HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Samsonov=The weakest link !

Old
01-03-2007, 11:02 AM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Samsonov=The weakest link !

Even if his line did well last nite against the Bolts, he was obviously the worst Habs' forward on the ice, doing his usual circles on the ice, but creating a big NOTHING. In the meantime the three other left wingers - Perezhogin, Higgins and Latendresse- were really busting their ***** out there.

I dunno how possible it is to trade him at this time of the season, but Gainey should really try to move him out of Montreal, even for a couple of draft picks.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Shabutie

Samsonov could easily be dealt and even if the return isn't great, it would give Latendresse, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn a chance to take his spot...And imo all 3 of those guys would work better with Plekanec than Samsonov.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HCH

I have to agree. Sammy isn't adding a lot these days.

He will pick up the puck in the offensive corner and begin skating toward the blueline while trying to stickhandle through everyone. That forces the defensemen to move back for fear of him being checked and resulting in a breakaway.

He stickhandles around the perimeter and more often than not loses the puck. And we haven't even begun to talk about the defensive zone deficiencies.

In contrast, Latendresse, Higgins and Perezhogin try to go to the front of the net and seem to be willing to pay the price.

In the meantime, Kovalev and Plekanec seem to be playing better together. I would love to see Kostsitsyn on that line for two or three games to evaluate what he could do.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Samsonov could easily be dealt and even if the return isn't great, it would give Latendresse, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn a chance to take his spot...And imo all 3 of those guys would work better with Plekanec than Samsonov.
Agree 100%.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Even if his line did well last nite against the Bolts, he was obviously the worst Habs' forward on the ice, doing his usual circles on the ice, but creating a big NOTHING. In the meantime the three other left wingers - Perezhogin, Higgins and Latendresse- were really busting their ***** out there.

I dunno how possible it is to trade him at this time of the season, but Gainey should really try to move him out of Montreal, even for a couple of draft picks.
I think you're being harsh...all the forward played fairly well last night. The two worst players on the ice for the Habs last night were by far the pairing of Rivet/Bouillon.

Ugghhh

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:12 AM
flappuck

Worst was Downey... oh wait, we're talking hockey players here?
Nevermind then...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Sammy will be alot harder to move then you think, no one is going to want a guy making money like he is and on pace for less then 40pts and 15 goals, like it or not hes here to stay.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
FTowwn

sammy, you are the weekest link.....goodbye (hopefully)

his contract isnt needed and neither is he on the second line. Both Latendresse and Kostitsyn could easily take his spot on the second line for a couple million$$ cheeper.

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 11:58 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:

Oh, really?

I still remember you attacking me for criticizing Sammy earlier. What's with a sudden change of mind?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 02:23 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

Im still hoping that the second line will come together as the 2 Russians have top flight talent and having 3 good lines will be required come playoff time.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

You might get a finder's fee for linking Gainey up with a taker. But aren't you concerned that in a secondary trade Samsonov might eventually end up in Boston, where he was a scoring threat?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Habs

Quote:
Even if his line did well last nite against the Bolts, he was obviously the worst Habs' forward on the ice, doing his usual circles on the ice, but creating a big NOTHING.
He skated well, opened up a lot of ice for the others. Downey was the worst forward, but somehow I think you'd still argue the point.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
You might get a finder's fee for linking Gainey up with a taker. But aren't you concerned that in a secondary trade Samsonov might eventually end up in Boston, where he was a scoring threat?
Not the least bit...cuz our 2nd line would be better than it is, and so would our fourth (with Samsonov being traded, we'd have the cap space to call up Lapierre for the rest of the season).

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
He skated well, opened up a lot of ice for the others. Downey was the worst forward, but somehow I think you'd still argue the point.
I gotta agree. He was fine, he wasn't amazing but he played well. He needs to break out of this slump and a clicking second line will help him with that.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

It's the worst to have our 2nd worst forward in Samsonov on the ice for 15 minutes than your worst for 5 minutes....

I mean it's OK to admit that Bob and crew and some fans might have been wrong. It's quite easy to see that Samsonov is declining. Still pretty young to do so but as strange as it sounds, he seemed to be better in the Old NHL where the clutching and grabbing allowed him to have more chances to score instead of having the opposing team just looking at him doing his circles until his shift is over. Until he doesn't drive the net, he's not scary.

Don't kid yourself, Kovalev is the one opening the play for his teamates not Sammy.

