HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team toughness

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Vidic15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Per Giannone between benches in 3rd....Sestito elbows DZ in the head...skates by Ranger bench ans states "who is gonna do something, show me the guy who is gonna do something"

Bleed Ranger Blue....u think that is demoralizing or they can just shake that off or pretend to not hear it....since you are always right...please give me your take.
That's all that talentless POS can do. That's basically his job because he can't do anything else on the ice. I'm all for fighting but idiots like Sestito need to be out of the game. More guys that can fight AND play

Old
11-30-2013, 09:07 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I would love to get McGrattan and have him on the team and play him 40 or so times a year when needed and let him teach Dylan the ropes...Going into anyones barn who dresses a tough line up with McGratts ,Dorsett and McIlrath would be a start.

Old
11-30-2013, 09:24 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I would love to get McGrattan and have him on the team and play him 40 or so times a year when needed and let him teach Dylan the ropes...Going into anyones barn who dresses a tough line up with McGratts ,Dorsett and McIlrath would be a start.
McGrattan can really fight--however he's not a very good hockey player. You're either going with 3 lines a lot or someone's going to be double shifting a lot.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Josh3217

McGrattan used to get pounded in the AHL his first few years, by everyone. Now hes the best fighter in the league IMO. I assume when McIlrath ever gets his shot hes gonna get pounded a lot by some of the bigger guys in the league.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:27 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Per Giannone between benches in 3rd....Sestito elbows DZ in the head...skates by Ranger bench ans states "who is gonna do something, show me the guy who is gonna do something"

Bleed Ranger Blue....u think that is demoralizing or they can just shake that off or pretend to not hear it....since you are always right...please give me your take.
I just posted this picture in another thread. This is tough guy Sestito the Hair Puller. Wish we still had Prust.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old
11-30-2013, 10:35 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
McGrattan used to get pounded in the AHL his first few years, by everyone. Now hes the best fighter in the league IMO. I assume when McIlrath ever gets his shot hes gonna get pounded a lot by some of the bigger guys in the league.
I don't know that he'll be getting "pounded" at all. Maybe John Scott? With McIlrath's strength and reach he'll hold his own even against the top heavies. What will be more important is his adjustment to the speed of NHL forwards.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:48 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
I don't know that he'll be getting "pounded" at all. Maybe John Scott? With McIlrath's strength and reach he'll hold his own even against the top heavies. What will be more important is his adjustment to the speed of NHL forwards.
Agreed. He's handled the top heavies in the AHL. The league has changed - the best true goons live in the AHL now. If he can handle them (which he can), he can handle any of the pure fighters in the NHL.

What we want is Chara part II. A guy who rarely has to fight, but when he does... watch out. Takes few actual fighting majors, but keeps every opponent honest regardless (and oh yeah, can actually play the game).

Old
11-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Dorsett fighting that piece of garbage Sestito was so nice. He beat him too.

No place in the game for losers like him.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
McIlrath continues like he has and it shouldn't be long before we see him up. He would end Sestito.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:34 PM
peteyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Eh, they could be tougher by a lot, but it's not as bleak as you say.

McDonagh had some notable moments this year where he wrecked people for being in front of the net.

Staal has thrown his weight around against stars, most notably OV, tons of times.
Lets look at it like this our defensive USED TO dump anyone near the net. no matter he case… now a days you barely see a push I'm huge for team toughness and i feel we need to get meaner in our own zone and for crying out loud boyle just learn to defend yourself instead of getting punched all the time

Old
12-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
They answered by winning the game.

I wouldn't mind some more toughness added into the lineup but we don't need any more Sather goons who have no positive aspect outside of fighting.
Well that's nice.

Except that hockey is anything but nice. The Rangers have no proper response for this type of behavior...and all our opponents know it. Which is why it continues to happen.

The problem here is that Sather has done an absolutely miserable job of getting players that can contribute and also make opponents think twice before elbowing someone or challenging the entire bench.

