HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

USA WJC Team Prediction 2013-2014

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2013, 07:28 PM
  #201
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Any thoughts on some "surprise" invites to the Dec. camp? Cole Cassels? Cameron Darcy?
Darcy seems like the most logical off-the-board pick with his USAH history but I don't think his stat line is probably nearly as impressive as it may indicate.

I'm not sure if there any strong candidates for "surprise" invites at this point. I think it's more likely some mid-summer camp cuts (like DeAngelo) will get back in play but there are always surprises so I'll be interested to see who they are come December. I think the Boston College trio (Cangelosi, Fitzgerald, Calnan) are some to watch but that team needs to right its ship soon for them to likely get in play.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 11:33 AM
  #202
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Any thoughts on some "surprise" invites to the Dec. camp? Cole Cassels? Cameron Darcy?
as funny as it sounds you have to consider Nick Ebert a viable option at this point. I have caught 3 games with the Spitfires this year and I have to say he has improved in his own end. he has a number of players ahead of him but if Sieloff can't get healthy, a kid with his experience could fit in.

also good for Cam Darcy. I always felt he should have gotten drafted and is starting to finally put together some solid numbers. it is not easy to step into the Q as an American and lead your team in scoring so far your first year. he has to be in consideration at this point.

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 12:32 PM
  #203
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
I would also keep an eye on Connor Hurley as well. Kid is off to a nice start to the season. He isn't dominating the USHL, but he has been very solid so far. Him and Schmaltz are two wildcards from the USHL.

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 03:42 PM
  #204
HejdasGonnaHate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Any thoughts on some "surprise" invites to the Dec. camp? Cole Cassels? Cameron Darcy?
Chase De Leo?

HejdasGonnaHate is offline  
Old
11-05-2013, 07:43 PM
  #205
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,527
vCash: 500
Good call on the Cassels pick, Rabid. He's on an absolute tear right now and I would imagine he's put himself in line for an invite unless he goes ice cold here soon. It is helpful as well that he's a center since that position is wide open and a guy I think USAH was hopeful on stepping up and grabbing a spot (Lodge) has been battling injuries all year (not to mention at the summer camp) and is likely out of the running by now.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 02:59 PM
  #206
Akipa
HFB Partner
 
Akipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Here's a breakdown of the Team USA forward group:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/11/...-usa-forwards/

Akipa is offline  
Old
11-13-2013, 04:51 PM
  #207
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne
 
Oberyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
With the great start that Vannelli is off to, what do you guys think are his chances to make the team? And if so, in what capacity do you guys seem him as? Top 4, or primarily as a PP specialist?

Oberyn is online now  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:58 PM
  #208
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,527
vCash: 500
The December Camp roster should be released in 2-3 weeks. My current prediction is based partly on what I want to see combined with what I think will happen. The last two years they brought 15 forwards, 9 d-men, and 3 goalies to the final camp so I'll use that breakdown to choose my camp roster. I'll revisit my prediction right before the official announcement to see what changes, if any, I'd make.


Forwards (x15):

Riley Barber
Taylor Cammarata
J.T. Compher
Andrew Copp
Cameron Darcy
Thomas Di Pauli
Jack Eichel
Adam Erne
Hudson Fasching
Ryan Hartman
Nic Kerdiles
Stefan Matteau
Danny O'Regan
Henrik Samuelsson
Quentin Shore

Defense (x9):

Will Butcher
Connor Carrick
Anthony DeAngelo
Anthony Florentino
Matt Grzelcyk
Ian McCoshen
Steven Santini
Patrick Sieloff
Brady Skjei

Goalies (x3):

Thatcher Demko
Jon Gillies
Anthony Stolarz

Notes:
  • The only forward picks I'm not terribly confident about are Compher, Darcy, and Di Pauli. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them left off. I think USAH was hoping for more offensive production out of Compher to start the year but he's a versatile and tenacious forward who could play a variety of roles on the team. Darcy is the "surprise" pick that often happens but I'm not sure he's progressed nearly as much as his QMJHL stats may imply. I'd probably lean more towards a guy like Cole Cassels but I think USAH would lean toward the older player that came through their system instead. Di Pauli is targeted for the "grind" line but he's missed a lot of time so far this season (just returned tonight) so he'll have to reacquaint himself quickly, especially since there are others that would fit on the grind line so if USAH sees that line differently now they could opt for a different type of player here.
  • I left Michael McCarron off because I don't think USAH can overlook his slow start with London. There's no excuse for a guy of his size to not be doing better in the OHL offensively. He had a good summer camp and looked to be on his way to solidifying his spot given the upward progression of his game over the past year but I don't know if he's even done enough to come back to camp at this point.
  • It's a shame Vincent Hinostroza just got injured because I think he was playing his way into camp despite being a summer camp cut. He's leading the Irish in points and reminds me a lot of Cole Bardreau from last year's team but with more offensive talent. With a 2-4 week timeline on his injury, he'd likely need to come back early and play for Notre Dame in their weekend pair to close out November to prove he's healthy.
  • The only d-men I wouldn't be surprised to be left off would be DeAngelo and Florentino. DeAngelo was cut at the summer camp but I don't think they can ignore his offensive ability with the scoring-by-committee approach they're likely to take. This is a group that will have some solid defensive options where they can afford to gamble on a gambler for the #6/7 d-man spot. Florentino has had a great start to his freshman year and is a bigger player that can skate. I think he's the "surprise" pick here. If Sieloff isn't healthy in time I'd sub in Brett Pesce in his spot.
  • It won't happen but I would approve of Stolarz staying home and Nedeljkovic being the other goalie pick. It's not an indictment of Stolarz but barring a major letdown, it's Gillies' net and no one else should see any time there outside of possible mop-up duty. With that, I'd rather bring two goalies with future eligibility along to prep them for the future. But I doubt USAH would do that and they'll default to Demko as he's older and has a history with the NTDP.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
  #209
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
The December Camp roster should be released in 2-3 weeks. My current prediction is based partly on what I want to see combined with what I think will happen. The last two years they brought 15 forwards, 9 d-men, and 3 goalies to the final camp so I'll use that breakdown to choose my camp roster. I'll revisit my prediction right before the official announcement to see what changes, if any, I'd make.


