*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2013, 06:41 AM
mouse 29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
Can't see Barrie going after an enforcer. For one, I don't think a lot of team's have one available and if they do Barrie will want that can play top 6 forward.

That will be hard to come by when Oshawa, Kingston, Erie & Guelph are all looking for the same type of player.

A player along the lines of an Anderson for London. Can chip in a few points and hard to play against.
I would tend to agree I don't think they will as that is not DH's style. However there have been a few floated around this year already- Leroux, Thompson, Genovesse, etc.

Actually if you can belief the rumor mill of a possible trade between Kitchener and Barrie, having Leroux thrown in would not be such a bad idea. However that would mean one of our overagers would have to go. Take your pick Hall or Theoret??

Having a couple of players like Leroux and Masskant in your lineup, will make a big differnce come playoff time. Think back to 2012 when Missy simple beat us up and then we had Ottawa 3-1. Ottawa turned up the physical play and we had no answer. If I remember correctly that last game we only had 11 players dressed??
Then last year up again 3-1 on London, and what did London do, upped the physical play so that we had to play a 7th game with no Camara, no Shieffle, and a crippled Hall.
Don't get me wrong I like the makeup of this team, and I emphasize the word team, but we need more toughness if we want to avoid another year of being beaten up in the playoffs. I think that is even more important this year than in the past, and a line up that includes a Paxton Leroux and a Liam Masskant would certainly change how teams play against us.
Think back to the OS game when Kriess got hammered into the boards from behind, Brown jumping Lemieux, the hit on Labanc, and how many times have we seen other teams run rough shod over Hall and AA. Teams are getting away with doing this because they know we have no answer.

If we are not going to acquire a physical presence than perhaps we need to acquire size and skill - Nasty and Bigras from OS. Either way Barrie is going to need to get, bigger, stronger, and more physical.

Here's hoping they can.

Old
11-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Greatger

mouse 29
From what I could tell, Barrie played "North Bay" on Saturday. At least that's the game I watched.

Old
11-25-2013, 08:08 AM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatger View Post
mouse 29
From what I could tell, Barrie played "North Bay" on Saturday. At least that's the game I watched.
Sorry you lost me here?? not sure what your comment is??

Old
11-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Johnsb

Ideally they would get someone that could play in the top 6. Not sure Leroux or Thompson would play top 6.

Old
11-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

They like Thompson but he has turned down a trade to barrie in the past so we'll see...theres an OA in owen sound that would be perfect for this team, Kyle Hop can play top 6 fwd (ppg now) and lay in your D if there are injuries there...and he wouldnt cost a lot...bgiras and nastasiuk starts with kreiss, thats just stupid.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:28 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
They like Thompson but he has turned down a trade to barrie in the past so we'll see...theres an OA in owen sound that would be perfect for this team, Kyle Hop can play top 6 fwd (ppg now) and lay in your D if there are injuries there...and he wouldnt cost a lot...bgiras and nastasiuk starts with kreiss, thats just stupid.
Not sure which is more stupid - Strome for 3 months of PetroAngelo, Perlinin for Theoret, or Kriess (plus) for Nastasiuck/Bigras.

I am not advocating trading Kriess just pointing out, as you are aware, they have done it before.

Old
11-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Johnsb

Bigras isn't going to be moved. He will be back next year, then he will be moved.

Old
11-26-2013, 08:30 AM
mouse 29

Anybody else curious as to the decision process for team Canada and the Subway series. Rupert PLease!!!
I look at the line up that Team OHL had, plus given the fact that the WJR's this year are in Sweden (on the big ice surface), why wouldn't a player like AA with this skating and stick handling ability not even be considered? Somewhere alomg the line AA or his agent must have really p****ed off somebody.
28 pts this year (?)
6' 200lbs and speed to burn
can stick handle in a phone booth

sure sounds like someone I would want on my team heading over to Europe on the big ice surface.

