HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Talk/Speculation/News), Part VIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2013, 11:41 PM
  #126
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 25,309
vCash: 237
It helps by default, cause then you get Janssen out of the lineup (in all likelihood, who really knows with Pete though). I don't know if Clowe's going to be any better than Bernier/Ryder/Brunner as a top six winger but it's at least another option.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
11-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  #127
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 16,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It helps by default, cause then you get Janssen out of the lineup (in all likelihood, who really knows with Pete though). I don't know if Clowe's going to be any better than Bernier/Ryder/Brunner as a top six winger but it's at least another option.
At the very least he will help one of the middle lines keep possession up. Something there seems to have been some trouble with. Guys like Ryder and Brunner aren't great forcheckers.

It should shift Bernier down which is for the best as well.

Guy still knows how to pass which could help too. Team could use some toughness that has some actual skill unlike Cam.

Emperoreddy is offline  
Old
11-30-2013, 11:47 PM
  #128
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
here's a question I pose to everyone. does getting ryane clowe back help this team (assuming it happens sometime in the foreseeable future)???
Yes because Brunner, Cam, Teddy barf so far

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
11-30-2013, 11:56 PM
  #129
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 41,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirheadPete View Post
here's a question I pose to everyone. does getting ryane clowe back help this team (assuming it happens sometime in the foreseeable future)???
I think it helps a ton if he's healthy enough to play his gritty style.

Our second and third lines are soft as butter, with the exception of when Bernier plays there. And as much as I loved Bernier's goal tonight, Clowe has much better hands.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
12-01-2013, 02:43 AM
  #130
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer
 
Officer Rod Farva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 500
Can we give Volchencov some love here? He's been pretty ****ing good this season

Officer Rod Farva is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 03:08 AM
  #131
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 41,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Rod Farva View Post
Can we give Volchencov some love here? He's been pretty ****ing good this season
Oh yes. Struggled for a couple weeks, but he's been a rock since then.

At this point, there are some tough decisions to make when the team is healthy.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now  
Old
12-01-2013, 04:04 AM
  #132
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Outside of larsson replacing fayne, the def should be left alone. Sal can **** off. There's no place for him there at this point. The offense is another story once clowe is alive.

åboriginal is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 08:07 AM
  #133
Payce
#NotGregoryCampbell
 
Payce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Rod Farva View Post
Can we give Volchencov some love here? He's been pretty ****ing good this season
I'm the last person to admit it, but at this point, I kinda WANT Volch on this team. Our PK has been sick this season and someone taught him situational awareness literally out of nowhere. I'd take Volch over Bryce ten times out of ten as it is right now.

Payce is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  #134
Devils1029
Registered User
 
Devils1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
Gelinas has really added an offensive dimension to this defence that has really been lacking. We resigned Zidlicky and Harrold because they were looked to for this. Seeing the team with Merrill back there last night made me really think that the expendable guys on D really are Zidlicky and Harrold.

I doubt that Harrold would fetch us much but the Islanders are looking for D and I'd move him for a 4th rounder just to create some space. Teams will be looking for an offensive D man and we should be able to secure a 2nd rounder for Zids but hat's a deal that more likely gets made closer to the deadline. Gelinas adds some toughness to the D without the common penalties and defensive lapses from Zidlicky.

Volch has been pretty good and was solid last night. besides, no on will take that cntract. Could see the 7 d being Greene, Volch, Sal, Larsson, Gelinas, Fayne, and Harrold/Merrill.

Devils1029 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 09:24 AM
  #135
Connor McDevil
Registered User
 
Connor McDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
While he is fairly productive, I think this team could do without Zid.

Connor McDevil is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 09:34 AM
  #136
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,373
vCash: 500
If the Devils are a playoff team then they should keep Zidlicky. His overall play is very positive and how active his movement is in the offensive zone is still unusual for the Devils.

The Devils are only making themselves worse this season if they move Zids for a draft pick.

Devils731 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 09:35 AM
  #137
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It helps by default, cause then you get Janssen out of the lineup (in all likelihood, who really knows with Pete though). I don't know if Clowe's going to be any better than Bernier/Ryder/Brunner as a top six winger but it's at least another option.
IF the Zajac line sticks....

Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr
Clowe-Elias-Ryder
Henrique-Loktionov-Brunner
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

I don't remember whether it was Clowe-Elias-Brunner or Clowe-Elias-Ryder that looked really good in a few games before he got hurt.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 09:37 AM
  #138
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Gelinas has really added an offensive dimension to this defence that has really been lacking. We resigned Zidlicky and Harrold because they were looked to for this. Seeing the team with Merrill back there last night made me really think that the expendable guys on D really are Zidlicky and Harrold.

I doubt that Harrold would fetch us much but the Islanders are looking for D and I'd move him for a 4th rounder just to create some space. Teams will be looking for an offensive D man and we should be able to secure a 2nd rounder for Zids but hat's a deal that more likely gets made closer to the deadline. Gelinas adds some toughness to the D without the common penalties and defensive lapses from Zidlicky.

Volch has been pretty good and was solid last night. besides, no on will take that cntract. Could see the 7 d being Greene, Volch, Sal, Larsson, Gelinas, Fayne, and Harrold/Merrill.
Merrill should not stay this year.

When all is healthy, Greene, Gelinas, and Zidlicky will give us enough offense spread over three pairings. Merrill is still very raw, and needs more time to develop. If we rush him now, I think we're going to run into the same problem we had with Larsson after his rookie year, and have to refocus on defense.

Zippy316 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 11:24 AM
  #139
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,573
vCash: 500
Merrill has been better than Gelinas defensively so far.

Merrill is also very god offensively.

What more seasoning does he need? He was tearing up the A. Let him play here.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 11:30 AM
  #140
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,705
vCash: 500
Using what barometer is that statement made?

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 11:32 AM
  #141
SteveCangialosi123
Registered User
 
SteveCangialosi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
Merrill has been better than Gelinas defensively so far.

Merrill is also very god offensively.

What more seasoning does he need? He was tearing up the A. Let him play here.
He has been good. But I'd rather him be down playing 25+ minutes a night polishing his penalty killing and power play skills. When Larsson and Sal are back I doubt that Merrill would play more than 15 minutes a night if he's in the lineup at all. An extra year in the A NEVER hurts and usually helps greatly.

And regardless of if Merrill's d has been better than Gelly's, Gelly's shot alone keeps him on this team. It is a game changer.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 11:37 AM
  #142
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!
 
ThePSEGPowerPoster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
He has been good. But I'd rather him be down playing 25+ minutes a night polishing his penalty killing and power play skills. When Larsson and Sal are back I doubt that Merrill would play more than 15 minutes a night if he's in the lineup at all. An extra year in the A NEVER hurts and usually helps greatly.

And regardless of if Merrill's d has been better than Gelly's, Gelly's shot alone keeps him on this team. It is a game changer.
I want them all up here. Fayne needs to gtfo. Harrold needs to gtfo. One of Volch and Sal (preferably Sal) needs to gtfo.

Larsson - Greene
Merrill - Gelinas
Zidlicky - Volchenkov


ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
  #143
MichaelJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 500
I'd like to see Merrill stay up, I don't see a problem with him developing his game at the NHL level. I think 15-20 minutes pg against the best competition would be better for him than 25 against players he's clearly better than. Confidence is not a problem for this kid.

Severson is also at almost a point pg in the WHL. I could see him being ready at some point during the 14-15 season. The nucleus of Merrill, Gelinas, Larsson, and Severson would all be up together. That's 4 plus Salvador who won't be going anywhere. Sal would probably be a solid pairing for Severdon - L/R and defense/offense. Plus Sal's veteran influence would probably help the kid along, especially on a 3rd pairing where there'd be less pressure.

Would anyone be interested in signing Dan Girardi in the offseason to pair with Merrill? He's RH to compliment Merrill's LH and is more defensively oriented. I'd like to see the Devils add a D in his prime to play with the young guns and Old Man River.

Merrill-Girardi
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Severson

The Rangers have a ton of Dmen and the Devils could afford to overpay with four D making rookie money.

MichaelJ is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 12:04 PM
  #144
HenriquesJawLine
Registered User
 
HenriquesJawLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Andy Greene>>>>Girardi

HenriquesJawLine is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 12:07 PM
  #145
Kensu
Registered User
 
Kensu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,011
vCash: 500
Dan Girardi has been a disaster ever since Tortorella left and I don't see Severson in the NHL till 2015-2016 at earliest so Salvador probably won't be around.

Kensu is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 12:13 PM
  #146
Devils1029
Registered User
 
Devils1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,282
vCash: 500
So what kind of money and term do you think we resign Larsson for? I'm saying either a two year "show-me" kind of deal for 1.25-1.5 mil per or else locking in for a longer term at a modest price, say 5 years at a cap hit averaging 3 million per (1.5/2.25/2.75/3.5/5.0).

Devils1029 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 12:28 PM
  #147
SteveCangialosi123
Registered User
 
SteveCangialosi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePSEGPowerPoster View Post
I want them all up here. Fayne needs to gtfo. Harrold needs to gtfo. One of Volch and Sal (preferably Sal) needs to gtfo.

Larsson - Greene
Merrill - Gelinas
Zidlicky - Volchenkov

That would be a nice d group but it aint happening most likely. It'll most likely be something like:

Greene-Zids
Gelly-Larsson
Sal-Fayne/Volch

We need to trade one or two of Fayne, Harrold, Volch or Sal. Too many dime-a-dozen dmen. The new talented kids we have are really starting to show just how average a player Mark Fayne. He isn't getting a second round pick, there's no question about it. 3rd at the most.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 12:28 PM
  #148
Buckingham Claude*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Rod Farva View Post
Can we give Volchencov some love here? He's been pretty ****ing good this season
No. He has showed me enough of what he is capable of over the years.

Buckingham Claude* is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 12:29 PM
  #149
SteveCangialosi123
Registered User
 
SteveCangialosi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
So what kind of money and term do you think we resign Larsson for? I'm saying either a two year "show-me" kind of deal for 1.25-1.5 mil per or else locking in for a longer term at a modest price, say 5 years at a cap hit averaging 3 million per (1.5/2.25/2.75/3.5/5.0).
I don't see how on earth he could get much more than 3 mil a year. That sounds about right.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline  
Old
12-01-2013, 01:24 PM
  #150
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 39,837
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 4s
#NJDevils have placed Adam Larsson on injured reserve and recalled Tim Sestito. Sestito has 13 points and 28PIMs in 21 games w/ Albany.


lol.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.