HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Stizzle

vCash: 500
I watched the 2nd WHL/Russia game and thought Leier had another strong effort. He may have earned himself an invite to WJC camp. He did take a shot off the back of his leg really late and left the game, though.

Old
11-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I was thinking draft wise, go winger first two rounds maybe? We're rather shallow depth wise in both the Flyers and with our prospects
No, you should always go best player available.

It's better to have go for the safer pick than a reach. If you end up having depth at a position later, you can trade some pieces to help fill in a hole

Old
11-28-2013, 11:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

It's better to have go for the safer pick than a reach. If you end up having depth at a position later, you can trade some pieces to help fill in a hole
Agreed, a winger could very well end up being our pick seeing as there's a lot of them projected as going in the first round right now though.

Old
11-29-2013, 12:06 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

On the other end say for instance if they think its even between a winger and defender im hoping they go winger. Extremely weak there

Old
11-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Both of the goals he was on the ice for were not a direct result of his play. The second goal was just a horrible goal given up by the goalie and the first the defensive partner lost his area and someone snuck in back door.

He had the primary assist on the tying goal, which was a nice pass.

That was just what I concluded from watching the highlights.
I too thought he had a good game. I firmly believe that Sam's game will be more suited for the NHL. He has that make up about him. He looks like he will be a very good pro. Once all the pieces are put together he will be fine. He is a big boy and needs to grow into that large frame of his. I never said he was the next coming of Bobby Orr, just a good steady NHL defenseman.

Old
11-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
Leier was impressive, in my opinion as well. He played even-strength, penalty-kill and powerplay all night. He scored a beautiful shorthanded goal on the backhand, after he broke away and got the goaltender moving laterally. Most noticeable was his speed.

He was out late in the game for the final ninety seconds, and appeared to tie the game - but was disallowed because of 'intent to blow the whistle'.

His team is coached by Brent Sutter - Team Canada WJHC coach. Likely a longshot to make the team, but his performance bodes well in any case. He was also named Team WHL MVP.
Nice to see this young man improving year to year. You just never know how a 17 or 18 year old will turn out in three or four years will they are selected after the second round. This team still needs in my opinion a speedy scoring winger.

Old
11-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I was thinking draft wise, go winger first two rounds maybe? We're rather shallow depth wise in both the Flyers and with our prospects
Maybe I'm being overly sentimental but I really want to draft Kapanens kid this year. He looks like what we need right now. Solid two way winger with a good scoring touch.

Old
11-29-2013, 08:09 PM
KasparsHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
Does Ghost remind anyone else of Letang a bit?
He reminds me more of an Eric Karlsson with his build, he's not short, he's over 6' but he's like a buck sixty weight wise. So he's quick and smooth, but I worry about injury, with that weight. If he plays with a big dude like Shenn then he'd be able to really help create some offense.

Rumors are flying around here that he's done with Union after this year.

Last edited by KasparsHipCheck: 11-29-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old
11-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasparsHipCheck View Post
He reminds me more of an Eric Karlsson with his build, he's not short, he's over 6' but he's like a buck sixty weight wise. So he's quick and smooth, but I worry about injury, with that weight. If he plays with a big dude like Shenn then he'd be able to really help create some offense.

Rumors are flying around here that he's done with Union after this year.
It's would be nice if he came out and played some for the Phantoms this year. Imagine if the Phantoms made the playoffs and added Gostibehere, Leier, and Laughton to the roster. Maybe even trevor van riemsdyk too.

Old
11-29-2013, 09:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

i would rather see Ghost stay at Union for at least another season. Just so there isnt the temptation to rush him up. He still needs to gain some weight. Also there is going to be an adjustment period for the pro game.

Old
11-29-2013, 09:17 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
i would rather see Ghost stay at Union for at least another season. Just so there isnt the temptation to rush him up. He still needs to gain some weight. Also there is going to be an adjustment period for the pro game.
I kind of agree, but if he finishes the season in Hobey contention there's almost no chance that they don't sign him.

Old
11-29-2013, 09:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I kind of agree, but if he finishes the season in Hobey contention there's almost no chance that they don't sign him.
yeah you are probably right. even tho I wouldnt agree with it.

Old
11-29-2013, 11:06 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
yeah you are probably right. even tho I wouldnt agree with it.
I dont know if it would be that bad of a idea to go to the AHL. I do agree he needs to add weight but he will be 21 which is a good age to go into the AHL. He starting to really seperate himself in the college leagues. If he shows he is too good for it, even if he needs weight, time in the AHL at 21 isnt that bad.

