HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sat., Nov. 30, 2013| Flyers 3 at Predators 2 (1-0 SO)

Old
12-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Even if the Flyers had lost their last four games instead of winning all of them, Nashville would still have picked 4th. I think it's time to let that go.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Funf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Even if the Flyers had lost their last four games instead of winning all of them, Nashville would still have picked 4th. I think it's time to let that go.
Agreed. And who knows where Mase's head would be at at the start of this season if he hadn't had those few good games.

This was a frustrating game to watch. We're lucky the preds are missing some key guys.

Although, I thought Giroux looked really good tonight.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:39 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
I don't let things go like that just ask me how I feel about Michael Leighton. I meant more than the last 4 games it was something closer to the second half of the season. Which did matter. Besides I only bring it up becuase we played against him to night and he looks like a stud, and when was the last time we had a young stud defenseman? I'm sorry that I wish we had one.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I don't let things go like that just ask me how I feel about Michael Leighton. I meant more than the last 4 games it was something closer to the second half of the season. Which did matter. Besides I only bring it up becuase we played against him to night and he looks like a stud, and when was the last time we had a young stud defenseman? I'm sorry that I wish we had one.
Look on the bright side: this organization apparently grows stud centermen on trees. If we could draft d-men we might be dangerous.

Holmgren: Oh ****, I need to trade for "X". Time to go shake the center tree.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Funf

Meh, who needs Jones when we have Mez with his sick ass spin-o-rama's.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:10 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
Meh, who needs Jones when we have Mez with his sick ass spin-o-rama's.
that was a perfect pass and an amazing play for mez. he had a couple of good looks at the net tonight too and he can still shoot it.

but otherwise he is depressing to watch. i wonder if he'll ever get back to 100%. i'd settle for 80%.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:22 AM
Prongo
Beer

Pretty telling when the coach of the other team says they thought they could take advantage of our lack of footspeed. This team desperately needs speed and skill up front.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

The Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds line had a combined zero Shots on Goal this game.

I could only catch the first period of the game today but I'm guessing this line did next to nothing all game. How did Vinny get first star other than scoring the shootout goal?

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:43 AM
MadFerIt95*

Steve Mason

MadFerIt95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:44 AM
MadFerIt95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
The Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds line had a combined zero Shots on Goal this game.

I could only catch the first period of the game today but I'm guessing this line did next to nothing all game. How did Vinny get first star other than scoring the shootout goal?
The shootout goal was a cool deke?

MadFerIt95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:49 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I am happy that Luke Schenn did pretty well tonight. Even was able to keep up with Stalberg.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:24 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:

WHAT?!?!? But I was told to put Lecavalier on the first line because he can shoot even though both Hartnell and Voarcek have more shots than him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM95149 View Post
The shootout goal was a cool deke?
That deke was pretty great to be honest.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:26 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:

yeah, they didn't do anything, but this line has been the team's offensive weak link lately anyhow if you don't count the 4th line. they're bad getting out of their own zone and even worse in the neutral zone (simmonds especially). once they get the forecheck going they can be dangerous. it doesn't help that they're usually out there with the third pairing.

schenn also took a puck to the chin and missed a shift or two. lecavalier had a couple of shot attempts that were deflected out of play. nashville's d got their sticks on a lot of shots.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 05:48 AM
dats81

What a great way to wake up Sunday morning and watch the game recorded to see the boys win this in a shootout!

But holy crap is Nashville tough to play against or what? Big guys, skating well and can keep this up into and through overtime. When you are trailing against this team in the third you are almost doomed.
Could really sense the frustration when Flyers were generating chance after chance on the second PP but could not score.

Overtime was pretty weak though - either the Flyers were gassed or they just wanted this to end via SO... but Mason was there to save the day.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:35 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I wish people like you would quit crying about the fact the Flyers didn't tank. Sorry, but this isn't Pittsburgh. If they had wanted to tank they would have just stuck with Bryzgalov down the stretch, but they didn't, they traded for Mason and let him rediscover his game. And I would rather have a rejuvenated Mason plus Morin than just Seth Jones.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
Quote:

Schenn is the only one of the three who is defensively competent as well. Every now and again he tries to get too cute, but overall is pretty solid.

Simmonds tries but gets in messes too much.

Lecavalier has so little defensive awareness it is bizarre... for a guy with seemingly a pretty good hockey IQ overall.

Thinking about it I may well say they are the worst two defensively of our top 9.

Couturier

Read

Downie & Giroux

Voracek, Schenn & Hartnell

Simmonds

Lecavalier

Would be pretty much how I would peg them, the middle 5 could be in any of the middle two brackets though tbf, and it changes night to night seemingly! Especially as Jake seemingly gave up back-checking for November when he has been very solid since getting here.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Akanon

Some gifs for you guys. The file sizes are quite large so I put them behind these links:

Couturier's goal

a-MASE-ing shootout save, 1

a-MASE-ing shootout save, 2

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Flyerss

anyone got a link to the video when Coatsey interviewed Mason and he didn't remove his mask?

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Some gifs for you guys. The file sizes are quite large so I put them behind these links:

Couturier's goal

a-MASE-ing shootout save, 1

a-MASE-ing shootout save, 2
you should create a thread and put them there, would be great looking at them back 1-2 years later.

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
anyone got a link to the video when Coatsey interviewed Mason and he didn't remove his mask?
He removed it but did so pretty slowly.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:46 PM
pacehimself

I noticed him sitting there and coatesy telling him to take the mask off and it reminded me of something bryz would do....thank god thats been the only comparison

pacehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:47 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Schenn is the only one of the three who is defensively competent as well. Every now and again he tries to get too cute, but overall is pretty solid.

Lecavalier has so little defensive awareness it is bizarre... for a guy with seemingly a pretty good hockey IQ overall.

Thinking about it I may well say they are the worst two defensively of our top 9.

Couturier

Read

Downie & Giroux

Simmonds

Lecavalier

Would be pretty much how I would peg them, the middle 5 could be in any of the middle two brackets though tbf, and it changes night to night seemingly! Especially as Jake seemingly gave up back-checking for November when he has been very solid since getting here.
Yeah, it really is night to night with some of these guys. I remember thinking how underrated G was defensively at ES then you see him at times just stand back and watch opposing players do their thing in his zone. Same goes for Voracek, he used to use his speed to back check now he just seems too lazy to even try. Ditto for the offensive zone in recent games though, maybe he tweaked something?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

Couturier

Read

Downie & Giroux

Simmonds

Lecavalier

I feel like everyone outside of the Couturier line who plays in the top six ranges from average or mediocre defensively to poor defensively. None of them really excel in two-way play or have any notoriety for it like Read or Couturier do.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Why should we let it go, people on here still whinge about ancient history like signing Leighton, trading Upshall, picking Klotz and not drafting Jagr over Ricci (guilty!)...

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Pretty telling when the coach of the other team says they thought they could take advantage of our lack of footspeed. This team desperately needs speed and skill up front.
And just as telling that they failed to do so. The Flyers aren't as slow as some coaches think. A couple of our D are slow (Grossmann, Schenn, Timonen, Meszaros) but they make up for it with good positioning and hitting. Not many of the forwards are really slow. We do need to upgrade the speed, which is why I want Raffl in the lineup all the time.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote