HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

CCM RBZ Skates - Long Term Review

Old
10-22-2013, 07:22 AM
beaverBFP

vCash: 500
I bought RBZ 70s a month ago and about 10 skates in the rivets on one of my skates popped out. Thankfully my buddy works at PHL and got them fixed. He said the holes weren't even drilled right and that they probly wont last too much longer Should I return them and get a new pair?

Besides this nothing bad to say about the skates, the 4mm extra on the holder is pretty noticable and they molded really well.

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:08 AM
AIREAYE

Ask if you could warranty them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
AcidJazz

Saw these on ****** today:

http://i.imgur.com/XCppaZ5.jpg

Does anybody have any information on them?

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 12:13 PM
AIREAYE

They were a leak, a mistake. I feel bad for the guys at CCM for having this happen.

There is no other info on them as of yet, not that that's relevant to this thread...

Last edited by AIREAYE: 10-22-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old
10-22-2013, 05:43 PM
goodriddance628

they're pretty awesome and they could probably sell a ton if they did release them

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 02:20 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Used the RBZ's for the 4th time last night, really starting to like them. Had to get used to the size drop from 8.5 to a 7, had to figure out which socks I like to wear and how to tie them where I didn't get hot spots. Coming from 11K Pumps I was used to not tying them that tight and then pumping them 7-8 times for comfort. So far so good though, glad I spent the money.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2013, 02:11 PM
goodriddance628

so I have only about 5 skates on my RBZ 90's and the top eyelet cracked and is tearing up my laces, LHS recommended not replacing the eyelet with anything other then a CCM eyelet, I just sent CCM customer service an email asking how I can have it replaced under warranty I bought the skates on September 22nd hopefully they take care of this or I will be trying to return them to Total Hockey where I bought them

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Great review. I just purchased the RBZ 40s to get me thru tryouts, will purchase the RBZ 60s if I make the team.

I noticed the boot is very stiff and wide around the ankle, which causes too much room around my ankle, so my ankles moves around while skating. I am strongly considering dishing out the 40 dollars to purchase Superfeet Yellows, and will bake my skates. After baking the skates, will the ankle problem be gone? Should I bake my skate with the Superfeet Yellow in my skate?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2013, 10:46 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
Great review. I just purchased the RBZ 40s to get me thru tryouts, will purchase the RBZ 60s if I make the team.

I noticed the boot is very stiff and wide around the ankle, which causes too much room around my ankle, so my ankles moves around while skating. I am strongly considering dishing out the 40 dollars to purchase Superfeet Yellows, and will bake my skates. After baking the skates, will the ankle problem be gone? Should I bake my skate with the Superfeet Yellow in my skate?
The skate changes pretty drastically from before baking to after baking. It literally melts around your foot and ankle. I don't know what the other RBZ users experience has been but I couldn't imagine skating in these without baking them.

Old
11-29-2013, 10:59 AM
AIREAYE

Baking doesn't have as drastic an effect on the lower models as the higher ones. Though for his problem, definitely make sure the upper ankle wraps around when you lace it.

Old
11-30-2013, 01:31 PM
ole mucker
Rookie User

Rbz - 80 & 90

Thanks for the info on the RBZ line. Do you know what the differences are in the rbz80 & rbz90? I'm going to try them on for fit soon. Does one have more padding/protection than the other?

thanks

ole mucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 08:36 PM
AIREAYE

Look on CCMs website for the spec differences. The 90 is slightly stiffer and has slightly better heat moldability. Protection difference is negligible and isn't really a relevant discussion point anymore. Skates agent designed to protect, but perform.

Old
12-01-2013, 07:33 AM
ole mucker
Rookie User

Thanks, I'll check out the website. I would think protection is still a talking point on skates though - some skates must be better than others. I've been wearing ccm super tacks 652 for the past 12 years, and want to know that I'm getting a decent skate overall.

Old
12-01-2013, 08:56 AM
AIREAYE

Well, generally, the stiffer the boot, the better the protection, so as you go up the skates are stiffer. At the same time, no one's testing protection by firing shots at the skate. If you want protection, get those shot blocker add-ons but as I said, protection isn't inherently a design feature, but rather a by-product of stiffeners and foams and such.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:14 PM
ole mucker
Rookie User

Ok thanks. I haven't tried the RBZ yet...but I did try on a pair of ccm u12, and the fit was good. I may end up going with those.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Shaun Bisson

Surprisingly enough, I was an 8.5 in my Grafs and an 8.5 in my RBZ's. Thought it was going to be much different.