Old
11-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I dont know if it would be that bad of a idea to go to the AHL. I do agree he needs to add weight but he will be 21 which is a good age to go into the AHL. He starting to really seperate himself in the college leagues. If he shows he is too good for it, even if he needs weight, time in the AHL at 21 isnt that bad.
If adding weight is the principle concern, Adirondack offers him infinitely more opportunity to add it. At the pro level, I cannot imagine that the training facilities, training staff, nutritionists, etc aren't more advanced than Union College's. Furthermore, while I understand what college athletics mean in terms of school/sport balance, a 100% dedication to sport can help in the training area.

Now, if there is development that can occur in the quality of his longterm game, I'm all for his staying at Union. If there's minimal gain from a quality of competition or development of skill perspective, I believe weight training can better be facilitated at the pro level even if it means a full season in Adirondack.

Old
11-30-2013, 12:47 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I'm not concerned with him turning pro after this year at all. The recent trend for the Flyers & their prospects have been kind of a slower approach in regards to development. Scott Laughton is a good example of that IMO.

Old
11-30-2013, 01:20 AM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

Ghost seemed pretty committed to finishing his four years at Union. I would like to see him go play in the AHL next season, but I agree that the Flyers have benefitted from taking a more prolonged approach with their prospects. So, whatever helps his development the most should be the plan rather than the Flyers needs being the #1 concern.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:33 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
If adding weight is the principle concern, Adirondack offers him infinitely more opportunity to add it. At the pro level, I cannot imagine that the training facilities, training staff, nutritionists, etc aren't more advanced than Union College's. Furthermore, while I understand what college athletics mean in terms of school/sport balance, a 100% dedication to sport can help in the training area.
People don't realize this. It's not like he's been packing on the pounds at Union either.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:35 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Absolutely no reason why it would be detrimental for ghost to be in the ahl next year. The notion that union college is going to better prepare him for the nhl than the ahl at this point is simply wrong.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:36 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Hagg scored his first goal of the year this morning.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hagg scored his first goal of the year this morning.
I'll post a link to the highlights when they are uploaded.

He is one of only 3 D men on their team to have played every game now as well. (though that is as guys have been injured and traded, but still good.) He is pretty much their #5-6 now as he has Cumiskey, Reghr, Hedman and Torp ahead of him, and Loov is getting similar minutes.

I am surprised he has not been given more games as a #4, as Torp has been unimpressive in each game I have seen... the other three are really pretty good for the SHL though, Hedman just does not let people beat him and ofc Reghr and Cumisky move the puck and are good on the PP... Cumiskey cannot play D even at the SHL level though, Hagg looks better than him defensively already.

Hagg and de la Rose are also the only two u-19 year olds to have played every game so far in the SHL. Wallmark is the only other who has played 20+.

Last edited by Appleyard: 11-30-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old
11-30-2013, 01:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I was just looking over this years draft rankings & most of the defensemen projected to go in the first round are right handed which is good for us if the Flyers elect to take a defensemen.

I did this because I was looking over our recent defensemen picks & most of them are lefties even the lesser picks which was kind of interesting to me.

Old
11-30-2013, 04:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
The fact that they didn't sign him is a sign they're being conservative with him, if anything.

Old
11-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Akanon

Oshawa leads Saginaw 4-0 after the first period. Laughton 1+2 so far.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Oshawa leads Saginaw 4-0 after the first period. Laughton 1+2 so far.
He is quickly catching up to the Kitchener Rangers goal total with his points total. ;p

Old
11-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

Now, if there is development that can occur in the quality of his longterm game, I'm all for his staying at Union. If there's minimal gain from a quality of competition or development of skill perspective, I believe weight training can better be facilitated at the pro level even if it means a full season in Adirondack.
First, a skinny kid like Ghost is only going to gain so much weight so quickly as he fills out. He probably won't get his man build until he's 24.

I disagree with your premise re: weights, nutrition. You can't do much better than a top athletic program at college, vs. a trainer in the AHL.

More importantly, the reason all players at the NHL level lose weight and muscle mass during the season is that there is no time to lift, and you're too tired from playing so many games to do any real lifting in between. The sophistication might be there, but not the time or the energy.

That said, hockey competition is more important than weightlifting. If he really is the best player in college hockey, as the opposition coach recently said, he might be ready for the next step. But if he decides to play another year at Union, it won't be problem for me.

He's going to be an NHL player in the next couple years so patience is in order.

Closed Thread