HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

General Preds Talk Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2013, 11:19 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PH Factor View Post
Just found this gem as well.

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/11/2...eo-seth-jones/

'MERICA!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that could make it better is a montage of those players' highlights set to the Guile theme.

Old
11-27-2013, 09:24 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

At what point do we start talking about Marek Mazanec having an outside shot at the Czech Olympic team? The guy has been really impressive.

Old
11-28-2013, 08:30 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Forget the Olympic team - what about the Calder?

Old
11-28-2013, 10:02 AM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Forget the Olympic team - what about the Calder?
He'd have to play the entire season as our number 1 for that to happen.
Jones would still have a better chance at the Calder just because everybody knows who he is.

Old
11-28-2013, 04:28 PM
CZechSenator
#15 Jan Marek R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
At what point do we start talking about Marek Mazanec having an outside shot at the Czech Olympic team? The guy has been really impressive.
I am not sure how preliminary rosters work, on Canadian sites I read, that it doesn't matter if player was on this roster, on Czech sites I read, that player must be on the roster to play in Sochi and Mazanec was not on the roster.

Honestly, it's hard to predict, but Mazanec has two big cons. He didn't play for NT since junior and our coach has said, that he won't be trying unproven players.and obviously he is not on the prelim roster.

I think Pavelec is clear #1. Then it is hazy, but knowing our coach and hoping he is at least a little bit sane I would predict Neuvirth as #2, yeah, he is struggling, but he is somewhat proven.

There were some speculations that Mrazek could be #3, but with him in AHL I doubt that. If this was true, then Mazanec has a chance, if he stays in the NHL at least to January and continues with solid play, than he might be brought up as the talented goalie, who will benefit from the experience of OG. But don't get your hopes up, I'm afraid that it was more of a media speculation, because Mrazek has a huge hype in the Czech Republic and it would make great articles if he was in Sochi. Something like "Next Hašek" and so on.

So more realistically I think #3 will be brought from Europe and it's going to be either Salák or Jakub Kovář. And my guess is, it will be Kovář. He was outstanding at WC 2012(it counts here), he is playing solidly in KHL and so far was better than Salak at international matches this year. Plus I like him because he has played in 120 or so consecutive matches in the Czech league in 2010-12 (Glenn Hall lite )

tl dr without the Czech situation in the net
Chances for Mazanec to play at Sochi are really, really low. I think even Calder is more probable.

And I am obviously happy that another Czech goalie is having success in the NHL, plus i picked him up in fantasy, so as long as Mazanec starts, I am fan of Predators

Old
11-28-2013, 04:54 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Welcome back! Ah, the days when we had half the Czech National Team on our roster...

Old
11-29-2013, 12:42 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Let's take the contract discussion away from the Legwand thing for a second. Anyone else notice something about why his production may be up? He's hardly if at all playing on the PK. Maybe playing the PK took a lot out of his legs and now that he's primarily playing ES and PP only his numbers are up? Coincidence? I think not.
Add it to list of hypothesized excuses as to why Legwand has underperformed most of his career. We've heard them all here-- past injuries, Trotz, playing center, Wade Belak's death, line-mates (x1000), too much pressure being first pick, because his defense is so good, and on-and-on.

The real reason he's unperformed is because he only plays with highest effort selectively.

Old
11-29-2013, 09:22 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Add it to list of hypothesized excuses as to why Legwand has underperformed most of his career. We've heard them all here-- past injuries, Trotz, playing center, Wade Belak's death, line-mates (x1000), too much pressure being first pick, because his defense is so good, and on-and-on.

The real reason he's unperformed is because he only plays with highest effort selectively.
It is important to for those of us to reading your latest anti-Legwand diatribe that you also wished Sullivan played somewhere else.

Underperformed compared to what? Compared to some imaginary and arbitrary level of play that few if any players across the league meet? He is not a superstar nor is he the underperforming bum you keep trying to make him seem. He was the average performer for a $4.5mil hit when he signed. He is the average performer for a 2nd forwards selected in a draft. He is in the top third ppg-wise for players drafted since 1990.

Of course, the standards used for comparisons here are usually unrealistic. We always have people wanting to trade for that 40 goal scorer ... a top 5-8 scorer most seasons and a performance level few players consistently approach, much less meet repeatedly. We see people wanting a point per game player when career ppg guys are an about once per draft class occurrence.

Old
11-29-2013, 10:59 AM
token grinder

you don't play 1000 games in the nhl and suck. sorry.