Old
11-26-2013, 08:36 AM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
Anybody else curious as to the decision process for team Canada and the Subway series. Rupert PLease!!!
I look at the line up that Team OHL had, plus given the fact that the WJR's this year are in Sweden (on the big ice surface), why wouldn't a player like AA with this skating and stick handling ability not even be considered? Somewhere alomg the line AA or his agent must have really p****ed off somebody.
28 pts this year (?)
6' 200lbs and speed to burn
can stick handle in a phone booth

sure sounds like someone I would want on my team heading over to Europe on the big ice surface.
The Hunter's chose the team. That should answer the question. He wasn't used properly in London and AA wasn't happy about it. Hopefully he still gets a WJC camp invite.

Old
11-26-2013, 09:29 AM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
The Hunter's chose the team. That should answer the question. He wasn't used properly in London and AA wasn't happy about it. Hopefully he still gets a WJC camp invite.
maybe we should change the league name to LOHL - London Ontario Hockey League!!

I think it would be a travesty to not at least give him an invite.

I know with the level of talent to choose from it can be hard, but I was hoping that the Sutters would provide that stable influence, pick the best players, install a team mentality and not cow-down to the politics and the hype that comes with certain players.
I also hope that the ice surface is given a bigger importance this year and players are picked on their ability to play on the larger ice, skating, puck handling, shooting, passing, and a 200 ft game are going to be more important than playing a dump and chase game and crash the net style of game.

Anyway just my humble opinion!!

Old
11-26-2013, 11:49 AM
tjziel

Andreas Athanisiou is a great player and as a Knights fan I will be the first one to say it. There's no denying his skill and potential, however, being on a relatively stacked 2012 team, Hunter gave him top line duties, but during that time he was too inconsistent so he was relegated to 3rd and 4th line duties, where AA ultimately did want to embrace those duties. Some nights he would be invisible and some night he was light up the goal sheet (he often scored in bunch, which there nothing wrong with that). However, there was one element or area Hunter wanted him to embrace, and that was his physical play. He's 6'2 and 186 pounds (at the time), and was nowhere to be found when the puck was played along the boards. He couldn't develop a lot of chemistry with the team (whether that's attitude of thinking he was better than everyone else idk....) so he was often doing the "one man show", and that pissed Hunter off. All Hunter wanted him to do was, develop a two-way game, back-check, and keep a humble attitude, because no one likes a cocky guy who doesn't even perform well on the ice......If you're going be cocky, show it on the ice, EVERY NIGHT, and PUT IN THE EFFORT.

Now AA has probably matured so I see no reason why he shouldn't get an invite from my point of view. I would actually enjoy seeing him in a Team Canada uniform come Boxing Day......

Old
11-26-2013, 12:03 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Incorrect. The Hunters are new to Hockey Canada, and an entire staff picks the players that go to summer evaluation and camp and tourney. Mark is part of that process now but not the only one. Others werent impressed enough if he didnt get the summer invite. Nothing to do with Dale n Mark

And I wouldn't worry , Ryan is making the team Just as most of the OHL super series team won't.

AA not getting a look in the summer. I guess he hasn't impressed the scouting/management team enough. Well earned reputations take a while to get out from under, even after you turn it around ( and ill assume he has)
Is he still a def liability? Or does he now play 200ft? Honest ? As I don't see the Colts play. Just now what I saw in London and in the finals last year. Where he still had to work on his D play in all 3 zones.
Offensively gifted no doubt.
A trade both teams end up liking.

Old
11-26-2013, 12:17 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Incorrect. The Hunters are new to Hockey Canada, and an entire staff picks the players that go to summer evaluation and camp and tourney. Mark is part of that process now but not the only one. Others werent impressed enough if he didnt get the summer invite. Nothing to do with Dale n Mark
That's correct, I just heard sportsnet mention it last night. I guess I should know better and not listen to what sportsnet has to say.

Old
11-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Johnsb

Why would you think AA should be on Team Canada?

It's not like he is ripping up through the OHL this year. He play's every PP, every PK, and most nights he plays every 3rd if not every 2nd shift. 28pts +5.

He's a good player!

Old
11-26-2013, 03:44 PM
mouse 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
Why would you think AA should be on Team Canada?

