HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

vCash: 500
Today I picked up an Intermediate Bauer Vapor x70 for pretty cheap. I just wanted to try a lower flex stick. If I like it I'll invest in a more expensive one.

Old
11-30-2013, 01:02 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

Today I picked up CCM RBZ hossa curve playing tomorrow and Sunday also!

Old
11-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

After coming back from an injury Late August or so return), I've felt like I've been fighting the puck more than playing with it. I've tried different curves and flexes in my arsenal of sticks and haven't really been able to feel totally comfortable. Today I picked up a stick extension and lengthened two sticks by an inch (95 flex G3 pro stocks in a Sakic and Kreps curve stock Bauer length) in an effort to see if maybe I can get something going during a 5v5 no sub Ironman tourney. I previously played with a Sakic curve on a longer stick and liked it, but went shorter for better stick handling. I play a speed, power forward type game and starting losing some extra inches to protect the puck or use my long wing span to really get the puck out there.

During warm ups, it was like night and day. I didn't lose much stick handling and it actually made it easier to stick handle head up. The flex dropped into a range I prefer much more in ~90 versus 95 or 85 on other sticks I have. I was back to making plays and playing much more comfortably. I even had a slap shot snipe top corner in a game I subbed for another team coming down the right side on a semi breakaway that went top blocker. I also discoursed the flex and flex profile makes my wrist shot release effortless with much more zip. Can't wait to go at it again tomorrow for the knockout stage.

At 6'2", the stick comes up just below by lips in shoes. I think I've found my sweet spot and just have to continue to utilize my skates to play pucks in close. Amazing what just an inch will do.

Old
11-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Malarowski

Picked up some sweet Easton Stealth RS gloves on the cheap thanks to discounts on discounts. Looking forward to using some more form-fitting gloves that also match my uniform for once.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:44 PM
TrueBlue86

Today I got the Supreme one .8s for $399.. a pretty good deal

Old
11-30-2013, 09:40 PM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

I picked up another pair of goals and an assist today. We won 15-8. First two games with my new RBZ were pretty bad, didn't like the feel of it so I went back to my old Bauer Vapor X:40 and now have 4 goals in the last 2 games.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Ozz

Tourney this weekend. Got blasted in the opening game, then won our 2 games today to advance for tomorrow. The first opponent would've advanced if they won, and we had to win both to do so. First game was 5-3 and second was 8-0 (mercy). I think I had 0pts in the first but 2 goals and an assist or two in the 2nd. Best part is my real good friend was the goalie for the team we blanked, and my first goal came in 44 seconds.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:49 PM
SacredPetra

Got my skates profiled today ( now that they're fixed!) and out made such a huge difference! I felt like I had so much more blade on the ice. I'm glad I didn't have them widen the radius! I wish I had gotten my skates profiled earlier.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Today we got absolutely destroyed 7-0. Really frustrating. Our team just can't seem to get anything going. We didn't even have a goalie for the game, so we had to use a shooter tutor. We were getting outplayed so badly that their team decided to give us their goalie for the game so he wouldn't get bored. That's how bad it was.

Our teams get re-tiered in mid-January, so my numbers should probably get a huge boost after that. It's a bit hard to get something going as a defenceman when your team's possession time for the game was probably near 5 minutes, lol.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Won the ironman tourney. Definitely a lot more comfortable and distributing the biscuit pretty well for some solid assists. Got a hold of a few shots in the later games but nothing after the first two.

Old
12-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Tourney this weekend. Got blasted in the opening game, then won our 2 games today to advance for tomorrow. The first opponent would've advanced if they won, and we had to win both to do so. First game was 5-3 and second was 8-0 (mercy). I think I had 0pts in the first but 2 goals and an assist or two in the 2nd. Best part is my real good friend was the goalie for the team we blanked, and my first goal came in 44 seconds.

Beat the undefeated team from the other bracket, who happens to be one of our worst rivals in normal league play, to advance to the finals. Of course we ended up playing the team that blasted us in the opening game. Turns out they have at least 2 guys who play pro inline (also play worlds for Team USA) so it's no wonder they just about had their way with us. It was close for a while but a string of stupid penalties gave them a license to kill and there was no closing the gap.

We did great, all things considered.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last night we lost in OT which brings us to 0-4-1. An entirely beatable team but we just aren't that good.

Scary part though was a teammate getting a nasty concussion. He fell as he was taking a shot and hit his head on the ice. Was down for a couple minutes, then got helped to the bench. I go to check on him and he collapses and starts convulsing. Got his mouthguard out and then he sat up dazed. Luckily someone came back to pick him up and hopefully he went to the doctor (I offered to take him to the hospital). Very scary stuff. Second time I've seen a guy get concussed so badly in eight years, but first time I've seen them lose consciousness twice.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Last night we lost in OT which brings us to 0-4-1. An entirely beatable team but we just aren't that good.

Scary part though was a teammate getting a nasty concussion. He fell as he was taking a shot and hit his head on the ice. Was down for a couple minutes, then got helped to the bench. I go to check on him and he collapses and starts convulsing. Got his mouthguard out and then he sat up dazed. Luckily someone came back to pick him up and hopefully he went to the doctor (I offered to take him to the hospital). Very scary stuff. Second time I've seen a guy get concussed so badly in eight years, but first time I've seen them lose consciousness twice.
Holy man, that's horrible. Hope he's ok.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:45 PM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

WOW... Did he crash into the boards or anything from momentum, or did he just lose his footing? Yeesh...

We ended up winning 7-6 last night, scored on the PP. The tier administrator reffed the game. Not sure if he was eyeing us out or not.

Last edited by TLow97: 12-02-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old
12-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Malarowski

Today I will score a goal! I have a good feeling and practiced shooting over the break. Yesterday it clicked and while my wristers still are trash ( I think I overthink how it should look and go too soft) all other shots ended up being rockets that went right on target to the point that my target tutor came off the goal from the impacts.

On a side note, screw those orange pucks haha. I got so used to regular ones on slappers that my wrists felt like they'd break once I moved on to the heavier ones. Significantly higher impact.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Ozz

Won 3-2 in a shootout for one of my lower-level teams. I couldn't buy a goal tonight, but I did assist and set up both of our goals: stripped their guy of the puck and sent it out front to the goal scorer; and picked up the puck after their Dman blocked my shot and sent it from the lower circle to my teammate who one-timed it in the slot.

Old
12-03-2013, 06:13 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Today I ordered a Sher-wood Rekker EK15. It's by far the most expensive stick (and piece of equipment for that matter) I've ever purchased. I'm not an elite player by any stretch of the imagination, but I had some money to burn and am blown away by how light the stick is. I went with the intermediate version, since I'm finding I like shorter sticks and because I can actually utilize the 65 flex.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My teammate was just in the middle of the ice with the puck in the offensive zone, fell sideways while taking a shot. I don't know if he was tripped or clipped or what happened, but he wasn't able to brace himself and hit the side of his head on the ice.

I think he's okay? I mean he has a concussion obviously, but I haven't heard anything.

Old
12-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Ozz

My higher-level team fell apart after having a 4-goal lead and lost by 1. I had 1g2a.

Half of us were too worn down from playing 8+ games in the past week and we fell apart in the end. Only had 2 subs and were also missing our main energy guy who is also our 2nd bets point producer. Just having a guy like him in the mix would've changed the game for sure, we were all sluggish and he never seems to lose his energy.

Finished the season 10-2-0 in 2nd place. The 1st place team was 9-0-3 and two of those loser points were at our hands. We expect to see each other in the finals unless one of us is upset.

Old
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Today my Warrior Projekt girdle came in the mail. Fits perfectly, can't wait to test it out on Saturday!

Old
12-06-2013, 11:00 PM
WeakTalocrural

Finally learned how to skate up and take a slap shot versus taking them stationary.

I know..nothing special. But it is like a whole new world opened up to me. I can actually skate AND take a slap shot?! Mind blown

Old
12-07-2013, 02:40 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakTalocrural View Post
Finally learned how to skate up and take a slap shot versus taking them stationary.

I know..nothing special. But it is like a whole new world opened up to me. I can actually skate AND take a slap shot?! Mind blown
Yeah definitely a lethal weapon when you can take one in stride and blast it past the goalie. I remember my first goal like that:

I was skating down the left wing and cut towards the middle a tad so I was just inside the left circle and I labeled one far-side low-glove and beat the goalie. Felt good, man.

Old
12-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Ozz

...woke up with a head/sinus cold, had a catastrophe in my home workshop and spent the day trying to replace equipment. Of course that didn't go well and I spent more time on it than expected and so I didn't get a chance to try to get any rest. Went to play hockey anyway and we were short 4 guys! To further compound my luck, our other "talent guy" was also sick and we were both sluggish and had trouble doing what we normally do. Then our goalie got booted from the game for retaliating to a guy who charged at his face for the prior scrum in the crease. Had a fun 5 or so minutes playing w/o a goalie while a skater suited up to replace him; amazingly we did not let up a goal in this time though they surely did try (and hit about 4 posts). We got the lead but gave up a softie to tie it, and we lost in a shootout. None of our 3 guys scored and they got just one. Our replacement goalie gets major kudos for stepping up; I sure as heck wouldn't have wanted to be the one even if I were feeling good. Then again I'm sure they'd want to take anyone but me off of the attack.

At least we got a point out of it, and I had 2g1a despite feeling like I wanted to die the entire game.

Old
12-09-2013, 06:52 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

(Yesterday) Picked up my EK15 and used it in practice. Wow. The thing is ridiculously light, and a lot of fun to use.

Old
12-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Cujomi
Bring Pesky Back

(Yesterday) I moved back to D and got 2 points (both shots from the point that were deflected in) and brought myself back up to p/g. We lost 5 - 4 in a very close game to the top team in our division.

Closed Thread