definitely more offensiveminded in the WHL than Marc Staal is in the NHL.

His biggest adjustment is not to pass the puck or get involved offensively in the NHL. His biggest adjustment is to learn how to become an elite stay-at-home D. He never played that style before last year.

You can play defensive hockey in many diffrent ways. One way is to just back down into your own end, stay between the puck and the net. You enable the forward to enter the attacking zone, cut into the middle, pass the puck to trailers etc, but you make sure that you aren't beaten. Or you can stay on top of your forward, keep the perfect gap so that the forward never gets any room etc. We want to keep McI in the AHL so he can learn the later and not instantly become the former type.

We saw this very well when McI played in Traverse two seasons ago and then in the NHL pre-season. In Traverse, he was a top 4 D and tried to play the later style. He was exposed at that level. Wasn't good at all. Then he came to the NHL, played in a 6th D role, and played the former style, and he did alright for sure. If we got McI to the NHL today, there is a risk he would turn into that prototypical 6th D type. He has ability to become a little more than that. But the adjustment he must make is mostly defensively.

Old
11-26-2013, 03:13 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Right now, probably not. Age difference right now is too great. In the future? Maybe. McIlrath is a monster for sure but Lucic is one of the best fighters in the league. I am sure we will see it eventually.
Lucic is a dangerous fighter to go up against. He is good at finding ways to deliver devastating blows.

But Prust could fight Lucic. Shanahan could fight a Brasher. I am sure McI could fight Lucic if he just hanged on and kept it safe. I would be a bit nervous though if McI opened things up to try to beat Lucic, because he can find his ways to knock you out in a hurry.

Old
11-26-2013, 08:47 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Athletically and talent wise, he is just fine for sure. This is easy to forget about McI. He is what, 21 y/o? 4 of his last 5 years he has played in the WHL. In that league, he was a nr 3 D that played a balanced 2-way game. He was definitely more offensiveminded in the WHL than Marc Staal is in the NHL.

His biggest adjustment is not to pass the puck or get involved offensively in the NHL. His biggest adjustment is to learn how to become an elite stay-at-home D. He never played that style before last year.

You can play defensive hockey in many diffrent ways. One way is to just back down into your own end, stay between the puck and the net. You enable the forward to enter the attacking zone, cut into the middle, pass the puck to trailers etc, but you make sure that you aren't beaten. Or you can stay on top of your forward, keep the perfect gap so that the forward never gets any room etc. We want to keep McI in the AHL so he can learn the later and not instantly become the former type.

We saw this very well when McI played in Traverse two seasons ago and then in the NHL pre-season. In Traverse, he was a top 4 D and tried to play the later style. He was exposed at that level. Wasn't good at all. Then he came to the NHL, played in a 6th D role, and played the former style, and he did alright for sure. If we got McI to the NHL today, there is a risk he would turn into that prototypical 6th D type. He has ability to become a little more than that. But the adjustment he must make is mostly defensively.
What style is he playing in the AHL and is he good at it? Are you sure he can transition to the latter style?

Old
11-26-2013, 09:13 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

It may be debatable whether McIlrath could hold his own against Lucic...but he would pummel the vast majority of "tough guys" in the NHL. He is a good fighter.

I'm not trying to open up ANOTHER debate of what that's worth, just commenting on his ability. Very intimidating presence when he jumps in for a teammate. Our current favorite punching bag Derek Dorsett (who I like for the record) would get demolished by Mac. He could easily win decisions vs the Prusts, Clowes, etc of the league.

11-27-2013, 06:31 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
So, Scott Stajcer did not play last night for Greenville. I'm confused as to what the Rangers are doing with him. I get having Malcolm make starts in Hartford, but why send Stajcer down if he's not going to get a bunch of starts? Maybe it's because we "share" Greenville with Philadelphia and don't have complete control over the lineup choices, but I just don't get it.

In other Greenville news, Michael St. Croix has no points in his past 5 games and is -4. That's after he had the nice start of 2G/4A in his first 4 games. Nicholls is similarly struggling, with just 2G/2A in 15 games, and his -11 is second-worst on the club. Now, Greenville is **** offensively, with only 35 goals in 18 games, but those two failing to do anything doesn't help; nor does it bode well for their future professional chances.

Noreau is doing okay, I guess. No points in 15 games, but he's only a -1. He's a defensive defenseman, so the lack of points is no big deal. I don't have access to Greenville games so I can't speak to his defensive play.

Jason Wilson has 5 points in 13 games in the CHL. He's not a prospect.

It's just pain.
Old
11-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Yeah Nicholls has been scratched off my own personal to-watch list. My respect for the Canadian Juniors drops every year. A lot of scrub players have been putting up amazing numbers in those leagues.

Old
11-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Yeah Nicholls has been scratched off my own personal to-watch list. My respect for the Canadian Juniors drops every year. A lot of scrub players have been putting up amazing numbers in those leagues.
it happens so many times.. Bob Sanguinetti was a scorer at the junior levels. look where he is now in the KHL.. another one of those 1st round busts

Old
11-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The best players still come from the CHL but the drop off is significant and filled by the NCAA players now.

