HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2014 Draft Prospect Thread: Breaking Blad - "They're Draft picks MacT, Jesus!"

View Poll Results: If the Oilers end up with the #1 overall pick, who would you select?
Sam Reinhart 16 4.92%
Aaron Ekblad 286 88.00%
William Nylander 6 1.85%
Leon Draisaitl 9 2.77%
Other (explain) 8 2.46%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I haven't been able to see him yet.

From Brock's early top 30 list:

Even if we miss out on Ekblad, it would be tough not to get excited for a player like him.

Check out the whole list here: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2013...nhl-draft.html
And then I read the part about Ekblad being a physical specimen that's a terror to play against and go right back to an "Ekblad or bust" mindset.

Old
11-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Probably as sick as Hall, RNH and Yakupov looks.

Er, wait.

No but seriously, I'm starting to think the team just wants to do a 2 phase rebuild. Wait till Hall and RNH are the 25 year old vets, then you have the young guys like Ekblad and McDavid on their ELCs.
By 2020, this team will be sick!

Oil Change season 10 - Finally Leaving The Garage

Old
11-18-2013, 11:15 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Reinhart is 6'1 and Ekblad is the top defenseman. I would like either of those guys.
It's still early but they seem to be the consensus top 2 with a drop after. But we should all remember that at this point in their draft years, few expected Seguin or Drouin to get picked where they did. Lots of hockey to be played for these kids.

A few other names that interest me and could move up the rankings would be Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Bennett, and Virtanen for forwards and McKeown and maybe Fleury for D.

Old
11-20-2013, 04:00 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
so, are there any potential draftees playing on either side tonight?

#subwaysuperseries

Old
11-20-2013, 04:39 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post

#subwaysuperseries
QMJHL:

Alexis Vanier on D (wearing #3)
Daniel Audette (#38). He's a C for Sherbrooke, but he might be playing the wing in this series

I'm really not sure on the Russian side though. I know Alexander Mikulovich is 2014 eligible, but he plays in the OHL, so I'm not sure if he'll be playing tonight or not.

11-20-2013, 06:38 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post

#subwaysuperseries

Lil' Vladimir Tkachev

Watch out for Goldobin in the OHL series and Shcherbak in the WHL games. Both are putting up great numbers in the CHL this year.

Old
11-21-2013, 09:19 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
funny how this thread's cooled off after a couple of wins...

i've liked what i've seen from Goldobin and Dal Colle so far in the Super Series.

gotta make it to another Frontenacs game soon to see how Bennett's been doing. was just watching Perron take the puck repeatedly to the net and thinking how much that reminded me of Bennett. it's not a bad comparable. Bennett's skating could end up a little better and he throws the body more, whereas Perron might be a bit more tenacious (especially after the whistle). but the skill level, board battle and net drive that both players have make it an interesting comparison.

Old
11-30-2013, 12:54 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
"check bad for ekblad"

Old
11-30-2013, 01:21 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Curious, if we pick in the 3-7 range, would you want to keep the pick or trade it?

Anyone interested in any players in that range?

Old
11-30-2013, 01:30 PM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Curious, if we pick in the 3-7 range, would you want to keep the pick or trade it?

Right now I'd say trade it in a package for a top pairing D. But that could change if a prospect ranked after Reinhart/Ekblad really starts to tear it up.

Old
11-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:

Only Leon Draisatl and Michael Dal Colle intrigue me.

Old
11-30-2013, 02:29 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Dal Colle and Ritchie have me interested. I don't know much about Draisatl

Old
11-30-2013, 03:22 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Fleury could be an interesting add ....he may be similar to Nurse if he picks it up a bit...

I've never watched either of them but it sounds like he has a bit more of an edge than ekblad but probably does not have the same level of poise and offensive ability.

That said, Ekblad has 8 goals already. He could have 15 by the end of the year and have 40-50 pts.

If they could trade down and snag a pick and get a Ritchie and a Fleury somehow....barring Ekblad.....that would be grand.

Old
11-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
No love for Bennett?

Old
11-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
No love for Bennett?
His skillset seems really meh to me. Jack of all trades and master of none.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:03 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

I think after Ekblad, Reinhart, Dal Colle and Draisatl the Oilers would likely trade the pick, but you never know, they could always trade a top 4 or 5 pick.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:37 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Drafting a center is an absolute must IMO. Unless someone obvious is on the board, but we really need a center. Right now I've got my eyes on Leon Draisatl. Really impressed me at this past World Juniors. Tyson Baillie is another one who caught my eye during the WHL playoffs. Plays a lot like Ryan Callahan.
I disagree.

Now let's be realistic. Edmonton never trades their first or second overall picks.

Now... Let's dream of a magical world where Mac-T has a brain while at the same time pretending that drafting top 5 every year is going to work out.

We've got Ekblad, Nurse, Klefbom, Petry and Justin Schultz.

Let's trade Petry and one of Hall, Eberle or Yakupov for a REAL first #1 d-man. Well let's pretend it's available. That's what it would cost.

So now we've got our blueline taken care of IMO.

We've got that #1 guy and Ference for vets to mentor the kids. The kids wouldn't drown in Edmonton if we had a real #1 guy to mentor them.

Now we trade one of Hall, Eberle or Yakupov for a REALLY awesome overall #2 center and a really good checking line winger. Maybe Edmonton throws a prospect in to even things up.

Now we're looking good down the middle and we've got an open space on each wing on our first three lines.

Trade Gagner for a good 3rd line winger.

Sign Jagr to a 2 year 6M contract to play on the second line. I bet he'd rub off well given his experience. I know the term is long given his age and the price is a little higher than it should be, but he's done it all.

Lastly we have an open spot on our first line. Be it the left wing or the right wing. We need to sign a Burrows kinda guy. Someone who can play lots of minutes responsibly at both ends. Someone who'll go to the front of the net and bang in the corners. He doesn't need to be a legit top 6 player. Just someone that's going to bring sandpaper to our first line.

I think we've got a real hockey team now. But this is a dream world.

Hall/Sandpaper guy- Hopkins - Eberle/Yak/Sand paper guy
Perron-New #2 center- Jagr
Gagner trade - Gordon - guy came with #2 center
Gazdic-Lander-Pitlick

New guy- Schultz
Ference-Nurse
Klefbom-Ekblad

That's a hockey team. But it won't happen. BEcause Mac-T doesn't care.

Old
11-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Fleury could be an interesting add ....he may be similar to Nurse if he picks it up a bit...

I've never watched either of them but it sounds like he has a bit more of an edge than ekblad but probably does not have the same level of poise and offensive ability.

That said, Ekblad has 8 goals already. He could have 15 by the end of the year and have 40-50 pts.

If they could trade down and snag a pick and get a Ritchie and a Fleury somehow....barring Ekblad.....that would be grand.
This from the Prospects board on Fleury and Ekblad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftBuzz Hockey View Post
Fleury's hockey sense is rapidly improving. It is one of his scouted strengths now - he routinely makes small, crafty plays to stop opposing pressure in his own zone and start a breakout. Like you said, he is a fearless puck rusher who needs finish plays better in order to boost himself into the top tier or else he will just end up being a projection. His prospect potential is extremely high.

Ekblad is a mysterious prospect. His recent play at the Super Series has thrown a wrench in our overall view of Ekblad in a positive way for AE. He looked like a veteran, drafted CHL'er in the Super Series. Presumably, less erratic play from more talented players puts Ekblad in a prime position where he does not have to cover teammates gaffes - something that he is not explosive enough to do. This is something that has somewhat compromised his defensive play for Barrie. He looked extremely poised, and in the offensive zone looked his masterful self.

Old
11-30-2013, 09:28 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

There's a handful of OHL guys that would be great fits in that range.

You've got a couple of two-way centers in Bennett and McCann, some forwards with size and skill in Dal Colle, Ritchie and Perlini and a McDonagh-like defenseman in McKeown.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
There's a handful of OHL guys that would be great fits in that range.

You've got a couple of two-way centers in Bennett and McCann, some forwards with size and skill in Dal Colle, Ritchie and Perlini and a McDonagh-like defenseman in McKeown.
I have my eye on Perlini, curious to see how he performs the rest of the year.

Too bad the Oilers don't have a 2nd rounder this year. There's supposedly not a big talent difference from mid 1st round to end of the 2nd round.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Colts General Manager Jason Ford dubbed Ekblad “The best defenseman to ever play in Barrie through my time.” That’s saying a lot considering Alex Pietrangelo played for the Colts during Ford’s tenure.
Mmmm.

http://ohlwriters.com/articles/aaron...player-profile

Gonna leave this here...

Old
11-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Pietrangelo was pretty raw while he was in junior though. His development curve skyrocketed only once he hit the NHL.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
11-30-2013, 11:43 PM
armandh01

Eh, Hope they trade it lol. But I'd like someone with some size who isn't a complete neanderthal and has skills.

Last edited by armandh01: 11-30-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old
11-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Pietrangelo was pretty raw while he was in junior though. His development curve skyrocketed only once he hit the NHL.
True, I remember his first WJC I was all "bleh". He was in Barrie +2 after his draft though, his polished junior game was solid.

Old
12-01-2013, 03:05 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
True, I remember his first WJC I was all "bleh". He was in Barrie +2 after his draft though, his polished junior game was solid.
I really liked his play in the WJC he wasn't super polished and made the kind of mistakes you'd expect of someone his age, but the talent was so apparent. I remember being one of the few people on this board who talked about dangling Eberle for him post WJC heroics, when everyone loved him. I bet everyone on this board would do that trade now.

Shea Weber to me is the defenseman who came out of nowhere I remember watching him and thought he could be a 2nd pairing defenseman tops if he kept doing the right things and I didn't see huge offensive upside, to me he is pretty comparable to Scott Harrington and I actually think I liked Harringtons play in junior a bit more, then all of sudden bam he's just a stud out there and one of the best D in the league.

I know everyone on here is crazy about Ekblad for the most part, I haven't seen enough of the top guys to really comment but when I watched Reinhart aswell as Draisaitl they both impressed me quite a bit. I don't want to grab another forward given our present roster, but we are just better at picking skilled players, we have to atleast examine trading one of our young skill players for an established mid-20's D and then possibly snatching up another skill guy. D take so long to mature, beyond the rare one or two exceptions we are in store for a lot more sucking if we look to prospect D to fix our defensive issues.

Last edited by Burnt Biscuits: 12-01-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Closed Thread