HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting goalie stat II

Old
01-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Draft Dodger

vCash: 500
Interesting goalie stat II

the other day, I pointed out the difference in GAA when shorthanded, although unfortunately that gap has closed recently (Budaj is at 6.16, Theodore is at 8.90)

starting thinking about how Budaj seems to do a better job at playing with the lead, and thought I'd check to see if the numbers back that up. Like all my stats, these are unofficial...

Theodore: 447.8 minutes with the lead, 32 goals allowed = 4.29 GAA
Budaj: 372.2 minutes, 13 goals allowed = 2.10 GAA

Budaj's composure might be the aspect of his game I like the most...

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 09:59 AM
chiavsfan

But again, you can argue that the D pinches a lot better for Budaj than they do for Theo. I think yesterday's game just proved that with this D and PK, no lead is safe, no matter the goalie. The last two Dallas games come to mind. In both games the Avs had the lead, one game Budaj got no help and blew it, the same for the recent one with Theo

What I do see is that Budaj seems to make THE save, and smothers it most of the time...while Theo makes THE save, but leaves a juicy rebound

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 10:31 AM
koyo

A lot of people on the board argue that the D plays better for Budaj than they do for Theo. I'm not saying I disagree with that, but I would still like to have some stats to support it, so that it's not just something based on one's impression. I believe there's a lot more to it than that.

koyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 04:08 PM
ari1160

am a habs fan but i also love avs since 1995....soo when abby was traded it was the same story... when abby played.. no defence cared for him...even now when abby plays like lota ppl can tell habs defence plays way way better when huet is in net even thooo we get out shot... its always the "new guy" the only way to get support from your defence is to play at your best..not letting any softy...am a huge fan of theo but i'll say it... he still did not recover from last year... still lets in some stupid goals... he needs to find his game soon .... goalies like roy and brodeur, they dont need lota help from the defence because they are always have confidence, and coach is a big factor in this. which theo never got from Q. i remamber theo made like 40 saves but lost 3-2 or 2-1 and Q bench him for the next game. as for roy and brodeur even if they let in 6 goals the coach puts them in net to get back at it, which is also theo got from Q. am not saying theo is doing bad cuz of coach or the defence but there is a little factor for his sloppy plays.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Draft Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
i remamber theo made like 40 saves but lost 3-2 or 2-1 and Q bench him for the next game.
perhaps you are remambering a different season, because that hasn't happened this year.

as per the defensive support...the best way I can think to quantify it is SA. Theodore IS averaging more shots per 60 minutes - 30.6 vs 26.7, or about 14% more shots.

that's certainly not insignificant. but...a) I don't think that even come close to accounting for the difference in GAA and b) how many of those extra shots were created by rebounds by Theo himself?

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:26 AM
ari1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
perhaps you are remambering a different season, because that hasn't happened this year.

as per the defensive support...the best way I can think to quantify it is SA. Theodore IS averaging more shots per 60 minutes - 30.6 vs 26.7, or about 14% more shots.

that's certainly not insignificant. but...a) I don't think that even come close to accounting for the difference in GAA and b) how many of those extra shots were created by rebounds by Theo himself?
ok i said made like 40 saves... i am not saying he exact made 40 saves....mabye 30-35 saves !!!
and yes his rebounds killed da avs lots of games...gota agree with that.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote