HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

A Goalie Controversy in the Making?

Old
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
handtrick

vCash: 500
A Goalie Controversy in the Making?

Interesting interview from Vokoun and Trotz after he practiced with the splint taking full shots today.

Seems Tomas is "not at all comfortable" with the idea of rotating goalies that Trotz has suggested...

check out the video interviews on the left from Trotz and Vokoun

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/s...av=menu374_5_5

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 02:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

To echo something pred303 said recently...

Mason has played about as well as Vokoun ever has in any stretch of games, since he's been out. I know what Vokoun has done for us, but it's not exactly fair to Mason either to have him come in and play so well for so long and then just put him back to once-every-ten-days starts.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 03:16 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Mason plays well against lesser teams. His record against playoff teams isn't very good and yes many of those were his fault.

He'll make 3 outstanding saves and let in three softies 5 minutes later.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Jarnberg

I appreciate what Mason has done for us thus far. He's a good goaltender who has some games where it looks like he can't be stopped. However, he just isn't the same goalie as Vokoun. Tomas is simply a better goalie. However, giving that we can even think about having two goalies switching out duties is a nice luxury to have. However, I'd much prefer the team going with one starter.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 06:56 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I think our record against >.500 teams may be symptomatic of Mason's limits.
Don't get me wrong-- I appreciate what he's done for the team given the circumstances. I just think he is on a par somewhere between Legace and Cloutier as a whole. He will get in the zone and play great, but over more than 10 games it will even out to that level, maybe a little higher.
Here is where I am on this:
When TV is ready, he gets the nod. He and the coaches carefully consider the pace of working him back into the lineup. Let how he feels, plays, and the schedule dictate how many games he plays over the next few weeks. By all means we cannot have TV playing at 80% going into March. He needs to be on his game.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2007, 09:09 PM
vopatsrash

I'd like them to lean more towards Vokoun when he comes back, with respect paid to Mason's fine stretch during Vokoun's absence in the form of more starts than usual.

But there is probably no way Vokoun or Mason could or should singlehandedly take on the heavy load of the upcoming 6 game in 9 day stretch from 1/12 to 1/20 that includes 2 sets of back to backs with every game against a rival (CBJ-3, CHI, DET, CAL).

There is probably no better time for Vokoun to return or for a (temporary) tandem than right now.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:54 AM
saskhab

Good problem. Vokoun's the man, though. That's just his competitve nature rolling out.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
Out of curiosity, would you rather keep Mason at the deadline, or trade him for some help on the blue line? And what could he possibly get in return from, say, the Avalanche?

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 01:52 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Mason plays well against lesser teams. His record against playoff teams isn't very good and yes many of those were his fault.

He'll make 3 outstanding saves and let in three softies 5 minutes later.
You're describing Vokoun, last season, you realize...

Old
01-03-2007, 04:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
You're describing Vokoun, last season, you realize...
No, I'm not. Vokoun has never had the focus problem Mason has. Once Mason gives up a goal, hold your breath for the next 5 minutes to see if he can make a save. Colorado, Minnesota and Buffalo were all exactly like that, so were 2 of the playoff games.

Old
01-03-2007, 07:37 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
No, I'm not. Vokoun has never had the focus problem Mason has. Once Mason gives up a goal, hold your breath for the next 5 minutes to see if he can make a save. Colorado, Minnesota and Buffalo were all exactly like that, so were 2 of the playoff games.
Gotta disagree with you there. Tomas had some real issues in the early years after he let in a goal. He'd lay there on the ice like he'd been shot, then get up and play awful for a bit.

That's when they sent him to a sports psychologist, and discovered he's OCD. he's on meds for it now.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 07:42 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
Gotta disagree with you there. Tomas had some real issues in the early years after he let in a goal. He'd lay there on the ice like he'd been shot, then get up and play awful for a bit.

That's when they sent him to a sports psychologist, and discovered he's OCD. he's on meds for it now.
Even so, we are talking now, what should we do now? I tend to agree with Trig on this one.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 07:58 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Right early in his career all goalies struggle with consistancy. Mason is not "early" in his career.

Old
01-03-2007, 09:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Right early in his career all goalies struggle with consistancy. Mason is not "early" in his career.
No he's not, but nor do I think Vokoun is very consistent. Last year especially, there were times that the team was playing well enough to win, but every shot from the point was going past him.

Old
01-03-2007, 10:37 AM
PredsMan

I'm with the thought that Tomas is the go-to guy...until his play shows otherwise.

As far as Mason is concerned, he's done a fine job, and has done exactly what they're paying him 1.25 mil to do.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 10:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm with the thought that Tomas is the go-to guy...until his play shows otherwise.