Old
11-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Lucic is a dangerous fighter to go up against. He is good at finding ways to deliver devastating blows.

But Prust could fight Lucic. Shanahan could fight a Brasher. I am sure McI could fight Lucic if he just hanged on and kept it safe. I would be a bit nervous though if McI opened things up to try to beat Lucic, because he can find his ways to knock you out in a hurry.
Lucic is a very good fighter. I'll give him that. But he isn't known as a heavy handed KO type of fighter. In fact 56 NHL fights Lucic doesn't have 1 single KO. It's not like we're talking about Joey Kocur here who by that time in his career already left opposing players limp on the ice on numerous occasions.

Lucic only had one true TKO over Carkner. A player who had 3 concussions in as many seasons. Two from Orr.

Big Mac will be fine. He's fought more dangerous guys already at the AHL level.

Old
11-28-2013, 01:00 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Lucic is a very good fighter. I'll give him that. But he isn't known as a heavy handed KO type of fighter. In fact 56 NHL fights Lucic doesn't have 1 single KO. It's not like we're talking about Joey Kocur here who by that time in his career already left opposing players limp on the ice on numerous occasions.

Lucic only had one true TKO over Carkner. A player who had 3 concussions in as many seasons. Two from Orr.

Yup. Not quite sure what the infatuation is with Lucic. He's a strong son of a *****, but McIlrath can definitely handle him.

Old
11-28-2013, 02:04 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

Good points and I am sure you know this better than me.

The one thing that scared me is that McI seems to open up it times. But it's true that he fought some nasty guys in the NHL.

Old
11-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Some of the guys McIlrath has fought would be some of the top NHL goons. That's what I like about the kid, his fighting skill (while still not fully developed) puts him above almost everyone in the NHL (save for some really big goons). We have answers for guys like Lucic when he comes up finally, not many teams can say they do.

There's nothing Lucic hates more than getting cleanly hit.

Old
11-28-2013, 11:12 AM
SnowblindNYR

People obsess way too much over the least important aspect of hockey (fighting).

Old
11-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Not really, it's just an interesting discussion.

McIlrath's intimidation can do wonders for this team, although Hank has really not been run much this year.

Old
11-28-2013, 11:39 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Not really, it's just an interesting discussion.

McIlrath's intimidation can do wonders for this team, although Hank has really not been run much this year.
I think a more interesting discussion is how good he is at things that actually matter.

Old
11-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Quote:
I think a more interesting discussion is how good he is at things that actually matter.
That's been discussed this whole thread.

Old
11-28-2013, 11:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Cool, then ignore this discussion!

The other aspects of his game have been discussed for pages and pages in this thread.

Old
11-28-2013, 02:24 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
The Rangers are very good at that, drafting players that are unique. The closest (and that's a stretch) comparison to Kreider is Ovechkin. Hagelin there isn't much comparison to. Hank is the most unique tender in the NHL. Callahan is just weird, scores plenty but can't play with skill guys. McIlrath fits this mold too, very few guys hit like a truck AND can skate. Guys like Orpik are hard to find, but guys that are Orpik on steroids are almost impossible to find (until they pull a Doug Murray and become slugs overnight). I really like what we have in this kid.
This is exactly what I have always thought about McI. I think the Rangers would have done well to draft Fowler, like a lot of people, but I've never been disappointed by the McI pick, because there's just no-one else out there like him.

The closest player any of us can think of to Dylan McI is Beukeboom, and we have another thread going on describing how pairing with Beuk allowed Leetch to shine (and yes, I'm thinking of what he could do alongside McD, but also with Staal, perhaps). And then everyone who's watched McI play (and I note that most of his detractors don't seem to have done so) says that McI is more mobile and meaner than Beuk. This adds up to the Rangers' most intriguing prospect, in my opinion.

Old
11-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

It didn't make much sense to draft Fowler at the time because DZ just had a stellar rookie year at the age of 19.

McIlrath can skate circles around Beuk. He also enjoys causing pain and havoc, his mean streak is quite unmatched in the NHL. He will terrorize this league for years, more than Beuk did.

Old
11-28-2013, 03:06 PM
RangersHank*

McIlrath can fight, yes!!!!

Old
11-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Brian Boyle
Some Might Say

The people that act as if McIlrath can only fight are just as bad as the people who shove his fighting down other's throats.

11-28-2013, 06:58 PM
RangersHank*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
The people that act as if McIlrath can only fight are just as bad as the people who shove his fighting down other's throats.

Eh, i just wanna see him at the NHL level. I'm not too worried about his caree before the pros, it doesnt mean anything really

Old
11-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Literally the best thing about McIlrath is that he doesn't waste any time in jumping in for a teammate or dropping his gloves. I've seen on numerous occasions where there is a scrum in front of his net and he starts pounding a guy before the other guy realizes what is going on. People will call it cheap or whatever but you can guarantee those players don't hang out in the crease as much from then on.

Old
11-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Tambellini was active tonight with an assist, but his team got steamrolled by Greg Carey and the Saints.

Closed Thread