Forwards (x15):

Riley Barber
Taylor Cammarata
J.T. Compher
Andrew Copp
Cameron Darcy
Thomas Di Pauli
Jack Eichel
Adam Erne
Hudson Fasching
Ryan Hartman
Nic Kerdiles
Stefan Matteau
Danny O'Regan
Henrik Samuelsson
Quentin Shore

Defense (x9):

Will Butcher
Connor Carrick
Anthony DeAngelo
Anthony Florentino
Matt Grzelcyk
Ian McCoshen
Steven Santini
Patrick Sieloff
Brady Skjei

Goalies (x3):

Thatcher Demko
Jon Gillies
Anthony Stolarz

Notes:
  • The only forward picks I'm not terribly confident about are Compher, Darcy, and Di Pauli. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them left off. I think USAH was hoping for more offensive production out of Compher to start the year but he's a versatile and tenacious forward who could play a variety of roles on the team. Darcy is the "surprise" pick that often happens but I'm not sure he's progressed nearly as much as his QMJHL stats may imply. I'd probably lean more towards a guy like Cole Cassels but I think USAH would lean toward the older player that came through their system instead. Di Pauli is targeted for the "grind" line but he's missed a lot of time so far this season (just returned tonight) so he'll have to reacquaint himself quickly, especially since there are others that would fit on the grind line so if USAH sees that line differently now they could opt for a different type of player here.
  • I left Michael McCarron off because I don't think USAH can overlook his slow start with London. There's no excuse for a guy of his size to not be doing better in the OHL offensively. He had a good summer camp and looked to be on his way to solidifying his spot given the upward progression of his game over the past year but I don't know if he's even done enough to come back to camp at this point.
  • It's a shame Vincent Hinostroza just got injured because I think he was playing his way into camp despite being a summer camp cut. He's leading the Irish in points and reminds me a lot of Cole Bardreau from last year's team but with more offensive talent. With a 2-4 week timeline on his injury, he'd likely need to come back early and play for Notre Dame in their weekend pair to close out November to prove he's healthy.
  • The only d-men I wouldn't be surprised to be left off would be DeAngelo and Florentino. DeAngelo was cut at the summer camp but I don't think they can ignore his offensive ability with the scoring-by-committee approach they're likely to take. This is a group that will have some solid defensive options where they can afford to gamble on a gambler for the #6/7 d-man spot. Florentino has had a great start to his freshman year and is a bigger player that can skate. I think he's the "surprise" pick here. If Sieloff isn't healthy in time I'd sub in Brett Pesce in his spot.
  • It won't happen but I would approve of Stolarz staying home and Nedeljkovic being the other goalie pick. It's not an indictment of Stolarz but barring a major letdown, it's Gillies' net and no one else should see any time there outside of possible mop-up duty. With that, I'd rather bring two goalies with future eligibility along to prep them for the future. But I doubt USAH would do that and they'll default to Demko as he's older and has a history with the NTDP.
What are the chances demko is left off and nedeljkovic is on since demko really hasn't played much this year?

bigbadbruins7 is offline  
Old
11-22-2013, 12:14 PM
  #210
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
What are the chances demko is left off and nedeljkovic is on since demko really hasn't played much this year?
I don't think relative lack of playing time is an issue. Demko is a USA Hockey fave and an excellent pro prospect who stands a great chance of being the starter next year. I think he makes it the team this year as the 3rd keeper. The question is who does the U.S. take to back up Gillies? Stolarz or Nedeljkovic?

Rabid Ranger is online now  
Old
12-01-2013, 02:10 PM
  #211
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
canada releasing their selection camp roster tomorrow it looks like. any date for the USA yet?

bigbadbruins7 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.