As far as Mason is concerned, he's done a fine job, and has done exactly what they're paying him 1.25 mil to do.
Exactly but Mason isn't a guy that can put a team on his shoulders and say here, I'm going to carry us to this win, night after night. Something Vokoun as done numerous times for us.

No goalie is on 100%.

Old
01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Mason is "early" in his career, if you're talking about being a starter. Vokoun hasn't been considered an elite goalie for too long- and some don't consider him one now. Vokey hasn't been a starter to too long in this league, and his troubles were only corrected a couple, or three, season's ago.

However, I do believe Vokoun is the better goalie in that his ability to steal games has been better than Mason's. Could that develop for Mason if he's finally given the opportunity to start consisently like Vokoun was given with Dunham's trade? Possibly. He's proven to be a very solid goalie in handling the difficult task of being a backup tender that plays sparingly.

In the end, if Vokoun plays well, he's the known commodity. Mason is better positionally and on shootouts, but Vokoun's ability to steal games is better right now. If he's playing well, Vokoun should play the most games in order to get ready for the playoffs. Should it be the same dominant ratio of games? Probably not, but Mason and Vokoun shouldn't be doing a 50-50 split of games either.

David

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 12:22 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
Mason is "early" in his career, if you're talking about being a starter. Vokoun hasn't been considered an elite goalie for too long- and some don't consider him one now. Vokey hasn't been a starter to too long in this league, and his troubles were only corrected a couple, or three, season's ago.

However, I do believe Vokoun is the better goalie in that his ability to steal games has been better than Mason's. Could that develop for Mason if he's finally given the opportunity to start consisently like Vokoun was given with Dunham's trade? Possibly. He's proven to be a very solid goalie in handling the difficult task of being a backup tender that plays sparingly.

In the end, if Vokoun plays well, he's the known commodity. Mason is better positionally and on shootouts, but Vokoun's ability to steal games is better right now. If he's playing well, Vokoun should play the most games in order to get ready for the playoffs. Should it be the same dominant ratio of games? Probably not, but Mason and Vokoun shouldn't be doing a 50-50 split of games either.

David
The problem is they're the same age. If he's going to fix this problem, he better do it soon. Vokoun went through in his 20's not in his 30's.

Old
01-03-2007, 01:00 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
The problem is they're the same age. If he's going to fix this problem, he better do it soon. Vokoun went through in his 20's not in his 30's.
Completely agree. That's why Vokoun has the edge. Mason just didn't have the opportunity until now. Unfortunately for Mase, Vokoun has shown those abilities in the past, and if he continues to show those abilities when he returns then he gets the nod over Mason (in my eyes).

Vokoun has about a three year head start over Mason with fighting those demons.

David

Old
01-03-2007, 02:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
Mason just didn't have the opportunity until now.
David
They've both been with Nashville since 1998, both played in games in 1998, they've had the same opportunities, Vokoun just made the most of his.

Old
01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
They've both been with Nashville since 1998, both played in games in 1998, they've had the same opportunities, Vokoun just made the most of his.
Better said.

Old
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
handtrick

Trotz feels enough heat to come out after practice and say, "Tomas is still the No. 1 goaltender" to make sure this topic doesn't take on a life of its own.

However he does plan to rotate the two for a while until Tomas gets his rust off.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...RTS02/70103032

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:55 PM
irisheyes555

look TV was the #1(for a reason) before the IR. mason has performed well in his abscense, considering he is playing iron-man(no rest). but let us look at the numbers:

PLAYER GP W L GAA TOI SV SV% SHO TGA TSA PIM ENG
Chris Mason 25 15 7 2.35 1457:39 726 .927 4 57 783 4 3
Tomas Vokoun 16 11 4 2.49 941:36 447 .920 1 39 486 4 2

Vokoun has a better winning %, but mason has a better SV% and GAA(both just barely), but most of mason's stats are against lesser teams. i think that TV holds a better record against playoff teams(top 8) and +.500 teams(didn't want to add the numbers). since TV went down; mason won Det, lose to SJ, won Ott, lose Buff, loss Dall(that is 2-3 vs top 8 teams). and in the 2 wins we scored 6 goals each(god help you if you can win those).

trotz is right to ease TV back into things and considering the tough strech we will need both guys to play well. mason has held the fort, but he has hardly won the starting job. he has won most of the games he should, but hasn't really stolen a game against a top team(unless you count St or Col as a top team).

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Vokoun's stats also have 13 GA in the first two games of the season .

01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Jarnberg

I do like Trotz saying that they will rotate to ease Vokoun back in and then make Vokoun the starter.

I also think that we will see Mason more often for the rest of the season.

Nice for Trotz to come out and clear things up. Not that I thought our goalies were at odds with each other, but the last thing this team needs is a little goalie controversy mid season. We have bigger things to worry about.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote