HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHL signs 12-year TV, Internet deal with Rogers | 22 Habs Games on TVA/TVA Sport

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2013, 08:43 PM
  #876
DJ Breadman
Registered User
 
DJ Breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 500
So I have bell fibre op internet/tv/phone bundle, i'm assuming rodgers is going to be *******s about this and make me switch to rogers cable?

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 10:36 PM
  #877
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,344
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
So I have bell fibre op internet/tv/phone bundle, i'm assuming rodgers is going to be *******s about this and make me switch to rogers cable?
Not so sure about that. Ultimately Rogers will make money off of advertising. The ratings will drive the price they can set. It doesn't matter whether it's Bell, Rogers, Shaw etc. carrying the game.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 10:42 PM
  #878
BigHabs
Registered User
 
BigHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
So I have bell fibre op internet/tv/phone bundle, i'm assuming rodgers is going to be *******s about this and make me switch to rogers cable?
Its just owned by Rogers. I am in the same boat.

You will still have access to your sportsnets, CBC, TVA, and CityTV where the games will be played. They stated you might have to pay a fee of like $5-6 a month to have all Canadian access with no blackouts for like Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and such. Or a bit more to get full access.

But you'll have access from whatever provider your with as long as you have access to those channels which are in the basic package.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 11:11 PM
  #879
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,836
vCash: 500
TSN = 76-77 Montreal Canadiens (Best talent, best analysis, most knowledge)
Sportsnet = 76-77 Caliifornia Golden Seals (worse in every way and games Ive seen are not even in HD)

A real Travisty!!!!

Betteman chases the all mighty dollar and pays lip service to the true knowledgable hockey fan!

PATHETIC!

TSN ... You will be missed!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 04:26 AM
  #880
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Yea but imagine if Quebecor get the other 60 games, they won't have enough money for the Nords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Interesting thing how it's revealed that Quebecor has paid 120 million but per year. Total amount for 12 years, 1.5 Billion.

I wonder what they'll do with the Nords.
Don't know why you keep saying this, do you not think they are in this to make a profit? Do you think this is just a large expense with no return?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 06:38 AM
  #881
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
TSN = 76-77 Montreal Canadiens (Best talent, best analysis, most knowledge)
Sportsnet = 76-77 Caliifornia Golden Seals (worse in every way and games Ive seen are not even in HD)

A real Travisty!!!!

Betteman chases the all mighty dollar and pays lip service to the true knowledgable hockey fan!

PATHETIC!

TSN ... You will be missed!!
Of course Bettman will chase the dollars. That's part of his job. More money out of TV deals means more Hockey Related Revenues, which basically means more money for everyone in the NHL..

What Bettman did is good for the NHL.

It's bad for TSN, which means it's bad for Bell, but most of the guys you see on TSN will get jobs for rogers/ctv and you'll see them there. The good thing for them is that they have 12 years guaranteed to make their product better.
I might be in the minority, but I'm glad this was done. Not for TSN, they had a solid programming, and they will keep having one as long as they keep their personnel.
But for RDS, I always felt they put forth a very mediocre product because they had no competition. I mean, morons like freaking Michel Bergeron being used on a daily basis to analyze games??...I can name 10 posters from here without blinking for a second that would do a better job.
Nothing wrong with competition. It only increases the quality of the product.


On a side note, I know someone that worked for RDS, and he had a falling out with them for some seriously stupid reasons, and they tried pinning it on him. I don't want to venture into it but it's some seriously high school drama Bull to da freaking shat. So I'm glad they lost their exclusivity rights. Screw them. I hope TVA will get Claude Quenneville back, he was good. Much better than Houde.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 06:40 AM
  #882
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Don't know why you keep saying this, do you not think they are in this to make a profit? Do you think this is just a large expense with no return?
Exactly...
I find it's similar to people I talked to when Molson bought the Habs and they said he paid too much, as if he didn't go over the financial quarterly reports of the team..
As if Molson would pay half a billion if he was going to lose money, or just break even..

These guys have multi-multi-multi millions for reasons, bad business decision isn't one of them.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 04:28 PM
  #883
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Don't know why you keep saying this, do you not think they are in this to make a profit? Do you think this is just a large expense with no return?
I'm saying if they spend 1.5 billion for Habs games, are they going to want to invest as much in the Nords?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 07:13 PM
  #884
Montreal Typical
Registered User
 
Montreal Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I'm saying if they spend 1.5 billion for Habs games, are they going to want to invest as much in the Nords?
There are no Nordiques. Quebecor is not going to base its business decisions on the hope that the NHL may someday be remotely interested in bringing a team to Quebec.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 08:42 PM
  #885
thom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
You could be right but a city the size of Quebec City is not going to spend 420 million dollar arena without knowledge of nhl club

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:57 PM
  #886
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 500
What's up with Kypreos on CBC? First cut after the big deal?

