HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hip/butt bone protector

Old
12-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Hip/butt bone protector

So for the umpteenth time, I fell on my left hip and I am left limping the next day. This time I just blew a tire in warmup, fell onto the ice with my leg bent and it was full contact between my hip/butt bone and the ice. My pants provide NO protection here when my leg is bent that way. It's almost like the pads open up in that position to expose the bone.

As background, I bought new pants in March. (I got Bauer Vapor 7.0s) I tried on everything because I had trouble finding pants that fit (I'm 5'10" and very thin) and I checked all of them for how they protected the hip bone. Except for the top end/designed for contact pants, nothing had any padding there.

I'm at the point where I'm seriously worried about long term damage so I want to find or make something to protect my hip.

So first question: Does anything like this exist? PHL showed me ringette pants but there's too much padding all over to fit under my pants. I really just want something to cover the outer butt bone (Femur head?) that can fit under my pants. I'm shocked this isn't a more widespread problem.

Alternative question: Thankfully my wife has taken up sewing and I think she would be table to sew some padding into a pair of jock shorts. Does anyone have suggestion for padding to use / where to find it? I think it requires more than just foam.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I used to get hip pointers here and there and they can be painful. Each subsequent fall is just that much worse. Then I got some compression shorts from Nike with the honeycomb padding in the hip and tail bone area and haven't gotten one since. I suggest picking up a pair of those. They are lightweight and immediately solved the problem.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

These are the shorts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004TR...dir_mdp_mobile

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Stickchecked

Ah, so that's what a hip pointer is. Boy do they hurt.

These shorts are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are sold in Canada. wtf???

Old
12-01-2013, 09:38 PM
AIREAYE

You could call around to see if they have Pro Combat gear. To be honest, a lot of manufacturers make padded shorts, mainly for football. I would suggest calling around and asking for that type of product. Maybe try National Sports, who carries more football and team sport stuff. Or even Nike outlet stores.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:48 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
another option maybe a bit more low profile than the pro combat's but also a bit more expensive: http://g-form.com/products/crash-shorts/

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Stickchecked

I'm shocked that these shorts don't already exist but at least they are starting to be marketed. (And from the looks of it, a lot of people are jumping into the game.) Or has hockey just been ignored?

It's a real shame, my wife is coming back from NYC on Tuesday, if I had known about these, I could have ordered a pair from Amazon. (Along with everything else we got.)

Old
12-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Canadiens1958

Hip Injury

You should get the hip injury diagnosed to know the exact nature.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 03:06 PM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I used to get hip pointers here and there and they can be painful. Each subsequent fall is just that much worse. Then I got some compression shorts from Nike with the honeycomb padding in the hip and tail bone area and haven't gotten one since. I suggest picking up a pair of those. They are lightweight and immediately solved the problem.
I've hurt my tailbone multiple times, would they help protect against that and if so where can I buy these?

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Stickchecked

Fell on my hip again last night. Not has square on as Saturday, but enough to add some pain to the area.

I'll be ordering something from the States and either eating the shipping or picking it up over the border. It's a short drive.

Of course finding one that fits me may be the challenge. I'm only finding XL and bigger.

Old
12-03-2013, 10:02 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Why not just buy the top end hockey pants you tried on? I use the CCM CL's and haven't had any issues, protection is fine, they breathe well and they're water resistant. I hate breaking in hockey pants so my preference is to buy top end when it's time and then stick with them til they start to fall apart, I don't want any gaps in protection on my lower body. As for the padded shorts Shock Doctor, Nike and I believe most stores that carry baseball or football gear will have something.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Why not just buy the top end hockey pants you tried on? I use the CCM CL's and haven't had any issues, protection is fine, they breathe well and they're water resistant. I hate breaking in hockey pants so my preference is to buy top end when it's time and then stick with them til they start to fall apart, I don't want any gaps in protection on my lower body. As for the padded shorts Shock Doctor, Nike and I believe most stores that carry baseball or football gear will have something.
Most stores in the US! lol

If I remember correctly, the only pants that I felt protected that area was the Reebok 20Ks, and they were heavy and bulky. While I play frequently, it's a rather low level of hockey. I can't justify pants designed for contact.

I'm a slight guy and because of fit I settled on the Bauer Vapor 7.0s which are really good pants. But like all of the other pants I tried, when you flex your hip, the padding opens up and exposes the upper hip.

I just called a snowboard shop and they say they have "something" that might work. I'll report back what I find.