HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I watched the 2nd WHL/Russia game and thought Leier had another strong effort. He may have earned himself an invite to WJC camp. He did take a shot off the back of his leg really late and left the game, though.
Agreed. Leier was good again, but he was better the first game. I don't see how he isn't in the WJC mix, but we have a deep team again so....

Old
11-30-2013, 11:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Laughton with a goal & two assists.

Stolarz with a win, stopped 28 of 30.

Gostisbehere with an assist.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
First, a skinny kid like Ghost is only going to gain so much weight so quickly as he fills out. He probably won't get his man build until he's 24.

I disagree with your premise re: weights, nutrition. You can't do much better than a top athletic program at college, vs. a trainer in the AHL.

More importantly, the reason all players at the NHL level lose weight and muscle mass during the season is that there is no time to lift, and you're too tired from playing so many games to do any real lifting in between. The sophistication might be there, but not the time or the energy.

That said, hockey competition is more important than weightlifting. If he really is the best player in college hockey, as the opposition coach recently said, he might be ready for the next step. But if he decides to play another year at Union, it won't be problem for me.

He's going to be an NHL player in the next couple years so patience is in order.
The biggest worry I would have is him going pro and getting it in his head he 'needed' to gain the weight... been there, done that, ended badly. Better to not force it on.

Was ~154-160 pounds at 18 (5'11) and stepped up into under 23 competition, did fine in my first year, scored a lot of goals (water polo)... but got pushed around... so went from 160 to 188 pounds in 6 months (as I hit 19) of working my arse off to compete physically, only gaining like 2% body fat while doing that... lost all my speed and stamina, ended up with x3 less goals and unable to play enough minutes... though I bossed strength wise then it did not matter. Lost 10 pounds the next summer and played great again, though never have really got my stamina back.

Ofc that is an extreme example... no-one who is sensible/has decent advice would do anything like that. But look at guys like Schenn... it can happen.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:31 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
First, a skinny kid like Ghost is only going to gain so much weight so quickly as he fills out. He probably won't get his man build until he's 24.

I disagree with your premise re: weights, nutrition. You can't do much better than a top athletic program at college, vs. a trainer in the AHL.

More importantly, the reason all players at the NHL level lose weight and muscle mass during the season is that there is no time to lift, and you're too tired from playing so many games to do any real lifting in between. The sophistication might be there, but not the time or the energy.

That said, hockey competition is more important than weightlifting. If he really is the best player in college hockey, as the opposition coach recently said, he might be ready for the next step. But if he decides to play another year at Union, it won't be problem for me.

He's going to be an NHL player in the next couple years so patience is in order.
I'm pretty sure the bulk of the games played in the AHL are on the weekends like the CHL.

Old
11-30-2013, 11:32 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Laughton with a goal & two assists.

Stolarz with a win, stopped 28 of 30.

Gostisbehere with an assist.
Awesome awesome and awesome

Old
12-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm pretty sure the bulk of the games played in the AHL are on the weekends like the CHL.
Maybe, but they play a lot more games in the NHL and AHL than they do in college.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

The only premise that disagree with you over is the ability of a collegiate hockey player to train versus an AHL player. Not even sure how you'd prove such an argument one way or the other, so I'm not going down that road other than to agree to disagree.

As I stated previously, if his game can develop at the collegiate level, I have no issue with him staying there at all. If he has nothing left to gain there from a competitive standpoint, then I firmly believe he needs to move up. I don't have any interest in rushing him to the NHL, but he needs to continue to push himself at the pace appropriate for his level of play.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:35 AM
hockeyfreak7

If the worry with Gostibehere is his weight, then you're definitely going to want him to spend that last year in college. Professional hockey players don't have nearly the same amount of time to spend gaining mass that junior and college players do. I highly doubt many NHL (or AHL) players are packing on pounds of muscle throughout the NHL season. It's simply too exhausting.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
The biggest worry I would have is him going pro and getting it in his head he 'needed' to gain the weight... been there, done that, ended badly. Better to not force it on.

Was ~154-160 pounds at 18 (5'11) and stepped up into under 23 competition, did fine in my first year, scored a lot of goals (water polo)... but got pushed around... so went from 160 to 188 pounds in 6 months (as I hit 19) of working my arse off to compete physically, only gaining like 2% body fat while doing that... lost all my speed and stamina, ended up with x3 less goals and unable to play enough minutes... though I bossed strength wise then it did not matter. Lost 10 pounds the next summer and played great again, though never have really got my stamina back.

Ofc that is an extreme example... no-one who is sensible/has decent advice would do anything like that. But look at guys like Schenn... it can happen.
This (and Luke Schenn) illustrate the dangers of excess. Gaining that much weight that fast is insane. Couturier, however, is showing that appropriate weight gain can really make a world of difference.

I don't think Gostisbehere needs to add a whole lot of weight before he makes it to the pros, but at his size, 5-10 lean pounds over a year could make all the difference in staying healthy over the rigors of a season since there is an expectation of weight loss.

Enstrom is listed at 5'10", 180lbs. Kimmo is something like 5'11", 194. Rafalski was about 5'10", 195. Ghost is 5'11", ~170.

Old
12-01-2013, 01:43 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
If the worry with Gostibehere is his weight, then you're definitely going to want him to spend that last year in college. Professional hockey players don't have nearly the same amount of time to spend gaining mass that junior and college players do. I highly doubt many NHL (or AHL) players are packing on pounds of muscle throughout the NHL season. It's simply too exhausting.
Players lose weight over a season (unless you are Dustin Byfuglien), but offseason training programs are where they add weight. I don't think that being a collegiate player prevents you from having an offseason program where you gain weight, but I still contend that the benefits available to a paid professional athlete as well as the reduced distractions of not being a student (in college no less). Girls and other things will still be distractions for a young professional or college athlete, but at least when you're getting paid to do it, there is added motivation.

Sean Couturier played last season at 200lbs and now is playing at 207-208 and it's obvious in his play that it's helping him win puck battles, in the faceoff circle, etc. Even 5 pounds of muscle would make a world of difference when you weight 170 lbs.

Old
12-01-2013, 04:05 AM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50

6'00'', 180 pounds.

6'00", 182 pounds

5'9", 181 pounds.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Appleyard

Karlsson always looks to me like he got lost on the way to Carlsbad and just turned up at a rink and was pretty damn good at hockey... guy looks like he should be a pro skater.

Old
12-01-2013, 07:02 PM
PhilaFlyers

Union-Penn St stream. Puck drop at 7:15
http://apps.ohlulz.com/ncaa/?f4m=htt...9/manifest.f4m

Old
12-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Rolex

If his size isn't an issue in NCAA play, it shouldn't be a problem going forward. He's playing against older and bigger guys than he would in Junior. I'd rather see a guy with weight issues than height ones. Weight can be overcome; height can't.
He should add fifteen pounds or so with natural maturation. Another year in college wouldn't hurt his growth. I doubt if he'd make the Flyers' top six on D next fall. If he wants to go to Union for another season, he can come on board after their 14-15 season ends.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Union-Penn St stream. Puck drop at 7:15
http://apps.ohlulz.com/ncaa/?f4m=htt...9/manifest.f4m
thanks, what's shayne's number?

nvm found it "14"

Old
12-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Stizzle

I saw a rumor on Twitter that Morin was suspended 2 games in the Q for leaving the bench during a line brawl. I haven't seen it reported any other place, though.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I saw a rumor on Twitter that Morin was suspended 2 games in the Q for leaving the bench during a line brawl. I haven't seen it reported any other place, though.
According to these two game sheets from this weekend's games that seems to be the case.

Friday's game:
http://www.theqmjhl.ca/schedule/show/game/64925

Today's game:
http://www.theqmjhl.ca/schedule/show/game/64935

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 12-01-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old
12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Gostisbehere PP goal. 5 game point streak.

Missed the goal because I turned the stream off after Union went down 4-1

Old
12-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Flyerss

Gostisbehere with 2PP goals he have a very good shot

Old
12-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Ghost with another goal.

Bomb right off the face off. Beat the goalie unscreened.

His slapshot is UNREAL.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:38 PM
PhilaFlyers

@UnionHockeyBlog 17s

It was Gostisbehere's 2nd goal of the game. He has 10 of #UnionHockey's 21 SOG tonight. His single-game high is 11 this year (LSSU, 10/19).

Old
12-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Flyerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Ghost with another goal.

Bomb right off the face off. Beat the goalie unscreened.

His slapshot is UNREAL.
the most effective guy on the PP

Old
12-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
@UnionHockeyBlog 17s

It was Gostisbehere's 2nd goal of the game. He has 10 of #UnionHockey's 21 SOG tonight. His single-game high is 11 this year (LSSU, 10/19).
10 shots through 2 periods.

Is this real life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
the most effective guy on the PP
For sure. Just a weapon.

They just feed him on the PP.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Stizzle

The 2nd Ghost goal was particularly awesome. Unions entire powerplay entails getting him one-timers. It's like watching Washington's PP getting the puck to Ovy.

Old
12-01-2013, 09:27 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Gostisbehere PP goal. 5 game point streak.

Missed the goal because I turned the stream off after Union went down 4-1
Me too.

Closed Thread