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 11:58 PM
  #887
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Algeria
Posts: 13,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
What's up with Kypreos on CBC? First cut after the big deal?
yeah I was like WTF

But then I remembered that Friedmann is on SN once in a while

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:18 AM
  #888
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
yeah I was like WTF

But then I remembered that Friedmann is on SN once in a while
True. But that is ongoing for ages.

It just seemed really odd to me. You never see Kypreos on CBC.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 09:38 AM
  #889
Adamcrazy3
Registered User
 
Adamcrazy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fes, Morocco
Country: Morocco
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
You could be right but a city the size of Quebec City is not going to spend 420 million dollar arena without knowledge of nhl club
So the city of Quebec is now the one deciding if NHL comes backs to QC city?

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:04 AM
  #890
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 611
1) Canada isn't a democracy it's a Republic (a democracy is people governing, think Switzerland; a Republic is when people elect others to represent them in government which those elected do whatever they want).
2)Rogers has a monopoly.
3)Rogers now has no right to complain if another telcom company enters the foray as this proves they make an abundant amount of money that they could spend $6 billion in less then 2 years (1 year 3 months).
4)The cost of watching tv will go up as Rogers will pass on the saving to all their customers (and don't think otherwise).
5)Rogers stated that they needed a year to make changes regarding new mobile regulations after all providers were given 6 months (no fine has been imposed as of yet).
6)Rogers still claims that SAF fees are government issued even though the CRTC has stated countless times that it isn't.

Honestly it's time, we as Canadians push for reform of our government/policies/government entities as this is going to be the start of things worse for our country.

For starters: Bell, Rogers shouldn't be allowed to bid on any spectrum for a while (seeing how they were given spectrum FOR FREE prior to Telus, and Fido entering the market.
Telecom shouldn't be allowed to monopolize media at all (they shouldn't be allowed to own pretty much every magazine/newspaper/tv station in the country). Bell and Rogers control pretty much anything that has to do with media.

I don't care who won the NHL rights this is a matter of fair and competent competition. This has nothing to do with the Conservatives as they wanted to strip the CRTC of all their powers back in 2008 and hand them over to the Competition Bureau. This has to do with the corruption of a government entity that is supposed to protect the interest of Canadians when it comes to media.

If I were a client of anything Rogers I'd be on the phone demanding lower prices as Rogers surely has enough money to reduce MY costs if they have the money to spend $6 billion less then 2 years AND pay the entry fee to bid on what could be the most expensive spectrum auction in Canadian history (700mhz offers deeper penetration into builds and requires less equipment to cover the same area).

Thank you CRTC for allowing a monopoly into our society.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:40 AM
  #891
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
Its just owned by Rogers. I am in the same boat.

You will still have access to your sportsnets, CBC, TVA, and CityTV where the games will be played. They stated you might have to pay a fee of like $5-6 a month to have all Canadian access with no blackouts for like Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and such. Or a bit more to get full access.

But you'll have access from whatever provider your with as long as you have access to those channels which are in the basic package.
No there is still blackouts, just not wednesday saturday and sunday.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:41 AM
  #892
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
True. But that is ongoing for ages.

It just seemed really odd to me. You never see Kypreos on CBC.
Cheery even mentioned Rogers. Think he knows where his bread will be buttered.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 12:53 PM
  #893
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
1) Canada isn't a democracy it's a Republic (a democracy is people governing, think Switzerland; a Republic is when people elect others to represent them in government which those elected do whatever they want).
2)Rogers has a monopoly.
3)Rogers now has no right to complain if another telcom company enters the foray as this proves they make an abundant amount of money that they could spend $6 billion in less then 2 years (1 year 3 months).
4)The cost of watching tv will go up as Rogers will pass on the saving to all their customers (and don't think otherwise).
5)Rogers stated that they needed a year to make changes regarding new mobile regulations after all providers were given 6 months (no fine has been imposed as of yet).
6)Rogers still claims that SAF fees are government issued even though the CRTC has stated countless times that it isn't.

Honestly it's time, we as Canadians push for reform of our government/policies/government entities as this is going to be the start of things worse for our country.

For starters: Bell, Rogers shouldn't be allowed to bid on any spectrum for a while (seeing how they were given spectrum FOR FREE prior to Telus, and Fido entering the market.
Telecom shouldn't be allowed to monopolize media at all (they shouldn't be allowed to own pretty much every magazine/newspaper/tv station in the country). Bell and Rogers control pretty much anything that has to do with media.