Old
11-29-2013, 12:14 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It is important to for those of us to reading your latest anti-Legwand diatribe that you also wished Sullivan played somewhere else.
You full of BS. I've said many times that Sullivan is the best trade in our history. Not that it has anything that we do with your latest legwand excuse.

Legwand has underperformed compared to himself. You watch him in the playoffs and all of the sudden this other gear exists-- he's willing to go to net, get dirtry, play with more passion. Not surprsingly, he helps the team more on offense. That gear is mostly invisible the rest of the time. EXCEPT it has a magical way of appearing once he's due for a new contract.

It's not worth going back and forth with you-- just pointing out it's yet another 'hypothetical excuse' as to why he's been held back.

Starting your post with made up BS about Steve Sullivan... classless. No need to even try to explain anything to you if that's the approach you try to take.

Last edited by dulzhok: 11-29-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
11-29-2013, 08:28 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you don't play 1000 games in the nhl and suck. sorry.
QFT. If you play that many games in the NHL, you're pretty much considered a good player, no matter how many people you may have ticked off over the years.

Old
11-29-2013, 09:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
You full of BS. I've said many times that Sullivan is the best trade in our history. Not that it has anything that we do with your latest legwand excuse.

Legwand has underperformed compared to himself. You watch him in the playoffs and all of the sudden this other gear exists-- he's willing to go to net, get dirtry, play with more passion. Not surprsingly, he helps the team more on offense. That gear is mostly invisible the rest of the time. EXCEPT it has a magical way of appearing once he's due for a new contract.

It's not worth going back and forth with you-- just pointing out it's yet another 'hypothetical excuse' as to why he's been held back.

Starting your post with made up BS about Steve Sullivan... classless. No need to even try to explain anything to you if that's the approach you try to take.
I apologize. I relooked at the post where you stated you wished Sullivan played elsewhere (a statement you did make) and the context which I overlooked the first time (during the lockout).

That still doesn't change that your diatribes about Legwand are based on something other than fact. You've ranted about him "underperforming" then can't name a single standard by which he has underperformed ... now it's compared to himself. Anytime people use facts, you label their posts as an "excuse". The Legwand posts you made used to be funny ... they've devolved beyond pathetic and repetitive while somehow citing new fallacies each time.

Last edited by Mr. Canucklehead: 11-30-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment.
Old
11-29-2013, 10:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

A case can be made that Legwand (and most other players) are not as consistent as fans would like. Analyzing that requires actual discussion and understanding situations ... not rants how the player sucks or discounting logic as excuses. Blanket statements claiming he only performs in the post season or contract years don't hold up to even the most cursory look at his game logs.

Old
11-30-2013, 12:58 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
I apologize. I relooked at the post where you stated you wished Sullivan played elsewhere (a statement you did make) and the context which I overlooked the first time (during the lockout).
Thanks for revoking putting words in my mouth. Too bad you and others do it all the time, especially with Legwand. This thread is no different.

I've given countless breakdowns of various statistics, and I'm not going to rehash them you. You aint worth it.

I'll let you keep coming up with excuses for why he's been held back. This week it's because he's played the penalty kill. Next week/year/decade it'll be something else.

Last edited by dulzhok: 11-30-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old
11-30-2013, 08:23 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

There's one small problem in any discussion about Legwand - we don't know what would have happened had he gone elsewhere at any other point in his career, because it didn't happen.

Vinny Lecavalier might be playing for Philly after six or seven unproductive years on our front line, and Legwand might have at least one Cup under his belt had the two teams switched picks in '98.

We might have Jimmy Howard, six sticks and a bucket of pucks while Leggy was off playing on Detroit's fourth line.

Heck, we could have stolen Rick Nash from 'Lumbus while Leggy was forced to take an offer sheet from Calgary or something.

But it didn't. And we didn't. And he's here. And not there.

In the words of a wise philosopher, "He is what he is."

Old
11-30-2013, 09:32 AM
AintLifeGrand

Hopefully the Iron Bowl and GA/GA Tech end before opening faceoff tonight

Old
11-30-2013, 10:36 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Thanks for revoking putting words in my mouth. Too bad you and others do it all the time, especially with Legwand. This thread is no different.

I've given countless breakdowns of various statistics, and I'm not going to rehash them you. You aint worth it.

I'll let you keep coming up with excuses for why he's been held back. This week it's because he's played the penalty kill. Next week/year/decade it'll be something else.
I didn't put words into your mouth. I looked at the context in which you uttered them. I've also never said Legwand was held back. What I, and others, have done is look at the context of his play. It's funny that you get upset when your words are viewed without context but you repeatedly view stats without contextualization. Either context matters or it doesn't ... that applies to your words and Legwand's stats. Not either/or.