Are Rangers fans going to continue to insist that getting your ass kicked night in and out is not a factor? Guess so. Keep sticking your heads in the sand kiddies.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Well that's nice.

Except that hockey is anything but nice. The Rangers have no proper response for this type of behavior...and all our opponents know it. Which is why it continues to happen.

The problem here is that Sather has done an absolutely miserable job of getting players that can contribute and also make opponents think twice before elbowing someone or challenging the entire bench.

Are Rangers fans going to continue to insist that getting your ass kicked night in and out is not a factor? Guess so. Keep sticking your heads in the sand kiddies.
Continues to happen? Boyle got rag dolled twice I'd say that's more of a Boyle making bad decisions problem than anything. Sestito being a chump? He'd do that if a prime Ali on skates was out there. He's a pile of trash, nothing short of a lobotomy changes that type of player.

As to the bolded, those players are almost as rare as unicorns, so while he's failed to address it a big reason why is because they aren't readily available. Except oh wait, we have McIlrath in the system.

We're really not getting our ***** kicked, yeah we need some more muscle but outside of the Boston game and tonight (which wasn't all that bad) we haven't seen **** from other teams in awhile.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Continues to happen? Boyle got rag dolled twice I'd say that's more of a Boyle making bad decisions problem than anything. Sestito being a chump? He'd do that if a prime Ali on skates was out there. He's a pile of trash, nothing short of a lobotomy changes that type of player.

As to the bolded, those players are almost as rare as unicorns, so while he's failed to address it a big reason why is because they aren't readily available. Except oh wait, we have McIlrath in the system.

We're really not getting our ***** kicked, yeah we need some more muscle but outside of the Boston game and tonight (which wasn't all that bad) we haven't seen **** from other teams in awhile.
Blah, Blah, Blah. It's always the same thing with Rangers fans.

You can infer that Sestino is as dumb as a box of rocks, but he's plenty smart enough to know that the Rangers are a prime target. It's plainly obvious that they have no one to drop kick his **** across the ice the way Bieksa did with Boyle.

And only a Rangers fan could say that Boyle made bad choices. The guy at least has the balls to try and stand up for himself and the team. The only thing worse than him getting his ass kicked would be backing down. It just pathetic that he folds like a blanket every time he fights.

Yes, guys that can fight and contribute are rare. Almost as rare as a Rangers team that actually intimidates the opposition with physical play as well as skill.

Boston

Kicked

Our

Ass yesterday.

And it's not so much that that aggravates me year in and out. It's Rangers fans who continue to insist that the Rangers be on their best behavior or some such crap. It's F@#$ing Hockey!

Get this team and it's fans some balls for God's sake.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:52 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:

You can infer that Sestino is as dumb as a box of rocks, but he's plenty smart enough to know that the Rangers are a prime target. It's plainly obvious that they have no one to drop kick his **** across the ice the way Bieksa did with Boyle.

And only a Rangers fan could say that Boyle made bad choices. The guy at least has the balls to try and stand up for himself and the team. The only thing worse than him getting his ass kicked would be backing down. It just pathetic that he folds like a blanket every time he fights.

Yes, guys that can fight and contribute are rare. Almost as rare as a Rangers team that actually intimidates the opposition with physical play as well as skill.

Boston

Kicked

Our

Ass yesterday.

And it's not so much that that aggravates me year in and out. It's Rangers fans who continue to insist that the Rangers be on their best behavior or some such crap. It's F@#$ing Hockey!

Couldn't agree more. Only problem is, Sather gets goons and the coaches he picks prefer others.

He was rather unlucky with Clowe and the concussions/regression. Dorsett is good, but we need another guy like him who's bigger and more useful and can be used on the 3rd line.

Pouloit and Pyatt do nothing. Can't score. Can't fight. We have enough guys like this who are more talented than both of them. Need diversity.

Don't need a slow and lumbering goon heavy weight. We need speed, aggression, a hard hitter who can drop the mitts and not embarrass himself in the process. I wanted Clutterbuck in the offseason. @ 4 mill he's rather expensive, but the worth of players like that seems to be escalating every year.

I like Glencross from Calgary but would they trade him?

Simmonds from Phil? No chance they trade him with their resurgence.

Ott from Buffalo?

More grit needs to be added in the top 9.

Old
12-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I would love to have Mcgrattan here. Rangers before signing Boogaard had leaked some info that they offered Mcgrattan a contract. Then it was dubunked and Boogaard was signed almost within the next half hour. I think I remember hearing the Rangers and McGrattan again a year or so later in a rumor.

Personally I think McIlrath is the answer. Yes, he's going to make a few mistakes but I always felt its better to learn at the NHL level. More speed better players, lern from the best. Plus...He's a damn righty!!!!! Howw long do we need to hear the LH defenseman issues?

Dorsett is a scrappy kid and I appreciate his MOXY. Just a little deflating seeing a guy his ass handed to him on a regular basis.

All the posters saying this team doesn't need to toughen up. What games are you watching? Come playoff time, this is when things really get physical. This team will be exposed then if...they don't add that type of a player.

Not a guy for the 4th line either. I think a top 6...A Hartnell, Simmonds, Clarkson, Backes, Benn, Iginla type etc. Iginla himself is too old but as a stop gap for a year or so he could have worked.

Mcgrattan for Pyatt I would do all day. But...A better team for this NHL is putting a physical force in there that will play against ther teams better forwards and top pairings. I may sound like a broken record, but...That IMO should be the gameplan.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:

Boston

Kicked

Our

Ass yesterday.

"Blah, blah, blah you're right, but I'm going to continue to ignore reality and question other people's manhood because it's the internet."

Pretty much sums you up, I have no issue with fighting and this team doesn't have a good answer but your mentality is ****ed.

The Bruins kicked our *****? How many of our players suffered injury? Besides Boyle's injured pride.

They played a hard physical game, we need to counter that I totally agree. We have an answer in the system one that can actually play the game, I'm not going to worry about it.

McIlrath won't have to fight a lot either, once he establishes his rep he'll only fight to protect a teammate, wake his team up, and shut guys like Sestito up. The coaching staff will teach him to pick his spots.

Old
12-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
"Blah, blah, blah you're right, but I'm going to continue to ignore reality and question other people's manhood because it's the internet."

Pretty much sums you up, I have no issue with fighting and this team doesn't have a good answer but your mentality is ****ed.

The Bruins kicked our *****? How many of our players suffered injury? Besides Boyle's injured pride.

They played a hard physical game, we need to counter that I totally agree. We have an answer in the system one that can actually play the game, I'm not going to worry about it.

McIlrath won't have to fight a lot either, once he establishes his rep he'll only fight to protect a teammate, wake his team up, and shut guys like Sestito up. The coaching staff will teach him to pick his spots.
I'm not questioning your manhood so much as your grip on reality. We see things differently. The Bruins clearly out muscled the Rangers. It was a playoff style game. Which is my main point.

In a tough, physical series the Rangers lose to a team that balances skill and toughness as well as the Bruins do.

And McIlrath will have to fight plenty. It would be just like the Rangers to have him be the one guy to deal with all that needs doing.

Old
12-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Mikos87

Hey the Vancouer game is just a reminder of what guys are willing to do out there. Sestito is what he is, but there are guys like him in the league. Check out what Toronto's got cooking with Carlyle's Goon Squad out there.

Guys like Kadri, Kessel, Rielly, JVR, Lupul, and their other speedsters are flying out there knowing they aren't going to be receiving headshots. That team skates with confidence for a full 60.

Old
12-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
I'm not questioning your manhood so much as your grip on reality. We see things differently. The Bruins clearly out muscled the Rangers. It was a playoff style game. Which is my main point.