But we're stuck with him, or we find another team desperately in need of a veteran still thinking he could score for an unknown prospect a la Kaigorodov.....Are we willing to go that way? I would say yes.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Assuming that Samsonov isn't going to be all that easy to move, I figure we might just as well keep him until the off-season. He isn't hurting us as a 2nd line winger. He can really only get better. But even if he does get better, I have to think his $3.5M can be used much more efficiently in our lineup next season. Still, no reason to purge him for no reason in the middle of a successful season. Or even at the deadline. If he's going to be purged outright for almost no return, it might as well be in the offseason.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:23 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
There is no guarentee anyone would do any better. If a 28 year old former rookie of the year is your weekest link it is time to quit whining. Rivet and Boulion are marginal at best. At this point AHL calibre

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:43 PM
bjac

Quote:

And what message would that send to an UFA thinking about signing in Montreal? "You have 40 games, if you don't do well, you're gone, regardless of the multiyear contract..."

Murray = Weakest Link

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 03:54 PM
RanfordIsGod

you guys think he's terrible now... wait until he only half ***** it in the playoffs... felt that sting last year. I am SOOOO glad he rebuffed K-Lowes offer and we got Sykora instead. For cheaper no less. Hope things turn around for him for your guys sake. Hey just think it coulda been worse you coulda signed Peca. OUCH

RanfordIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

But we're stuck with him, or we find another team desperately in need of a veteran still thinking he could score for an unknown prospect a la Kaigorodov.....Are we willing to go that way? I would say yes.
I dont know where Im going
But, I sure know where Ive been
Hanging on the promises
In songs of yesterday
An Ive made up my mind,
I aint wasting no more time
But, here I go again
Here I go again

Tho I keep searching for an answer,
I never seem to find what Im looking for
Oh lord, I pray
You give me strength to carry on,
cos I know what it means
To walk along the lonely street of dreams

An here I go again on my own
Goin down the only road Ive ever known,
Like a hobo* I was born to walk alone
An Ive made up my mind

Im just another heart in need of rescue,
Waiting on loves sweet charity
An Im gonna hold on
For the rest of my days,
cos I know what it means
To walk along the lonely street of dreams

An here I go again on my own
Goin down the only road Ive ever known,
Like a hobo* I was born to walk alone
An Ive made up my mind

But, here I go again,
Here I go again,
Here I go again,
Here I go...

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Ghost of Saku

How long did it take Bonk to find and adjust to his role with the team?
Sammy's a keeper, unless some big trade falls into Gainey's lap

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Maxpac

For our top 6 forwards the weakest link is Micheal Ryder. he's the one that looks out of place with the guys. Sergei Samsonov brings alot of talent, speed even if he strugled alot to play the freackin system placed by Carbs. Ryder can't catch a pass, can't make one, can't deke, won't hit anymore, his goals are lucky deflections just like yesterday's... Franckly he doesn't bring anything to the table anymore that can't be replaced by Kostitsyn or Latendresse, both are already better players then Ryder imo. Gainey said it would take half a year for Samsonov to adjust and i'm sticking with it

For our bottom 6, it's Garth Murray, really not that great on the pk, another one that can't catch a pass or deke, doesn't really have a great physique to be a plummer like Lappierre does. Both are completely expandable

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Both Ryder and Samsonov are good enough NHL players. The real problem with Samsonov is his cap hit. Let's not mention the fact people had their minds made up before he even took a shift on the ice.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Both Ryder and Samsonov are good enough NHL players. The real problem with Samsonov is his cap hit. Let's not mention the fact people had their minds made up before he even took a shift on the ice.
I have to say I was (surprisingly even to myself in retrospect) not predisposed against the Samsonov signing. I actually (for some reason) thought it would give us a dangerous 2nd line. But I also never expected Latendresse to play as well as he has, nor did I really think Kostitsyn was going to prove as quasi-definitively as he has thus far that he's ready too. So I've been ready for quite a while to change my tune on Samsonov and send him packing. And yes, it is mostly a cap hit thing. But the cap is a big thing. Especially when the ultimate repercussions of our cap situation could be felt with the loss of a player or players (Markov, Souray, even Bonk and Johnson) who IMHO are bigger contributors than Samsonov. Ryder is still cheap enough and productive enough to escape that criticism handily. If he fails to score 25 goals and wants $3M+, however, he can join the same doghouse queue next year.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
How long did it take Bonk to find and adjust to his role with the team?
Bonk is a role player, but would you be so kind to explain me what exactly is Samsonov's role on this team?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote