HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team toughness

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2013, 10:49 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Just still boggles my kind that other teams can have numerous players capable of, and skilled in dropping the gloves and yet the Rangers can't seem to get even that correct.

Brian Boyle is a gamer and I give him a ton of credit but he should be a secondary pugilist. Someone who mucks it up and can drop the gloves if something needs to be done when he is out there. I'm hoping Kreider turns into the same type of fighter eventually. 2-3 fights a year when needed.

Dorsett is a scrapper. Love the guy. He can't do it all himself.

Where is anyone else? Falk will, rarely in the lineup.

It's an issue that needs to be addressed before someone like Nash drops the gloves again.

Old
12-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Per Giannone between benches in 3rd....Sestito elbows DZ in the head...skates by Ranger bench ans states "who is gonna do something, show me the guy who is gonna do something"

Bleed Ranger Blue....u think that is demoralizing or they can just shake that off or pretend to not hear it....since you are always right...please give me your take.
So demoralizing. Its almost unbelievable the Rangers were able to put together a 5-2 victory with Todd "The Demoralizer" Sestito or, as I like to call him, a retard on skates going about his clown act.

Look, I agree that toughness is a need. We have a fundamental difference about what makes up a tough team. Ill take 10 guys on the roster that can skate, forecheck, and take the body every shift over 1 big guy who possesses no NHL game and pounds peoples skulls for a living. The name of the sport is hockey. It seems the players who play it should, you know, possess the ability to play hockey. If they can fight, even better. But the guys you are endorsing stink. Which is ironic when you accuse people of wanting "soft" players that also stink.

Im also a big boxing/UFC fan. When I tune into those telecasts, I dont expect a hockey game to break out.

Old
12-02-2013, 12:02 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

I agree with most of your posts but saying Boyle should be a secondary fighter is pure insanity...Boyles gloves should never come off again..Never..I have to believe in the locker room they must talk behind his back and goof on his fighting ability....How could they not??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Just still boggles my kind that other teams can have numerous players capable of, and skilled in dropping the gloves and yet the Rangers can't seem to get even that correct.

Brian Boyle is a gamer and I give him a ton of credit but he should be a secondary pugilist. Someone who mucks it up and can drop the gloves if something needs to be done when he is out there. I'm hoping Kreider turns into the same type of fighter eventually. 2-3 fights a year when needed.

It's an issue that needs to be addressed before someone like Nash drops the gloves again.

Old
12-02-2013, 02:48 AM
trilobyte

Quote:

Falk was in the lineup and right there on the ice, but he did nothing. it's not a playoff game, they have a good lead and he just stands there. There is too much talk about who is a good fighter, sometimes a player just has to do it, win or lose, like Dorsett did. If Dorsett was trying to set an example, it was missed by the big lump #44.
Disgusting.

Old
12-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I agree with most of your posts but saying Boyle should be a secondary fighter is pure insanity...Boyles gloves should never come off again..Never..I have to believe in the locker room they must talk behind his back and goof on his fighting ability....How could they not??
Because all of em are worse fighter themselves?

Old
12-02-2013, 06:37 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
Because all of em are worse fighter themselves?
Exactly. One of the few guys willing to step up. Absolutely no reason to goof on him. Frankly, if these guys would just 'step into the ring' when necessary, it would be a step in the right direction. Even if they lose most of the fights...these are men, they'll win some too. And it will be a deterrent. Actually, no need for goons. Just some willingness to backup teammates will be enough.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:35 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Y'know...we have this Asham guy buried in the minors. Think he would bring any of this magical "toughness" we speak of?

Old
12-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

What about McIlrath? He looks like a big tough dude who fights a lot down there. But I don't know much about his hockey skills..

Old
12-02-2013, 08:28 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
They already have a carousel going on with Fauk/MDZ and Moore i don't think they need to involve a 4th guy in there.