In a tough, physical series the Rangers lose to a team that balances skill and toughness as well as the Bruins do.

And McIlrath will have to fight plenty. It would be just like the Rangers to have him be the one guy to deal with all that needs doing.
Totally agree, think we're talking about the same thing just from different points of view.

We need some toughness but with AV using four lines that toughness needs to be able to play. Like a Shawn Thornton, but those players ARE pretty hard to find.

I think McIlrath will fight a lot and early on he'll feel obligated but in time he won't have to as much. Dorsett well engage in his fair share, losing the majority of them lol.

Old
12-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Leetch66

Our team lacks not only toughness....but leadership . Not many teams would stand around and watch Boyle get beat up twice without jumping in to help . He is a guy that would jump in for any teammate . This team is embarrassing to watch when one of its own is allowed to be pummeled twice within 24 hours . The Bieska one was really bad . Geesh...do we ever have a bunch of playboys on our roster . Definitely the softest/leaderless team I have ever saw in my 43 years of being a Ranger fan .

Old
12-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Josh3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Our team lacks not only toughness....but leadership . Not many teams would stand around and watch Boyle get beat up twice without jumping in to help . He is a guy that would jump in for any teammate . This team is embarrassing to watch when one of its own is allowed to be pummeled twice within 24 hours . The Bieska one was really bad . Geesh...do we ever have a bunch of playboys on our roster . Definitely the softest/leaderless team I have ever saw in my 43 years of being a Ranger fan .
Agreed. Except it has only been 7 years for me haha.

Old
12-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
That's saying a lot because there have been plenty of soft teams over the years but I agree...this one might be the softest of them all.

Sather is in the bottom 5 GM's in the league and has not clue what it takes to build a successful roster and I blame Clark and I am surprised by Groton...he gets credit for Lucic but I guess it really was Chiarelli pulling the strings.

The saddest thing about the Rangers and the biggest reason why they have won one cup in 70 years is they do not know how to locate young talent evaluators like Chiarelli and Stan Bowman and Ray Shero...we did it once and won the cup with Smith...other than that it has been Esposito and Sather.

Old
12-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
That goon Sestito has more goals than Boyle, just saying

Old
12-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I would love to have Mcgrattan here. Rangers before signing Boogaard had leaked some info that they offered Mcgrattan a contract. Then it was dubunked and Boogaard was signed almost within the next half hour. I think I remember hearing the Rangers and McGrattan again a year or so later in a rumor.

Personally I think McIlrath is the answer. Yes, he's going to make a few mistakes but I always felt its better to learn at the NHL level. More speed better players, lern from the best. Plus...He's a damn righty!!!!! Howw long do we need to hear the LH defenseman issues?

Dorsett is a scrappy kid and I appreciate his MOXY. Just a little deflating seeing a guy his ass handed to him on a regular basis.

All the posters saying this team doesn't need to toughen up. What games are you watching? Come playoff time, this is when things really get physical. This team will be exposed then if...they don't add that type of a player.

Not a guy for the 4th line either. I think a top 6...A Hartnell, Simmonds, Clarkson, Backes, Benn, Iginla type etc. Iginla himself is too old but as a stop gap for a year or so he could have worked.

Mcgrattan for Pyatt I would do all day. But...A better team for this NHL is putting a physical force in there that will play against ther teams better forwards and top pairings. I may sound like a broken record, but...That IMO should be the gameplan.
I like this post, but not McGrattan. Yeah he's definitely top o the heap of fighters, but really adds nothing else at all. And with AV's system I think there has to be at least a little bit of skill. I'd love to see a guy like Chris Stewart. He can handle himself very well against most heavies, will stick up for teammates no questions asked and is a pretty productive bottom liner. Consistency is an issue, but I think a guy like him fits the bill. In my opinion at least.

Old
12-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Devils called up the other Sestito, I believe he's a goon too? Should be interesting come Saturday

Closed Thread