HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Talk/Speculation/News), Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2013, 11:41 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 237
It helps by default, cause then you get Janssen out of the lineup (in all likelihood, who really knows with Pete though). I don't know if Clowe's going to be any better than Bernier/Ryder/Brunner as a top six winger but it's at least another option.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It helps by default, cause then you get Janssen out of the lineup (in all likelihood, who really knows with Pete though). I don't know if Clowe's going to be any better than Bernier/Ryder/Brunner as a top six winger but it's at least another option.
At the very least he will help one of the middle lines keep possession up. Something there seems to have been some trouble with. Guys like Ryder and Brunner aren't great forcheckers.

It should shift Bernier down which is for the best as well.

Guy still knows how to pass which could help too. Team could use some toughness that has some actual skill unlike Cam.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:47 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
here's a question I pose to everyone. does getting ryane clowe back help this team (assuming it happens sometime in the foreseeable future)???
Yes because Brunner, Cam, Teddy barf so far

Old
11-30-2013, 11:56 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
here's a question I pose to everyone. does getting ryane clowe back help this team (assuming it happens sometime in the foreseeable future)???
I think it helps a ton if he's healthy enough to play his gritty style.

Our second and third lines are soft as butter, with the exception of when Bernier plays there. And as much as I loved Bernier's goal tonight, Clowe has much better hands.

Old
12-01-2013, 02:43 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

Can we give Volchencov some love here? He's been pretty ****ing good this season

Old
12-01-2013, 03:08 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Rod Farva View Post
Can we give Volchencov some love here? He's been pretty ****ing good this season
Oh yes. Struggled for a couple weeks, but he's been a rock since then.

At this point, there are some tough decisions to make when the team is healthy.

Old
12-01-2013, 04:04 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Outside of larsson replacing fayne, the def should be left alone. Sal can **** off. There's no place for him there at this point. The offense is another story once clowe is alive.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Payce
#NotGregoryCampbell

Quote:
I'm the last person to admit it, but at this point, I kinda WANT Volch on this team. Our PK has been sick this season and someone taught him situational awareness literally out of nowhere. I'd take Volch over Bryce ten times out of ten as it is right now.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Devils1029

Gelinas has really added an offensive dimension to this defence that has really been lacking. We resigned Zidlicky and Harrold because they were looked to for this. Seeing the team with Merrill back there last night made me really think that the expendable guys on D really are Zidlicky and Harrold.

I doubt that Harrold would fetch us much but the Islanders are looking for D and I'd move him for a 4th rounder just to create some space. Teams will be looking for an offensive D man and we should be able to secure a 2nd rounder for Zids but hat's a deal that more likely gets made closer to the deadline. Gelinas adds some toughness to the D without the common penalties and defensive lapses from Zidlicky.

Volch has been pretty good and was solid last night. besides, no on will take that cntract. Could see the 7 d being Greene, Volch, Sal, Larsson, Gelinas, Fayne, and Harrold/Merrill.

Old
12-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Connor McDevil

While he is fairly productive, I think this team could do without Zid.

Old
12-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Devils731

If the Devils are a playoff team then they should keep Zidlicky. His overall play is very positive and how active his movement is in the offensive zone is still unusual for the Devils.

The Devils are only making themselves worse this season if they move Zids for a draft pick.

Old
12-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
IF the Zajac line sticks....

Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr
Clowe-Elias-Ryder
Henrique-Loktionov-Brunner
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I don't remember whether it was Clowe-Elias-Brunner or Clowe-Elias-Ryder that looked really good in a few games before he got hurt.

Old
12-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Gelinas has really added an offensive dimension to this defence that has really been lacking. We resigned Zidlicky and Harrold because they were looked to for this. Seeing the team with Merrill back there last night made me really think that the expendable guys on D really are Zidlicky and Harrold.

I doubt that Harrold would fetch us much but the Islanders are looking for D and I'd move him for a 4th rounder just to create some space. Teams will be looking for an offensive D man and we should be able to secure a 2nd rounder for Zids but hat's a deal that more likely gets made closer to the deadline. Gelinas adds some toughness to the D without the common penalties and defensive lapses from Zidlicky.

Volch has been pretty good and was solid last night. besides, no on will take that cntract. Could see the 7 d being Greene, Volch, Sal, Larsson, Gelinas, Fayne, and Harrold/Merrill.
Merrill should not stay this year.

When all is healthy, Greene, Gelinas, and Zidlicky will give us enough offense spread over three pairings. Merrill is still very raw, and needs more time to develop. If we rush him now, I think we're going to run into the same problem we had with Larsson after his rookie year, and have to refocus on defense.

Old
12-01-2013, 11:24 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Merrill has been better than Gelinas defensively so far.

Merrill is also very god offensively.

What more seasoning does he need? He was tearing up the A. Let him play here.

Old
12-01-2013, 11:30 AM
CerebralGenesis

Using what barometer is that statement made?

Old
12-01-2013, 11:32 AM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Merrill has been better than Gelinas defensively so far.

Merrill is also very god offensively.

What more seasoning does he need? He was tearing up the A. Let him play here.
He has been good. But I'd rather him be down playing 25+ minutes a night polishing his penalty killing and power play skills. When Larsson and Sal are back I doubt that Merrill would play more than 15 minutes a night if he's in the lineup at all. An extra year in the A NEVER hurts and usually helps greatly.

And regardless of if Merrill's d has been better than Gelly's, Gelly's shot alone keeps him on this team. It is a game changer.

Old
12-01-2013, 11:37 AM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
He has been good. But I'd rather him be down playing 25+ minutes a night polishing his penalty killing and power play skills. When Larsson and Sal are back I doubt that Merrill would play more than 15 minutes a night if he's in the lineup at all. An extra year in the A NEVER hurts and usually helps greatly.

And regardless of if Merrill's d has been better than Gelly's, Gelly's shot alone keeps him on this team. It is a game changer.
I want them all up here. Fayne needs to gtfo. Harrold needs to gtfo. One of Volch and Sal (preferably Sal) needs to gtfo.

Larsson - Greene
Merrill - Gelinas
Zidlicky - Volchenkov

Old
12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
MichaelJ

I'd like to see Merrill stay up, I don't see a problem with him developing his game at the NHL level. I think 15-20 minutes pg against the best competition would be better for him than 25 against players he's clearly better than. Confidence is not a problem for this kid.

Severson is also at almost a point pg in the WHL. I could see him being ready at some point during the 14-15 season. The nucleus of Merrill, Gelinas, Larsson, and Severson would all be up together. That's 4 plus Salvador who won't be going anywhere. Sal would probably be a solid pairing for Severdon - L/R and defense/offense. Plus Sal's veteran influence would probably help the kid along, especially on a 3rd pairing where there'd be less pressure.

Would anyone be interested in signing Dan Girardi in the offseason to pair with Merrill? He's RH to compliment Merrill's LH and is more defensively oriented. I'd like to see the Devils add a D in his prime to play with the young guns and Old Man River.

Merrill-Girardi
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Severson

The Rangers have a ton of Dmen and the Devils could afford to overpay with four D making rookie money.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:04 PM
HenriquesJawLine

Andy Greene>>>>Girardi

Old
12-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Kensu

Dan Girardi has been a disaster ever since Tortorella left and I don't see Severson in the NHL till 2015-2016 at earliest so Salvador probably won't be around.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Devils1029

So what kind of money and term do you think we resign Larsson for? I'm saying either a two year "show-me" kind of deal for 1.25-1.5 mil per or else locking in for a longer term at a modest price, say 5 years at a cap hit averaging 3 million per (1.5/2.25/2.75/3.5/5.0).

Old
12-01-2013, 12:28 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
I want them all up here. Fayne needs to gtfo. Harrold needs to gtfo. One of Volch and Sal (preferably Sal) needs to gtfo.

Larsson - Greene
Merrill - Gelinas
Zidlicky - Volchenkov

That would be a nice d group but it aint happening most likely. It'll most likely be something like:

Greene-Zids
Gelly-Larsson
Sal-Fayne/Volch

We need to trade one or two of Fayne, Harrold, Volch or Sal. Too many dime-a-dozen dmen. The new talented kids we have are really starting to show just how average a player Mark Fayne. He isn't getting a second round pick, there's no question about it. 3rd at the most.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Buckingham Claude*

Quote:
No. He has showed me enough of what he is capable of over the years.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:29 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
So what kind of money and term do you think we resign Larsson for? I'm saying either a two year "show-me" kind of deal for 1.25-1.5 mil per or else locking in for a longer term at a modest price, say 5 years at a cap hit averaging 3 million per (1.5/2.25/2.75/3.5/5.0).
I don't see how on earth he could get much more than 3 mil a year. That sounds about right.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 4s
#NJDevils have placed Adam Larsson on injured reserve and recalled Tim Sestito. Sestito has 13 points and 28PIMs in 21 games w/ Albany.

lol.

Closed Thread