HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #26 Anaheim Ducks @ San Jose SHARKS Saturday Nov 30, 2013 7:30pm PST CSNCa

Old
12-01-2013, 02:33 AM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
That's it? That's your reasoning? They got outshot by Buffalo by 5 in one game? So is Colorado a horrible team too since Buffalo outshot them? Minnesota too? What does it say about the Sharks that the Sabres got the most shots they have in a game against them? I have watched plenty of Leafs games. Their offense isn't good because they're thin up front but they're not some pushover and a lot of it is their goaltending is pretty good.

I fully expect the Sharks to win but a few of you are underestimating the Leafs...especially when they're at home. They won't be a cake walk.
No, that's not my reasoning. My reasoning is their absolutely horrendous possession numbers. Every point they earned was a result of great goaltending and lucky shooting, and they are falling back to earth.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:14 AM
DefaultSharkie6
ZeHaHa, I am Darknes

vCash: 500
ok guy i know it's been talked about but seeing better highlights that was an unfavorable puck drop on the lovejoy goal

DefaultSharkie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 03:21 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Agree completely (on both). I'm still convinced Boyle came back too soon. He's made some really poor decisions in both zones, and seems a second slower in the mental department on his passes and outlets which results in turnovers and then he can't recover.
I agree that it doesn't seem to be a physical issue. His skating and movement seem to be as good as ever. It is a mental thing these past few games.

I thought Demers really brought some fire to the rink tonight, though he was on the bad end of some unfortunate bounces. But he should not need a benching to remind him to keep playing that way.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:07 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Would you guys consider this a good sizing up game? The Ducks were down 4 defensemen I think. Allen, Souray, Beauchemin, and Sbisa are all out right now.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 07:58 AM
HaleyDestroyedNurse
2 People

vCash: 247
Not the prettiest game, but hey, we got the 2 points

HaleyDestroyedNurse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Mattb124

Folks are underestimating the ability of the Sharks to play down to poor competition. This is yet another area where they are among the best in the league.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:31 AM
stator

Is it me or is the officiating bad this year? I've been watching the Sharks for the last three years and it does seem so to me.

Other post-game thoughts:

1- Sharks still have difficulty putting the game away. What is this… "prevent defense" from the NFL where the goal is to bend not break, but bend all the way to the net? Geez, Sharks, keep pressing and scoring.

2- Nemo looked much stronger on the shoot-out but the first attempt. Confidence is coming back as it appeared to be lacking in the previous couple of SOs.

3- Keep it up Havlat. You've got moves for scoring no doubt… use them.

4- For once, passing your way to a goal worked… Thornton and Marleau. Don't let it go to your head though and go back to a passing love-fest and forget about shooting on goal.

5- Boyle did seem slow to execute his decisions (slow by his standards, not mine ). So I agree what has been posted here. I've not noticed this in his previous games and this could be something simple like an ear infection or similar. His pre-game interview seemed to rule out a nasty cold or recovery from the flu.

6- Perry is dirty, pig mud dirty.

7- Sharks handled the Duck's physical aggression well. Ducks seem to be more focused on physical aggression against the Sharks rather than scoring. It appeared to me that Mike Brown had the green light from the bench for that fight to put the Ducks on notice.

8- Perry is dirty, did I say that?

9- The blocked shot flipped over Nemo was not top NHL caliper for a goalie. I am betting he wished for a do-over there. It appeared to me that the shot would have sailed over the crossbar if left untouched as well (although I've not seen the highlights of that shot).

10- Perry is filthy dirty. He's gonna injury someone if he has not done so already.

11- Should not have that hold on a Shark going for a scoring shot resulted in a penalty shot? I thought so at the time.

stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
No, that's not my reasoning. My reasoning is their absolutely horrendous possession numbers. Every point they earned was a result of great goaltending and lucky shooting, and they are falling back to earth.
It doesn't mean that it can't happen again. Even with how Toronto is now, they are not worse than what they were when the Sharks last played them and chances are it will be a tight game mainly due to better goaltending. Sure the Sharks are better but we've seen how the Sharks have played against the lesser teams around the league, with or without Burns is not really an excuse, they haven't really skated those kinds of teams out of their building. I wouldn't expect them to against a team that has done well at home like Toronto either.

If anything though, the game could be a slumpbuster for the power play since the Leafs suck at the kill. However, they are plenty capable of making the Sharks pay for taking penalties against them as well so they need to be disciplined.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultSharkie6 View Post
ok guy i know it's been talked about but seeing better highlights that was an unfavorable puck drop on the lovejoy goal
It was pretty bad, but at least it hit the ground.

Remember the face off in ot of 01-02? Game 5 at stl, series 2-2, game 2-2 in ot and the puck didnt even touch the ground, then immediately bryce salvador scores the ot winner.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Phu

Ouch! glad it wasn't anything worse.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2013, 01:52 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultSharkie6 View Post
Yeah Don Cherry will not like that one

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 12:30 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438016

Fraser's take on Pavs' shootout goal

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

so fraser wrote a lot of words but didn't really say anything we didn't know, or couldn't find ourselves. and he certainly didn't answer there questions lol.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
so fraser wrote a lot of words but didn't really say anything we didn't know, or couldn't find ourselves. and he certainly didn't answer there questions lol.
He actually did. He said it would be deemed legal by a technicality. People are just whining to whine on this one. He put on the brakes but he didn't completely stop and neither did the puck.

Old
12-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Clowe Me

I don't see what's so hard for Ducks fans and commentators to see. Pavelski didn't completely stop and the puck continued to move forward.

Learn the rules.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:47 AM
stator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
I don't see what's so hard for Ducks fans and commentators to see. Pavelski didn't completely stop and the puck continued to move forward.

Learn the rules.
The rules are interesting and seemingly contradictory, but supports Pav's shootout move. The rules that apply come from Rule 24- Penalty Shot. Key statements are:

1- 24.2, first paragraph: The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line…
2- 24.2, first paragraph: any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.
3- 24.2, 3rd paragraph: The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion.

So the first two are quite clear in that motion has nothing to do with the shooter, only the puck. It must be in motion towards the goal. The third seems to say that backward motion of the puck is okay as long as something (either the player or the puck) has continuous motion. It does not specifically say which though.

What's interesting is that players who loose the puck on their approach should not give up as long as the puck is going forward. I've seen players give up in those circumstances.

I've also seen players pulling the puck back in an opposite motion to deke left and go right. However, nobody complains on HFboards for those. We just tend to see it as stick handling ala Datsyuk.

It is clear that Pavelski has been studying the rules and developing a shoot out style that gives him an edge. Good for him.

stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 08:49 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
It was technically legal, but you all know we'd complain about it too if it happened against us.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
It was technically legal, but you all know we'd complain about it too if it happened against us.
Not if you accept that the rules are mostly guidelines where they tell the refs something different as a standard to call things for. With penalty shots/shootouts, it's pretty much anything goes as long as the guy doesn't stop completely or go backwards save for the spin-o-rama. People are way too literal with the rules and expect it to be called as such and it just isn't that way.