It's not like he is ripping up through the OHL this year. He play's every PP, every PK, and most nights he plays every 3rd if not every 2nd shift. 28pts +5.

He's a good player!
GMAB I'm sorry but several of the players on the card last nite were there for posturing only. I just think it speaks volumes as to the state of hockey in our country when we don't put our best foot forward because of politics. I am not saying that those weren't are best players or most anyways, but when posturing becomes more important than putting your best foot forward than you get what you get.

Gold medal 2009

Old
11-26-2013, 04:11 PM
mouse 29

Quote:

And I wouldn't worry , Ryan is making the team Just as most of the OHL super series team won't.

AA not getting a look in the summer. I guess he hasn't impressed the scouting/management team enough. Well earned reputations take a while to get out from under, even after you turn it around ( and ill assume he has)
Is he still a def liability? Or does he now play 200ft? Honest ? As I don't see the Colts play. Just now what I saw in London and in the finals last year. Where he still had to work on his D play in all 3 zones.
Offensively gifted no doubt.
A trade both teams end up liking.
Regarding WJR's - posturing and politics, and I am sure I won't be the only fan to think that a certain player should be there or have been given the chance.

Anyway with regards to AA, his defensive game has come a long way. Is it were it should be. yes some nites. I think the biggest issue he has is staying on the ice too long and that affects his game defensively. Would he have been any worse than most of the players on the ice the other nite - I don't think so!
The biggest advantage AA has is his speed. Look at Anderson, take away his speed and skating ability, and what do you have? - another Leroux??
Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Anderson, but to think that AA could not have played and been a solid contributor to team OHL is just plain wrong. especially after watching them play. You know I guess that's an appropriate term play VS work!!!

When they woke up and decided to work they were good, unfortunately it wasn't enough or long enough.

Last edited by mouse 29: 11-26-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old
11-28-2013, 10:03 AM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Andreas Athanisiou is a great player and as a Knights fan I will be the first one to say it. There's no denying his skill and potential, however, being on a relatively stacked 2012 team, Hunter gave him top line duties, but during that time he was too inconsistent so he was relegated to 3rd and 4th line duties, where AA ultimately did want to embrace those duties. Some nights he would be invisible and some night he was light up the goal sheet (he often scored in bunch, which there nothing wrong with that). However, there was one element or area Hunter wanted him to embrace, and that was his physical play. He's 6'2 and 186 pounds (at the time), and was nowhere to be found when the puck was played along the boards. He couldn't develop a lot of chemistry with the team (whether that's attitude of thinking he was better than everyone else idk....) so he was often doing the "one man show", and that pissed Hunter off. All Hunter wanted him to do was, develop a two-way game, back-check, and keep a humble attitude, because no one likes a cocky guy who doesn't even perform well on the ice......If you're going be cocky, show it on the ice, EVERY NIGHT, and PUT IN THE EFFORT.

Now AA has probably matured so I see no reason why he shouldn't get an invite from my point of view. I would actually enjoy seeing him in a Team Canada uniform come Boxing Day......
Everyone knows the Hunters had it out for AA. Thankfully the Orrs got him out of London and over to Barrie. He should be on the team but won't as long as the Hunters are anywhere near the team selection. BTW- it seems he's good enough to sign a contract with that team down the road, THE DETROIT REDWINGS ! So London fans can keep bashing, but we can see what the Redwings see.

Old
11-28-2013, 08:39 PM
moose11

Anyone have advice on the best way to sell extra tickets I have for Erie @ Barrie on January 9th? I just had surgery last week and based on my recovery schedule, I won't be able to take a road trip from the states to Ontario in early January like planned.

It's two front row tickets in Section 129, Row 1. I paid $52 USD total and I'm looking to sell for that price so I come out even.

Does anyone have advice on a better place for me to post this around the internet? I listed on Kijiji as well. Obviously not familiar with any e-marketplace local to Barrie, so help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by moose11: 11-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old
11-28-2013, 10:38 PM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose11 View Post
Anyone have advice on the best way to sell extra tickets I have for Erie @ Barrie on January 9th? I just had surgery last week and based on my recovery schedule, I won't be able to take a road trip from the states to Ontario in early January like planned.

It's two front row tickets in Section 129, Row 1. I paid $52 USD total and I'm looking to sell for that price so I come out even.

Does anyone have advice on a better place for me to post this around the internet? I listed on Kijiji as well. Obviously not familiar with any e-marketplace local to Barrie, so help is appreciated. Thanks.
Kijiji is probably your best bet that I am aware of. Can't think of anyplace else.

Old
11-29-2013, 07:22 PM
mouse 29

Mmmmh Maaskant on forward, who would of thought???

Old
11-29-2013, 09:27 PM
mouse 29

All in all an entertaining game. However a little sloppy at times. The colts power play was slow tonite. Way too many blind passes and missed passes. Passes need to be crisp and tape to tape and make sure someone is there to get it.
The Colts need to have a few practices 100% dedicated to passing and shooting. They need to bring out the old plywood sheet and practice practice practice shooting at the corners instead of dead centre of the net so the goalie doesn't even have to move or miss the net by 10 ft.
Although that goal by AA - I still don't know how that found the back of the net.

Old
11-30-2013, 01:10 AM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse 29 View Post
All in all an entertaining game. However a little sloppy at times. The colts power play was slow tonite. Way too many blind passes and missed passes. Passes need to be crisp and tape to tape and make sure someone is there to get it.
The Colts need to have a few practices 100% dedicated to passing and shooting. They need to bring out the old plywood sheet and practice practice practice shooting at the corners instead of dead centre of the net so the goalie doesn't even have to move or miss the net by 10 ft.
Although that goal by AA - I still don't know how that found the back of the net.
Agree it was a good game against a very good Guelph team. Although if we are going to compete with a team like this through a 7 game series the colts will need some more depth up front. Theoret tonight in the lineup might have been a difference but he has been mysteriously out the last 2 games and I Havent heard any reasoning why.

Old
11-30-2013, 04:46 AM
aresknights

"Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Anderson, but to think that AA could not have played and been a solid contributor to team OHL is just plain wrong. especially after watching them play."

I never said he couldn't have contributed. On any given night he could be one of the most dynamic, effective players on the ice in any game.
I was only responding to the "Hunters didnt pick him" outta spite type comment, they didnt pick the summer evaluation team and the "group" didnt pick him for the super series.

Old
11-30-2013, 04:53 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
Everyone knows the Hunters had it out for AA. Thankfully the Orrs got him out of London and over to Barrie. He should be on the team but won't as long as the Hunters are anywhere near the team selection. BTW- it seems he's good enough to sign a contract with that team down the road, THE DETROIT REDWINGS ! So London fans can keep bashing, but we can see what the Redwings see.
I'm sure the Hunters wish AA would have bought in to what the were selling. There were issues here. In the room, off the ice and him buying into a system on ice. I'm not "bashing" or laying blame, just what it was. Mark n Dake didn't have it out for him, it just wasnt a good fit for many reasons. He got moved and it turned out for both. That's a good thing, no?
The fact he signed a contract really doesn't mean much as far as WR jrs. Lots of players sign ELC and don't play and vice versa.
Nobody is really bashing him here, althou if your familiar with the story I could see why some would.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:25 AM
mouse 29

Quote:
"Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Anderson, but to think that AA could not have played and been a solid contributor to team OHL is just plain wrong. especially after watching them play."

I never said he couldn't have contributed. On any given night he could be one of the most dynamic, effective players on the ice in any game.
I was only responding to the "Hunters didnt pick him" outta spite type comment, they didnt pick the summer evaluation team and the "group" didnt pick him for the super series.
Actually aresknights I never said anything about the Hunters, I realize that they really would not have all that much involvement. My comment was addressed more towards Hockey Canada and the politics involved in the decision making process. I think it has been pretty obvious especially over the last few years, that the way we operate with regards to the international competitions needs to change. My use of AA as an example was to emphasis a point and really was just that. Although I do believe he should have been given the opportunity.
Perhaps I should have used the decision to have Spot behind the bench and his use of capes on the player of the game.

Closed Thread