Asham should be up ESPECIALLY if dorsett has an injured wrist.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So demoralizing. Its almost unbelievable the Rangers were able to put together a 5-2 victory with Todd "The Demoralizer" Sestito or, as I like to call him, a retard on skates going about his clown act.

Look, I agree that toughness is a need. We have a fundamental difference about what makes up a tough team. Ill take 10 guys on the roster that can skate, forecheck, and take the body every shift over 1 big guy who possesses no NHL game and pounds peoples skulls for a living. The name of the sport is hockey. It seems the players who play it should, you know, possess the ability to play hockey. If they can fight, even better. But the guys you are endorsing stink. Which is ironic when you accuse people of wanting "soft" players that also stink.

Im also a big boxing/UFC fan. When I tune into those telecasts, I dont expect a hockey game to break out.
I like a balanced team as well and as of right now the Rangers aren't balanced at all.

Who doesn't love Patrick Kane or Duncan Keith but Brandon Bolig is also on that team to keep the opposite team honest.

Av's have duchene and McKinnon but they aslo have Patrick Bordeleau.

I am not gonna sit here and tell you I don't like the heavies because that will be a lie. I am almost 40 and have been a Ranger fan for as long as I can remember. I have been to close to 200 games in that span and one of the loudest nights at the Garden that I recall was when Orr knocked out Fedoruck. It was vicious and ugly but it also sent a message to the rest of the league that we weren't to be ****ed with...Jagr put up the best numbers in Rangers history with Orr as a teammate.

Fighting is not for all...I get that but when they ask the players association if they want to remove fighting 90% say no....so, good teams understand that and take it into account when constructing their teams.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:45 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Please he does not step up..he gets punched in the face and finally has to defend himself..that isn't stepping up

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
Exactly. One of the few guys willing to step up. Absolutely no reason to goof on him. Frankly, if these guys would just 'step into the ring' when necessary, it would be a step in the right direction. Even if they lose most of the fights...these are men, they'll win some too. And it will be a deterrent. Actually, no need for goons. Just some willingness to backup teammates will be enough.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I like a balanced team as well and as of right now the Rangers aren't balanced at all.

Who doesn't love Patrick Kane or Duncan Keith but Brandon Bolig is also on that team to keep the opposite team honest.

Av's have duchene and McKinnon but they aslo have Patrick Bordeleau.

I am not gonna sit here and tell you I don't like the heavies because that will be a lie. I am almost 40 and have been a Ranger fan for as long as I can remember. I have been to close to 200 games in that span and one of the loudest nights at the Garden that I recall was when Orr knocked out Fedoruck. It was vicious and ugly but it also sent a message to the rest of the league that we weren't to be ****ed with...Jagr put up the best numbers in Rangers history with Orr as a teammate.

Fighting is not for all...I get that but when they ask the players association if they want to remove fighting 90% say no....so, good teams understand that and take it into account when constructing their teams.
Sorry, I just don't see a strong correlation here.

The '11-12 team, who didn't have a heavy before acquiring John Scott (who sucked/didnt play for the team), had the best results of any Ranger team in nearly a generation. I remember you complaining about how Prust couldn't do it himself, yet, that team got by just fine.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Jagr put up the best numbers in Rangers history with Orr as a teammate.
He also didn't have a mullet and was wearing a Ranger uniform. Just as arbitrary as using Orr as a reason.

12-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
Quote:

The '11-12 team, who didn't have a heavy before acquiring John Scott (who sucked/didnt play for the team), had the best results of any Ranger team in nearly a generation. I remember you complaining about how Prust couldn't do it himself, yet, that team got by just fine.
Mike Rupp would be a heavy no? He did keep some of the bigger guys away from Prust.

I still don't agree that heavies win games.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Mike Rupp would be a heavy no? He did keep some of the bigger guys away from Prust.

I still don't agree that heavies win games.
Forgot about him, and with good reason. A younger Rupp is the type of guy that is pretty valuable. Unfortunately, as if often the case, we got the old broken down version.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think just about everyone would like a guy like Lucic in the lineup, or even a guy like Kyle Clifford in the bottom-six, but just because we lack that player, it doesn't mean we should scrape the bottom of the barrel for a goon.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:

If I recall correctly, they also had Bickel, Deveaux, Rupp, Newbury, Sauer, still had Dubi...so, you can skew it the way you want...