I don't care who won the NHL rights this is a matter of fair and competent competition. This has nothing to do with the Conservatives as they wanted to strip the CRTC of all their powers back in 2008 and hand them over to the Competition Bureau. This has to do with the corruption of a government entity that is supposed to protect the interest of Canadians when it comes to media.

If I were a client of anything Rogers I'd be on the phone demanding lower prices as Rogers surely has enough money to reduce MY costs if they have the money to spend $6 billion less then 2 years AND pay the entry fee to bid on what could be the most expensive spectrum auction in Canadian history (700mhz offers deeper penetration into builds and requires less equipment to cover the same area).

Thank you CRTC for allowing a monopoly into our society.
I don't see the case for more government regulation anywhere here.

At one time there was no Rogers, no Telus, no Fido, no Wind. Only Bell. That was a monopoly. What you are describing can best be described as an oligopoly.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:03 PM
  #894
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,837
vCash: 200
All the CRTC does it ensure that sublicensing fees are equal to all clients purchasing. Rogers can essentially jack up the price as much as they like as long as they bleed everyone equally.

Essentially we have a spineless regulatory agency with no power run by employees put in place by Rogers/Bell. What's even the point of having a conflict of interest act or competition act?

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:22 PM
  #895
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I don't see the case for more government regulation anywhere here.

At one time there was no Rogers, no Telus, no Fido, no Wind. Only Bell. That was a monopoly. What you are describing can best be described as an oligopoly.
When one company controls where people consume a type of entertainment it's a monopoly. When one company owns the biggest media outlets it's a monopoly. The oligopoly only exists with wireless and somewhat Internet/tv services.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
  #896
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Of course Bettman will chase the dollars. That's part of his job. More money out of TV deals means more Hockey Related Revenues, which basically means more money for everyone in the NHL..

What Bettman did is good for the NHL.

It's bad for TSN, which means it's bad for Bell, but most of the guys you see on TSN will get jobs for rogers/ctv and you'll see them there. The good thing for them is that they have 12 years guaranteed to make their product better.
I might be in the minority, but I'm glad this was done. Not for TSN, they had a solid programming, and they will keep having one as long as they keep their personnel.
But for RDS, I always felt they put forth a very mediocre product because they had no competition. I mean, morons like freaking Michel Bergeron being used on a daily basis to analyze games??...I can name 10 posters from here without blinking for a second that would do a better job.
Nothing wrong with competition. It only increases the quality of the product.


On a side note, I know someone that worked for RDS, and he had a falling out with them for some seriously stupid reasons, and they tried pinning it on him. I don't want to venture into it but it's some seriously high school drama Bull to da freaking shat. So I'm glad they lost their exclusivity rights. Screw them. I hope TVA will get Claude Quenneville back, he was good. Much better than Houde.
Sorry Kriss E, I have to disagree.
This is not good for the NHL because Canada is the NHL. Without our teams helping out the teams that should be moved up to Canada from cities where there is zero interest, there is no NHL.
Bottom line, TSN raised the bar in broadcasting and have done a great job. Going to Sportsnet, which I have on my package and is useless and inferior, is like the NHL going from ESPN to OLN. Oh yeah, the NHL did that too.
It will take years before we see a quality product like TSN delivered and meanwhile we'll be forced to experience a substandard product.
While I agree that competition is a great thing and ultimately delivers a better product, it doesn't apply here.
There is no competition because for the next 12 years we will only have one option. The only competition was in the bidding not the product delivery. Even if they lure away half the personnel from TSN, they don't have the talent to produce what TSN has in the past.
This was a stupid move because had Bettman tried, he could have had the same amount of money over the same term while carving up the pie to accommodate all players. This would have been the status quo in terms of quality and content and the NHL would have gotten what they wanted, which is more money and long term commitment.
Instead he went with American tactics of exclusivity for a product that is a hard sell in the US but an easy sell in Canada.
This could have been handled better and that would have been in the fans best interest. That translates to the NHL's best interest.
It's done now so it's a moot point but I don't have a good feeling about it. I never like a monopoly, it allows for an attitude that one doesn't have to improve. Sort of like the exclusivity RDS has that you lament so much. They didn't need to improve and now neither does Rogers.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:08 PM
  #897
LeHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Interesting thing how it's revealed that Quebecor has paid 120 million but per year. Total amount for 12 years, 1.5 Billion.

