HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

The greatest goaltender of all time?

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest goalie of all time?
Brodeur 43 13.11%
Roy 104 31.71%
Hasek 181 55.18%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2013, 11:34 PM
  #1
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie
 
AvsFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 125
The greatest goaltender of all time?

Who is it in your opinion?

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:35 PM
  #2
robsenz
Registered User
 
robsenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 624
vCash: 500
Racicot

robsenz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:36 PM
  #3
LOLKarlsson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Why only those 3? An argument can be made for nearly a dozen other guys.

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:38 PM
  #4
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLKarlsson View Post
Why only those 3? An argument can be made for nearly a dozen other guys.
Boy would I love to hear those arguments. And I wish sincere good luck to whoever wants to make them in here.

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:46 PM
  #5
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie
 
AvsFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLKarlsson View Post
Why only those 3? An argument can be made for nearly a dozen other guys.
Like who?

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  #6
seancolorado
Registered User
 
seancolorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLKarlsson View Post
Why only those 3? An argument can be made for nearly a dozen other guys.
I think the poll in question implies best goalies in recent history. Let's be real here, a large chunk of us here don't have the in-depth knowledge to discuss old time hockey

seancolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  #7
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Prime - Roy

Peak - Hasek

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:55 PM
  #8
Falcons93
Registered User
 
Falcons93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Brodeur for me.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:57 PM
  #9
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,631
vCash: 500
Roy had the best career. Hasek was on another planet in his peak. Prime Hasek was the best goaltender to ever play.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:00 AM
  #10
Steenalizer
Slingshot Engage.
 
Steenalizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arcola, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,989
vCash: 915
Hasek.

Steenalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:02 AM
  #11
LOLKarlsson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
Like who?
Plante, Dryden, Parent, Sawchuk, etc etc

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:10 AM
  #12
LOLKarlsson*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Boy would I love to hear those arguments. And I wish sincere good luck to whoever wants to make them in here.
7 Vezinas, 5 of them consecutive. Hart trophy. .910 - .930% seasons nearly every single year during much higher scoring eras. 434 wins. 8 all star appearances. 6 Stanley Cups. 20+ year Hall of Fame career.

But yeah, you're totally right. It would be completely dumb for anyone to make an argument for him.

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:15 AM
  #13
29MacKinnon29
Adios#26, welcome#12
 
29MacKinnon29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 50
Hasek had the best peak, but Roy is the greatest!

29MacKinnon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:54 AM
  #14
GotScomez
Registered User
 
GotScomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 1,032
vCash: 1558
Peak - Hasek
Playoffs - Roy
Career - Brodeur

Depends on what you're looking for.

GotScomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:55 AM
  #15
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around
 
ucanthanzalthetruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 50
I didn't know the NHL only started using goalies in 1985

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:04 AM
  #16
hockeyjack89
Thrashers
 
hockeyjack89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
Brodeur, mostly because if longevity.

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:13 AM
  #17
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,619
vCash: 1075
Brodeur.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:31 AM
  #18
whatthef
Failure is an Option
 
whatthef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Darby
Country: United States
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I didn't know the NHL only started using goalies in 1985
Honestly watching high lights of goalies before that I don't know how anyone scored less than 50 goals per season. Blah blah blah era training etc. That works better for other positions because how goalie is played has changed so much it doesn't translate as well. With modern composite sticks and modern training it's easy to imagine Lemieux and Gretzky still being dominant. But how much positioning/angels and athleticism have changed it's harder to imagine George Vezina maintaining his dominance.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:53 AM
  #19
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLKarlsson View Post
7 Vezinas, 5 of them consecutive. Hart trophy. .910 - .930% seasons nearly every single year during much higher scoring eras. 434 wins. 8 all star appearances. 6 Stanley Cups. 20+ year Hall of Fame career.

But yeah, you're totally right. It would be completely dumb for anyone to make an argument for him.
Three things:

1)Jacques Plante had 437 wins.

2)They didn't have save % back then so I don't know where that's coming from.

3)The Vezina trophy wasn't back then what it is today. It wasn't a best goalie award it was simply given to the goalie/team who gave up the fewest goals. And since Plante played for far and away the best team, he had a bit of an easier time with those than most did. So that's kind of moot.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:01 AM
  #20
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around
 
ucanthanzalthetruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Honestly watching high lights of goalies before that I don't know how anyone scored less than 50 goals per season. Blah blah blah era training etc. That works better for other positions because how goalie is played has changed so much it doesn't translate as well. With modern composite sticks and modern training it's easy to imagine Lemieux and Gretzky still being dominant. But how much positioning/angels and athleticism have changed it's harder to imagine George Vezina maintaining his dominance.
I would take Ken Dryden over all 3 of these goalies, and your point doesn't make sense. Goalies who played before the late 80's can't be considered, but players can because of the sticks they use? Goalies pads were at least 2-3 times smaller back then than they are today. Imagine Ken Dryden playing today with JS Giguere's pads? His save percentage would be over 980. I guess we have differing opinions, but if you wouldn't take Dryden over at least 1 of these 3 goalies, you are ignoring the history of the game.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:11 AM
  #21
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around
 
ucanthanzalthetruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Three things:

1)Jacques Plante had 437 wins.


2)They didn't have save % back then so I don't know where that's coming from.

3)The Vezina trophy wasn't back then what it is today. It wasn't a best goalie award it was simply given to the goalie/team who gave up the fewest goals. And since Plante played for far and away the best team, he had a bit of an easier time with those than most did. So that's kind of moot.
1. Plante had more wins than Hasek, and only played more than 40 games in a season 9 times.

2. It's a valid point.

3.I hate the look at how good their team was argument. Brodeur and Roy consistently played behind excellent teams.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:22 AM
  #22
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 2,984
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I would take Ken Dryden over all 3 of these goalies, and your point doesn't make sense. Goalies who played before the late 80's can't be considered, but players can because of the sticks they use? Goalies pads were at least 2-3 times smaller back then than they are today. Imagine Ken Dryden playing today with JS Giguere's pads? His save percentage would be over 980. I guess we have differing opinions, but if you wouldn't take Dryden over at least 1 of these 3 goalies, you are ignoring the history of the game.
I would have to go ahead and vehemently disagree with you there. Dryden isn't some god or something, get real.

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:03 AM
  #23
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,082
vCash: 500
no disrespect to hasek but Tim Thomas peak was just as good as hasek peak.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:26 AM
  #24
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,399
vCash: 500
Roy's performances for those Canadiens teams was the single most impressive thing any of these goalies did by a little over how far Hasek dragged his Sabres, but the playoff resume really creates the separation.

Roy
Hasek








Everybody else.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 04:41 AM
  #25
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Boy would I love to hear those arguments. And I wish sincere good luck to whoever wants to make them in here.
Well, for one, the Stanley Cup was first awarded in 1893, so you'd think we should at least consider more than the last 25 years when picking the best all-time. I'd vote Roy anyway, but I feel there should be more options

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.