HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting questions

Old
11-30-2013, 06:32 PM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Shooting questions

Background: I am a RH shot and am still learning to shoot well.

1. I can shoot harder and more accurately to top left, bottom left, and the five hole. I have trouble shooting at the right side. Either I miss way wide or wind up shooting into the middle of the net. Are there any tips to remedy this?

2. What is the most important shot for a D man to master first?

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 08:23 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post

1. I can shoot harder and more accurately to top left, bottom left, and the five hole. I have trouble shooting at the right side. Either I miss way wide or wind up shooting into the middle of the net. Are there any tips to remedy this?

Wrist shot first although an accurate clapper is nice .Low, something that can be tipped or generate a rebound off the goalies pads.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:49 AM
Terry Yake

Quote:

1. first off, keep your head up when you shoot, that'll easily make your shot an accurate one. and just aim for the post

2. definitely the wrist shot. once you have the accuracy of your wrister down then you should start focusing on slapshots and snappers

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:

Agree. Learning to do everything with your head up makes things a lot easier, especially when trying to pick a corner to shoot at.

Being a forward, nothing is better then getting a good hard wrist shot 1-2 feet of the ice. High enough the goalie has to worry about covering more then the bottom part of the net and also gives the option to tip the puck higher up into the net or lower into the corners/five hole.

We crawl before we walk and walk before we run. Master the wrist shot and the snapshot, slapshot will come a lot more natural.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 08:57 AM
jazzykat

Thanks for the tips everybody. How do you know if the puck is on the correct part of your blade (e.g. heel for wrister, toe for snapper) or in the right orientation slap shot)?

Old
12-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Canadiens1958

On Goal

Quote:

All that matters especially at the adult rec level is getting the puck on the net, creating deflection and rebound opportunities along with scoring goals. Slap pass or a hard pass is also very important and contributes.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Canadiens1958

Feel

Quote:
Thanks for the tips everybody. How do you know if the puck is on the correct part of your blade (e.g. heel for wrister, toe for snapper) or in the right orientation slap shot)?
Experience. Over time you should get a feel for the puck on your stick blade as well as time and space situations on the ice.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Experience. Over time you should get a feel for the puck on your stick blade as well as time and space situations on the ice.
Yes, practice practice practice.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What curve are you using and how high does your stick come up in bare feet (nose, eyes, lips, etc)?

For the shot, I would say work on getting a shot that's a couple inches off the ice and can get through traffic. It's far more important to get the shot through bodies than anything else. The last thing you want is to have a shot bounce off the winger's shin pad and out of the zone for a breakaway.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 11:01 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What curve are you using and how high does your stick come up in bare feet (nose, eyes, lips, etc)?

For the shot, I would say work on getting a shot that's a couple inches off the ice and can get through traffic. It's far more important to get the shot through bodies than anything else. The last thing you want is to have a shot bounce off the winger's shin pad and out of the zone for a breakaway.

I have been practicing with 2 sticks.

1. My new game stick has a Reebok 19 curve (Sakic?) and is just a titch higher than my nose in bare feet and about at my chin (maybe a titch higher) on skates.

2. My old stick has an inglina curve and was to the middle of my mouth(lips) in bare feet.

I notice the phenomenon more with my new stick but I had the same problem with my old stick .

I realize my longer stick while it feels mostly fine is too long on dry land but I like it and I want to get used to flexing it during a shot.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When you're shooting the puck, are you hitting it closer to the heel or toe part of the blade?

Old
12-02-2013, 03:45 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
When you're shooting the puck, are you hitting it closer to the heel or toe part of the blade?
slapshot off the 1/3 closest to the toe.

snappers off the toe.

wrister deep on the heel roll to toe

Old
12-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The only thing I can think of if it's literally all your shots is that you shoot better when you are shooting across your body. You might want to work on getting a bit of movement before you shoot so you can step into the shot without having to load the core (which is a power move, but sometimes you sacrifice power for a quick shot).

Old
12-02-2013, 05:53 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
The only thing I can think of if it's literally all your shots is that you shoot better when you are shooting across your body. You might want to work on getting a bit of movement before you shoot so you can step into the shot without having to load the core (which is a power move, but sometimes you sacrifice power for a quick shot).
that might be it. I always pulled the ball to left when I played baseball so I do have that trunk rotation already programmed in.

thanks. I'll follow up on this post the next time I take 50-100 shots.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:43 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
The slap-shot is basically a longer version of the modern loaded wrist shot. Learn proper technique for the wrist shot first (move slowly @ first). When you start getting good technique, it won't matter what part of the net you're shooting @, every shot will be hard. A few general points for wrist shots: Make sure your stick isn't too long. You'll want to feel like your body is over the puck (vs the puck too far away from your body). Press the blade down into the ice as you're going through the swing motion (you'll need a suitable flex for this).

There are videos out there which demonstrates the proper technique, I think Cammalleri & Kovalev have done some.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep, check out the videos at the bottom of this post