Old
11-30-2013, 04:37 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I didn't put words into your mouth. I looked at the context in which you uttered them.
You are out of context. You start a reply to my post with make believe stuff about Steve Sullivan, trying to de-credit my opinion making up stuff about some totally un-related matter. A now you are going back to look at posts 3 years ago? Let me help you in research dating back years: I've consistently said it's the best trade in our history.

And I won't continue in your hypothetical land of what' if Legwand never played the PK, "Maybe playing the PK took a lot out of his legs...Coincidence? I think not" Next week/year it'll be a different hypothetical world.

Old
11-30-2013, 06:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
You are out of context. You start a reply to my post with make believe stuff about Steve Sullivan, trying to de-credit my opinion making up stuff about some totally un-related matter. A now you are going back to look at posts 3 years ago? Let me help you in research dating back years: I've consistently said it's the best trade in our history.

And I won't continue in your hypothetical land of what' if Legwand never played the PK, "Maybe playing the PK took a lot out of his legs...Coincidence? I think not" Next week/year it'll be a different hypothetical world.
Allow me to fix your math. It was in a post eight years ago that you stated you wished Sullivan was playing somewhere else (if you look at the post where I apologized for using your words out of context, I mentioned the timeframe in which your comment was initially posted). Then I relooked the CONTEXT and apologized for citing your words without first looking at the context in which they were uttered. I did not put words in your mouth.

Now you're trying to put words into my mouth with your inaccurate attribution of a quote. Using your words and standards, that is "classless" behavior. If you're going to cut and paste words, the least you could do is look at who initially posted them.

Old
11-30-2013, 06:51 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Allow me to fix your math. It was in a post eight years ago that you stated you wished Sullivan was playing somewhere else (if you look at the post where I apologized for using your words out of context, I mentioned the timeframe in which your comment was initially posted). Then I relooked the CONTEXT and apologized for citing your words without first looking at the context in which they were uttered. I did not put words in your mouth.

Now you're trying to put words into my mouth with your inaccurate attribution of a quote. Using your words and standards, that is "classless" behavior. If you're going to cut and paste words, the least you could do is look at who initially posted them.
I see you're digging up posts from 8 years ago, and still can't find something. Nice way to spend Thanksgiving weekend.

Old
11-30-2013, 08:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I see you're digging up posts from 8 years ago, and still can't find something. Nice way to spend Thanksgiving weekend.
You're the one ranting about others putting words in your posts even when they are your words. At least when I realized that I took your words out of context, I apologized. When you put words into other people's posts, you followed up by continuing the behavior. I don't expect you to own up to your actions and apologize.

Old
12-01-2013, 06:04 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
You're the one ranting about others putting words in your posts even when they are your words. At least when I realized that I took your words out of context, I apologized. When you put words into other people's posts, you followed up by continuing the behavior. I don't expect you to own up to your actions and apologize.
I quoted you verbatim.

And yes, I'm ranting when someone is quoting me (or making up) a post from 8 years ago to try to get me in some "gotcha" scenario about Steve Sullivan (WTF did that come from). And it doesn't even exist! It was a very poor and classless attempt to to discredit my opinion. Rant deserved.

Old
12-01-2013, 06:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I quoted you verbatim.

And yes, I'm ranting when someone is quoting me (or making up) a post from 8 years ago to try to get me in some "gotcha" scenario about Steve Sullivan (WTF did that come from). And it doesn't even exist! It was a very poor and classless attempt to to discredit my opinion. Rant deserved.
No .. you quoted somebody else. Keep doubling down on your inaccuracy.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=82

Last edited by 101st_fan: 12-01-2013 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Including the link to the post inaccurately attributed to me.
Old
12-01-2013, 07:04 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The Preds demonstrated they can compete even with a decimated roster when they play within the system and have whole team effort. The Oilers game was painful to watch ... came out flat, no pressure in any zone, the effort level was not apparent. Contrast that with the Flyers game where the team lacked its two most veteran defenders, mixed up the forward lines with the return of Hornqvist, yet managed to get a point and had several opportunities to win the game. If only the team showed that level of play every game.

Old
12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
No .. you quoted somebody else. Keep doubling down on your inaccuracy.

OK, I see the Legwand has been heldback by playiing the PK is not your post. That's an honest mistake. Since you responded so hastily to it with BS about Steve Sullivan from 8 years ago in an attempt to discredit, I guess I mistakingly assumed it was you. Why you even felt the need to try and drum non-exist stuff an un-related subject from 8 years ago in a vain attempt to discredit someone... I still have no idea. Guess it's just the way you operate.

Closed Thread