Shaun Bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 01:55 PM
ole mucker
Rookie User

So I bought the CCM U12s, it's the best fit out of about 6 different skates I tried. I haven't baked or sharpened them yet - just making sure these are the ones for me. Weird though, I went with a 9.5, which feel pretty good. But I was an 8.5 in my old super tacks, so I'm thinking I may need to head back to store and try on the 8.5 (the guy at the store didn't suggest an 8.5, he measured my foot and told me I was a 9.5. (I'm a 10 shoesize).

Old
12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole mucker View Post
So I bought the CCM U12s, it's the best fit out of about 6 different skates I tried. I haven't baked or sharpened them yet - just making sure these are the ones for me. Weird though, I went with a 9.5, which feel pretty good. But I was an 8.5 in my old super tacks, so I'm thinking I may need to head back to store and try on the 8.5 (the guy at the store didn't suggest an 8.5, he measured my foot and told me I was a 9.5. (I'm a 10 shoesize).
Not saying he's wrong, but that's a pretty small drop compared to average. Good idea to double check for sure. Some skate Brannocks are different than others. Go by feel and trial/error.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:07 PM
boo10

I just picked up a pair of U+CL which fit pretty much the same as the U+12. I'm a 9 or 9.5 shoe and got a 7.5 in the CL, (Could have squeezed into a 7). If you're shoe size is 10 then a 9.5 U+12 sounds like it would be too big for you.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2013, 02:15 PM
ole mucker
Rookie User

Thanks for the feedback. Yep I'm going back to store for sure to try on 8.5 and a 9.0.

Back to your crazy lights, nice purchase. But I tried them on, and they were really uncomfortable, especially in the arches. But the U12 for some reason felt a lot better. Every foot's different I guess.

I was told to give Graff a try as well.

Old
12-05-2013, 02:22 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole mucker View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yep I'm going back to store for sure to try on 8.5 and a 9.0.

Back to your crazy lights, nice purchase. But I tried them on, and they were really uncomfortable, especially in the arches. But the U12 for some reason felt a lot better. Every foot's different I guess.

I was told to give Graff a try as well.
They should both make a big difference for the better once baked. That's the good thing about CCM skates; they mold tremendously well.

Old
12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

I'm about 10+ games in on the RBZ's and I can say without a doubt they are the best skates I've ever used. The heat molding and custom inserts are great, no issues with the eye lets, very comfortable.

Old
12-06-2013, 06:58 PM
AIREAYE

At about the 5 month mark on these, so here's an update:

Changes :

The 4 month long experiment with the CCM Custom arch support insoles (MED) is now over and I've replaced them (permanently going forward) with Superfeet Yellow.

I also did a second bake when I put SF back in a month ago, for a more accurate mold of my foot's posture.

I switched out the CCM insoles not because I didn't like them, but because SF gave me marginally better better stability and control without sacrificing comfort. The CCM insoles are purely a support and comfort product, designed to support 3 different arch heights (Low, Medium, High) and should be an excellent product for someone looking for that specific benefit. I, however, have never had arch problems, so the benefit and comfort of that wasn't lost when I switched over. SF is a better performance product for myself.

Performance: As solid as ever, and for my size and playing frequency, not a huge concern. What you'd expect from an $800 skate.

Fit and Comfort: No changes, still amazing, especially with the second bake.

Durability: An area that I'll need to pay attention to going forward. Check out the pictures and captions below.

Tendon guard on left skate is losing some stitching in the corner and starting to separate. The guard itself (on both skates) is still structurally sound but has softened a bit with break-in. That itself isn't concerning, though you should watch out to go easy on that area.

Toecap and outsole are showing the first signs of separation. No problems now, but might be down the road. Will keep it monitored and maintained.

Similar concern on the right skate.

Old
12-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

So due to a recent development I have the option of receiving a pair of the White LE RBZ 75s. Most of what I'm reading about the RBZ line is very positive, but basically it's those vs. the Bauer Supreme One.6 boots.

Would you guys go with the RBZ 75s or the Supreme One.6s?

Also are they home bakeable or do you guys usually get it done somewhere?

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 01:25 PM
smcgreg

Youth RBZ

Aireye, you may not be able to answer definitively on this, but since you seem to be the go to guy for skate fit AND RBZs, I'll ask anyway. Will the youth RBZ follow the same general rule of thumb about dropping a size? Do they generally fit similarly to the adult? By that I mean, in your thread about skate sizing, you say this regarding the RBZ

Wide boot, larger/deeper/wider toecap
Round, deep anatomical heel pocket
Deeper boot

Would that still hold for the youth?

For example, my son currently is a 13.5 in Supreme youth. He still has a bit of time in them, but is running out of steel. So, I was thinking about going to a 13 or 13.5 RBZ to try that skate out while I can still get a youth skate and it will only cost me $150, before having to shell out $400 for a skate I'm not sure about.

Any insight, even educated guess, would be appreciated.

Thanks

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote