HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey related injuries

Old
12-01-2013, 03:56 AM
kiddynamite91

vCash: 368
Hockey related injuries

My first game of the year in my first year of bantam, I delivered a pretty big hit, the other guys helmet slammed into my helmet, the wires on my cage bent in and cut my eyebrow open... that got me 2 stitches.
3 or 4 years ago at the ODR we had a decent game going with 2 goalies, I was going to the net looking for a pass and a guy on the other team tried to hack at the puck and ended up giving me a 2 hander in the face. Broke a tooth, had to get a couple others fixed, 4 stitches on my lip and 3 more above my lip. A few months after that I was playing street hockey with some buddies, my goalie tried to clear the ball and on the follow through caught me right above the eye with his stick, resulting in 3 stitches on my eyelid. The winter after this, I was at the ODR and while trying to block a pass, the puck ramped up off my stick and hit me in the mouth... luckily I was wearing a mouth guard (thanks to my parents and girlfriend nagging me) so no severe damage to the teeth but I had another 3 stitches on my upper lip.
Thankfully, I haven't had any hockey related injuries lately.
Anyone else wanna share? Hopefully I'm not the only one with so many random injuries...

Last edited by kiddynamite91: 12-01-2013 at 04:08 AM.
kiddynamite91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:20 AM
mbhhofr

vCash: 500
I refereed high school hockey with a guy who was a puck and stick magnet. He had no anticipation at all. Whenever I had a game assignment with him, I would say to my wife as I was leaving for the game, "I wonder what's going to happen to Paul tonight?"

This was back in the 1970's before officials wore helmets. He started wearing a helmet with a full face wire mask. He cut a hole where the mouth was so that he could get his whistle through it.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
I refereed high school hockey with a guy who was a puck and stick magnet. He had no anticipation at all.
... A great many players like that as well of course. Just zero anticipation. No critical thought whatsoever. That if object A hits object B and then hits C you just might wanna get out of the way or duck or whatever. Like avoid it. Referee's as well though the testosterone certainly gets chugging along at times arent in exactly the same head space as players who in a lot of cases are completely unaware that theyve even been injured or cut. I can remember several times after a game & getting undressed, taking off the goalie pads & skates, noticing a substantial amount of blood on the back of my sock & into the skate boot itself, cut obviously but when? No idea. One time for like 12 stitches. Nearly passed out at the sight of it. Limping off to Emergency because you need a shot to go with... a finger on your catching hand that for some reason is absolutely numb, swollen to twice its size, the knuckle bruised black. When did that happen?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 04:13 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Like avoid it. Referee's as well though the testosterone certainly gets chugging along at times arent in exactly the same head space as players who in a lot of cases are completely unaware that theyve even been injured or cut. I can remember several times after a game & getting undressed, taking off the goalie pads & skates, noticing a substantial amount of blood on the back of my sock & into the skate boot itself, cut obviously but when? No idea.
There were times that I would find a bruise on my body, the day after a game and not know how it got there.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
There were times that I would find a bruise on my body, the day after a game and not know how it got there.
Yea, it's always like, "Do I have leukemia or did I play hockey?"

Speaking of bruises, my favorite non-injury was when a teammate tried to pass the puck to me and instead nailed me hard on the inside of my lower leg. It didn't really hurt though so I gave no mind to it.

As I was getting unchanged, I noticed that for the first time ever, I put my shin guards on the wrong legs. So my calf protector wrapped around the inside of my leg and not the outside like it should. That probably saved me from a nasty bruise.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 06:32 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Worst ones ever, short-term, for me were my broken feet.. I've broken my right foot three times playing hockey, and my left foot potentially once. I've also broken ribs and fingers. Oh, and potentially partially torn ulnar collateral ligament and labral tear in my hip, the former of which I still need to get an MRI.

The worst PAIN ever was definitely taking a slapper in the trachea.. imagine heart burn but 100x worse, and it won't go away. It was insane. Thought for sure I had broken it.

But long-term the worst is that I have four bulging discs in my neck, two bulging discs in my back, and a "diseased" disc that might end up rupturing in my lower back, all from hockey. This has actually gotten a little worse as of late now that I'm off of my pain meds for the potential ulnar collateral ligament tear. Probably need to go back for that one again, too.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:47 PM
kiddynamite91

vCash: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Worst ones ever, short-term, for me were my broken feet.. I've broken my right foot three times playing hockey, and my left foot potentially once. I've also broken ribs and fingers. Oh, and potentially partially torn ulnar collateral ligament and labral tear in my hip, the former of which I still need to get an MRI.

The worst PAIN ever was definitely taking a slapper in the trachea.. imagine heart burn but 100x worse, and it won't go away. It was insane. Thought for sure I had broken it.

But long-term the worst is that I have four bulging discs in my neck, two bulging discs in my back, and a "diseased" disc that might end up rupturing in my lower back, all from hockey. This has actually gotten a little worse as of late now that I'm off of my pain meds for the potential ulnar collateral ligament tear. Probably need to go back for that one again, too.
Yikes, that sounds brutal! Have you considered non-surgical spinal decompression for the bulging discs? I had a bulging disc in my lower back after a car accident, physio and spinal decompression took care of that pretty quickly.

kiddynamite91 is offline   Reply With Quote