I wonder what they'll do with the Nords.
Source? I find this hard to believe since for this amount they could have purchased the Habs + setup a new franchise in Quebec.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:20 PM
  #898
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Sorry Kriss E, I have to disagree.
This is not good for the NHL because Canada is the NHL. Without our teams helping out the teams that should be moved up to Canada from cities where there is zero interest, there is no NHL.
Bottom line, TSN raised the bar in broadcasting and have done a great job. Going to Sportsnet, which I have on my package and is useless and inferior, is like the NHL going from ESPN to OLN. Oh yeah, the NHL did that too.
It will take years before we see a quality product like TSN delivered and meanwhile we'll be forced to experience a substandard product.
While I agree that competition is a great thing and ultimately delivers a better product, it doesn't apply here.
There is no competition because for the next 12 years we will only have one option. The only competition was in the bidding not the product delivery. Even if they lure away half the personnel from TSN, they don't have the talent to produce what TSN has in the past.
This was a stupid move because had Bettman tried, he could have had the same amount of money over the same term while carving up the pie to accommodate all players. This would have been the status quo in terms of quality and content and the NHL would have gotten what they wanted, which is more money and long term commitment.
Instead he went with American tactics of exclusivity for a product that is a hard sell in the US but an easy sell in Canada.
This could have been handled better and that would have been in the fans best interest. That translates to the NHL's best interest.
It's done now so it's a moot point but I don't have a good feeling about it. I never like a monopoly, it allows for an attitude that one doesn't have to improve. Sort of like the exclusivity RDS has that you lament so much. They didn't need to improve and now neither does Rogers.
In 2 years we won't even know or care which corporate name is behind the telecasts. Rogers didn't invest in hockey in the past because they had a small piece of the pie, now they will be the name brand in Canada. A recruiting blitz will no doubt bring talent to the network and production values will rise. Rogers will relish the poaching of big names from rivals, they have a chance to re-cast the NHL hockey product in Canada and pick and choose their people.

I for one am optimistic that a new formula awaits. There's already been talks about more in-depth player interviews , and I am tired of the Hot Stove and Coaches Corner. People speak today with fear like there is no room to improve hockey broadcasting in this country. I think change was overdue and I welcome it.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:25 PM
  #899
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
In 2 years we won't even know or care which corporate name is behind the telecasts. Rogers didn't invest in hockey in the past because they had a small piece of the pie, now they will be the name brand in Canada. A recruiting blitz will no doubt bring talent to the network and production values will rise. Rogers will relish the poaching of big names from rivals, they have a chance to re-cast the NHL hockey product in Canada and pick and choose their people.

I for one am optimistic that a new formula awaits. There's already been talks about more in-depth player interviews , and I am tired of the Hot Stove and Coaches Corner. People speak today with fear like there is no room to improve hockey broadcasting in this country. I think change was overdue and I welcome it.
There's nothing wrong with the format. Its the personnel that needs a refresh in some segments.

12 years is a long time. It will take a while but I'm sure that a lot of top talent will come over. Right now it's Mickey Mouse but it should get better.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 05:03 PM
  #900
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Sorry Kriss E, I have to disagree.
This is not good for the NHL because Canada is the NHL. Without our teams helping out the teams that should be moved up to Canada from cities where there is zero interest, there is no NHL.
Bottom line, TSN raised the bar in broadcasting and have done a great job. Going to Sportsnet, which I have on my package and is useless and inferior, is like the NHL going from ESPN to OLN. Oh yeah, the NHL did that too.
It will take years before we see a quality product like TSN delivered and meanwhile we'll be forced to experience a substandard product.
While I agree that competition is a great thing and ultimately delivers a better product, it doesn't apply here.
There is no competition because for the next 12 years we will only have one option. The only competition was in the bidding not the product delivery. Even if they lure away half the personnel from TSN, they don't have the talent to produce what TSN has in the past.
This was a stupid move because had Bettman tried, he could have had the same amount of money over the same term while carving up the pie to accommodate all players. This would have been the status quo in terms of quality and content and the NHL would have gotten what they wanted, which is more money and long term commitment.
Instead he went with American tactics of exclusivity for a product that is a hard sell in the US but an easy sell in Canada.
This could have been handled better and that would have been in the fans best interest. That translates to the NHL's best interest.
It's done now so it's a moot point but I don't have a good feeling about it. I never like a monopoly, it allows for an attitude that one doesn't have to improve. Sort of like the exclusivity RDS has that you lament so much. They didn't need to improve and now neither does Rogers.
Why do you think Rogers struck a deal with the CBC (NHL forced it my ass). In 4 years time HNIC will be on sportsnet as Rogers amalagamates into their network. The CBC President is sugar coating their deal. It's bad, really bad. For 60 years the CBC has generated revenue from hockey but now everything will go to Rogers, this cutting their revenue by 50%.

Rogers is now a political party. Get ready for 4 times the Rogers commericals on CBC.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.