Can you explain why teams have guys like Bolig, Reeves, Nolan, Bordeleau, McLaren, Orr and the like on their teams?

Why do the Bruins carry Thornton when they already have Lucic, Campbell, McQuaid, Boychuck and Chara on their team?

Is it because those teams all suck?

Old
12-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think just about everyone would like a guy like Lucic in the lineup, or even a guy like Kyle Clifford in the bottom-six, but just because we lack that player, it doesn't mean we should scrape the bottom of the barrel for a goon.
No, but you should be able to acquire one or learn how to recognize the need for that type of player and draft accordingly...

Old
12-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
If I recall correctly, they also had Bickel, Deveaux, Rupp, Newbury, Sauer, still had Dubi...so, you can skew it the way you want...

Can you explain why teams have guys like Bolig, Reeves, Nolan, Bordeleau, McLaren, Orr and the like on their teams?

Why do the Bruins carry Thornton when they already have Lucic, Campbell, McQuaid, Boychuck and Chara on their team?

Is it because those teams all suck?
I cant explain things in terms you'd understand considering your wild leaps in tying goons to winning hockey.

What I can explain is that in terms of critical team needs right now, a heavyweight ranks outside of the top 5.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Forgot about him, and with good reason. A younger Rupp is the type of guy that is pretty valuable. Unfortunately, as if often the case, we got the old broken down version.
just like Brashear.... maybe Todd Fedoruk is available. we can sign him in his mid 30's

Old
12-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
I cant explain things in terms you'd understand considering your wild leaps in tying goons to winning hockey.

What I can explain is that in terms of critical team needs right now, a heavyweight ranks outside of the top 5.
I want a Clowe type of player on this team...if that is not in the top 5 needs then you don't know what the **** your talking about.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I want a Clowe type of player on this team...if that is not in the top 5 needs then you don't know what the **** your talking about.
We had Clowe. Hes a broken down tomato can.

I want a version of Clowe from 5 years ago too. These guys you mentioned in your previous post? They're nowhere near that level.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
We had Clowe. Hes a broken down tomato can.

I want a version of Clowe from 5 years ago too. These guys you mentioned in your previous post? They're nowhere near that level.
I'd take Kyle Clifford and someone like Brandon Prust over Pouliot and Pyatt and possibly Boyle at this point. Need guys who can play the game, contribute and drop the gloves.

I like McLeod from Colorado as well.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Leetch66

Everybody knows that it gets a whole lot tougher come playoff time . Well after watching Boyle get the crap beat out of him twice within 24 hours it certainly tells me that we won't be going far in the playoffs with the roster as it stands . Nobody has the other guy's back on this club...in hockey circles...that is about as bad as it gets .

At this moment...Brian Boyle is the only real hockey player on our club as far as I'm concerned . Dorsett...honorable mention fighting with a damaged wrist . After seeing this happen...we likely can also expect Boyle to be moved...other clubs know that he is indeed a valuable 4th line guy . Just imagine Boyle as a Bruin . Our team should be force fed a steady diet of Boston Bruin videos just to see how a real TEAM works . Maybe then they might just get the message .

Old
12-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
I'd take Kyle Clifford and someone like Brandon Prust over Pouliot and Pyatt and possibly Boyle at this point. Need guys who can play the game, contribute and drop the gloves.

I like McLeod from Colorado as well.
guys Rangers management must target: Kyle Clifford, Lance Bouma (not known but a Prust type), Z.Konopka, Charlie Coyle, Zack Kassian, Jamie McGinn,Cody McLeod, Andrew Shaw, Mike Hartman, Matt Beleksey, Nick or Marcus Foligno, Jared Boll (wanted him in the Gaborik deal)

Closed Thread