HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2013, 09:10 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
How tall are you and what do you weigh? Are you looking for an intermediate 65 flex? Senior sticks are generally taller and come in 75 flex if that would work for you.

Otherwise, purchase a butt end to go along with your intermediate stick and it will be fine. Hell, some NHL players do that anyway because they like the feel of the wood.
I'm pretty sure Brent Seabrook does this

Old
11-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Watch for the Yeti

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
How tall are you and what do you weigh? Are you looking for an intermediate 65 flex? Senior sticks are generally taller and come in 75 flex if that would work for you.

Otherwise, purchase a butt end to go along with your intermediate stick and it will be fine. Hell, some NHL players do that anyway because they like the feel of the wood.
I'm 5'10" 110. Since I am in a weird situation I have to go with what I can get and I am going to have to settle with intermediate.

Old
11-30-2013, 02:08 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
This. Quick release/accuracy>>
Seconded. First and foremost put it where you want. Then work on adding power.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:20 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
I'm 5'10" 110. Since I am in a weird situation I have to go with what I can get and I am going to have to settle with intermediate.
Some int sticks are 57.5" (for sure the int reebok 20K), I think Warrior has int sticks at 58-60". Not sure how long or what your budget is but you do have options unless you play a super long stick.

Last edited by jazzykat: 11-30-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old
11-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
I currently have an 87 flex Reebok 11k but I'm in the market for a new stick, probably Easton since I loved my S19 and RS's are only $169 around me.

Anyway I'm thinking about going down to a 75 flex. I'm a small winger that likes to get shots off quick. I mainly take snap shots and wristers and I'm thinking decreasing my flex might give me an extra advantage.

thoughts?

Old
11-30-2013, 07:50 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

Need a back up stick and I can't decide between the 11k and U+ Crazy Light.

I've never had a Reebok or CCM stick so I don't know too much about them.

I've also been thinking of getting the Mako2 but I don't know about its durability, I want something that'll last awhile.

Old
11-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post
Need a back up stick and I can't decide between the 11k and U+ Crazy Light.

I've never had a Reebok or CCM stick so I don't know too much about them.

I've also been thinking of getting the Mako2 but I don't know about its durability, I want something that'll last awhile.
How much are you willing to spend?

Old
11-30-2013, 08:04 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
How much are you willing to spend?
Black Friday sale so the 11k and U+ CL come up to a bit over $100 each which I have no problem spending.

The mako 2 is $150 that I'd be okay with too but I read easton blades aren't that great when it comes to durability.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post
Black Friday sale so the 11k and U+ CL come up to a bit over $100 each which I have no problem spending.

The mako 2 is $150 that I'd be okay with too but I read easton blades aren't that great when it comes to durability.
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...7-grip-sr.html

Since you posted in the other thread (accidentally of course) that you had an NXG, I'd probably recommend this. I use NXGs as well (have a nexus that I hate) and this one.XX series is close in terms of feel. Plus I find Bauer sticks last a long time.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:44 PM
AIREAYE

Why would he buy a lower end stick online from the states if he's from Ontario? Bauer doesn't allow cross border shipping for its products.

kamosko, where are you located?

Old
11-30-2013, 08:48 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Why would he buy a lower end stick online from the states if he's from Ontario? Bauer doesn't allow cross border shipping for its products.

Northern Ontario

I'm using thehockeyshop.com to buy a pair of eq50 skates and looking for a stick, the 3 I listed seem to be the best in my price range $100-150 and I'd rather order both skates+stick from the same site.

Old
11-30-2013, 09:17 PM
AIREAYE

ahh I see. none if those sticks are going to be close to your NXG, but I find the 11K to offer a better kick and pop off your shots compared to the CL. The low kick helps in that regard.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:14 PM
CarpeNoctem
TKO Time

I liked the 11k too. Nice all around stick and I found some pro stocks really cheap.

Old
11-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:

I wasn't suggesting he use that site. Just that he look at a stick like that.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:45 AM
AIREAYE

It's tough to go to a lower end stick if you've been using high end before lol. Everything feels so heavy and unresponsive. Same with skates.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Shaun Bisson

Quote:
It's tough to go to a lower end stick if you've been using high end before lol. Everything feels so heavy and unresponsive. Same with skates.
Exact predicament I'm in with my skates haha.

Old
12-01-2013, 12:29 PM
DJ Breadman

Manufacturer's restrictions pissing anyone else off? You can save so much more money by ordering from the states but they won't ship anything anymore cause of manufacturers restrictions, I even got half mad at one person at an online store during a help live chat session. I was like so let me get this straight I want to give you money and you won't accept it? person was like we are not allowed, It's against the law I said. They where like no the manufacturer won't let us ship it, oh the manufacturer owns it? I thought you bought it from them and it was yours to do as you please with it. The person was like well it doesn't totally work like that, to which I said Sounds like a money making racket to me, and the person was like Yes it is, straight up admitted it.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Manufacturer's restrictions pissing anyone else off? You can save so much more money by ordering from the states but they won't ship anything anymore cause of manufacturers restrictions, I even got half mad at one person at an online store during a help live chat session. I was like so let me get this straight I want to give you money and you won't accept it? person was like we are not allowed, It's against the law I said. They where like no the manufacturer won't let us ship it, oh the manufacturer owns it? I thought you bought it from them and it was yours to do as you please with it. The person was like well it doesn't totally work like that, to which I said Sounds like a money making racket to me, and the person was like Yes it is, straight up admitted it.
Wait til we find out what Rogers has in store for its new monopoly powers.

Old
12-01-2013, 03:51 PM
AIREAYE

Calm down, they can't do anything about it... No need to get mad at the guy on the phone.

Old
12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
AIREAYE

Why don't you ask them what it is?

Old
12-01-2013, 05:02 PM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

Yeah a did but haven't got an email response yet, thought I'd post here and see if anyone knew.

Old
02-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Jonapaloma

I'm from sweden and I'm looking for a intermediate stick because I'm only 5′4" so a senior stick gets to stiff after I cut it. My problem though is that I want to buy a shaft so that I can change blades when they break, which they tend to do to frequently.

Another problem is that its almost impossible to find a shaft in Sweden that is intermediate. And I cant buy it from Canada or US either because they dont ship here.

I found a TPS intermediate shaft but I dont know which blades that fits into it. Someone with some knowledge about this?

Old
02-07-2014, 04:49 PM
The Kingslayer

Just got a Combat 52 Cal and wow this thing is light as hell. Reminds me of my Easton Stealth the very very first Easton stealth.

Old
03-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Weber6
Shea Weber

5'10" 115lbs can barely flex a 75 flex, yes you read that right. I need a good stick for ball hockey. Would intermediate be best? and what kind of curve is good for a ball hockey shooter? I usually stand in front of the goalie and play right wing.

Old
03-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Weber6
Shea Weber

Easton 55s (Black/Yellow) Intermediate with 65 flex and Hall curve for Ball Hockey. Thoughts?

Closed Thread